Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, I think the people trying to compare him to Shaq are being lazy. Go back and look at a YouTube of Dave’s 94-95 MVP season. The combination of speed, power around rim, and even post moves are really similar. I bet if it was a thing people did then, Dave could have picked up the Giannis euro step too. Of course David was a much better shooter, but the comp seems like the right one.
    Dave is the reason why I became a Spurs fan but Giannis is definitely not Dave. Dave didn't have the ability to physically bully guys in the paint like Giannis does. Giannis literally can move guys all the way under the basket by backing them down. That's something Dave never had the ability to do.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dave is the reason why I became a Spurs fan but Giannis is definitely not Dave. Dave didn't have the ability to physically bully guys in the paint like Giannis does. Giannis literally can move guys all the way under the basket by backing them down. That's something Dave never had the ability to do.
    Different eras... Giannis would not be able to back down heavier bigs (Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, etc...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys can be serious homers at times lol
    Lol, you never saw David Robinson in his prime I take it. To call me a homer for saying a Top 50 player, Olympic Gold Winner, Unanimous Rookie of the Year & League MVP is "Giannis Light" is just ignorant. During his career he won the rebounding le, scoring le, DPOY & went up against Olajuwon, Ewing and Shaq in their primes. He had little to no help but stuck with the franchise. , because he sat out 2 years for his Naval duties, he could have entered the league his rookie year as a Free Agent but chose to stay with the Spurs. That's loyalty. World Class guy and athlete.

Last edited by tmtcsc; 07-23-2021 at 09:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh.. I remember playing 2K18 and managing to get Ayton AND Doncic. Multiple championships abounded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't have to bully guys out of the paint, he threw down alley-oops on their heads. Giannis just runs in to people. He has very little post moves. This wasn't intended to be a bash Giannis thread but lets be honest, he has a lot of improving to do before he enters the Top 50 all time conversation.

Good stuff here: https://www.landofbasketball.com/pla...d_robinson.htm
    Last edited by tmtcsc; 07-23-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different eras... Giannis would not be able to back down heavier bigs (Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, etc...).
    Drummond is not a great defender but he is a legit 280. I saw Giannis a few years ago in the playoffs straight up manhandle Drummond. That's when I first noticed his ridiculous strength. They were a few plays where he easily backed him down under the basket and got a dunk or lay up. Shaq is the only guy who is heavier than 280 out of the guys you listed. Giannis would be able to do the same to the rest of those guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't have to bully guys out of the paint, he threw down alley-oops on their heads. Giannis just runs in to people. He has very little post moves. This wasn't intended to be a bash Giannis thread but lets be honest, he has a lot of improving to do before he enters the Top 50 all time conversation.

Good stuff here: https://www.landofbasketball.com/pla...d_robinson.htm
    He didn't have the physical ability to back down guys in the post. That is really what separated Duncan from Drob was his ability back guys down in the post and score. Giannis doesn't have great foot work but he doesn't need it because he's so damn big that he can dislodge people by running into them or backing down. Giannis is already a top 50 player. The question is now will he able to crack the top 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't have the physical ability to back down guys in the post. That is really what separated Duncan from Drob was his ability back guys down in the post and score. Giannis doesn't have great foot work but he doesn't need it because he's so damn big that he can dislodge people by running into them or backing down. Giannis is already a top 50 player. The question is now will he able to crack the top 20.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a top 50 player. There are already a few guys on the list that he's now clearly better than. I have the original NBA's top 50 list down below. I can say for sure he's already better than James Worthy, Sam Jones, Lenny Wilkens.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Nate Archibald
    Paul Arizin
    Charles Barkley
    Rick Barry
    Elgin Baylor
    Dave Bing
    Larry Bird
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bob Cousy
    Dave Cowens
    Billy Cunningham
    Dave DeBusschere
    Clyde Drexler
    Julius Erving
    Patrick Ewing
    Walt Frazier
    George Gervin
    Hal Greer
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Magic Johnson
    Sam Jones
    Michael Jordan
    Jerry Lucas
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Pete Maravich
    Kevin McHale
    George Mikan
    Earl Monroe
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O’Neal
    Robert Parish
    Bob Pet
    Scottie Pippen
    Willis Reed
    Oscar Robertson
    David Robinson
    Bill Russell
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Nate Thurmond
    Wes Unseld
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    Lenny Wilkens
    James Worthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had the physical ability, he just didn't have the patience or consistency. He used to post up his defender and then quickly spin and roll around them for a reverse, alley oop dunk. Other times he faced up to the basket and just quickly went around them. The thing that separated Duncan from Robinson was Duncan's excellent footwork. He was nowhere near as athletic as David but his footwork was stellar. I'm not sure why you think Giannis is so damn big compared to DRob. Drob was 2 inches taller and only 6 pounds lighter. He was faster, could jump higher and pass the ball better. He was also svelte with very little body fat. I think I read somewhere that he had a 32 inch waist. We've all seen what Olajuwon did to David in 1 playoff game but David held his own against Dream on both sides of the ball. Who does Giannis contend with in the East?

