Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Combination of big deals on the books (Fox max, Hield, Barnes, Bagley getting over 11 as a #2 pick)

And Holmes only has early bird rights on a cheap deal. Unrestricted. So they can't use early bird to pay him more than, 4/50? Or was it 4/60?

Either way a team like Charlotte can come over the top of them and they need a center.
    This is the Spurs’ fate if they max Collins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead of Wright, how would you feel about Harrison Barnes? Contract is 20 million this year, 18 next so he doesn't screw over cap space for 2023 FA class, he's 28, can play either forward positions. Swap 9 and 12. Opens up cap room for Holmes and Spurs get a better opportunity to secure their guy in the draft. He works on D, can shoot the 3, good FT shooter ... He'll consistently give you 16/6/4 working within the offense without having to dominate the ball.
    Allegedly the Kings really like Barnes and would like to play him more at the 4, if the guests and hosts on locked on Kings are to be believed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the Spurs’ fate if they max Collins.
    I doubt it. They already have the guys locked up and affordable who are unlikely to even get bigger offers when those deals are over.

Poeltl makes less than Bagley. Fox almost makes what Murray and White do combined.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it. They already have the guys locked up and affordable who are unlikely to even get bigger offers when those deals are over.

Poeltl makes less than Bagley. Fox almost makes what Murray and White do combined.

Yea,really no comparison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allegedly the Kings really like Barnes and would like to play him more at the 4, if the guests and hosts on locked on Kings are to be believed
    I wouldn't want to part with Barnes either. If they want to keep Holmes, then Barnes, Hield, or Bagley need to be moved. Otherwise they'll be reaching for Holmes' replacement at 9 in the draft. They need to clear close to 12 to 15 million to keep Holmes, and Charlotte is the biggest rumored threat to go after him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Utah will be sending Favors to OKC according to reports, no doubt with some kind of draft compensation attached.

Why aren't the Spurs in on that deal?

Favors wouldn't prevent a max offer sheet to whoever they wanted. They could use a competent back-up center. And they could use some veteran presence in the locker room if they move on from their free agents.

Why does this keep happening?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Utah will be sending Favors to OKC according to reports, no doubt with some kind of draft compensation attached.

Favors wouldn't prevent a max offer sheet to whoever they wanted. They could use a competent back-up center. And they could use some veteran presence in the locker room if they move on from their free agents.

because the Spurs literally don’t do anything creative. The most boring conservative blah franchise going right now. Free agency will be an absolute dud. They will either A) do nothing or B) overpay some 35+ year old over the hill guys and end up buying them out. Management stinks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s called incompetence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My confidence in the FO ability overall has been shaken after this draft. Still early I know, but that was always the consolation prize: “even if they whiff at free agency, at least they draft really well.”

Now I’m concerned that even if they do then”dumping ground” strategy, that they’ll whiff on the assets coming back.

Really hope to be proven wrong, and will be first to eat crow if Primo becomes a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What was that fancy dealmaking the Spurs did back in the day to get Turkoglu? They did something with Brad Miller for Sacramento, I think? It pulled a rabbit out of a hat for us. It doesn't seem like this FO has those abilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My guess is the Spurs legit plan on keeping those cap holds for other things. Could easily see them re-signing guys, since they're the Spurs. But given that DeRozan is basically looking at only S&T destinations right now, the Spurs need to keep space to hold onto that. Would I have taken this deal? Yes, as there were guys that 30 I liked. But if they were just going to draft Wieskamp there anyway, it would've been a lot of money to pay for whoever else they'd've gotten at 41.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the deal is done. Favors and a future first for a future second.

Spurs stay losing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because the Spurs literally don’t do anything creative. The most boring conservative blah franchise going right now. Free agency will be an absolute dud. They will either A) do nothing or B) overpay some 35+ year old over the hill guys and end up buying them out. Management stinks
    The actual reason is that we won’t have cap room for 4 days. OKC has had it all year. They’re probably at the minimum salary floor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The actual reason is that we won’t have cap room for 4 days. OKC has had it all year. They’re probably at the minimum salary floor.
    Thank you for saving me having to type this exact same thing.

There will be more than ample opportunities to use the space later. As long as these S&Ts remain viable and can bring back more than a salary dump, you keep the holds on your books. They have three guys that competing teams will have interest in. Yes, they can all sign the MLE but these teams may prefer to move other salaries for them and retain the MLE for someone else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no difference in now vs 4 days from now

It doesn't save Utah any money for the 20-21 season. According to cbafaq, luxury tax is determined by team salary the day of the last regular season game. It doesn't save Utah anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allegedly a 2024 top 10 protected pick

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Kings, instead of dumping Delon Wright with draft assets to clear room to keep Holmes, just swapped him for Tristan Thompson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Kings, instead of dumping Delon Wright with draft assets to clear room to keep Holmes, just swapped him for Tristan Thompson.
    Terrible terrible deal for Sacramento. Delon Wright is actually a very decent player. Well done Atlanta for turning Dunn and Fernando, who barely play, into a legit combo guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no difference in now vs 4 days from now

It doesn't save Utah any money for the 20-21 season. According to cbafaq, luxury tax is determined by team salary the day of the last regular season game. It doesn't save Utah anything.
    They’re looking for relief next year. Thought that would be obvious.

The difference between now and currently 3 days from now is that in 3 days, we will have cap room.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the deal is done. Favors and a future first for a future second.

Spurs stay losing.

why would you blow your cap space on Derrick ing Favors before you even have a shot at free agents?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would you blow your cap space on Derrick ing Favors before you even have a shot at free agents?
    It’s OKC. Amazingly, they spent 3 first rounders, traded one of them for two future firsts, and picked up one future first from Utah. Net: zero. They have two new players, and exactly as many firsts as they had entering the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is a Wiggins deal to be had.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's about negotiating with Utah to get them to wait a few days. That's all.

There's not many free agents worth having, and they would have enough to take Favors and still max Collins if they wanted. , I've seen posters talk up bringing Dieng back at mle-type money. Better to get a similarly paid backup and get a lotto protected pick while they're at it

Thread Information