View Poll Results: Your 2021 NBA Finals MVP?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • #3 Christ Paul - Distributing, Scoring, and Leadership

3 75.00%
  • #1 Devin Booker - Scoring and Explosiveness

1 25.00%
  • #22 DeAndre Ayton - Defense, Boards and Paint Domination

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jrue keeps up his defense and just goes like 17 and 7 on 50% shooting rest of the way the Bucks have a great chance still. Really rooting for him as he's one of my favorite non-Spurs but he's been struggling so hard on offense
    I'm a Holiday fan too, but he ain't Kawhi and you aren't getting him being your defensive ace and putting up an efficient 20 a night. Being the second scorer is Middleton's only job. He was decent in Game 1 but what a ing trainwreck in Game 2.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs didn't really own the Suns tbh. They beat them in 06 but Amare was injured. I think the Suns actually split with them in their 67 win 2006-07 season. Would've been a tough series for Dallas imo
    Mavs and Suns would have gone 7 but Mavs had HCA, yes they split on each other's home court so it would have been a nail biter. The refs loved to suck on Dirk and Josh Howard's s that year for some reason. Only chance the Suns had that year was to make the pace a track meet all game and shoot a very high % from three, because they had nobody to stop Dirk or Howard.

Mavs (+ refs) definitely owned the Spurs in 06 and 07 tbh. Dallas would have eliminated SA in 5 in 07 and probably won the ship had they gotten past GSW.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs and Suns would have gone 7 but Mavs had HCA, yes they split on each other's home court so it would have been a nail biter. The refs loved to suck on Dirk and Josh Howard's s that year for some reason. Only chance the Suns had that year was to make the pace a track meet all game and shoot a very high % from three, because they had nobody to stop Dirk or Howard.

Mavs (+ refs) definitely owned the Spurs in 06 and 07 tbh. Dallas would have eliminated SA in 5 in 07 and probably won the ship had they gotten past GSW.
    Spurs would've exacted their revenge. They should've won in 06 as it was.
    But Mavs going out definitely made it easier for them.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm a Holiday fan too, but he ain't Kawhi and you aren't getting him being your defensive ace and putting up an efficient 20 a night. Being the second scorer is Middleton's only job. He was decent in Game 1 but what a ing trainwreck in Game 2.
    Holiday has had his chance, his day in the sun. Milwaukee has only their selves to blame now that he has assumed what they feared he'd assume. The league is full of these types, of which the vast lion's share never come to fruition.

It's like when you pick up a hooker, with the fervent belief in your heart of hearts, bumster, that you're gonna get exactly what you bargained for because you laid out your cash for it and you didn't grudge it to the hooker.

No, you're damn lucky to get out with your life and the cash is GWTW. 2 hours later you forget all about the life you saved being your own. All you can think about is that beautiful cash.

ADDENDUM:::20-30 years later a clash of PTSD hits ya as you recall the incident(s) and it's all about the life you saved being your own,,,give or take a buck or 2. tee, hee.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

still can't believe what happened with Golden State. Dallas looked like they were on a mission against every other team, but went 0-3 against GS in the regular season despite going 67-15. You can tell it was getting in their heads at the end of the season when they knew they were going to play them too. They "rested" their starters in a late season road game against the Warriors because they knew they had their number and didn't want to get embarrassed right before the playoffs started. And then they changed their starting lineup in Game 1 despite being the 1 seed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still can't believe what happened with Golden State. Dallas looked like they were on a mission against every other team, but went 0-3 against GS in the regular season despite going 67-15. You can tell it was getting in their heads at the end of the season when they knew they were going to play them too. They "rested" their starters in a late season road game against the Warriors because they knew they had their number and didn't want to get embarrassed right before the playoffs started. And then they changed their starting lineup in Game 1 despite being the 1 seed
    Well they knew playing big ball with Dampier/Diop was a losing battle against the smallball death lineup unless the Warriors were trotting out Biedrins, which they did maybe 10 minutes out of a game. Against a lineup of Harrington/Jackson/Richardson (or Pietrus)/Ellis (or Pietrus)/Davis, the Avery Johnson slowball isoball scheme just wasn't going to work, especially on defense.

Those GSW were fun as to watch, much more so than the Curry pussyball GSWiggers, but unfortunately the We Believe 2007 GSW team were only about 8 men deep and the lack of depth killed them against Utah the next round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would've exacted their revenge. They should've won in 06 as it was.
    But Mavs going out definitely made it easier for them.
    If you go by "hand is part of the ball" foul theory, the Spurs should have been up 1 with the basketball, Mavs would have had to foul.

