Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick Perkins is nearly as dumb as Jalen Rose who's nearly as dumb as Jay Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson had a pure jumpshot. Ayton doesn't have any skill like that.
    At a minimum. Robinson was an all time great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is great, but he's closer to a traditional big man, lmao. The Admiral was an athlete anomaly closer to .. Giannis if anyone from today's league
    Only faster, better on ball defender, better passer, shot locker and had a really good j.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At a minimum. Robinson was an all time great.
    He really was.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick Perkins trying to be the next Skip Bayless is just bizarre.
    Nothing bizarre about that. There's a lot of money on the table for that position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick Persons is not a smart man. Giannis is a poor man's David Robinson in my opinion. Ayton isn't even in the conversation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jalen Rose called Perkins out this morning, and this jackass still does nothing but bumble and fumble through sentences about how he’s right and everyone else is wrong. Greenie straight up just got out of his chair and walked away

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have drafted Doncic.
    To get swept in 1st rounds for 85% of the time he's under contract with them?

Luka is the epitome of Dallas sports- so much hype, promise and help BUT, in the end, he'll let his believers down like pall-bearers are wont to do and as have Dallas fans have come accustomed to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously. Dunno who is going to be the bigger overpaid Dallas bust; Luka or Dak.

Also, Dallas fans should be called -pinatas because, when kicked in the ass, countless s fall out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick Persons is not a smart man. Giannis is a poor man's David Robinson in my opinion. Ayton isn't even in the conversation.
    I love DRob, became a Spurs fan because of his rookie year. But you have to give Giannis some love. Giannis has better guard skills than DRob, but of course 2 inches shorter. Also as much as I love DRob, I can’t say he had that “ump” to get it to the next level like Timmy, MJ, Kobe and now Giannis. I mentioned before, maybe the admiral was “too nice,” didn’t take basketball seriously with other hobbies. I don’t know. But I would bet, Timmy rings with the 1995 roster in DRob’s place, Avery, Del Negro, Elliot, Rodman, Doc Rivers, Anderson, Chuck Pearson, JR Reid, mings, Moses Malone (albeit at 90 yrs old). That’s a pretty solid group.

Yeah, DRob was a freak athlete with “good” guard skills, ahead of his time, the 1st one I saw imo, but with big man moves. Giannis, freakish athletes with SF/PF moves. Ayton, not as freakish athlete as the two with more traditional big man moves. Different games imo.
    Last edited by John B; 07-22-2021 at 08:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love DRob, became a Spurs fan because of his rookie year. But you have to give Giannis some love. Giannis has better guard skills than DRob, but of course 2 inches shorter. Also as much as I love DRob, I can’t say he had that “ump” to get it to the next level like Timmy, MJ, Kobe and now Giannis. I mentioned before, maybe the admiral was “too nice,” didn’t take basketball seriously with other hobbies. I don’t know. But I would bet, Timmy rings with the 1995 roster in DRob’s place, Avery, Del Negro, Elliot, Rodman, Doc Rivers, Anderson, Chuck Pearson, JR Reid, mings, Moses Malone (albeit at 90 yrs old). That’s a pretty solid group.

Yeah, DRob was a freak athlete with “good” guard skills, ahead of his time, the 1st one I saw imo, but with big man moves. Giannis, freakish athletes with SF/PF moves. Ayton, not as freakish athlete as the two with more traditional big man moves. Different games imo.
    lol no

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

D-Rob didn't have a Middleton and a Holiday, tbh. Not only that, D-Rob played in an all-time bigs era. Would be hard to see Giannis replicating the success against D-Rob, Olajuwon, Ewing, Shaq, etc. He could've been more like T-Wolves Garnett against all that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To say that Ayton is David Robinson right now is way off. But Ayton may be a dominant center in his own right over the next couple of years. David Robinson didn't come into the league as a sop re. He came into the league at 24. Ayton came into the league at 19. This year during the finals, he was 22 years old. So we'll have to see what he becomes in two years. Then you can start to do an apt comparison to Robinson. If you are comparing 22 year old Ayton to 24+ David Robinson, then no, it's not an apt comparison. But would a 22 year old Robinson be better in today's NBA game if he only had one year of college? I don't know. David was a great player. It's hard to compare players in different eras, but Ayton was treated like a bust after his first year of being drafted, but he clearly became a better player this year and is on a positive trajectory in an era where big men don't have favorable rules like they did when David played. But Ayton can get to David's level. He has the tools to be that level of a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Literally the only thing solid about that group was Dave. Aj and Vinny might possibly be the worst starting backcourt of all time. Seriously, I can’t understate how bad they were. Every single point guard and shooting guard torched us bc those two pieces of couldn’t guard a shadow. Was mings on the team in 95? I don’t remember that. But Moses sucked and Doc was on his last legs as well. I’ve never heard anybody ever say J.R. Reid was good. Maybe you are thinking of him in college but as a pro he was underwhelming.

