Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    coz
    OK, now that I have officially turned my attention to baseball(AKA NBA/NFL free agents), I would like to know if the following scenario is: 1. Possible, 2. Likely, 3. Would Work. Any help is as always, appreciated.

First, bring in Elton Brand in sign and trade for Malik Rose/Speedy Claxton. (Brand = $11 Million, Rose = - 4.5Million)

Second, Sign Glove to the MLE (Glove = $4.5)

So, assuming my CBA is correct (quite a stretch) Payton would get our exception, and Brand would count $11 mil into our $15, and rose would put $4.5 mil back. By my addition, it leaves 8.5 million to get a few more bodies. So:

Sign G. Arenas to 5 year, 8.5 million per contract.

Draft K. Perkins and some Euro to cook overseas for a bit.

Try to bring in Scola, if not fill with vet minimum.

Starters:
    Parker
    Glove
    Bowen
    Brand
    Duncan

Reserve:
    Arenas
    Manu
    Buckets
    Scola
    Willis
    Perkins
    Kerr
    Roster filler (project)

Could this happen? Would any lineup in the league even come close to this? This team's bench is better than several NBA starting 5's. Anyway, I choose this offseason to dream big, and be let down rather than dream little, and be suprised at the outcome.

timvp
    The Spurs don't have an MLE so Payton is out.

The sign-and-trade is possible but doubtful cuz Sterling (vinegar) and long-term contracts (water).

Arenas would be cool but you'd have to start him at the 2 for him even think about coming.

But I good job on the advanced thinking. With the cap space that is at hand, the scenarios are endless.

Marcus Bryant
    GP will command at least $9 mil per.

Sterling would never take a contract with 6 years left on it. Also, I doubt Claxton would want to become a Clipper willingly.

Also, why force so many changes on a le team? GP I can understand.

Marcus Bryant
    Here's the way I look at it:

If you can add one of the following you do it and change your lineup accordingly: Payton/Brand/Kidd/JO'Neal.

Outside of those 4 you don't make drastic changes to your lineup.

This team just won the le. Given that you are losing a significant member and that this will be (likely) the last time you can make a significant acquisition during your star player's prime, you can be somewhat flexible with respect to changes. But that doesn't mean that you should shuffle the entire team and start running off players like Malik Rose and Tony Parker who are part of your core for just whoever.

coz
    agree with the changes part, I guess the "grass is always greener" theory. I would definetly like to see Brand before all others this offseason though, and I'm trying to figure out a good way to do it. I also wnat the Spurs to draft Kendrick Perkins, and get a quality perimeter player like Payton/Arenas. If we leave Payton out of the equation, could this work:

S&T Brand - Rose/Claxton
    (Claxton may not want to go, but money in the pockets is good motivation)

Sign Arenas @ aprox 7-8 million

Starters:
    Parker
    Arenas
    Bowen
    Brand
    Tim

Reserve
    Kerr (With Arenas getting duty at the point, Manu and Jack subbing in for off guard and SF)
    Buckets
    Manu
    Scola
    Willis
    Perkins
    ...........Roster fill

Marcus Bryant
    I would think about involving a 3rd team in your hypothetical to land Brand from the Clippers.

IcemanCometh
    A) Sterling has to sign somone to fill league minimum salary.
    B) Hes expected to try to sign Lamar Odom since thats his favorite player and Elton Brand (best player). Both will probably wind up just taking the 1 year tender offers.
    C) They would certainly be willing to take easily movable contracts in return. Malik might qualify as moveable since hes a big man and hes certainly raised his stock with his level of play of late.

Raiding the Clippers should be option 2 after Jermaine Oneal.

You guys seriously need to get over your man crush on Gary Payton. The guys a great player but has no place on our team.

timvp
    I wouldn't dump Rose for Arenas.

1) Rose will continue to be an important bench player. He brings the energy the team often lacks.

2) I wouldn't want to take away almost all of the minutes from Manu and Jack.

coz
    "You guys seriously need to get over your man crush on Gary Payton. The guys a great player but has no place on our team"

LMAO......

you're saying you wouldn't find a spot for him for the right price? I agree, this guy is not the premier free agent that we all covet, but he can still put the ball in the hoop.