More David Dunks -
    Last edited by tmtcsc; 07-23-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing that separated Duncan from Robinson was Duncan's excellent footwork. He was nowhere near as athletic as David but his footwork was stellar. I'm not sure why you think Giannis is so damn big compared to DRob. Drob was 2 inches taller and only 6 pounds lighter. He was faster, could jump higher and pass the ball better. He was also svelte with very little body fat. I think I read somewhere that he had a 32 inch waist. We've all seen what Olajuwon did to David in 1 playoff game but David held his own against Dream on both sides of the ball. Who does Giannis contend with in the East?
    Duncan had wider shoulders which helps when it comes to backing people in the post. Duncan also was laterally quicker than David. I have seen Giannis push guys under the basket like I said before with Drummond. Dave never physically backed down guys under the basket. His game was all built on beating guys to the basket for lay ups and dunks but not bullying them.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick Persons is not a smart man. Giannis is a poor man's David Robinson in my opinion. Ayton isn't even in the conversation.
    The man who just scored 50 to win a le ain't a poor man's nothing.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can say for sure he's already better than James Worthy, Sam Jones, Lenny Wilkens.
    Let me know when Giannis shoots 64 FG (as a wing player) in an NBA Finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel more like he wasn’t really taught that. He had the ability, saying otherwise is ridiculous. Dave was a monster in his latter days and could push around people. He pushed around KG. But he wasn’t taught the game of basketball and that’s really the amazing part of his game. The dude had 6 coaches in 5 years, was taught bball by the ing Navy, and took 2 years off. It’s a miracle he was as good as he was tbh. Like people gave early Lebron too but he eventually learned and figured it out. If you kept Larry longer or transitioned to Daddy Rich as the coach then I think he would’ve learned how to play the game.

But to act like Dave couldn’t bully Draymond or someone is disingenuous to him. Players were able to actually hold on to you back then and able to use their elbows and forearms to guard you. Today it is literally a foul if you rest up on the post player or put a forearm on them. It’s hard as to guard in the post without these techniques.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan got out of the way to not be posterized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two different players DRob and Greek Freak. Both athletic freaks. DRob played more big man moves, while Giannis has more guard (he did play as a PG). Different positions, no comparison. Ayton is NOT even in the conversation.

Giannis will be top 5 PF by the end of his career. Timmy is Tier 1, KG, Dirk and Giannis in Tier 2, and Malone, Barkeley in Tier 3.

Giannis is already top 50 greatest, 2x MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP, NBA Champion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel more like he wasn’t really taught that. He had the ability, saying otherwise is ridiculous. Dave was a monster in his latter days and could push around people. He pushed around KG. But he wasn’t taught the game of basketball and that’s really the amazing part of his game. The dude had 6 coaches in 5 years, was taught bball by the ing Navy, and took 2 years off. It’s a miracle he was as good as he was tbh. Like people gave early Lebron too but he eventually learned and figured it out. If you kept Larry longer or transitioned to Daddy Rich as the coach then I think he would’ve learned how to play the game.

But to act like Dave couldn’t bully Draymond or someone is disingenuous to him. Players were able to actually hold on to you back then and able to use their elbows and forearms to guard you. Today it is literally a foul if you rest up on the post player or put a forearm on them. It’s hard as to guard in the post without these techniques.
    I have been watching the NBA since 1991. So I don't know what Dave was like before then when it comes to his Navy days but I know of his game since '91 which was his second year in the league. Dave was physical with KG on defense and stood up to him but that has nothing to do with backing down an opponent in the post or over powering them. When I refer to posting up I'm talking about playing back to basket like Duncan did which was something Dave could never do. When I talk about overpowering I'm referring to how Shaq could throw his body into people and dislodge them and either get a dunk, lay up. Dave could not do that either.

