Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jimcs50
    Today on Dan Patrick, Bill Walton and Rick Bucher had a knock down dragout fight on whether SA will go after Kidd in July. Bill Walton says that SA would be foolish to go after him because Parker is the pointguard of the present and future for SA. Bucher says that he has it on good intel that SA is going to make a push to get Kidd, no matter how he plays against TP in the series. He says that SA is 100% sure they are going to try to sign him come July. They argued back and forth the whole segment and Bucher says to just wait a month and all will see that he is right.

Can the Spurs seriously be considering this move???? I think it is ludicrous to even entertain such a notion and I will protest it vehemently.

Thoughts?

Guru of Nothing
    I don't know what will happen, but I'm confident SA only goes after Kidd at Duncan's insistence. There could be no other explanation.

Man, we are gonna have some fun times discussing all this after the Finals.

basketballfan05
    If San Antonio even thinks about getting Jason Kidd, they're not thinking at all! Parker, what I've seen so far, can be better then Kidd if he works for it. Don't get me wrong..Jason Kidd is the best point guard, hands down. But, Tony is young and if he works hard, he'll get there. SA needs to let him mature and with Jason there, you can forget about it.

IcemanCometh
    Tony does not run the team as well as a Kidd or Nash would.

But he can do other things. We have Tony Paker he is our pg.

STOP ING TRYING TO FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN

Admiral
    I have been strongly against going after Jason Kidd from day one, and I still stand by that. We have Parker, who is already good and only going to get better. We need a big man like Jermaine O'Neal, NOT a point guard. If we can't get that big man this year, we should prolong the Holting Pattern one more year and get a big star next summer.

Jason Kidd is not the answer to our problems, and bringing in Kidd (even if it means keeping Parker as well) would not work. Parker should be treated like a franchise cornerstone, second only to Duncan, and bringing in Kidd would only impede his development and risk running him off after his rookie deal is up.

The fact that the Spurs would even still consider such a move is insane. If Tim Duncan wants Kidd, I question his judgment and eye for talent. I doubt Duncan wants Kidd though, and possibly never did in the first place.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    The bottom line is we need Tony Parker the scorer more than we need Jason Kidd the passer to make this team click.

Do we need to go out and blow 12 million per year starting out to have someone to pass it into Duncan on the block?

Gimme a break.

Kidd should be plan C this summer.

Plan A - Jermaine O'Neal.
    Plan B - Payton and PJ Brown
    Plan C - Kidd

I think Kidd would be fun out running with TP, Manu, and SJax, but truthfully having Malik Rose starting is the scariest part pertaining to Kidd's signing that I want no part of.

AHF

scott
    You forgot what is actually my plan A, AHF.

A) Brand
    B) O'Neal
    C) Whatever combo you want to come up with
    D) Kidd

I'm not so sure about Payton. I like what we have at the 2, and I part of the reason I'm against Kidd is because I don't buy into the 2 PG scheme- so why would we want Payton? Don't get me wrong, he is a great player- but the only reason I could see signing him rather than Kidd is for a 1 year deal and to get the capspace back next offseason.

Guru of Nothing
    I think Kidd would be fun out running with TP, Manu, and SJax, but truthfully having Malik Rose starting is the scariest part pertaining to Kidd's signing that I want no part of.
    I want to refrain from jumping into off-season opportunities until the finals, but it's a slow night.

My first choice (and I reserve the right to change my mind), is JO, BUT a Kidd/Parker back court intersests me. TP = SG on offense, but guards the oppositions 1, except maybe against Marbury. Then big brother Jason enters the pic.

As for Rose starting, and still reserving the right to change my mind, I like Rose coming off the bench.

Now, I hate to say this, because I want to keep Parker, but TParker's trade value will likely be very high after the Finals, maybe high enough to bring in a young, talented front-court player to start alongside Duncan, thus Malik remains in his 6th man role.

Screw it! Occam says sign Jermaine O'Neal.

IcemanCometh
    Unlike you people I've always been of the philosophy that what we really need is a swingman who can handle the ball create his own shot and defend. We have the bigman we have the pg we don't have the great 2g. Thats why our offense bogs down so much. We need a mcgrady/kobe/pierce typle player more than we need a garnett/oneal/webber type.

Unfortunately the best player that fits that has a few problems, his name being Lamar Odom. He could become a true superstar in this league with the right coaching. Or he could become a complete washout. But he has all the tools to be great.

That said

Plan A Jermaine Oneal
    Plan B Lamar Odom + Maggette

NCaliSpurs
    You guys can't fathom how good Timmy would play, at this point in his career, with another dominant big man.

We keep this same team, but upgrade big time on defense and offense.

Brand or Oneal.

Kidd would also make this a better team. Just not as good as Oneal.

Plan B should be kidd.

Archie
    The Spurs would be on crack to pass on adding Jason Kidd to this team if he wanted to come. The Spurs cannot afford to pass on a player like him, especially this summer. This is their last legit shot to add a superstar teammate for Duncan during his prime playing years. I'd don't want to see Duncan subjected to what DRob experienced pre 1996-97.

The reason they are going to be targeting Kidd first is because The Man wants him. It's that simple.

What matters most is that they add a great player to this team in the offseason. Add that caliber of talent and then you adjust. If things don't work out then you have talent to trade. That is preferable to adding crap players simply because they better meet your "needs."