But who would you really have trusted to hit two pressure free throws in that situation? Manu of 2006 was not Manu of 2005.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Well they knew playing big ball with Dampier/Diop was a losing battle against the smallball death lineup unless the Warriors were trotting out Biedrins, which they did maybe 10 minutes out of a game. Against a lineup of Harrington/Jackson/Richardson (or Pietrus)/Ellis (or Pietrus)/Davis, the Avery Johnson slowball isoball scheme just wasn't going to work, especially on defense.

Those GSW were fun as to watch, much more so than the Curry pussyball GSWiggers, but unfortunately the We Believe 2007 GSW team were only about 8 men deep and the lack of depth killed them against Utah the next round.
    not to mention the Jazz had the physicality to slow the game down and hurt them inside. Boozer went off that series from what I remember. Meanwhile Dallas had "stone hands" Dampier and Diop who was nonexistent on offense. Both those guys were there just to slow down elite bigs but were useless against small ball teams like Golden State

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not to mention the Jazz had the physicality to slow the game down and hurt them inside. Boozer went off that series from what I remember. Meanwhile Dallas had "stone hands" Dampier and Diop who was nonexistent on offense. Both those guys were there just to slow down elite bigs but were useless against small ball teams like Golden State
    thing is, back then "small ball teams like Golden State" didn't exist outside of the Bay Area, CA. The next closest team was the Suns but if they took Amare out then, well there goes their best scorer and second best offensive engine. And the Suns had nobody to stop Dirk while the Warriors largely mitigated Dirk by throwing multiple guys at him (Harrington, Jackson and Pietrus) who were all very physical and frustrating. Sure, they called fouls, and GSW led the league in technical fouls by a mile, but it was a little bit like the Legion of Boom Seattle Seahawks where "they can't call holding every time" theory came into place.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    thing is, back then "small ball teams like Golden State" didn't exist outside of the Bay Area, CA. The next closest team was the Suns but if they took Amare out then, well there goes their best scorer and second best offensive engine. And the Suns had nobody to stop Dirk while the Warriors largely mitigated Dirk by throwing multiple guys at him (Harrington, Jackson and Pietrus) who were all very physical and frustrating. Sure, they called fouls, and GSW led the league in technical fouls by a mile, but it was a little bit like the Legion of Boom Seattle Seahawks where "they can't call holding every time" theory came into place.
    agree with that. That GS team had the classic "chimp out after every foul call" strategy to eventually wear out the refs enough to where they got too mentally fatigued to call every foul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still the most stunning series I ever saw, god Nelson bent AJ over that series. Spurs had a matchup nightmare like that as the 1-seed with the Suns in 03 where Marbury would turn into Prime Jordan against them every time but they got rescued by Stephen Jackson having a big series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree with that. That GS team had the classic "chimp out after every foul call" strategy to eventually wear out the refs enough to where they got too mentally fatigued to call every foul.
    then again, the Avery Johnson era Mavericks were by far the least likeable Dallas teams. Howard, Terry, Stackhouse... yuck. They were pretty reminiscent of the Durant-Westbrick era OKC teams that followed. Lots of isoball, little ball movement, lots of free throws from soft ticky tack foul calls... pretty much winning games from the free throw line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suns could throw Diaw and Marion on Dirk. Diaw was pretty good against Dirk in the 06 WCF, dropped Dirk's shooting percentage like 7 points vs what Nowitzki did to the Spurs in the second round. That Mavs team peaked early and I think wasn't nearly as good as their record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greek Freak.

Butthurt Suns phans when Freak finally gets a modi amount of help.

This is like watching Timmy Dunkar with Popped sending Bonner in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suns could throw Diaw and Marion on Dirk. Diaw was pretty good against Dirk in the 06 WCF, dropped Dirk's shooting percentage like 7 points vs what Nowitzki did to the Spurs in the second round. That Mavs team peaked early and I think wasn't nearly as good as their record.
    FYI they did start out 0-4, but yeah, they had three enormously long winning streaks in '06-07 that were both before March. They were 0-3 against GSW, 2-2 against the Suns and 3-1 against the Spurs, with the only loss being the very first game of the season. They also lost both late season games against GSW in the latter stretch of the '06 season, but one was on a fluky miracle shot by Jason Richardson and before the Baron Davis era. All 3 Dallas losses to GSW in 2007 were after the Davis/Jackson trade near the trade deadline.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Still the most stunning series I ever saw, god Nelson bent AJ over that series. Spurs had a matchup nightmare like that as the 1-seed with the Suns in 03 where Marbury would turn into Prime Jordan against them every time but they got rescued by Stephen Jackson having a big series.
    Rewatching that series, the most aggravating part of it (besides Dirk choking) was Dallas never committing a hard foul and just letting GS get layup after layup. Baron Davis getting into the lane damn near every possession and not having Dampier or Diop knocking him on his a$$ at all should've gotten Avery fired the minute after the series was over tbh

