Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    scott
    Here's Chad Ford's forecast of where all the top free agents will land. He's predicting Kandi and Maggette for the Spurs:

insider.espn.go.com/insid...id=1569084

Now that Tim Duncan and the Spurs have officially ended the season and the NBA draft debate is in full swing, it's time to take a step back and survey the free-agent landscape. As great as draft picks are, few of them make a major impact these days. Only LeBron James, Darko Milicic and Carmelo Anthony are expected to make significant impacts this year.

With teams like Chicago, Miami and Toronto losing their patience with the whole rebuilding thing, free agency, not the draft, is where they'll have to look to find impact players. The last thing the Bulls need is another lottery stud who thinks he's the center of the universe. There's been a lot of talk for the past year about the golden free-agent class of 2003. Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal, Gary Payton ...

The names might be A-list, but the teams with enough cap room to actually lure them away are all small-time gigs. San Antonio, Utah, Denver and the Clippers have cash to burn. But would Kidd leave the bright lights of New York for the sleepy confines of the Alamo? Would O'Neal bolt the up-and-coming Pacers for the down-and-out Nuggets? And once the Spurs, Jazz and Nuggets get done spending (we're leaving the Clippers out of this right now) is everyone else going to have to settle for a mid-level exception?

Exclusive complete 2003 free agent list
    Key = (R) - restricted free agent | (PO) - player option

1. Tim Duncan, PF, Spurs (PO)
    Outlook: All signs still point to Duncan staying in San Antonio. In fact, he may not even opt out of his deal. Given that the cap has actually dropped since he signed his last deal, Duncan would actually lose money if opted and out and went for a new deal in San Antonio.
    Insider Prediction: Duncan will be flying the flag in the Alamo for years.

2. Jason Kidd, PG, Nets (PO)
    Outlook: Kidd is still determined to play the free-agent market. Sources close to Kidd have indicated that he'd like to finish his career on the West Coast with a contender. The only team he's interested in with enough cash to sign him straight up is the Spurs. The Clippers would probably fit in that category too, but unless Duncan agrees to come along for the ride and Donald Sterling gets a lobotomy, you know that isn't happening. A return to the Bay Area also isn't out of the question. The Warriors have enough young assets to work out a sign-and-trade if that's where Kidd wanted to land. If none of that works (and nothing looks too tempting at the moment) Kidd will re-sign with the Nets and stock up on bridesmaid dresses.
    Insider Prediction: Jason stays in bed with the Nets. No Kidding.

3. Jermaine O'Neal, PF, Pacers
    Outlook: O'Neal was considered a lock to re-sign with Indiana until a late-season swoon put that into question. The Spurs, Jazz and Nuggets would all love to have him. However, Pacers sources continue to insist that O'Neal has not wavered in his commitment to re-sign with the organization. Why would he leave the comfortable East Coast (where he's clearly the best power forward in the conference and a perennial all-star) for the harsh and cruel Western Conference? Playing against Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber, Dirk Nowitzki, Karl Malone and Pau Gasol every night isn't a piece of cake. The only team with a real shot of luring him out West is the Spurs. A combo of Duncan and O'Neal would be frightening.
    Insider Prediction: There's no place like home. O'Neal sticks with the Pacers.

4. Elton Brand, PF, Clippers (R)
    Outlook: Everyone has interest, but so do the Clippers. Brand doesn't want to re-sign with L.A. unless Sterling also forks over some cash for Michael Olowokandi and Lamar Odom. Expect the Jazz and Spurs to flirt with him, but in the end, Brand will probably take the Clips' one-year tender and hit unrestricted free agency next summer.
    Insider Prediction: Brand has to endure the Clippers for one more year.

5. Gilbert Arenas, PG, Warriors (R)
    Outlook: He's the hottest free agent on the market. The Warriors desperately want to keep him, but the most they can offer him is $4.5 million next season. Expect teams like the Nuggets and Heat to offer him a contract starting at around $7 million a year. Arenas' agent, Dan Fegan, claims Arenas needs more money than that, but who's going to pay it? An extra $3 million a year may be just too much for Arenas, or anyone else, to pass up.
    Insider Prediction: Arenas strikes gold with the Nuggets.

6. Michael Olowokandi, C, Clippers
    Outlook: His stock has dropped considerably since last summer. Olowokandi held out for a max contract last summer, and right now it doesn't appear that the gamble has paid off. Injuries, a bad at ude and a terrible Clippers squad will haunt him as he tries to find another team willing to pony up the cash. The Heat, Spurs and Nuggets are all interested in Olowokandi, but at what price? If Sterling is willing to spend, a sign-and-trade isn't out of the question either.
    Insider Prediction: The Kandi-man tries to fill David Robinson's shoes in San Antonio.

