Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hollinger says LaVine is the most likely target of Philly. If Philly included draft compensation, I might be able to see it. But straight up...that's not happening.

After a short list of obvious targets, most of whom aren't on the market, Philly should look at trading Simmons into pure cap space to generate a TPE. Then they could target another player with the TPE, such as Lowry or Lonzo Ball. They'd probably have to incentivize receiving team with a young player or a pick to help offset the pain of Simmons' contract.

One weird scenario is reuniting Lowry and DeRozan in Philly. Their current team minus Simmons but plus Lowry and DeRozan would have beat the Hawks fairly easily. The 76ers won the series in terms of total points scored. Simmons and Rivers deserve all the blame they're receiving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, wait...some of you can't be serious???
    Simmons on a max deal when we already have the worst spacing in the league?
    yeah-the spurs need stretch wings and bigs. we already have enough shrink bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Spurs wanting anything to do with McCollum contract. Actually a 3 way deal where Simmons goes to Portland, McCollum and DDR go to Sixers, and Spurs get Covington, Hill, and Seth Curry.
    Not sure I'd do that
    First DDR is an UFA- so sign and trade.
    Second you'd be taking three guys over 30 who are essentially role players and still have $ on their contracts. If decent picks came with it yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a first overall pick. There wasn’t a lot, OTHER THAN HIS SHOT, that needed working on.

Folks, this is how you acquire an All NBA player. He’s a distressed asset. If he were perfect, they wouldn’t be thinking of trading him.
    Uh his shot is kind of a big deal. He is a complete non factor on offense. He is basically Tony Allen with better passing. He sucks. Anthony Bennet was a #1 pick too. Doesn't mean

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should the Spurs take a chance on Simmons? Maybe. It’s up to Simmons though. He’s not a hard worker - he clearly isn’t putting in the work. And now to add to it he’s checked out mentally. He need to decide if basketball matters to him.

Rich Paul needs to find him a place where basketball is the sole focus. He can’t be out in these streets partying.

Philly is an unforgiving town. Reminds me a bit of what went down with Markelle Fultz.

And ya’ll do realize if by some weird cir stance the Spurs land Simmons, they have to keep Patty to babysit him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seriously don't get why any spurs fans want another player who cannot shoot at all or really score just because he is a good perimeter defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh his shot is kind of a big deal. He is a complete non factor on offense. He is basically Tony Allen with better passing. He sucks. Anthony Bennet was a #1 pick too. Doesn't mean
    Anthony Bennet never made an ASG, All NBA, or All Defense. Simmons has made 3,1, and 2, respectively. Your comparison is crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Bennet never made an ASG, All NBA, or All Defense. Simmons has made 3,1, and 2, respectively. Your comparison is crap.
    Plenty of players have made the all star game or all nba teams. Demar derozan has 4 all stars and 2 all nba selections. Does that mean we should hang onto him? His accolades mean Jack . His team lost (again) because he is making max money and provides nothing on offense besides passing. Simmons is trash no matter what past accolades you bring up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could say the same thing about DeRozan and his 3 shot, Simmons has had years to fix his shot, he chose not to, just like Derozan
    It's not fair to say Derozan didn't try to improve his game. Derozan has improved every single part of his game (except for Defense ) and became more of a facilitator. He has been a good soldier, whatever the team asked him.

And earlier this season, Demar tried to put up more 3's. But it's more of a personnel problem or lack thereof. In the beautiful game, the ball finds the best open shot. Even Tony got a great catch and shoot open shot.

It takes time, and I've seen them doing double picks, several passes at the starts of games with White as the primary PG, but still not crisp passes and not as effective, and regretfully found themselves getting behind in the scoring column in the 1st quarter and they go back to ISO plays.

I'm not a big fan of Demar but to say Simmons is better than him, he is not. As people have said, Simmons has no shots at all. Demar at least has the mid-range and arguably the best at it.

Demar's defense and lack of 3 points is the problem. The Spurs have found ways to hide Tony/Mills lack of defense before, and Demar is bigger and more athletic. He also has better shooting form than Tony. This team just needs more time together, which Covid derailed almost the last 2 seasons without much practice. DJ is coming off a great season. White hopefully stays healthy, and Keldon/Lonnie/Devin and co need to up their games and be more consistent. Poeltl is NOT a starting C. Spurs need one who can pass and shoot in a beautiful game. I rather start Dieng. Hopefully they can sign a John Collins type in the free agency.

I'm not a big fan of Demar. But it is what it is. With luck they can S&T/package for a 1st tier player. Demar is not. He is a 2nd tier. But Simmons is an overrated 1st tier, and not a good 2nd tier imo because of his lack of shooting skills. A comparison to Pippen is laughable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plenty of players have made the all star game or all nba teams. Demar derozan has 4 all stars and 2 all nba selections. Does that mean we should hang onto him? His accolades mean Jack . His team lost (again) because he is making max money and provides nothing on offense besides passing. Simmons is trash no matter what past accolades you bring up
    Math Lesson: DeMar DeRozan is 31. Ben Simmons is 24. Only one of them plays elite defense and is 6’11”. Yet another crap comparison.

Just exchanging Simmons for DD, we probably land top 4-5 in the west. No other changes. I don’t care if the offense was still gummed up. With Simmons, White, DJ, Vassel, the defense would be ELITE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Math Lesson: DeMar DeRozan is 31. Ben Simmons is 24. Only one of them plays elite defense and is 6’11”. Yet another crap comparison.