Tim Duncan actually said in an interview this year on what he hates about the current game which I'm paraphrasing "Guys are still allowed to beat the crap out of bigmen but you are not allowed to play physical defense on the perimeter." Guys are still allowed to play physical in the post today. The refs allow you to still maul bigmen. What's changed is you can't hand check and play physical with perimeter players. Draymond Green is the best example of this considering he's allowed to always hack the out of bigmen and also grab them.

Dave would school Draymond today the same way he schooled other guys with was threw his super athletic abilities. He would drive by Draymond for dunks or layups and when he couldn't drive by he would hit his great midrange jump shot.
    Last edited by daslicer; 07-24-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two different players DRob and Greek Freak. Both athletic freaks. DRob played more big man moves, while Giannis has more guard (he did play as a PG). Different positions, no comparison. Ayton is NOT even in the conversation.

Giannis will be top 5 PF by the end of his career. Timmy is Tier 1, KG, Dirk and Giannis in Tier 2, and Malone, Barkeley in Tier 3.

Giannis is already top 50 greatest, 2x MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP, NBA Champion.
    Agreed I don't know how anybody can be that stupid to say he's not a top 50 player now. It sounds equally as stupid as the story Sean Elliot told a year ago about when the Spurs won the le in '03 that there was still a ton of people at ESPN that believe Duncan was not a sure thing for the Hall of Fame.

I get it that people hate Giannis game since it's all about brute force, and athletic ability along with it being ugly to watch but to say he's now not a top 50 player is pretty stupid after what he's accomplished. Very few guys will top his resume.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been watching the NBA since 1991. So I don't know what Dave was like before then when it comes to his Navy days but I know of his game since '91 which was his second year in the league. Dave was physical with KG on defense and stood up to him but that has nothing to do with backing down an opponent in the post or over powering them. When I refer to posting up I'm talking about playing back to basket like Duncan did which was something Dave could never do. When I talk about overpowering I'm referring to how Shaq could throw his body into people and dislodge them and either get a dunk, lay up. Dave could not do that either.

Tim Duncan actually said in an interview this year on what he hates about the current game which I'm paraphrasing "Guys are still allowed to beat the crap out bigmen but you are not allowed to play physical defense on the perimeter." Guys are still allowed to play physical in the post today. The refs allow you to still maul bigmen. What's changed is you can't hand check and play physical with perimeter players. Draymond Green is the best example of this considering he's allowed to always hack the out of bigmen and also grab them.

Dave would school Draymond today the same way he schooled other guys with was threw his super athletic abilities. He would drive by Draymond for dunks or layups and when he couldn't drive by he would hit his great midrange jump shot.
    No I understand what you’re saying. I’m not saying that Dave was a back to the basket player. Although he did have a hook shot. But he was primarily a face up and go around you or fake post up and spin past you type of guy. I know all of that. What I’m saying is that literally nobody taught him how to play basketball like a big man. He grew something like 7 inches in 2 years and then played for Navy which just told him to jump at everything and dunk and use your athleticism. They didn’t actually teach him how to dominate. Like imagine if he played for Dean Smith instead.

And then he got to the pros and everyone saw his amazing potential but nobody took the time to have him live up to it and become this dominant player that he could’ve become bc nobody was there long enough or we just hired sucky coaches. I mean Tark lasted 17 games. How does that help D-Rob? I think Bass took over at some point. Lucas. These are horrible things to happen for a player to develop. So D-Rob was just like ok I’m gonna just go with what works, athletic ability and quickness. even defensively, as great as he was, we didn’t really have a system other than Dave jumps for the block.

I guess what im saying is that Dave could have learned how to do this stuff. The 90s was extremely physical to make up for a lot of lack of talent from role players. He would’ve done much better in today’s NBA though where nobody knows how to post anyways and everyone plays soft defense. It’s not like Giannis knows how to post either. And what im saying is how the league is now filled with shorter centers or soft big men like Durant, I’m sure D-Rob could bully them. Like if you think he wouldn’t be able to push Durant around then idk what to tell you. Giannis wasn’t pushing around Ayton but going right around him. Also the rule I think was implemented this year where you can’t have your forearm on the guy. It’s a really recent rule.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I understand what you’re saying. I’m not saying that Dave was a back to the basket player. Although he did have a hook shot. But he was primarily a face up and go around you or fake post up and spin past you type of guy. I know all of that. What I’m saying is that literally nobody taught him how to play basketball like a big man. He grew something like 7 inches in 2 years and then played for Navy which just told him to jump at everything and dunk and use your athleticism. They didn’t actually teach him how to dominate. Like imagine if he played for Dean Smith instead.