7. Andre Miller, PG, Clippers (R)
    Outlook: The Clips can't afford to pay everyone, and most feel that Miller will be the casualty. Despite a terrible season, after Kidd and Arenas, he's the best point guard on the board. Expect the Jazz to make him a big offer. He wants to return to Utah and the Jazz would love to have him. He's a perfect fit in the Jazz's system and a great heir to John Stockton.
    Insider Prediction: It's Miller time in Utah.

8. Corey Maggette, SG/SF, Clippers (R)
    Outlook: No one's stock has risen more this season than Maggette's. We've known for a while that he's one of the best athletes in the league. But his development of a consistent long-range jumper has really opened up the game for him. Again, he's likely to be another casualty of the Clippers' salary-cap woes. The Nuggets looked like they're the most interested in bringing him into the fold, but if they draft Carmelo Anthony, will he be a fit? Don't be surprised if the Spurs try to get in on the action.
    Insider Prediction: Expect a fierce bidding war on Maggette, and expect the Spurs to come out on top.

9. Juwan Howard, SF/PF, Nuggets
    Outlook: Howard will likely go from being one of the most overpaid players in the history of the league to one of the best bargains. He's gained a huge amount of respect for the way he handled himself on the lowly Nuggets this year. The Nuggets want him back, but expect him to try to work out a sign-and-trade with a team in a better position to win now. The Pistons, Lakers, Bulls, Sonics, Spurs, Heat and Magic all remain good possibilities.
    Insider Prediction: Howard wants to win without riding Shaq and Kobe's coattails, which is why he'll head back to Michigan for the mid-level.

10. Gary Payton, PG, Bucks
    Outlook: The Bucks still maintain that they want Payton to re-sign this summer, but with the way they're playing, it may not be an easy sell. With the team up for sale, and the organization stuck in limbo, Payton will be out the door, too. No team is going to spend a huge chunk of its cap on a 35-year-old point guard, no matter how good he is. If he decides to bolt Milwaukee, the best he can hope for is a mid-level exception contract with a team like the Pacers, T-Wolves, Warriors or Heat.
    Insider Prediction: If Arenas bolts, the Warriors could put together a combination of Mike Dunleavy, Chris Mills (last year of his deal) and the No. 11 pick that would convince the Bucks to pull the trigger on a sign-and-trade.

11. Karl Malone, PF, Jazz
    Outlook: He turns 40 in July, but the Mailman continues to deliver. It will be interesting to see what the Jazz and Malone do this summer. The team would like to start rebuilding, but it also wants to see him retire in Utah. Malone couldn't command a huge, long-term contract anywhere, but he can still help a playoff contender if he's willing to settle for the mid-level exception. But can Malone really leave Utah?
    Insider Prediction: The Mailman delivers to Utah until it's time to retire.

12. Lamar Odom, SF, Clippers (R)
    Outlook: If he's healthy and gets his head on straight, he's a top-five talent. Pat Riley loves him. But so does Elgin Baylor. Will the Heat give him some love? If they do, will the Clippers match? Odom's not in a bad situation either way.
    Insider Prediction: Expect the Heat to try to sign him, but don't be shocked if the Clips match the offer.

13. Brad Miller, C, Pacers
    Outlook: It's not a great year for big men in free agency or the draft. That could mean very big things for Miller despite a so-so year. Indiana wants to re-sign him, but don't be surprised if the Spurs come after Miller if Kidd and Olowokandi don't pan out
    Insider Prediction: The Pacers keep the other Miller home.

14. Rasho Nesterovic, C, T-Wolves
    Outlook: Next to Maggette, no one has helped his stock more this year than Nesterovic. He's been a solid force in the middle for the T-Wolves. This time, agent Bill Duffy's gamble, he turned down a six- year deal from the Wolves last summer, paid off big time. The Wolves want him, and they'll have to pay handsomely to keep him.
    Insider Prediction: Nesterovic sticks in Minnesota.

15. Jerry Stackhouse, SG, Wizards (PO)
    Outlook: Stackhouse won't opt out of his contract unless he gets a guarantee of a big extension from the Wizards. That's not going to happen. The Wizards are shopping him around, but don't expect that to change his free-agent status
    Insider Prediction: Stackhouse won't ever hit the free-agent market.

