Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020 and 2021 were both Trump inflicted. He allowed the Rona to wreck our country. He knew and "purposely downplayed it" and now 600K American souls are lost.
    University of Washington said more like 900K victims of COVID-45.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    the whole asterisk thing is stupid tbqh, especially when comparing situations where all teams were affected equally

the only time that asterisks make any sense is when major injuries clearly affect the outcome, such as 2015 warriors and 2019 raptors for some recent examples

regardless it's not the winning teams fault. no surprises there, they just went out an beat teams they were supposed to beat by shooting some shots and making more than their opponent.

but that's about the only situation where there is an unfair advantage that benefits one team and clearly affects the outcome. less games, bubble, that's all the same for everyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shortened season, varying levels of fan support at games, COVID issues, and a crazy amount of injuries due to being rushed back. The 3 best teams (Nets, Lakers, Clippers) all kneecapped by injuries. Dark horse contenders like Denver lose a top tier player. Sixers stars hampered by inuries (Embiid meniscus, Simmons brain).

2021 might supplant 1999 as the biggest asterisk le ever tbh
    Problem is Embiid, Irving, Davis, and Leonard are all china dolls in normal years too and the Harden injury I blame on him becoming a fat piece of to force Houston's hand in dealing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regular season gets an asterisk. These playoffs have been fine, IMO.

Personally I like the emergence of new stars and teams. Casual fans who haven't watched anything but Lebron and Curry the last few years probably hate this final 4, but these teams have earned it as much as any other year. An Atlanta - Phoenix final would be a big F.U. to all the NBA marketing that tends to just prop up the usual suspects. I love it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MJ himself admitted he was glad Dream and Co didn’t get out of the West
    Rockets were a terrible matchup for the Bulls
    But the league made sure Jordan was out to make the road easier for Houston. Payback for their troubles in the late 80s if you know what I mean.

Otherwise the league would have to retrain the refs to not give phantom call to Jordan and that would be hard to do.
    Last edited by ambchang; 06-24-2021 at 01:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rarely come downstairs here on Spurstalk, but when I do it almost always feels like 95% of the posters don't have even a shred of objectivity. Kinda funny in a way, I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020 and it isn't particularly close.
    Can't tell if you're serious, trolling or a combination thereof, but as Neo. said, I don't know how there could be an asterisk when the cir stances were even.

'17, '18 and in particular '19, are the automatics ('15 is arguable). I know how much Stockholm Syndrome Spurs fans worship at S bag's alter and lust after him, but when a superstar player intentionally tanks his value culminating in a trade/team forming that otherwise would have never occurred, the credibility is instantly destroyed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't tell if you're serious, trolling or a combination thereof, but as Neo. said, I don't know how there could be an asterisk when the cir stances were even.

'17, '18 and in particular '19, are the automatics ('15 is arguable). I know how much Stockholm Syndrome Spurs fans worship at S bag's alter and lust after him, but when a superstar player intentionally tanks his value culminating in a trade/team forming that otherwise would have never occurred, the credibility is instantly destroyed.

We all hate Nephew and the Dubs, but last year's bubble championship was a joke. No fans, no travel, key players missing due to COVID, and four months rest beforehand? That's some bull right there.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

TD with the butthurt goods per par etc

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all hate Nephew and the Dubs, but last year's bubble championship was a joke. No fans, no travel, key players missing due to COVID, and four months rest beforehand? That's some bull right there.
    It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the cir stances surrounding how those were won. I hated the Lakers are much as anyone for a long ass time, but you don't see me including any of theirs.

The problem with everything you're listing is that you're acting as if the Lakers somehow benefitted from these cir stances, instead of having to deal with them like everyone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the cir stances surrounding how those were won. I hated the Lakers are much as anyone for a long ass time, but you don't see me including any of theirs.

The problem with everything you're listing is that you're acting as if the Lakers somehow benefitted from these cir stances, instead of having to deal with them like everyone else.
    They sure as benefitted from the rest and the lack of travel moreso than other teams due to the fact their roster was older and injury-prone.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    They sure as benefitted from the rest and the lack of travel moreso than other teams due to the fact their roster was older and injury-prone.
    sorry you often bring goods but thats just dumb

yes injuries are part of the game but to basically say its an unfair advantage when an "injury prone" team doesnt suffer injury is just absurd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry you often bring goods but thats just dumb

yes injuries are part of the game but to basically say its an unfair advantage when an "injury prone" team doesnt suffer injury is just absurd.
    Didn't say it was an unfair advantage tbh, just that they benefitted from it moreso than other teams. Miami clearly had the most to gain from the bubble conditions, along with Denver imo; no way they come back from 1-3 deficits twice in a true playoff environment, especially against a far more talented team in the Clippers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if true, that's a luck of the draw type thing more so than it is something shady going down.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Didn't say it was an unfair advantage tbh, just that they benefitted from it moreso than other teams. Miami clearly had the most to gain from the bubble conditions, along with Denver imo; no way they come back from 1-3 deficits twice in a true playoff environment, especially against a far more talented team in the Clippers.
    on the other hand, you could argue that they never go down 3-1 to begin with if they had help from the home playoff environment, or didnt have the added energy from motivation to shut hostile crowds up

or for those who said teams like miami benefitted because they shot better from not being in hostile environments, then why didnt their opponents shoot better too? why were guys like paul george shooting so awful, if it was so easy to shoot in such a non-hostile environment?

even more, did miami really just shoot lights out like everyone claims? i mean not a single one of their rotation players shot 40% from three for the playoff run. they simply played excellent team ball, great defense and spo coached incredibly well. not sure how the bubble environment accounts for that

in the end, everyone had the same cir stances in an unfortunate situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh Denver didn't win that series, the Clippers threw it away.

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Truth tbh. It was basically a perfect scenario for an aging LeBron and always hurt AD. The bubble le honestly shouldn’t count. NBA les shouldn’t be decided in empty gyms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shortened year asterisk:

No travel asterisk

No fan asterisk

Long mid year layoff asterisk

Summer camp type asterisk

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Only pussies & assholes lodge asterisks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    95 Houston with Drexler would have for sure, don't really think 94 though with Vernon Maxwell the second option would have been enough.
    Maxwell always played well vs MJ for some reason, he made him work and was a better defender than Dan Majerlol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the league made sure Jordan was out to make the road easier for Houston. Payback for their troubles in the late 80s if you know what I mean.

Otherwise the league would have to retrain the refs to not give phantom call to Jordan and that would be hard to do.
    Oh I know what you mean

As for Jordan you’re right, refs wouldn’t have been able to officiate property, they were too used to bailing Jordan out

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh I know what you mean

As for Jordan you’re right, refs wouldn’t have been able to officiate property, they were too used to bailing Jordan out
    You've nary room, lefty. Your club dipped your beaks into the gravy for years. C'mon, now, fess up. I was more than happy right next to you when Amare' went but Duncan stayed. We shook hands, high five-ed and carried on something fearsome. Then you told me to get lost, I wasn't welcome, your didn't stink, vamoose, and bye, Dale.

Stand the gaffe, lefty.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I rarely come downstairs here on Spurstalk, but when I do it almost always feels like 95% of the posters don't have even a shred of objectivity. Kinda funny in a way, I guess.
    Oh, definitely. I love the Spurs fans. They're #2. Suns fans #1, but these 2 fandoms are bereft of objectivity.

They were nurtured that-a-way, Spurs fan more so.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh I know what you mean

Okay, now let amb talk and you nod like he nodded when you was talking, lefty. That's how they do it on the CNN. One talks, while the other one nods, then they switch off. Like clockwork.

Thread Information