Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [The Athletic] The New Orleans Pelicans have been unable to put together the right elements to make rising star Zion Williamson and his family happy, and multiple sources have told The Athletic that certain family members want Williamson on another team.

a part of the article;
    Parting ways with Stan Van Gundy after just one season is not the biggest problem facing the New Orleans Pelicans. They have been unable to put together the right elements to make rising star Zion Williamson and his family happy, and multiple sources have told The Athletic that certain family members want Williamson on another team.

Seriously the Nba needs to stop this kind of bs in the league. Dude and his family are pissed? it's only been two years, Zion has only played 85 games into thsoe two years. What the point of having Contracts if a player and his famiy are going to out after only 2 years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zion has expressed that he's always happy playing in Madison Square Garden. That's probably where he is going. These diva players are spoiled, of course they all follow LeBron, KD, Harden. I mean, I don't fault players who want to play where they want, but I also respect like Giannis' loyalty to the Bucks for signing early, killing all speculations, especially since Lakers signed his scrub younger brother undoubtedly just to lure him. Of course there is the higher incentive to resign with the original team who drafted, etc. I don't know what else to protect the small market teams from becoming doormats to these players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be sad for the Pels if Zion bolts from NO as well.

I'm pulling for the Bucks to somehow win it all. Really anyone but New Jersey or the Clippers.

But yeah, small market teams are toast in this new prima donna era of superstars getting whatever they want.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s all about personal branding, marketing opportunities, and making more money...for the family. Sadly, it feels like basketball is just the gateway. It’s why the league is becoming a joke—there’s very little foundation left. It’s all buzz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least the mavs and the pelicans try to keep their stars happy firing whoever they need too to keep em, but it can be a fruitless endeavor. Who knows

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he gets injured one more time though nobody is going to be offering him max contracts. The only team that would do it is NO and if is injury plagued then upset family or not he will stay in NO. He has the potential to be an MVP but also the potential to be a John Wall contract. High risk/reward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't picture this guy playing for more than 5 or 6 years

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mentality of this generation is going to destroy the league as a whole. 10 years from now smaller market teams won't be able to survive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its really hampering the game/league. Sure the big city markets love it, but can't imagine the total nba fan base is in love with this crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mentality of this generation is going to destroy the league as a whole. 10 years from now smaller market teams won't be able to survive.
    lol thinking it wasn't like that back in the good old days

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol thinking it wasn't like that back in the good old days
    No it wasn't like this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll have to be ready to risk the designated rookie extension, which will be over $200 mil to sign the qualifying offer, which is $17 mil. While $17 mil is a lot he'll only be able to sign a normal max contract after that and wouldn't be eligible for the supermax. He might make up the difference from commercials in a big market, but it's a huge risk for an injury prone player. There might be some rookie who'd do this eventually, but I doubt Zion would be the one.

The best thing such players could do would be to force a team to trade them during their rookie deals. If it gets to the QO players are at a huge financial disadvantage.

Fans of small market teams should hope these floodgates never open.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Zion will have a good career but it will be short due to his hips so his best bet is to get as much money as possible as soon as he can get it. But maybe he is one of the few people who doesn’t place a high value on money and just wants to be in a city he likes and have fun.
    Last edited by BackHome; 06-17-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll have to be ready to risk the designated rookie extension, which will be over $200 mil to sign the qualifying offer, which is $17 mil. While $17 mil is a lot he'll only be able to sign a normal max contract after that and wouldn't be eligible for the supermax. He might make up the difference from commercials in a big market, but it's a huge risk for an injury prone player. There might be some rookie who'd do this eventually, but I doubt Zion would be the one.

The best thing such players could do would be to force a team to trade them during their rookie deals. If it gets to the QO players are at a huge financial disadvantage.

Fans of small market teams should hope these floodgates never open.

He'd be a moron to go the QO route with his weight and injury history. If he successfully forces a trade early enough so his new team can offer supermax I hope the owners opt out next summer, lock the players out, and force a hard cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least the mavs and the pelicans try to keep their stars happy firing whoever they need too to keep em, but it can be a fruitless endeavor. Who knows
    WTF are you taking about? The Mavs just fired a guy, and PISSED OFF their star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd be a moron to go the QO route with his weight and injury history. If he successfully forces a trade early enough so his new team can offer supermax I hope the owners opt out next summer, lock the players out, and force a hard cap.
    A hard cap won’t necessarily solve it. Removing the limit on MAX salary, even in the current structure, might. These divas are all cool with playing together as long as they’re all getting as much as they can. What if one of them wants like $65M? You think the others are going to take the scraps to go join him? Let their own greed spread the talent around.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid Pelicans, how couldnt u build this guy, that played under 90 games, a championship team. Even tho, if he was that good, he should have had them in the playoffs, cause the team aint even that bad. Pussy ass got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a ing pussy

They've actually put some nice pieces around him, coach may have been a mistake but they're fixing that.

Time this fat got into shape and lived up to his hype, Pelicans and Ingram deserve more

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A hard cap won’t necessarily solve it. Removing the limit on MAX salary, even in the current structure, might. These divas are all cool with playing together as long as they’re all getting as much as they can. What if one of them wants like $65M? You think the others are going to take the scraps to go join him? Let their own greed spread the talent around.
    Sorry, forgot to write hard cap + nonguaranteed contracts. I hate the idea that modern NBA contracts only bind teams into paying underperforming players but are meaningless when a player actually worth his contract decides he wants out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA / owners could fix this problem. Tougher rookie contracts; penalties for refusals to play or leaking damaging commentary about the team or wanting changes to the media. All would be enforceable. This needs to happen IMHO, or the product will keep suffering. Ratings are already terrible. Up to the owners to embrace the old school, hard-nosed culture of coaching and ownership.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This overweight head will end up in yellow and purple. Seems destiny

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and now, John Hollinger is reporting that NOLA is the NBA franchise least likely to relocate within the next 10 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a great future wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it wasn't like this
    You are right it was even worse back then.

They were divas even before playing their 1st NBA game
    Magic said if thr Bulls and not the Lakers won the coin toss he would play 1 more year in College.
    He didn’t want to play for a team like thr Bulls and wanted to play with Kareem in L.A

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and now, John Hollinger is reporting that NOLA is the NBA franchise least likely to relocate within the next 10 years.
    Least? Are you sure you don't mean most? The Lakers or Knicks would move before the Pelicans?

Or do the Pelicans have some sort of extremely restrictive contract that won't let them leave in the next decade unless the new owners pledge their first-born children or some such?

Thread Information