16. Richard Hamilton, SG, Pistons (R)
    Outlook: He had a big year in Detroit, meaning that the Pistons are trapped in the same dilemma they faced with Stackhouse. They really want to re-sign him, but what is he worth? Hamilton can play the free-agent market all he wants, but with the free-agent talent pool so deep, there may not be any money left by the time Rip bubbles to the top. Look for the Pistons to get a real bargain on Rip.
    Insider Prediction: Hamilton keeps ripping the nets in Detroit.

17. Keon Clark, PF, Kings (PO)
    Outlook: Slender star was on his best behavior this season in Sacramento. But will there be any money for him this summer? Clark may be better off sticking with the Kings next season and then trying things again in 2004 when the free-agent field isn't so crowded.
    Insider Prediction: The free-agent market's too crowded. Clark stays with Kings one more year.

18. Jason Terry, SG, Hawks (R)
    Outlook: 6-foot-2 shooting guard anyone? Anyone?
    Insider Prediction: The Hawks draft a big point guard, then keep Terry around as a bargain.

19. P. J. Brown, PF, Hornets
    Outlook: He's not the flashiest player on the list, but his toughness in the paint could really help a team like the Lakers, Mavs, Sonics or Celtics. If he wants to bolt New Orleans and he's willing to play for the mid-level exception, he should be very popular this summer.
    Insider Prediction: Brown watches Shaq's back in L.A.

20. Alonzo Mourning, C, Heat
    Outlook: Mourning said he's been cleared to play next season. Can Mourning really desert the Heat after all they've done for them? In our book, after two years of paid sick leave, Mourning owes them a season or two at the veteran's minimum. In Mourning's book, however, it appears that he'll go where the money is.
    Insider Prediction: Expect Mark Cuban and Paul Allen to get in a bidding war over the rights to Mourning. Both can afford to gamble with their full mid-level exception.

scott
    For those interested in the condensed version: this predicts we go after Kidd, O'Neal, and Brand but end up with Kandi and Magette.

Superstar+Parker+Duncan+Rose+Jackson+Manu+Bowen > Parker+Magette+Bowen+Duncan+Kandi+Rose+Manu+Speedy > Parker+Jackson+Bowen+Duncan+Robinson+Rose+Manu+Spe edy+Willis

SpursWoman
    If none of that works (and nothing looks too tempting at the moment) Kidd will re-sign with the Nets and stock up on bridesmaid dresses.

That is coooold. brrrrr

scott
    While I'd much prefer the superstar- I wouldn't mind an offseason in which we got Kandi and Maggette.

I'm not at all fond of Kandi, but I see him as a slight upgrade over what we got from DRob this season. Alone, Kandi is reason to puke- but added with Maggette, I like it.

Maggette would represent a nice upgrade at the 2, IMO.

Maggette's stats:

31.3 MPG, 16.8 PPG, 5.0 PRG (1.2 ORPG), 1.9 APG, .86 SPG. 44.4% FG, 80.2% FT, 35.0% 3PFG

Maggette is an attacker along with having a decent shot- his aggressiveness shows in his ability to get to the line: Ranked 9th in the NBA in FTs per 48 Minutes, 8th in FTA per 48 Minutes.

Plus, Maggette is a "Balla"

Kandi's stats:

38.0 MPG, 12.3 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 2.19 BPG, 42.7% Shooting, 65.7% FT

I'd much prefer Brad Miller to Kandi, and the more I think about Kandi the less I want him anywhere near a Spurs uniform.

Marcus Bryant
    For those interested in the condensed version: this predicts we go after Kidd, O'Neal, and Brand but end up with Kandi and Magette.
    :vomit

DeSPURado
    About Kandi:
    The problem is from what I read about Kandi earlier this year is that he averages more touches on his team than anyone else yet was only the fourth leading scorer on the team. Such will not be the case in San Antonio, and his efficiency ratings suck.

About Maggette: What gives in San Antonio land, if he comes? I mean Bowen, Stephen, and Manu have that spot filled. One of our players would have to be gone, if we get Maggette.

Admiral
    Duke players rarely amount to much in the NBA (Danny Ferry is the obvious exception, SpursWoman). They tend to be either soft or injury prone, and it's too early to tell if Maggette will amount to much anyway. His stats are respectable, but nothing close to making it worth sacrificing two years to get him.

We have other needs that should take priority over a swingman, and we should pass on him unless he comes at a great price.

Ghost Writer
    "For those interested in the condensed version: this predicts we go after Kidd, O'Neal, and Brand but end up with Kandi and Magette." — scott
    I'll take no pleasure in being right. Again.

scott
    IMO, Maggette could lead to the possible departure of one Stephen Jackson. How much pleasure would you take in that, Ghost?

Nikos
    I really don't understand why we need Maggette?