And then he got to the pros and everyone saw his amazing potential but nobody took the time to have him live up to it and become this dominant player that he could’ve become bc nobody was there long enough or we just hired sucky coaches. I mean Tark lasted 17 games. How does that help D-Rob? I think Bass took over at some point. Lucas. These are horrible things to happen for a player to develop. So D-Rob was just like ok I’m gonna just go with what works, athletic ability and quickness. even defensively, as great as he was, we didn’t really have a system other than Dave jumps for the block.

I guess what im saying is that Dave could have learned how to do this stuff. The 90s was extremely physical to make up for a lot of lack of talent from role players. He would’ve done much better in today’s NBA though where nobody knows how to post anyways and everyone plays soft defense. It’s not like Giannis knows how to post either. And what im saying is how the league is now filled with shorter centers or soft big men like Durant, I’m sure D-Rob could bully them. Like if you think he wouldn’t be able to push Durant around then idk what to tell you. Giannis wasn’t pushing around Ayton but going right around him. Also the rule I think was implemented this year where you can’t have your forearm on the guy. It’s a really recent rule.
    I don't think Dave had the body to be a post up player even if you say no one taught him how to do it. Dave really didn't like physical play and getting hit. He was never a banger but more so a super athletic finesse player. People get deceived by Dave's great physique and think that he could be a power player inside but he didn't have the body like Tim to do it. Tim had wider shoulders and had a better base and center of gravity to operate from while Dave didn't have those physical attributes.

Giannis knows how to post up. I have seen him do it plenty of times. He knows how to get position on the block and back down guys. He may not have the footwork Tim did but he definitely can back down guys in the post. Go to 2:21 on the video down below and see him get post position against Simmons and back him down easily for the dunk. Dave never had the physical power and strength to do that type of move.

I don't know why you bring up the Durant example of guarding Dave. Durant would never guard Dave even in this current NBA. Dave would own Durant like he's always owned other people which is by driving by or around him for a dunk or layup. I don't know why it's hard for you to understand that Dave is not a power player. Another example of a power player I will give is Keldon Johnson granted Keldon is not a bigman but notice when Keldon drives into the paint he barrels into guys and initiates the contact knowing they are going to move back on contact which is going to create space for him when he attacks guys while facing up.

Actually I saw quite a few plays in the finals where Giannis literally went through Ayton. He would drive in the paint and bump him for either a layup or dunk. You can see in this play Giannis drives to the hole and bumps Ayton and then dunks the ball. They were also plays where Giannis used his speed to drive by and around Ayton for easy layups and dunks. Giannis has the ability to beat you with power and finesse which is why he's a very difficult player to guard.

1:12 Giannis backs down Ayton and gets a jumphook on him, 1:20 Giannis goes right through Ayton and gets hit but still scores despite not getting the call, 1:59 post up spin and one on Ayton, 2:30 post up's and overpowers Ayton.

In conclusion I'm not even knocking David for not having the power and post up game that Giannis had but just saying he just never had the physical ability to do it. Dave is still an all-time great somewhere ranked in the top 25 . He was a very talented player and I felt could have won it all in '95 had Rodman not gone AWOL in the WCF. The Spurs also were cheap during his prime and not willing to surround him with the right players to win. If they had gotten Barkley like some said or made the effort to get good guards then there is a high chance he could have ringed without Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Dave had the body to be a post up player even if you say no one taught him how to do it. Dave really didn't like physical play and getting hit. He was never a banger but more so a super athletic finesse player. People get deceived by Dave's great physique and think that he could be a power player inside but he didn't have the body like Tim to do it. Tim had wider shoulders and had a better base and center of gravity to operate from while Dave didn't have those physical attributes.

