6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I hearing this right? They saying he can touch the ball in the cylinder if its an inbound pass (rather than a shot)?

That's a weird rule if true, tbh. Seems counter intuitive, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zubac murdered earlier too, tbh.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight Howard 2007 play flashbacks.

Spurs still won the 'ship that year, tbh.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #AuditAZ #AZGOP #GoSunsGo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gs and most of his alts won't be participating in this thread, he informs me.
    As if we care about your cott. You're only proving that we knew you were here stroking off the whole time, gs.

GET THAT OUT OF HERE!!!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting two tenths back on the clock when it clearly showed six tenths with the ball all the way past the net.
    Scott Foster only taking off two tenths tonight on a play that wasn't as fast and smooth.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I didn’t know the rule, but I don’t think it’s weird or counterintuitive. It makes sense to me. The purpose of a goaltending rule, either offensive or defensive, is to prevent anyone from messing with the shot attempt when the ball is on or over the rim before it has its own chance to be a bucket or not. A pass from out of bounds is not a shot attempt. If no one touches it and it goes through the net, it’s not a made basket. How can you goaltend something that can’t be a basket?

I agree about the time. From the video replay, it should have been 0.5 seconds left. Although I will say that the clock seemed to have started early, before Ayton even touched the ball. And so I see the logic of taking off only 0.2. The rule is 0.3 and you can’t catch and shoot. You can only tip. So if the refs viewed the dunk as a tip, it could be less than 0.3. And if I’m right about the clock starting early, and they deemed the dunk from touch to the ball clearing the net only took 0.2, well then the 0.7 seconds left might make sense. I’d have probably still gone with 0.6.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I didn’t know the rule, but I don’t think it’s weird or counterintuitive. It makes sense to me. The purpose of a goaltending rule, either offensive or defensive, is to prevent anyone from messing with the shot attempt when the ball is on or over the rim before it has its own chance to be a bucket or not. A pass from out of bounds is not a shot attempt. If no one touches it and it goes through the net, it’s not a made basket. How can you goaltend something that can’t be a basket?

I agree about the time. From the video replay, it should have been 0.5 seconds left. Although I will say that the clock seemed to have started early, before Ayton even touched the ball. And so I see the logic of taking off only 0.2. The rule is 0.3 and you can’t catch and shoot. You can only tip. So if the refs viewed the dunk as a tip, it could be less than 0.3. And if I’m right about the clock starting early, and they deemed the dunk from touch to the ball clearing the net only took 0.2, well then the 0.7 seconds left might make sense. I’d have probably still gone with 0.6.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can catch the ball on or over the rim and just drop it easier than even a regular dunk, then that just doesn't sit well with me. But teams should take advantage as long as the rule exists.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Tangent, but the NBA is years behind in adjusting their goaltending rules to the rest of the world. I like the FIBA rules much better. Once a shot hits the rim, all bets are off. No 5-6 bouncy-bouncy clink, clangs around the rim and dropping for a bucket.

Back to the Ayton oop, I think it’s all about it not being a field goal attempt. You can’t shoot a shot as an inbound pass. It’s not a field goal attempt. So you can’t interfere with what’s not a field goal attempt. And goaltending is interference of a field goal attempt. Certainly makes sense to me.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent, but the NBA is years behind in adjusting their goaltending rules to the rest of the world. I like the FIBA rules much better. Once a shot hits the rim, all bets are off. No 5-6 bouncy-bouncy clink, clangs around the rim and dropping for a bucket.
    NBA ain't gonna do that. No way they're gonna f*ck with their three ball model like that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousins being a little got shoving Booker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a brilliant play. Monty's proving to be a heck of a coach in these playoffs.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If you can catch the ball on or over the rim and just drop it easier than even a regular dunk, then that just doesn't sit well with me. But teams should take advantage as long as the rule exists.
    But it's one of the first things you look for in that scenario. Somebody should have been roaming and ensuring that that sh1t did not happen.

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Has there been the case of an alleyoop being waved off as goaltending? Not sure tbh, but considering the quality of NBA officials, I’d bet this rule gets called inconsistently at best.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it's one of the first things you look for in that scenario. Somebody should have been roaming and ensuring that that sh1t did not happen.
    Advantage Ayton if he gets any sort of step. Which is why I like the idea of players at least having to make some sort of "normal" shot.

The guy guarding the inbounder could've cut the angle. But that's a high BB IQ play that most NBA players wouldn't know to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousins being a little got shoving Booker
    When isn't he being a little got though?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When isn't he being a little got though?
    LOL don't feel bad at all for him losing his $100 million contract with his achilles tear.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information