If we got Maggette than either Manu or Bowen HAS to go because Magz is not a SF.

Honestly Magz has talent but I really do not think we need him. The guy has tunnel vision in the fourth quarter at times -- I have seen a few of his games and I could see the talent, but he also did not prove that he was a legit second star.

Also his team was just flat out horrible last year with all the injuries....Maggette got plenty of touches etc...

I could understand getting Maggette if he could play SF, but would he really be good at SF?

Personally I like Manu at the 2G and even Sjax at the 2G and 3spot along with Bowen. Maybe if we got Odom it would be a different story -- but I do not think Maggette would really be a great upgrade at the expense to trimming Manus' minutes and teams chemistry.

Marcus Bryant
    In regards to Maggette I really only have to say one thing:

Toenail.

OK, I lied, I have something else to say: what exactly is Maggette going to bring to the table that the Spurs shouldn't be able to get out of Ginobili and/or SJackson? Maggette can put up great regular season stats but those two just proved their mettle under championship level pressure. Maggette, in my opinion, is not a tremendous talent. He's not the type that you take no questions asked and then change your team to accomodate him. The only way that he is even a Spur is if SJackson is not brought back. F that.

MannyIsGod
    I think its safe to say the spurs would rather wait a year than bring in 2 clippers , unless we bring in odom and brad.

Jimcs50
    Jimcs50
    Homer -- run!
    (6/16/03 8:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: well
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If Pop traded Parker, he would be strung up on the nearest tree.....by me. Yeah, lets trade a player that will one day be the best pointguard in Spurs history so we can all lament about it for the next 25 years....that is smart.

We get O'Neal or we go after Brand or we go after Kandi or Mourning and Maggette, re-sign Willis, Kerr and Jax , then get Brand next year as a unrestricted FA.

Jimcs50
    Marcus, Maggette would be even better in SA. He is getting better every year and I feel he will be one of the very top guards in the NBA in 2 years, maybe even next year. I have watched him play quite a bit since he came out of school(I always watch my ACC guys) and he has just become a stud.

Ghost Writer
    I don't know about the Maggette part, but it seemed to me for some time now that we'd wind up with Olowokandi — good, bad or indifferent.

Kidd is a non-fit here and NJ wants him back, J. O'Neal is the man in Indy and they want him back, Brand is restricted and the Clips have to pay someone next year. Payton, Howard and Malone are getting up there in age to bring in for a long-term deal. Superstars in their primes rarely leave their teams anymore.

That leaves Olowokandi — a devalued center that is not wanted by his current team, will not cost us the max and could fill the void at center.

think, people.

Jimcs50
    Ghost, I was advocating Kandi for a while now. He is just as good as an aging DRob and if we can get him for 1 yesr, until Brand is available, that would be great. If he works out, then re-sign him. Maggette is the 2 that we need since we are losing depth at that spot this year. Manu and Jax can all play the 3 as well, so there is room for another great 2 on our team

Marcus Bryant
    Doesn't matter what Olowokandi will cost. The Spurs would be losing out on their one real chance to add a star teammate to this team during Duncan's prime. If you think that doesn't matter I refer you to 1989-96.

Marcus Bryant
    Maggette is the 2 that we need since we are losing depth at that spot this year.
    Who? Kerr?

scott
    IMO, Kandi is only a viable option if the following conditions are true:

1) All superstar FAs are not obtainable

2) He comes for cheap

3) Brad Miller or PJ Brown are not obtainable

4) He is our secondary FA signing (Maggette/Odom/Whoever being the primary)

Jimcs50
    Marcus, if the Spurs can win this year with a limited DRob who missed countless games this year ans was not his young self(not counting the last game), than if we add Kandi and Maggette, we will be even better next year, I have no doubt in my mind. If we get O'Neal, then that is one thing, but if we can't...ther is another tack to take.

scott
    Corey Maggette > Stephen Jackson

Jimcs50
    Kerr and Smitty are gone, that leaves room for another 2. If Manu shares time with Bowen, then we can have Maggette and Manu and TP on the floor at the same time. Can you imagine the possibilities there in an open court? Then you have Tim and Kandi anchoring the middle on D....this team would be formidable indeed.

kohai
    Olowokandi...

:vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit

Marcus Bryant
    Neither Kerr nor Smitty were fixtures in the rotation this season when Claxton was healthy.

As for Olowokandi he is dog , Denver will drive up his price, and I just have to say that he is dog again.

Ghost Writer
    1989 - 1996? We never won a le during that stretch, so that is not a fair comparison.

From 1999 - 2003, we've won two les. We just won a tile.

Olowokandi = Robinson

Think.

Thread Information