I hate the media narrative that Dave didn’t care or didn’t have killer instinct bc it’s a stupid one and you would think a Spurs fan would know better. It wasn’t that Dave didn’t have “killer instinct” it’s that he had the worst ownership in the nba outside of Sterling and tbh we were Sterling level bad during that timeframe. We put ZERO money into helping Dave. We could’ve had Charles Barkley but nope didn’t want to pay him. We didn’t want to pay Strickland so we got Avery ing Johnson as a replacement. We didn’t want to pay any player so we just got a buncha washed up vets and players that should never have been starters and ownership knew that as long as we had Dave we would be a playoff team. We hired a coach simply bc (and this is a direct ing quote) bc ownership knew we could pay him the least amount of money.

And in the 95 season it’s pretty common knowledge that Rodman sabotaged the team and quit 3 of the 6 games of that series. To this day, Doc Rivers doesn’t talk to Dennis. Also Dave was double/triple teamed 80% of the time he had the ball and we refused to double team Hakeem. We did the reverse where we single coverages Hakeem 80% of the time. It’s basically what the Suns did to Giannis this last series and what do you know, that doesn’t work against an all time great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude is re ed, tbh.

As many have said here, comparing Giannis to Admiral would've been a more accurate comparison. Except Robinson had a better shot. He would've mauled in today's league with today's centers and today's rules.

And I like Ayton.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Del Negro was horrible, what a disgrace to run that pos in an NBA starting lineup. Charmin soft, played no defense, didn't shoot the three much (always loved shooting long twos with a foot on the line), and was wildly inconsistent. And we're not talking 1999 AJ who would make people pay for leaving him open, 1995 AJ had no jumpshot whatsoever. The 1995 Spurs were horrendous in the backcourt thanks to Red McCombs getting cheap and letting Strickland walk for nothing three years before.

Did you even watch that series? Rodman was a liability to the team. Game 1 he left his man Horry wide open for the game winner because he wanted to run to the rim to stat pad his rebound numbers, like he always did. Game 2 he started jacking up wild threes, three of them in the first quarter, to force Bob Hill to bench him. After blowing the first two games at home Spurs go into Houston and even up the series 2-2 and everyone thinks the Spurs are back, Rodman decided to pick another fight with coach Hill by being late for practice before Game 5 and gets benched. Rodman was a cancer.

I have always been a big Chuck Person fan, but he sucked that playoffs, went ice cold. Still sad he got traded before the 99 season though, I think he would have been awesome on that team. And I love Terry mings, one of the two or three most underrated Spurs players ever, but dude blew out his knee in 1992 (and right after the Spurs shot down trading him and Willie Anderson for Barkley, ouch) and was a s of his former self after that injury.

So basically the starting lineup was Robinson, Elliott, and three huge liabilities coached by a re who kept getting in pissing matches with Rodman (which is likely why David and AJ wanted Pop to fire him). Don't think Duncan is ringing with that squad with the way Hakeem went nuclear and with the Rockets having such a strong backcourt with Drexler, Smith, Cassell, and Elie. All four of them were way better than any guard on the Spurs roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drob was a monster back in the day im not taking any of that away , but Drob would have completely destroyed fools in today's NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys can be serious homers at times lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously. Dunno who is going to be the bigger overpaid Dallas bust; Luka or Dak.

Also, Dallas fans should be called -pinatas because, when kicked in the ass, countless s fall out.
    Come on lol. Luka is light years better than Dak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is nothing without CP3 lobbing him dimes.

I can't stand Perkins. Robinson is similar to Giannis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys can be serious homers at times lol
    Giannis is literally the PF version of big Dave w/o the mid range j.

Yet, Giannis has a better handle/playmaking skills than big Dave ever did.

It is beyond stupid to say a guy that is a 2-time MVP, DPOY & Finals MVP at 26 years old is the "poor man's" anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Giannis isn't a poor man's DRob, he's what DRob would look like if he played in today's NBA.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a Spurs forum or a Suns forum? Ayton, he pussed out and lost, fo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Giannis isn't a poor man's DRob, he's what DRob would look like if he played in today's NBA.
    I agree, I think the people trying to compare him to Shaq are being lazy. Go back and look at a YouTube of Dave’s 94-95 MVP season. The combination of speed, power around rim, and even post moves are really similar. I bet if it was a thing people did then, Dave could have picked up the Giannis euro step too. Of course David was a much better shooter, but the comp seems like the right one.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Spurs fans who never even saw the Admiral play should not be allowed to compare him to anyone. YouTube can only show so much.

Thread Information