Giannis knows how to post up. I have seen him do it plenty of times. He knows how to get position on the block and back down guys. He may not have the footwork Tim did but he definitely can back down guys in the post. Go to 2:21 on the video down below and see him get post position against Simmons and back him down easily for the dunk. Dave never had the physical power and strength to do that type of move.

I don't know why you bring up the Durant example of guarding Dave. Durant would never guard Dave even in this current NBA. Dave would own Durant like he's always owned other people which is by driving by or around him for a dunk or layup. I don't know why it's hard for you to understand that Dave is not a power player. Another example of a power player I will give is Keldon Johnson granted Keldon is not a bigman but notice when Keldon drives into the paint he barrels into guys and initiates the contact knowing they are going to move back on contact which is going to create space for him when he attacks guys while facing up.

Actually I saw quite a few plays in the finals where Giannis literally went through Ayton. He would drive in the paint and bump him for either a layup or dunk. You can see in this play Giannis drives to the hole and bumps Ayton and then dunks the ball. They were also plays where Giannis used his speed to drive by and around Ayton for easy layups and dunks. Giannis has the ability to beat you with power and finesse which is why he's a very difficult player to guard.

1:12 Giannis backs down Ayton and gets a jumphook on him, 1:20 Giannis goes right through Ayton and gets hit but still scores despite not getting the call, 1:59 post up spin and one on Ayton, 2:30 post up's and overpowers Ayton.

In conclusion I'm not even knocking David for not having the power and post up game that Giannis had but just saying he just never had the physical ability to do it. Dave is still an all-time great somewhere ranked in the top 25 . He was a very talented player and I felt could have won it all in '95 had Rodman not gone AWOL in the WCF. The Spurs also were cheap during his prime and not willing to surround him with the right players to win. If they had gotten Barkley like some said or made the effort to get good guards then there is a high chance he could have ringed without Duncan.
    We are gonna just have to disagree here. Giannis has a hook shot. That’s about it. Dave could also do a hook shot. He wasn’t known for it and it wasn’t his go to but he could do it. I mentioned Durant bc that’s who would switch onto Giannis when he was looking for a weakness. And Simmons is kinda my point. I think Dave would go right through Simmons. I’m not saying Dave is Shaq but you aren’t really recognizing that nobody knows how to play post defense anymore. I think in today’s game, Dave could post up if he had to. It would be kinda dumb but he could do it. I for sure think he could learn a ing power dribble and go through a guy in today’s game. In the 90s he was going against legit big men every night. Ostertag, Hakeem, Mutumbo, Shaq, Mourning, Smits, Ewing, Duckworth. These are some big boys. I don’t think Giannis could go through these guys either. I for sure don’t see him barreling through Oakley and the Davis bros. Or Malone or even Barkley or Vin Baker. In today’s game, Giannis can push people around but back then i don’t think he could.

I don’t ever think the post would’ve been his bread and butter and tbh he posted quite fine. If you go back and watch the Houston series he was in the post. But as you know he just had such ty teammates that posting up was stupid. It plays into the opponents hand. We had nobody that could make them pay for double or triple teaming Dave. It was so annoying to watch AJ or Vinny play. They hemorrhaged points and never made the defense honest.

I used to think Giannis played just like D-Rob or would be what D-Rob would be in today’s game but he has evolved into a different player. He is so much stronger than other players in the wussy nba and he is faster than any big man in pretty much any nba and has amazing handles for a big man. There is no player like Giannis. I don’t think Dave could learn to dribble like Giannis. He was also a better shooter than Giannis and Giannis likes to get dirty while like you said Dave doesn’t. But defensively Dave was just so much better it’s ridiculous. And he could hit free throws. I think that Giannis is being used more like Westbrook and Shaq combined and it’s awesome. Drive into the paint and just one man fast break it with your athleticism or bully people when you can’t. Smart of Bud to finally have Giannis in the post this postseason bc this is the first year he has actually played primarily from the post. Other years he was outside at the top of the key trying to create something or they had him as the dunk man. Phoenix was stupid though not to double team him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are gonna just have to disagree here. Giannis has a hook shot. That’s about it. Dave could also do a hook shot. He wasn’t known for it and it wasn’t his go to but he could do it. I mentioned Durant bc that’s who would switch onto Giannis when he was looking for a weakness. And Simmons is kinda my point. I think Dave would go right through Simmons. I’m not saying Dave is Shaq but you aren’t really recognizing that nobody knows how to play post defense anymore. I think in today’s game, Dave could post up if he had to. It would be kinda dumb but he could do it. I for sure think he could learn a ing power dribble and go through a guy in today’s game. In the 90s he was going against legit big men every night. Ostertag, Hakeem, Mutumbo, Shaq, Mourning, Smits, Ewing, Duckworth. These are some big boys. I don’t think Giannis could go through these guys either. I for sure don’t see him barreling through Oakley and the Davis bros. Or Malone or even Barkley or Vin Baker. In today’s game, Giannis can push people around but back then i don’t think he could.

