Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As an UFA would you welcome him back to the silver and black?

I always feel like a team can benefit from the right veterans in the locker room, provided those vets aren't relied upon to provide too many minutes on the floor. For the right price, Danny might be a decent addition to the roster. He's got the Spurs' championship legacy to pass along to the young fellas that the team seems to value, and for what he brings, he's still not the worst option out there.

Question 2. Would you take him back over keeping Rudy or resigning Patty?
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 06-23-2021 at 10:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would take him over Rudy for sure because he's not a player that tries to create his own shot (ISO Rudy) and at his age can quite possibly be an above average defender at best not elite let's not get crazy here. Vassell/Green Wingstop lite??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a vacuum, I would take Danny over Rudy at this point, but not with our current glut of young guards.

Danny was a great Spur who could provide some 3&D as well be a good vet in the locker room.

But any minutes he got would be taking away from Murray, White, Walker, KJ...maybe even Samanic if Spurs went super small. And that's even assuming DeRozan walks.

Unless we move some of those guys, I just don't see enough minutes to go around for all those wings. And Danny will probably be more interested in continuing to chase rings, and there are probably other contenders will still pay for his services despite his apparent decline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Danny just turned 34. Gimme youth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a vacuum, I would take Danny over Rudy at this point, but not with our current glut of young guards.

Danny was a great Spur who could provide some 3&D as well be a good vet in the locker room.

But any minutes he got would be taking away from Murray, White, Walker, KJ...maybe even Samanic if Spurs went super small. And that's even assuming DeRozan walks.

Unless we move some of those guys, I just don't see enough minutes to go around for all those wings. And Danny will probably be more interested in continuing to chase rings, and there are probably other contenders will still pay for his services despite his apparent decline.
    My gut tells me our sole veteran presence might be Patty next season. I could see DeRozan moving on, and Rudy not being resigned. Danny is a good teammate, but yeah, he'd fall under the same criticism as our other vets by stealing minutes from our young guys. Back in the day it seemed like Pop could resist the temptation to trot the old guys out on the floor at the first sign of trouble a little easier.

I'm probably a little more on the Rudy bandwagon than some are. His ability to play the post in small ball makes him somewhat valuable, and I don't see teams lining up to sign him. But if we're not just looking to fill roster spots, I don't know that he's in the future plan.

Patty's pretty dug in in San Antonio, and he might actually be willing to sign a smaller dollar deal with a longer term to stay here. He doesn't really seem interested in ring-chasing.

My fear is that the Spurs resign Demar. Sometimes less is more, and even if the Spurs take a short-term step back by losing him, I think they'll be better off long-term.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LDN > Fatty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    doesn't fit what we need ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No... A 34 year old streaky shooter that can't dribble... Not good for us

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more important question: why would he want to return?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Obviously. He's exactly one of the things the team needs. He's just not everything the team needs. It's kind of insane that folks don't think after watching this year that the team needs solid-to-good positional defenders who can space the floor. That basically describes no one on the team except White on a good day. Obviously I'd prefer Vassell to develop or the team otherwise find a younger version of him, but there's no one currently on the team who should take minutes away from that.

Of course, if the team isn't planning on trying to make the playoffs or whatever and wants to use the cap space to try to get assets, then Green makes less sense. Even then, if Danny wants to come back just to finish up his career, he'd be a great mentor and glue guy for a young group that is at a risk of running off the rails with bad habits. I can't imagine how invaluable it would be for Walker to have the previous Whipping Boy with three rings sitting over at the next locker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love DG but no. Pop would misuse him by making him a center playing 35 minutes a game. that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a bum 5 years ago with an actual pg. OP is ing my mom.
    See, the way it works, is that you ask a question, and you discuss the thoughts of those who respond. I know for those who are challenged, like yourself, it's tough to understand the mechanics of the way dialogue functions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would take him over Rudy for sure because he's not a player that tries to create his own shot (ISO Rudy) and at his age can quite possibly be an above average defender at best not elite let's not get crazy here. Vassell/Green Wingstop lite??
    There's way too much hate for Rudy in this forum and the Twitterverse. We all know he's a defensive liability but his role on this team was to score and get buckets. He understood that and went out there and did what was asked of him. no, I wouldn't welcome Danny Green back to the Spurs. He had his run but he's nowhere near the player he used to be and is very limited on offense. Still can't create off the dribble, can't shoot either. Not good enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Obviously. He's exactly one of the things the team needs. He's just not everything the team needs. It's kind of insane that folks don't think after watching this year that the team needs solid-to-good positional defenders who can space the floor. That basically describes no one on the team except White on a good day. Obviously I'd prefer Vassell to develop or the team otherwise find a younger version of him, but there's no one currently on the team who should take minutes away from that.

Of course, if the team isn't planning on trying to make the playoffs or whatever and wants to use the cap space to try to get assets, then Green makes less sense. Even then, if Danny wants to come back just to finish up his career, he'd be a great mentor and glue guy for a young group that is at a risk of running off the rails with bad habits. I can't imagine how invaluable it would be for Walker to have the previous Whipping Boy with three rings sitting over at the next locker.
    You did see a dropoff in that Philly series by the Sixers when he got hurt. Even when he's missing shots he brings some intangibles, particularly on defense. And teams did learn to pack the paint on us as the season wore on. Anyone who can stretch the floor helps us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather vassell learn the ropes tbh,no more stop gaps

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would we do that to our beloved verde

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see it. Green can still make money on a contender, and many contenders will want him, so I don't think he'll give that up to come back and be Pop's whipping boy again. If the Spurs were on the verge of contending I could understand, but otherwise I feel like it's just another excuse to take minutes away from Vassell, White, Walker, and KJ.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 06-23-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see it happening myself. I do think he'd be a good mentor for Devin but I still think he can have a bigger role elsewhere. I'd rather focus on a young 4 and 2 in FA/trades...draft a high upside guy and full out the roster with a couple of professional old guys who are there to mentor and not expected to play much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus Danny has a chance to make history, winning rings with four different teams... That's a better scenario for him!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great guy, was a very good player but no more oldsters please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean yeah, he's basically what we wanted Vassell to be last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes of course, but I can't see it happening. I expect green would've been a loyal spur for his whole career if they hadn't traded him. but I really doubt he'd want to return now to popovich country.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As an UFA would you welcome him back to the silver and black?

I always feel like a team can benefit from the right veterans in the locker room, provided those vets aren't relied upon to provide too many minutes on the floor. For the right price, Danny might be a decent addition to the roster. He's got the Spurs' championship legacy to pass along to the young fellas that the team seems to value, and for what he brings, he's still not the worst option out there.

Question 2. Would you take him back over keeping Rudy or resigning Patty?
    I’d definitely re-sign him, and we sign Patty to the Steve Kerr 03 role. Would let Gay go.

Thread Information