6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

NBA penalizes teams fairly severely for robbing breaks at half court and even further back if the player is ahead. FIFA pretty well allows it.
    It was pretty clear that Saka was gonna be off to the races. If this had happened near the top of the box, it would've been a red card.
    Do it at midfield, and it's a yellow card slap on the wrist. Let's be honest, this is a game changer. And I don't blame Chiellini for knowing the system and working it.
    But if it's a red card does he still do it? With about eight minutes left in extra time, yea good chance. But at least England get to go at a team down a man as some sort of real compensation for having their scoring chance robbed.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    "TOP DEFENDERS" GET MULLIGANS!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

I will say that in this particular instance, the foul started with other defenders ahead of Saka, so the NBA breakaway rule as written would not have been in effect.
    But let's be honest, if the defenders weren't back some, this probably would've still been yellow and not red.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    This would have been a red too if there were no Italian defenders behind Chiellini, but Bonuci and others were there. Just like the breakaway rule in the NBA doesn't happen if there's a defender an inch closer to the basket than the attacker. So it's the same. Also, a red card in futbol is a much bigger penalty than 2 free throws and possession in basketball.

It's OK as it is, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    This would have been a red too if there were no Italian defenders behind Chiellini
    By the law as written, it could be. But refs aren't calling it at half field and at a side of the field; no way.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    ...but Bonuci and others were there. Just like the breakaway rule in the NBA doesn't happen if there's a defender an inch closer to the basket than the attacker. So it's the same. Also, a red card in futbol is a much bigger penalty than 2 free throws and possession in basketball.

It's OK as it is, tbh.
    Soccer doesn't have the same rule. It's just a "denying clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity," which is more subjective and often based on precedent. Even if Saka had been centered and twenty yards out and only had a quarter step on the defender, I don't think a ref would've (usually) given a red. It's a "tactical foul" that is considered "part of the game." I think it's bad for the game though.

Thread Information