I don’t ever think the post would’ve been his bread and butter and tbh he posted quite fine. If you go back and watch the Houston series he was in the post. But as you know he just had such ty teammates that posting up was stupid. It plays into the opponents hand. We had nobody that could make them pay for double or triple teaming Dave. It was so annoying to watch AJ or Vinny play. They hemorrhaged points and never made the defense honest.

I used to think Giannis played just like D-Rob or would be what D-Rob would be in today’s game but he has evolved into a different player. He is so much stronger than other players in the wussy nba and he is faster than any big man in pretty much any nba and has amazing handles for a big man. There is no player like Giannis. I don’t think Dave could learn to dribble like Giannis. He was also a better shooter than Giannis and Giannis likes to get dirty while like you said Dave doesn’t. But defensively Dave was just so much better it’s ridiculous. And he could hit free throws. I think that Giannis is being used more like Westbrook and Shaq combined and it’s awesome. Drive into the paint and just one man fast break it with your athleticism or bully people when you can’t. Smart of Bud to finally have Giannis in the post this postseason bc this is the first year he has actually played primarily from the post. Other years he was outside at the top of the key trying to create something or they had him as the dunk man. Phoenix was stupid though not to double team him
    Malone would just elbow Giannis in the head and follow it up with some crotch shots by Stockton.
    And then Malone would hack his huge arms down on old boy's forearms as hard as he could to soften him up repeatedly.
    That Utah team was so dirty...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malone would just elbow Giannis in the head and follow it up with some crotch shots by Stockton.
    And then Malone would hack his huge arms down on old boy's forearms as hard as he could to soften him up repeatedly.
    That Utah team was so dirty...
    Giannis has a mean streak in him unlike Dave. He would have definitely hit Malone back after taking a dirty elbow from him. Malone is a guy who would freeze up whenever a guy was a brave enough to stand up to him . Hence him having meltdowns against Rasheed Wallace.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes we are going to have to agree to disagree.

1. You pretty much moved the goal post when I proved Giannis plays back to basket by basically saying "Well he couldn't do this during the 90's because the guys were bigger back then." Why wouldn't Giannis be able to go through Ostertag,Hakeem,Mutumbo,Mourning,Ewing,Smits,Duckw orth. They are all in the same weight class as Andre Drummond and he easily went through Drummond a bunch of times. I have seen Giannis also go through Embiid who is listed at 280. The only guy I don't see him being able to go through is Shaq. I don't get why you listed Smits. Smits was slow as . Giannis could just go by him easily on every possession. I grew up in NC watching the Hornets and saw both Mourning and LJ have their way with Oakley in the paint. Oakley was just a dirty thug that would give hard fouls but both of those guys took turns abusing him. Giannis is bigger than LJ and is the same size as ZO. ZO was able to post up and bang in the paint I don't see why Giannis wouldn't be able to do it in the 90's. The only case you have with the Davis bros and Oakley is that they could have injured Giannis with their dirty flagrant fouls but he would've adjusted and gave it back to them since he's a pretty big guy.

2. Dave couldn't post up it had nothing to with having ty teammates. He was never a post up player like Hakeem,Duncan,Shaq where you could throw the ball on the block for an iso play.

3. The problem with doubling Giannis is that now he has become a better playmaker. He's good at finding the open man. I don't think there is a team that is currently assembled to defend Giannis right now. You need at least one super athletic big that can stay in front of him along with a strong rim protector in the paint waiting for him much like Toronto had with Ibaka-Gasol-Siakam in '19. With that being said the Bucks can still lose next year to the Nets simply because they don't have the offensive firepower to contend with them when they are healthy. You could have a series where Giannis is averaging 30-40 against the nets but his team still loses.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis has a hook shot.
    Calling that push shot a hook is generous, tbh.

Thread Information