Just exchanging Simmons for DD, we probably land top 4-5 in the west. No other changes. I don’t care if the offense was still gummed up. With Simmons, White, DJ, Vassel, the defense would be ELITE.
    The math lesson means nothing your argument was that he was good because he made an all nba team and a couple all star games, my contention is that is irrelevant because a lot of underserving players get those accolades. Simmons is also gifted those all-star games since philly is usually a top seed, and they tend to give top teams 2 all stars minimum. the East sucks too I'm not arguing who is better overall, but my point is Simmons is not a game changer and paying max money to a severely limited offensive player is incredibly dumb. Yes our defense would be elite, but we'd get embarrassed in the playoffs every year like Philly, and we dont have any even half as good as Embiid on the roster so that 4-5 spot is probably a pipedream. NYK showed that elite defense with 0 offense means nothing in the postseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that the defense would be an elite defense is the only part of this hypothetical that has me not completely opposed to the idea of a simmons additions/derozan subtraction deal. but that would all depend on what the other spurs moves were. i'd have to see some additions to the offense for me to buy in. of course there is another option: the spurs could just go the cheaper route and draft garuba. unless they are going after offense in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How do you get to 100 pts with Simmons and no other changes? Defense is great but teams are averaging 120+ and expect them to win and be 4-5?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do have Chip Engelland on the coaching staff. If he could develop even one consistent shot and free throws he'd be elite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do have Chip Engelland on the coaching staff. If he could develop even one consistent shot and free throws he'd be elite.
    The fact that he hasn't worked on it at all in 5 years is a bad sign. He even said last night "I am who I am" just do some research on the kid and you'll see he's known for being a diva with a poor work ethic and bad at ude

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that he hasn't worked on it at all in 5 years is a bad sign. He even said last night "I am who I am" just do some research on the kid and you'll see he's known for being a diva with a poor work ethic and bad at ude
    This. You know what you're getting . Dude has never and probably will never be a "scorer". He lives off of his defense and passing skills. Not to say he isnt talented ,but it isnt like hes going to transform into something hes not. Now ive heard demar and lonnie straight up for ben ,and maybe if im sanantonio i would listen to that scenario assuming demar would even agree to go to phili

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not in a marked sense, if at all. No matter how low Simmons' stock is, no way they'd do this just for the 7 year age gap and the fact that DeRozan, while not a literal non jump shooter, is a virtual non 3-point shooter too.

Simmons being the centerpiece for Lillard or Beal, if/when they become available, is most likely a pipe dream at this point. McCollum+ feels like selling low, but Embiid is a ticking time bomb health wise and has probably had enough of wasting seasons with Simmons, so maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons in a team without a superstar will look like Donkey when he played without both Curry and Thompson in his team and to top it off, he doesn’t have the killer instinct and compe iveness of Donkey (and I am not even a fan of Donkey), nor the leadership. Valuable piece to a good team but useless by himself, and really needs elite scorers around him. It’s the reason Donkey begged Durant to join them and I hope people recall he was benched in their first championship series for David Lee for a stretch bc he couldn’t score. Donkey played in a team with two of the best shooters this generation has seen and had other elite shooters and role players around him.

Spurs don’t have the team to maximize Simmons, but I wouldn’t be upset if they managed to squeeze a trade for him. It could pan out in time or if it doesn’t there’s always the lottery.

Banned
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Simmons in a team without a superstar will look like Donkey when he played without both Curry and Thompson in his team and to top it off, he doesn’t have the killer instinct and compe iveness of Donkey (and I am not even a fan of Donkey), nor the leadership. Valuable piece to a good team but useless by himself, and really needs elite scorers around him. It’s the reason Donkey begged Durant to join them and I hope people recall he was benched in their first championship series for David Lee for a stretch bc he couldn’t score. Donkey played in a team with two of the best shooters this generation has seen and had other elite shooters and role players around him.

Spurs don’t have the team to maximize Simmons, but I wouldn’t be upset if they managed to squeeze a trade for him. It could pan out in time or if it doesn’t there’s always the lottery.
    Not to mention we both know that Kyle is the better player at less money right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First it's unlikely the Spurs have anything to that Philly would want.
    If it was even remotely possible, I'm sure they have good Intel from both Patty and Brett Brown as far as wether he is someone they could work with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention we both know that Kyle is the better player at less money right now.
    Agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a way, Philly might've gotten lucky getting knocked out of the playoffs. There's a good chance Embiid tears his meniscus completely if he plays 10 or so more games, and then he misses most of next year. Now, Philly can decide on what to do with Simmons and be ready for Day One of next season. it is interesting to see how at ude and aggressiveness can so dramatically change a player's fortunes. Giannis isn't a great shooter either but stays aggressive, attacks the basket, and does his thing... and he's a two time MVP, now in the conference finals. Simmons shies away from the ball, doesn't shoot, and doesn't make an effort, and now he's starting to get the label of "unplayable" in the playoffs. People are rightfully praising Jrue Holiday and Trae Young, who both struggled with terrible shooting percentages early in their last games, but didn't stop being aggressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade would make both teams worse, lol. We already have a non-shooting defensive guard in Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade would make both teams worse, lol. We already have a non-shooting defensive guard in Murray.

Nodoubt. And if phili did try and move ben it sure as wouldnt be for demar derozan at any extension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’d just take more shots away from embid and Harris while not playing any D and still not shooting 3s

Thread Information