I honestly think they were scared to do it because GS had the 'goons' on their team whereas Dallas didn't. they were probably scared someone like Jackson, Barnes, or Harrington would punk them in return

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Rewatching that series, the most aggravating part of it (besides Dirk choking) was Dallas never committing a hard foul and just letting GS get layup after layup. Baron Davis getting into the lane damn near every possession and not having Dampier or Diop knocking him on his a$$ at all should've gotten Avery fired the minute after the series was over tbh

I honestly think they were scared to do it because GS had the 'goons' on their team whereas Dallas didn't. they were probably scared someone like Jackson, Barnes, or Harrington would punk them in return. you could tell GS had zero fear of Dallas, there was that one play where Matt Barnes was falling out of bounds and intentionally threw the ball off of Terry's head because he knew they weren't going to do anything about it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis the best player by far on floor is the logical choice

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Imo the way those 3 teams worked was Phoenix was a bad matchup for Dallas, SA was a bad matchup for Phoenix, and Dallas was a bad matchup for SA (I know Dallas beat Phoenix in ‘06 but there was no Amare and iirc Raja Bell was injured after game 1…the Suns were a lot more compe ive in that series than they should have been). Marion and Diaw both guarded Dirk decently well while the Mavs didn’t have an answer for Amare, Damp and Diop were nowhere near athletic enough to guard him. The ‘07 series would have been close but the Mavs just didn’t have a way to punish Phoenix for going small which is how you beat those Suns teams.

Also we’ll never know the full extent of it but I’m pretty sure Dirk was playing through an injury against GS that year and it was more severe than Dallas led on. He didn’t look right the entire series and it didn’t seem like pure choking it seemed like he was physically off.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Even if they were useless changing your starting lineup after winning 67 games was a horrible move by Avery, it was more or less a concession that they would try to beat GS at its own small ball game. I’d classify guys like Nazr Mohammad and Fabricio Oberto as stiff big men but Popovich never took them out of the rotation against Phoenix and they gave the Suns small lineups fits in a lot of ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I honestly think they were scared to do it because GS had the 'goons' on their team whereas Dallas didn't. they were probably scared someone like Jackson, Barnes, or Harrington would punk them in return. you could tell GS had zero fear of Dallas, there was that one play where Matt Barnes was falling out of bounds and intentionally threw the ball off of Terry's head because he knew they weren't going to do anything about it
    I wonder why Dallas didn't force the ball out of Davis' hand in Game 6. Golden State was about to end that series 4-1 and then Dallas just started doubling Davis without the ball in the 4th quarter of Game 5 and the Warriors fell apart. You'd think they'd have gone back to that in Game 6 when it saved their season a couple of night before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I honestly think they were scared to do it because GS had the 'goons' on their team whereas Dallas didn't. they were probably scared someone like Jackson, Barnes, or Harrington would punk them in return
    Yeah, Dallas was too soft, while GS was gangsta and had like 5-6 guys that were not afraid to punk a or cuss out a ref and get a technical foul... story of the series. I don't think Dirk really choked. Dirk had an epic game 5 and saved the Mavs from complete humiliation there. Mavs were down 10 with 3 minutes to play and Dirk dominated the rest of that game on both sides of the court and the Mavs won.

Funny thing is, Avery did get fired johnny on the spot after basically the same thing happened the next year with Chris Paul against the Pelicans. But the Mavs were hardly favorites there as the 7 seed.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 07-12-2021 at 10:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if they were useless changing your starting lineup after winning 67 games was a horrible move by Avery, it was more or less a concession that they would try to beat GS at its own small ball game. I’d classify guys like Nazr Mohammad and Fabricio Oberto as stiff big men but Popovich never took them out of the rotation against Phoenix and they gave the Suns small lineups fits in a lot of ways.
    Actually he did to some degree, the Duncan - Manu - Bowen - Parker - Barry or Finley lineup was pretty common in '07 (just Barry in '05), but Mohammed definitely got more playing time in '05 than he did against the Mavs in '06. Poop's gameplan against the Mavs was just atrocious. Not playing any bigs, not playing Robert Horry enough and well, obviously you can't play Duncan against Dirk because of foul trouble, so they threw guys that were way too small to guard Dirk and naturally it never worked.

Spurs were never going to beat the Avery Johnson Dallas team in a 7 game series even if Dirk wasn't 100%. AJ had Poop figured out and he knew it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a joke as Giannis got 41 with no shot more than 5 feet. Pathetic defender against the top tier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a joke as Giannis got 41 with no shot more than 5 feet. Pathetic defender against the top tier.
    So basically Giannis is just Shaq with wheels? And worse free throw shooting

Thread Information