IMO - I would like to see a perimeter player come to town with Brand. And IMO:

Arenas > Payton > Maggette

coz
    "I wouldn't dump Rose for Arenas."

I'm not a Rose hater, but seriously, Rose for Arenas? I do this deal every day and twice on Sunday.

"1) Rose will continue to be an important bench player. He brings the energy the team often lacks."

My hypothetical involves bringing in Elton Brand, this leaves Rose's minutes on the endangered list.

"2) I wouldn't want to take away almost all of the minutes from Manu and Jack."

My thinking is that Arenas also plays some backup point, with Manu and Jack coming in for Bowen and Parker. Then the next sub will be Parker for Arenas. The guard rotation should keep everyone happy. I'm also not sure that in my scenario, keeping Jack is even possible. If not, a casualty of the Dynasty in the making.

Marcus Bryant
    Payton would work well with this team. He's the consumate team player on the court and he wants to win. In addition he would give the Spurs what they were lacking at times in the playoffs: a consistent backcourt scoring threat and a hard nosed leader on the court when TD was off the court. GP wouldn't let his team lose a 25 point lead or whatever. He can play the 2, slide over to the 1 when TP leaves the game and you still have plenty of minutes for Manu. SJax goes to his natural position at the 3.

scott
    I don't understand the desire for Payton or Arenas in this scenario.

After adding Brand, there is no more room for a Payton or Arenas in the game plan.

You are already looking at a starting line up that will put, on average, about 80 points on its own.

Duncan: 23
    Brand: 20
    Parker: 14 (goes down because of Brand's presence)
    Jackson: 13 (goes up with a year of exp)
    Manu: 10

Add in 15-20 bench points a game (Rose 8, Claxton 6, Bowen 5) and you've got one of the best scoring line ups the Spurs have had in recent years, along with not giving anything up on the defensive end.

If S&T (Rose and Claxton) is the only way to get Brand, we are obviously in a position where we need more bench players- but I don't think a Payton or Arenas are those players.

Don't think the S&T is the way to get Brand though... if we have a chance, it will be with a Max offer.

IcemanCometh
    Arenas is not coming to this team. He worked long and hard to prove hes an NBA point guard. He is going to go to a team where he can run the show, thats Denver or Miami.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    I agree that Payton is not a good fit on the Spurs. The guy is a great defender and has the ability to take over a game but his history of locker room issues is legendary...I just don't see Pop taking a chance on him at the price he is gonna command...

Marcus Bryant
    Also, GP would cost less than the max so you would have more $$$ to use to add a decent starting big and address other areas of concern such as the deep bench spots (9-12)

Marcus Bryant
    Basically guys, I would say that the Spurs should try to keep the turnover in their 8 man rotation to a minimum. Only a great player acquisition should be allowed to change it.

timvp
    I agree.

Unless you are adding a Kidd/O'Neal/Brand player, there is no need to change things up.

coz
    Good points on Arenas. I don't think that he is at the point in his career where winning really matters, above Dollars and prestige that is. In my (revised)scenario, Payton and Arenas are interchangeable. If Arenas says no, Gary Payton, come on down.... If Payton says no, Corey Maggette, come on down........so on and so forth.

scott
    IMO, there is only room for one more Superstar.

I would like Payton, but not along with Brand.

As for Maggette, I liked him at first, but the more I think of it- he is only marginally better than Jax and doesn't have Jax's killer instinct or newly gained playoff experience. I'd prefer Jack, especially considering that Jack will be cheaper.

Marcus Bryant
    Maggette is a prime example. On paper he looks great but is he worth the $$$ and the disruption in your rotation? The Spurs do have a battle tested lineup now. Maggette is not worth disrupting it IMO.

IcemanCometh
    "The only player I've ever met with a greater work ethic was Michael Jordan"

Tim Grover on Corey Maggette

coz
    mix the work ethic with that athletic ability, and you know the reason people are talking about him. I was impressed with Maggette this year. I'd take him over Buckets in a New York minute.

Marcus Bryant
    Maggette and those Clipper stats. BFD. Stats on a team don't mean anything.

Antoine Carr was once a 20 point a game scorer.

IcemanCometh
    no ones talking about stats, we're talking about ability

Marcus Bryant
    That too. DA had plenty of ability in Clipperland. Once he got to SA he was caught in the headlights of the playoffs.

Thread Information