My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...0-512_gfbh.pdf

This governing opinion just addresses education related compensation, but Kavanaugh wrote a great concurring opinion where he went IN and basically said the NCAA shouldn’t have any compensation restrictions whatsoever.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    God damn, this is ing great from Kavanaugh:

”The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly il- legal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that “customers prefer” to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a “love of the law.” Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a “purer” form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a “tradition” of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a “spirit of amateurism” in Hollywood.”

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    God damn, this is ing great from Kavanaugh:

”The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly il- legal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that “customers prefer” to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a “love of the law.” Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a “purer” form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a “tradition” of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a “spirit of amateurism” in Hollywood.”
    Via President Trump, Will.

Now the SC needs to put a stop to the mandate that these extraordinary individuals be compelled to give-a-way they talent for a set number of years before they can become millionaires. That's like old time slavery in present day America. "You can be free after 1-3 years of indentured service. Though we'll give you lots of air plane flights (no, not first class), lots of goody bags with fancy schmancy ear phones (no, not top line, 3rd line down) and a generous meal per diem once Golden Corral opens back up. How's that (African name)? Okay, I have to go now. I have a luncheon way across town. You stay here and mix and mingle and watch your black ass don't get shot off. Chaio."

"Gesundheit."

"Right on, bro."

Eh, Will?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Via President Trump, Will.

Now the SC needs to put a stop to the mandate that these extraordinary individuals be compelled to give-a-way they talent for a set number of years before they can become millionaires. That's like old time slavery in present day America. "You can be free after 1-3 years of indentured service. Though we'll give you lots of air plane flights (no, not first class), lots of goody bags with fancy schmancy ear phones (no, not top line, 3rd line down) and a generous meal per diem once Golden Corral opens back up. How's that (African name)? Okay, I have to go now. I have a luncheon way across town. You stay here and mix and mingle and watch your black ass don't get shot off. Chaio."

"Gesundheit."

"Right on, bro."

Eh, Will?
    Abso inglutely. The mandatory wait periods the NBA and NFL have between high school and the pros is a total an rust violation and SCOTUS should gut it.

FTR, I never supported the way Feinstein handled the Kavanaugh confirmation, and I always said that of all the judges on Trump’s list to replace Kennedy, Kavanaugh was the best one and the senate Dems were stupid for fussing over it.

Barrett also wrote a great opinion about securities fraud today.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Abso inglutely. The mandatory wait periods the NBA and NFL have between high school and the pros is a total an rust violation and SCOTUS should gut it.

FTR, I never supported the way Feinstein handled the Kavanaugh confirmation, and I always said that of all the judges on Trump’s list to replace Kennedy, Kavanaugh was the best one and the senate Dems were stupid for fussing over it.

Will Hunting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

to a degree, people overestimate how many supreme court rulings are politically charged. it's really specific issues that go down to core ideology

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This governing opinion just addresses education related compensation, but Kavanaugh wrote a great concurring opinion where he went IN and basically said the NCAA shouldn’t have any compensation restrictions whatsoever.
    Most interesting thing will be on how NCAA schools decide to compensate the student athletes (e.g., performance, scale-wages, etc.).

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    to a degree, people overestimate how many supreme court rulings are politically charged. it's really specific issues that go down to core ideology
    Agreed, but on the Goldman Sachs opinion released today, Barrett/Roberts/Kavanaugh actually broke from Gorsuch/Alito/Thomas on the most important issue. So far Barrett seems like someone who’ll at least be mainstream and not go off the rails the way Gorsuch/Alito/Thomas do.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Most interesting thing will be on how NCAA schools decide to compensate the student athletes (e.g., performance, scale-wages, etc.).
    It'll be like pulling teeth, Ef. They'll stall around & around & around while searching high & low for a work-a-round. They'd rather risk, even stand a contempt citation than hand over that boodle. The kicker, Ef? It ain't even their money!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You're only saying that now because President Trump cleaned your in' clock, you tin weasel, you.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It'll be like pulling teeth, Ef. They'll stall around & around & around while searching high & low for a work-a-round. They'd rather risk, even stand a contempt citation than hand over that boodle. The kicker, Ef? It ain't even their money!
    I wouldn’t worry about that. If the NCAA can’t enforce any kind of compensation ban, it’ll be an instant feeding frenzy where the schools are competing with each other to pay the best recruits (which is how it should be).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, unfortunate that cotton-picking students will have to wait to get that hard-earned money...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    You're only saying that now because President Trump cleaned your in' clock, you tin weasel, you.
    Most SCOTUS opinions are 9-0 or 8-1 though, that’s just a fact. The controversial ones that are 5-4 or 6-3 are just the ones that everyone talks about and have the largest impact.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, unfortunate that cotton-picking students will have to wait to get that hard-earned money...
    I said it first, El. Me, and don't forget it down the line a piece. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Dale. I said it first, so, go back to wherever you were hiding. Ha, ha, you were hiding. Ha, ha."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bottom line is that the NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except the student athletes. College presidents, athletic directors, coaches, conference commissioners, and NCAA executives take in six and seven-figure salaries. Colleges build lavish new facilities. But the student athletes who generate the revenues, many of whom are African American and from lower-income backgrounds, end up with little or nothing. See Brief for African American An rust Lawyers as Amici Curiae 13–17.

Damn, you sure they didn't misspell Sotomayor?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The bottom line is that the NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except the student athletes. College presidents, athletic directors, coaches, conference commissioners, and NCAA executives take in six and seven-figure salaries. Colleges build lavish new facilities. But the student athletes who generate the revenues, many of whom are African American and from lower-income backgrounds, end up with little or nothing. See Brief for African American An rust Lawyers as Amici Curiae 13–17.

Damn, you sure they didn't misspell Sotomayor?
    Kavanaugh’s questions to the NCAA during oral argument were scathing so it’s not much of a surprise now, all 9 justices were clearly on the same page the whole time.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Remember, the O'Bannon brothers out in California had 'em/NCAA on the in' ropes and they got a check and disappeared like over night. Poof, GWTW. That's been what, 10 years? That is how the NCAA works; stall around, drag your feet. Now? They'll cut their losses and make a sweetheart deal with these kids, but only after they've stalled about until Federal Marshall's show up at their office doors. "Okay, okay, already, I have the blank bank drafts and the communication from the bank guaranteeing the money. Don't have a conniption. How bout lunch first, gentlemen? My treat. I have an expense account. I know a great place that serves a steak that is like butter..."

Thread Information