Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a thread like this already but whatever. What potential deals are possible if the Spurs were willing to take the route of renting out their capspace for picks?

Utah is going to be deep in the tax if they keep Conley. And one of the things Lindsay got clipped for seems to be spending money and picks on bigs like Favors.

Favors salary

21-22 - $9,720,900

22-23 - $10,183,800 player option.

They have pick #30.

Would eating $20 million of Favors for 2 years be too much for #30? Back in the day the cost of salary was more or less $15 million for a pick that late like with Richard Jefferson for instance.

OR there has been some talk about Ingles getting moved. Ingles only has 1 year left at $12,436,364. He might have too much value to get #30 attached to him.

Chicago

If they want to keep Markkanen but also spend some money on free agents, getting rid of Aminu's 10.183 million would help. They have pick #38 this summer.

Boston

Hard to keep out of the tax if they want to keep Fournier. Tristan Thompson seems fully washed and wasn't a favorite of Brad Stevens, and is on the books for $9,720,900 in 21-22. The only have pick 45 in 2021 so I'm guessing some other picks would have to be involved unless they wanted to add something like Nesmith.

Any other potential deals?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've mentioned this in other threads - while the idea of selling cap space for picks is good, there aren't too many actual deals to be made, because teams like Cavs aren't sending lottery picks attached to the Love types, and most other realistic deals like the Favors one you've mentioned, or say Kemba, would come with late picks that aren't worth the financial commitment.

I doubt the Spurs would do deals like this, however, they could facilitate trades being the third team with cap space and try collecting assets this way if their FA targets are gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've mentioned this in other threads - while the idea of selling cap space for picks is good, there aren't too many actual deals to be made, because teams like Cavs aren't sending lottery picks attached to the Love types, and most other realistic deals like the Favors one you've mentioned, or say Kemba, would come with late picks that aren't worth the financial commitment.

I doubt the Spurs would do deals like this, however, they could facilitate trades being the third team with cap space and try collecting assets this way if their FA targets are gone.
    Just depends. If they aren’t going to use the cap space this season, getting any 1st, even late, is prudent. I can definitely see it happening either as a dumping ground or trade facilitation as you say.

They will likely go after free agents first but if nothing pans out there? Eating a year or 2 for a first isn’t the worst especially if a player like Favors can likely be moved later for another asset as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there just dont seem to be as many crappy deals out there as there use to be, or at least the type teams want to attach 1st to get out of. Even the Brick and Wall deals, have two years left these days, and Chris Paul's deal doesnt look terrible anymore.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the crappy contracts have way too high of a pick. No one is giving up a top 16 pick simply to shed salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than the ones already mentioned I could see the Lakers, Clippers, Minnesota, Golden State and Atlanta looking to shed salary.

Lakers- Trez if he opts in and they don't really S&T for DeRozan
    Clippers- Kennard
    Minnesota-Rubio
    Golden State- wiggins
    Atlanta-either Galinari or Capela (probably Galinari unless they think Okongwu is ready to start)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than the ones already mentioned I could see the Lakers, Clippers, Minnesota, Golden State and Atlanta looking to shed salary.

Lakers- Trez if he opts in and they don't really S&T for DeRozan
    Clippers- Kennard
    Minnesota-Rubio
    Golden State- wiggins
    Atlanta-either Galinari or Capela (probably Galinari unless they think Okongwu is ready to start)
    Wiggins is my least favorite on that list.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiggins is my least favorite on that list.
    For me it's just a matter of the compensation for taking the contract. Kennard is the only one there that 'might' be a longer term keeper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GS aren’t dumping Wiggins’s contract - they’ll need it for a star trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but that could be part of the dump...moving it to a 3rd team with space..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors Get: Kuzma + KCP + pick 22

Lakers Get: Derozan

Spurs Get: Wiggins + pick 7

I know with draft and FA this may be a bit wonky to pull off (meaning doing a S&T) but maybe SA would take Wiggins here?

GS gets major salary relief while upgrading their roster for win now along with still having 2 1sts this year

Lakers get their guy in Derozan (if they are truly interested)

Spurs punt free agency for this year (and possibly next if they can’t move Wiggins) but would get picks 7 & 12 this year to usher in more of the rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the route I want the Spurs to take tbh. Sell your capspace for picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as spurs dont waste that space on mills/derozan its a step in the right direction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors Get: Kuzma + KCP + pick 22

Lakers Get: Derozan

Spurs Get: Wiggins + pick 7

I know with draft and FA this may be a bit wonky to pull off (meaning doing a S&T) but maybe SA would take Wiggins here?

GS gets major salary relief while upgrading their roster for win now along with still having 2 1sts this year

Lakers get their guy in Derozan (if they are truly interested)

Spurs punt free agency for this year (and possibly next if they can’t move Wiggins) but would get picks 7 & 12 this year to usher in more of the rebuild.
    I have a lot of issues with this trade. First of all, as discussed in other threads, it’s illegal as DDR can’t be signed and traded on draft night.

Also it’d mean a capitulation for Warriors’s championship hopes for the sake of savings. They’ve shown the will to spend and I can’t see them completely change course, especially with Steph being a FA soon. They have the assets for a star trade - Wiggins, Wiseman, 7, 14, future picks - this is a very good offer that few teams could beat. They may not get Beal or Lillard but it’s enough to get another really good player.

