My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring a radical deterioration of the US standard of living (or the speedy collapse of the PRC, as predicted by SnakeBoy) middle-class manufacturing jobs aren't coming back to without industrial policy, i.e., public investment.

This week a U.S.-government backed commission of technology experts completed a three-year review of the country’s artificial intelligence capabilities, urging the development of a new national technology strategy to stay compe ive with China.

The National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence (NSCAI) has been studying how artificial intelligence and machine learning can address U.S. national security and defense needs. It recommended spending billions of dollars more on research, diversifying the American industrial supply chain for microchips and other high-tech products, and reforming immigration policies to attract talented researchers and workers.
    https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pa...rtisan-support

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US semiconductor companies have 47% of the global chip sales market, but only 12% are manufactured in the US.
    Taiwan and Samsung in South Korea are developing 3 nanometer fabs while the US does not yet have a 7 nanometer fab. Intel has announced that its 7 nanometer fab won’t be ready for production until late 2022 or early 2023. This leaves the U.S. without the means to make the most advanced chips.
    https://asiatimes.com/2021/03/us-fig...ip-production/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Globalist Capitalism always provide the perfect solution ... Global Capitalists.

Other countries have national industrial policies, like China who is beating USA's laissez-faire flabby ass and who owns the 21st as USA withers into permanent decline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Port of Yantian backed up by COVID outbreak.

Some industry experts are already warning this delay could impact shipments for the December holidays, Woitzik said.

“This is really what’s on everyone’s mind,” he said. “The carriers are canceling most of the port calls to Yantian until at least the middle of July.” That means a lot of exports won’t leave the Chinese port until then, he said.

While some exporters may move their goods to other ports, not all will follow suit, Woitzik said. Peak holiday shipping season starts in August, he said.

“That’s when companies start to ship their products to get them on the shelves in time for the holidays,” he said. “This backlog only adds to the volumes of containers waiting in line to be transported.”

The delays at Yantian would likely hold up exports of electronic consumer goods, electrical machinery, household appliances, medical equipment, auto parts and furniture, Woitzik said.

“These products have thinner margins and are likely to get delayed,” he said. “Walmart and Home Depot can be impacted and see shortages because they have logistics bases around that port. Basically, the shipping lines are taking the highest-bidding shippers. Usually, those bidders are the high-value electronic consumer goods.”
    Over 90% of the world’s electronics are exported out of the Port of Yantian. According to FreightWaves SONAR data, the largest-named consignee for the port is TV maker TTE Technologies. Other major exporters include Tesla, Williams-Sonoma, QVC, JoAnn Fabrics, Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, Ikea, Walgreens and Hasbro.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/covi...f-yantian.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Climate change related, likely food insecurity and inflation for advanced countries.

The world is expected to see a significant rise in the frequency, duration, and intensity of extreme weather events. This column examines the macroeconomic effects of global food commodity price increases that are caused by global harvest and weather disruptions, and finds that the decline in economic activity is substantial and greater in advanced than in low-income countries. The findings suggest that the consequences of climate change for advanced countries may be greater than previously thought, and the strong rise in food prices since the outbreak of COVID-19 could seriously impede the recovery.
    https://voxeu.org/article/global-wea...nomic-activity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool roundup of supply chain stories

Thread Information