Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ducks
    DOESN'T WANT KIDD:
    Tim Duncan says he'd much rather see Spurs go after big man to replace David Robinson instead of signing another point guard such as Jason Kidd.
    - Before Gregg Popovich and his staff decide to reach out for that certain someone or two, I assume they'll ask for your opinion?"
    "Yeah, I'm sure they'll come to me and ask for my input," Duncan agreed.
    "And, what do you think your team needs most?"
    "We need another scorer."
    "With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."
    "And, who would you like to replace him?"
    "There's Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller. P.J. Brown is also out there. He'd be a nice fit, too," answered Duncan before offering a stream of accolades on behalf of restricted free agent Elton Brand, the Clippers' undersized macho forward - the starting lineup's version of Malik Rose.
    "Who would you prefer? A center or a power forward?"
    "That's a good question. I prefer a center," Duncan said after a brief pause.
    Guess that decides that.

article written by Peter Vecsey scoop

Archie
    Duncan apparently said he thinks the team needs a scorer above anything else.

ducks
    kidd has a bad shooting % kidd can score

scott
    I guess that leaves the hot shooting Jason Kidd as the best choice...

Archie

Ghost Writer
    Read, Archie. Duncan qualified that "scorer" as being any number of big men that I and others have targeted for some time now, including:

J. O'Neal
    E. Brand
    PJ Brown

Don't rule out the 'Kandi Man for significantly less than the max.

I'm surprised a sane person would think Kidd would leave the Nets for the Spurs based on these Finals.

Archie
    Actually Duncan said that the Spurs need another scorer.

Anyone who's seen the ups and downs of this playoffs knows what he meant.

ducks
    Spurs chairman Peter Holt tried to do his best to quash the Jason Kidd-to-San Antonio speculation.
    "The media has played this Jason Kidd thing up much bigger than we have internally," Holt said. "Because if you look at our team, who are we? No. 1, we are a defensive team. Secondly, the key player we're losing is (center) David Robinson, who's been our anchor for 14 years."scoop

Ghost Writer
    Don't be ignorant, Archie. Read:

"With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."
    "And, who would you like to replace him?"
    "There's Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller. P.J. Brown is also out there. He'd be a nice fit, too," answered Duncan before offering a stream of accolades on behalf of restricted free agent Elton Brand, the Clippers' undersized macho forward - the starting lineup's version of Malik Rose.
    "Who would you prefer? A center or a power forward?"
    "That's a good question. I prefer a center," Duncan said after a brief pause.
    Guess that decides that.
    Just get on board with what the smart minority of us pushed for from the start of the Holt-ing Pattern — replacing Robinson.

Archie
    Don't even start, you ignoramus. He clearly said that the Spurs "need another scorer". Then he proceeded to say that "With David Robinson leaving we definitely need a big man."

Scorer 1st
    Big 2nd

Not hard to understand.

scott
    And yet,

Jason Kidd != Scorer

Archie
    And yet, Payton = scorer.

DeSPURado
    Archie, How are those (scorer and big) supposed to be read as being exclusive of eachother?

SequSpur
    I'm lost... what are you talking about?

Kidd a scorer? Yeah right..

CosmicCowboyXXX
    *sigh*

why couldn't it be anyone besides Vecsey to report this?

the guy is like the "anti-truth" when it comes to rumors...

I sure wanna believe, though...:eyebrow

Jimcs50
    Kandi > DRob so if we get him and another nice player like Jon Barry who can play D and score that would ne nice. Keep Willis as a backup, sign Jax and Claxton, sign Kandi and Barry or someone like him.

Archie
    The Spurs need to acquire a great player this summer no matter what. I would take 35 year old Payton for 2 or 3 seasons anytime over Olowokandi and Brad Miller.

There are four great players available this summer...Kidd, JO'Neal, Payton, and Brand. Outside of those guys you have some decent talent available, but none I would want over any of those top 4.

The Spurs cannot afford to pass on top talent simply because it does not fit their "needs." This franchise struggled in the 1990s to build a decent supporting cast for DRob due to a lack of tradeable talent. Passing on an all-NBA First Team member like Jason Kidd for excrement like Michael Olowokandi would be the biggest **** up ever in the history of the San Antonio Spurs organization.

Ghost Writer
    Earth to Archie!

We're winning a le this year. We'll be losing Robinson from this championship rotation. If we plug in an upgrade over Robinson like J. O'Neal, E. Brand, M. Olowokandi or even PJ Brown — you'll have more scoring and a big man replacement enhancing a le team.

Winning the le this year impacts the results of the Holt-ing Pattern... good, bad or indifferent.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    The Spurs cannot afford to pass on top talent simply because it does not fit their "needs."
    Yes they can. You don't try and fit a round peg in a square hole. What good is getting a player if they don't address any weakness on our team?

This franchise struggled in the 1990s to build a decent supporting cast for DRob due to a lack of tradeable talent.
    Well I think they've solved the supporting cast problem, don't you?

The Spurs have worked hard to be in this position, they aren't gonna **** it up by getting someone they don't need just to suit you.

Last time I checked, Kidd was neither a scorer or a big man.

AHF

NCaliSpurs
    www.nydailynews.com/sport...2736c.html

"Everybody says Jason Kidd," Holt said of the speculation. "The media has played the Jason Kidd thing up much more than we have internally because if you look at our team ... who are we? We are a defensive team first. Secondly, the key player we are losing this year is David Robinson, who has been an anchor of this team for 14 years ... we may end up going in other ways."
    Jason Kidd is an option. But he ain't number one if we win the championship. And he ain't leaving if he does.

Man in Black1
    :brotha

The greatest Spur ever has said the following.
    And how about this? A New York reporter asked David Robinson what he would do if he were the Spurs G.M.? Jason Kidd or no Jason Kidd?

“Any time you have a chance to get a Jason Kidd, you get Jason Kidd. We’ll put them both on the floor at the same time if we have to,” David said. “Jason’s an incredible player. You don’t pass up an opportunity to get a guy like that. You don’t pass that up. As good as Tony is, both of those guys together would make you great. I wouldn’t pass that up.”
    :white

What do you think of that-Ducks? There are choices to be made. Place faith in the organization that has gotten you Parker & Ginobili via smart drafting and brought the likes of Rose, Jackson, Willis, Ferry and to a limited extent, Bowen, off Scrap-heaps and finally did smart trades to get Kerr, Claxton, Smith and Bateer. DRob & Tim...Those guys are both people whose opinions matter.

I don't find the OBFUSCATION unusual. CIA BLACK OPS is working.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    MIB,

And we should put faith in that because...

* Drob has ever said anything bad about anyone

* Drob, if he were the kind of person to say something bad about someone, would certainly say it prior to game 4 on the road in the NBA Finals about the opposing team's best player.

Come on now, think a little.

AHF

NCaliSpurs
    Also, the intent of his statement was not Jason Kidd over any other person. He was merely talking about a player as great as Jason Kidd.

scott
    A few months ago we had Tim Duncan talking about how he'd love to play with Jason Kidd, Peter Holt on KMOL talking about how he thought that Tony and Jason could play together, and David Robinson saying that Tony was the man.

Now we have Tim Duncan talking about how he'd rather have a scorer or a big man (which Kidd is neither of), Peter Holt talking about how the media has started the speculation (not the Spurs), and now David Robinson saying if you have a chance to get a Jason Kidd, you get him.

Sounds to me like an organization that likes to **** with our heads more than anything else!

ducks
    is daivd playing the company line

everyone knows they are going after kidd. is cia pop really after someone else

besides that dave can say whqat he will do to bad for you he is not the boss or player anymore

Thread Information