Besides if they simply want a salary dump and are offering 7 they could get better deals than having to take on KCP and Kuzma.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a lot of issues with this trade. First of all, as discussed in other threads, it’s illegal as DDR can’t be signed and traded on draft night.

Also it’d mean a capitulation for Warriors’s championship hopes for the sake of savings. They’ve shown the will to spend and I can’t see them completely change course, especially with Steph being a FA soon. They have the assets for a star trade - Wiggins, Wiseman, 7, 14, future picks - this is a very good offer that few teams could beat. They may not get Beal or Lillard but it’s enough to get another really good player.

Besides if they simply want a salary dump and are offering 7 they could get better deals than having to take on KCP and Kuzma.

Its definitely a pipedream

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Disagree (some). Setting aside the legality (would be difficult but not impossible if agreed upon before hand which we know teams do): KCP + Kuz would improve their chances at winning now. They are better than Wiggins and provides more depth. Not stars but better than Wiggins.

Sure, if they can land a superstar for their assets by all means. This is not a plan A for them. But in the event they cannot land a star? Being able to save money, still have 2 1sts to hedge for future and get more compe ive this year? That’s a lot of good things imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's somewhat true, but who is going to trade their star and be happy taking Wiggins and his contract back in return. You are happy if you get him a pick in a salary dump at number 7. If you have Bradley Beal are you excited about the number 7 pick and Wiggins? Even if you got the 14 pick too, are you really that excited about that. It will be interesting what they do with Wiggins and whether someone trading an all-star would want him. The issue is, if you salary dump him for a draft pick, say the 14th pick, then who are they going to sign with that salary cap space? The only player I could see that would justify that would be Kawhi signing there as a free agent. And I could see Pop refusing to do a trade that would facilitate Kawhi signing there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's somewhat true, but who is going to trade their star and be happy taking Wiggins and his contract back in return. You are happy if you get him a pick in a salary dump at number 7. If you have Bradley Beal are you excited about the number 7 pick and Wiggins? Even if you got the 14 pick too, are you really that excited about that. It will be interesting what they do with Wiggins and whether someone trading an all-star would want him. The issue is, if you salary dump him for a draft pick, say the 14th pick, then who are they going to sign with that salary cap space? The only player I could see that would justify that would be Kawhi signing there as a free agent. And I could see Pop refusing to do a trade that would facilitate Kawhi signing there.
    GS had issues with scoring when Steph sat and defense when Wiseman was in. It would have to be 2 separate deals, but DDR and Poeltl for Wiseman, Wiggins and a pick seems to make GS a much better team. Poeltl's screening skills would become legendary in GS. DDR can carry the scoring load for significant stretches of the game. Spurs end up with 3 lottery picks and Wiggins for Nephew.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was listening to an episode of Locked On Kings and they're basically screwed out of keeping Richaun Holmes if they don't drop salary. Maybe they can dump guys to other teams or stretch waive, but just for the exercise ...

Delon Wright (8.526, 1 year), pick #9 and pick #39

For Spurs pick 12

They get off the 8.5 million for moving down 3 spots and 39. They might be able to still get what they want at 12 and can afford to keep their starting center

Can probably do it cheaper in other trades like just giving Bagley away, but there it is

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You also have to wonder how much luxury tax GS is willing to pay since they would be in repeater status.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was listening to an episode of Locked On Kings and they're basically screwed out of keeping Richaun Holmes if they don't drop salary. Maybe they can dump guys to other teams or stretch waive, but just for the exercise ...

For Spurs pick 12

They get off the 8.5 million for moving down 3 spots and 39. They might be able to still get what they want at 12 and can afford to keep their starting center

Can probably do it cheaper in other trades like just giving Bagley away, but there it is
    Jesus, how is Sacramento in cap ? They don't even have that many good players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Combination of big deals on the books (Fox max, Hield, Barnes, Bagley getting over 11 as a #2 pick)

And Holmes only has early bird rights on a cheap deal. Unrestricted. So they can't use early bird to pay him more than, 4/50? Or was it 4/60?

Either way a team like Charlotte can come over the top of them and they need a center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Combination of big deals on the books (Fox max, Hield, Barnes, Bagley getting over 11 as a #2 pick)

And Holmes only has early bird rights on a cheap deal. Unrestricted. So they can't use early bird to pay him more than, 4/50? Or was it 4/60?

Either way a team like Charlotte can come over the top of them and they need a center.
    Those early draft picks are murder if you don't hit them. Even if the player is middling their future contracts start eating up the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For Spurs pick 12

Good info, would love to see this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For Spurs pick 12

Instead of Wright, how would you feel about Harrison Barnes? Contract is 20 million this year, 18 next so he doesn't screw over cap space for 2023 FA class, he's 28, can play either forward positions. Swap 9 and 12. Opens up cap room for Holmes and Spurs get a better opportunity to secure their guy in the draft. He works on D, can shoot the 3, good FT shooter ... He'll consistently give you 16/6/4 working within the offense without having to dominate the ball.

Thread Information