Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    You live in a delusional alternate reality when it comes to soccer...

The dynamics that created the likes of Messi, Diego, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo or any of the European stars are actually produced by cultures that LIVE and BREATHE football.
    I've been to Mexico. I've seen them living and breathing football.

The reality is they still have a ceiling.

USA has a much better talent pool. It's not pivotal that we have a nation of soccer fanatics.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    there are high school players all across america who run sub 4 4 forties cant teach speed u can teach ball skills.........no team would beat america.......there would be no more 5 foot messies or skinny ronaldos dominating
    Eyup. It's like basketball. You can have a very skilled 5'9" player who has played for fifteen years.
    It's still the 6'8" winger that just picked up a ball for the first time that the NBA scouts will be looking at.
    Ronaldo is tall and athletic. IE genetically superior. He could've started playing when he was 16; he would've been fine.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Here in the U.S. even if sports such as baseball, football or basketball didn't exist most kids aren't being developed by the same dynamics that are creating these megastar soccer players in those other "footballing-is-life" nations... so the outright conclusion that U.S. athletes would somehow get the country to the front of the line in terms of soccer dominance is not a given.
    No.

If soccer was the only sport in US, we would be a powerhouse. That's not even up for debate.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Soccer takes a certain kind of skill, and that type of skill is usually produced by a hard life - and the type of perseverance that such cir stances engender.
    Did the banana republic government of your homeland sell you on this bill of goods?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Umm Messi and other skillful players such as Xavi, Iniesta, and even Diego are/were great precisely because they are/were short. Having a low center of gravity greatly enhances a player's balance so that they are able to shift directions quickly without loosing control of the ball.
    While there's a certain amount of validity in this viewpoint, it's really overstated at best.
    If this was the truth, the smaller rice eaters from Asia would be producing powerhouses.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Also, game speed and sprinting speed and ball-controlling speed are not the same thing. Clearly, you do not understand the game.
    He understands quite realistically that a guy like Balotelli wasn't beasting because of ball control.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    He understands quite realistically that a guy like Balotelli wasn't beasting because of ball control.
    Balotelli sucks tbh… yeah he can score but he makes boneheaded decisions all game long. His career will be ephemeral precisely because he lacks the technical skills to remain elite, given that he relies on his athleticism…

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    While there's a certain amount of validity in this viewpoint, it's really overstated at best.
    If this was the truth, the smaller rice eaters from Asia would be producing powerhouses.
    None of the Asian countries breathe and live football. You’re making the point for me. Besides, your rebuttal lacks context. I’m talking about the “10”-type players… You still need a mix of some length and height to field an effective defense (you kept harping on this particular point against Ecuador). So yeah, remind me what great defenders have come out of Asia?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    None of the Asian countries breathe and live football.
    They would if it went the way you say it goes.

The truth is they don't have the bodies for the physicality though.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    You live in a delusional alternate reality when it comes to soccer...

The dynamics that created the likes of Messi, Diego, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo or any of the European stars are actually produced by cultures that LIVE and BREATHE football. From the moment that the kids that are born into these nations start walking, they are already dribbling soccer balls and honing their skills... millions of kids are on a similar boat but very few actually have the talent (vision) and work ethic to refine their craft - those few, select kids are the ones that make it through... some kids may even have both of these qualities, but aren't given the opportunity to develop further for various reasons - chief amongst which is lack of financial stability.

Here in the U.S. even if sports such as baseball, football or basketball didn't exist most kids aren't being developed by the same dynamics that are creating these megastar soccer players in those other "footballing-is-life" nations... so the outright conclusion that U.S. athletes would somehow get the country to the front of the line in terms of soccer dominance is not a given. There are many 1st-world nations, with great footballing pedigrees and where "soccer is king" (and even where many of their best athletes are elite soccer players) AND EVEN then, these nations aren't guaranteed dominance over poorer nations. Soccer takes a certain kind of skill, and that type of skill is usually produced by a hard life - and the type of perseverance that such cir stances engender. Most soccer players in the U.S., however, actually come from affluent families that have the time and resources to register their kids into programs such as the ODP (Olympic Development Program) or other similar development programs. Such programs can only do so much.

Since the developmental dynamics are completely different... so too are the results.
    Agree.

But the bolded is BS.
    Give a kid a hoop and a basketball and they can get utterly hooked in any situation. In fact the hard life might involve having to work for the family instead of time honing skills. The culture required to just do tricks and constantly NEEDING the feel of a ball and the feet is engrained in kids. We see it most prominently in basketball. you dont even need a hoop, just dribbling to start with. It is the mindset of the young.
    Now if you argue that wealth in the US keeps kids INSIDE, I would agree with you. But kids in general have a tremendous drive to fiddle with some object, and balls are the best. Pencil twirling, juggling, throwing things at each other, chase.... all this is alive in kids. It just has to be nurtured. Golf and tennis take a tremendous amount of mental courage (too much time to think) which is why you seen big time burn out here compared to soccer. I think active movement that involves split second decisions without much time to think is extraordinarily healthy and craved by young ones.

Your underlined is much more obvious than just in soccer... Life and human societies, females, science, politics, probability.... actually thinking clearly....

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    They would if it went the way you say it goes.

The truth is they don't have the bodies for the physicality though.
    Yet China can still challenge or whoop our butts on medal count at the Olympics??? How is that possible according to your logic here? The reality is that athleticism and brute strength, even niche skills can all be developed. The vision required for being an “elite” compe or in fluid, non-scripted sports like soccer, however, is more intuitive than developmental, more innate than taught (therefore not everyone has it).
    Last edited by Phenomanul; 07-24-2021 at 11:49 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Yet China can still challenge or whoop our butts on medal count at the Olympics??? How is that possible according to your logic here?
    Where's your logic. Do you really need me to walk you through this? FIFA soccer and Olympics sports are different animals.
    If the World Cup went to China though, they'd probably compete though. Because like Russia 18, FIFA would look the other way as their players roided up.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    It seems a lot of women play what they call soccer in the US. I have never been to the US, but there are a lot of Americans of Latin-American and Italian descent for which it's appealing to start training and watch soccer games, so as the demographics shift, the North American soccer league will grew IMO.

But the league has to improve in quality, and bring great players to coach the players from young age.

Thread Information