As long as they get someone out of Kidd/JO'Neal/Brand/Payton then I am one happy mother er. I'll leave it to the experts to complain about a potential Jason Kidd and Tim Duncan tandem wearing the silver & black for the next 6 years.

Guru of Nothing
    Scott, I like Brand as much as O'Neal (maybe more), but without a binding promise from DSterling not to match an offer from the Spurs, I don't think we have snowball's chance of signing him.

Walton Buys Off Me
    I don't know what will happen, but I'm confident SA only goes after Kidd at Duncan's insistence.
    It was probably Duncan's insistence that signed Malik Rose to a seven year contract as well......

If the Spurs go after Jason Kidd this offseason, I will sever my ties as a fan with the team. Not only would they be hurting the maturation process and development of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, but they would essentially be saying that Malik Rose will be a starter next year, passing up on Jermaine O'Neal and Elton Brand, two players that are light years ahead of Rose in every conceivable category.

Time will tell but for a respected guy like Bucher to say that, he must have some dirt......

Aggie Hoopsfan
    scott,

the only reason I could see signing him rather than Kidd is for a 1 year deal and to get the capspace back next offseason.
    And then I implement your plan A.

Mark it down: Brand will take a one year offer and become unrestricted next summer.

Sign Payton for a year, let him teach a few more tricks to Tony, get his ring, then bring in Brand.

I agree with Ice, I'd like to get Odom, I just have heard that Sterling likes him the most out of anyone on his squad.

AHF

Betsy
    One way or the other, the Spurs need a big man to replace DRob. But it would not hurt to have a man like Kidd also. If they can not get JO, then they should go fo Kidd. But the big man should come first. No doubt. 2

Guru of Nothing
    If the Spurs go after Jason Kidd this offseason, I will sever my ties as a fan with the team.
    Jim, here's another $100 bet staring you in the face.

SpursFanInAustin
    I can only hope that the Kidd to SA rumors are nothing but a smokescreen (CIA Pop), to be under the radar when they make their pursuit of Jermaine O'Neal.

SequSpur
    Its funny how some here are saying that Parker couldn't run the team better than yada yada yada...

Parker has sent the best fishing...

No need for a PG...

If Jackson would quit turning the ball over every other time he touches, these playoffs would be over already and we would be celebrating down on the riverwalk.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    For some who think I'm overly critical of Pop, if we go after Kidd front and center come July 1st, you ain't seen nothing yet.

AHF

Archie
    Yeah, if Pop goes after an all-NBA first team member who just led his team to the NBA Finals then he deserves a wild rant from some poster in a Spurs fan forum.

Yeah.

spursfaninla
    I have heard that moving parker, because of his very small rookie contract, would be difficult.

Not that other teams would not want him, but that other teams could not give us players close enough to his contract value that would interest us.

Who out there has a contract that is comparable to parkers dollars-wise that we would want?

We would only take a front court player, and who trades a great frontcourt player for a small backcourt play?

Gastol? (even with his recent play they would never do it)

Amare? (still no way)

Houston could use a point guard to move francis to the 2, but we don't want mobley.

I don't see the player we would want.

Thoughts?

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Archie, as a backup plan I don't mind.

However, on July 1st the first phone call and the first charter jet arriving at San Antonio International should all revolve around Jermaine O'Neal.

AHF

Morphgizmo
    Well, I'm on the wagon for a frontcourt all-star before Jkidd as well. But having said that, I'm not going to hang myself from the shower rod if we end up with Kidd instead. He's pretty damn good after all.

If they do grab Kidd, I'll reserve judgment until I see the team play together. The Spurs front office has left little reason for us to doubt them as of late. Boston, Orlando, Indiana, and countless other teams are kicking each other in the asses for passing on Tony in the draft right about now, and nobody saw Manu coming. The maneuvers to get Speedy for useless picks and Jax off the scrap heap were genius. If they don’t move AD and Spider to shave cap space and open up minutes, Kerr isn’t here to save our asses in game six against Dallas. Although I’m still scratching my head about the Bateer transaction, I think the Spurs brass will make the right call in the long run.

I think this is just a case of CIA mode in full effect. When was the last time anyone in the media accurately forecasted a Spurs draft, trade, or FA signing?

Archie
    If they got Kidd then you have a Kidd/Parker starting backcourt. Parker is more of a scoring point than a playmaker point. On D Kidd draws the opposing 2. Of course now the Spurs' opponents have to worry about keeping both of them out of the lane.

Speedy would be the obvious casualty of a Kidd acquisition. The Spurs could run a 3 man rotation in the backcourt with Manu coming off the bench. SJax would see his minutes at the 3 spot where he belongs.

Since Speedy wouldn't be coming back the Spurs would have enough cap room to go out and sign a big to start at the 4. If that cap came in at $42 mil or so then the Spurs would have roughly $3 to 4 mil to offer. What they would need is someone who could play about 25 to 30 minutes a game and provide about 8 boards a game with something like 8 to 12 points. PJ Brown might be a stretch for the Spurs since the mid level exception should be pushing $5 mil for 2003-04 I would think.

Kidd
    Parker
    Bowen
    Brown
    Duncan

Ginobili
    SJackson
    Rose

as your top 8.

KoriEllis
    David Robinson basically said today during practice that the Spurs are fools if they don't go after Kidd.

Something like (paraphrasing), "If you have the opportunity to get a Jason Kidd, you do. They can share the backcourt and that would be great"

Thread Information