Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Count
    pitt & other acc members would join.......
    Join the BIG XII?? Um... what would that accomplish? How is that better?

I think it the Big 12 wants Fla St and Clemson, they'll have to fork out the exit fee dough and give equal tv revenue immediately.

At best it would be a step sideways because these days it's the big 10, SEC, then everyone else. , those two conferences might break off from the NCAA and agree to form their own league.

Now if the ACC and big 12 were to join together.....
    That would be a huge victory for the Big XII and an absolutely insane move for FSU to agree to. But who knows.

I think something like that would at least be an option if Big XII decides to give major financial concessions to FSU. Money is all they seem to really be interested in right now.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    All of this is what makes college football so interesting right now.
    There are all these fissures with no idea how they will eventually anneal into some other steady state.
    And Its more than just conference realignment.

Post Count
    I suspect that FSU may consider one option which is to take back their "grant of rights" and then try to pull a Notre Dame, which is to say they stay in the ACC but sell their football rights independently (something like how Notre Dame sells its football rights to NBC, except they would still be an ACC football member). Just one possibility. They aren't going to get into the SEC -- surely they know this.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I suspect that FSU may consider one option which is to take back their "grant of rights" and then try to pull a Notre Dame, which is to say they stay in the ACC but sell their football rights independently (something like how Notre Dame sells its football rights to NBC, except they would still be an ACC football member). Just one possibility. They aren't going to get into the SEC -- surely they know this.
    They don’t have near the National appeal or history of ND.
    Im not sure a network would pick the games up.
    In fact ND is possibly the only CF team to be able to pull this off.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    And they don't have the coveted AAU membership that the Big10 brags that their members have (although Nebraska has since been kicked out).

They really don't have much choice but just stay and hope for the best.

Man I hope ACC looks at the big 12 and says "yuk hate it but we need those guys hopefully we can work a deal".

Post Count
    And they don't have the coveted AAU membership that the Big10 brags that their members have (although Nebraska has since been kicked out).

Man I hope ACC looks at the big 12 and says "yuk hate it but we need those guys hopefully we can work a deal".
    I thought the ACC set a dangerous precedent when it allowed Notre Dame to join the conference back in 2013 but stay independent in football. Florida State, which clearly thinks very highly of itself, can now point the finger at Notre Dame and say they got special treatment and so should we as a major football school.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Yeah Texas wanted in the SEC badly. Enough to give up the Longhorn Network.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Yeah Texas wanted in the SEC badly. Enough to give up the Longhorn Network.
    This was clearly a recruiting move. And they will make more $. The games are much more palatable for Networks now.
    UT was losing a ton of talent in Texas to SEC teams and Ohio st.
    Not any more (for the last 3 cycles) and they are getting kids from SEC states, the west and California (Sarks stomping ground)

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count

The main complaint by the ACC big boys (of both sports) is the Conference prefers parity over showcasing their marquee programs. Ultimately same reason the Los Angeles schools left the Pac.

Things could have remained and ACC/PAC made due until the recent expansion.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    This was clearly a recruiting move. And they will make more $. The games are much more palatable for Networks now.
    UT was losing a ton of talent in Texas to SEC teams and Ohio st.
    Not any more (for the last 3 cycles) and they are getting kids from SEC states, the west and California (Sarks stomping ground)
    Money move

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Recruiting - I rather NIL transfers than spend on HS recruits. This also avoids angering upperclassmen if you splurge on a young recruit.

Miami FL is the outlier in recruiting under new rules. Strong classes not showcased on the field.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    And a recruiting move. As I stated.
    Kids absolutely want to play in the SEC.

No way they get kids like Colin Simmons, Brandon Baker etc… if they are not going to the SEC
    The kids said this themselves. Ex. Probably their highest drafted player to be, Kelvin Banks, knew he would be going from the SEC to the NFL (barring injury). Playing left tackle in the SEC against their edges will get him noticed. In his freshman year he gets all American on the back of his performance against Will Anderson of Alabama et al.

Arch Manning absolutely would not be at UT, he would be at Georgia. SEC recruiting effect.

Now they actually have to keep winning. UT is a cool school again. But it won’t last if they get crushed in, never see a playoff game like ATM in the SEC. Come to think of it ATM did not do that much better in the Big 12. Oh well…

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    And a recruiting move. As I stated.
    Kids absolutely want to play in the SEC.

No way they get kids like Colin Simmons, Brandon Baker etc… if they are not going to the SEC
    The kids said this themselves. Ex. Probably their highest drafted player to be, Kelvin Banks, knew he would be going from the SEC to the NFL (barring injury). Playing left tackle in the SEC against their edges will get him noticed. In his freshman year he gets all American on the back of his performance against Will Anderson of Alabama et al.

Arch Manning absolutely would not be at UT, he would be at Georgia. SEC recruiting effect.

Now they actually have to keep winning. UT is a cool school again. But it won’t last if they get crushed in, never see a playoff game like ATM in the SEC. Come to think of it ATM did not do that much better in the Big 12. Oh well…
    Eh, UT is doing fine in recruiting with or without the SEC.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    fine, yes

better since SEC agreement? absolutely.

Post Count
    Him especially. I just can't imagine him going to Texas unless Sark also had the SEC future to sell to him. It seemed so out of the blue that he even considered Texas given all his roots in the current SEC, but surly the move made a difference.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    Him especially. I just can't imagine him going to Texas unless Sark also had the SEC future to sell to him. It seemed so out of the blue that he even considered Texas given all his roots in the current SEC, but surly the move made a difference.
    arch mannings unlcle eli wanted to commit to texas mack brown chose simms..........sec or nary arch wouldve committed to texas.........

Post Count
    If the SEC were to add two more schools and had to choose between these six schools then who should they add? This is just a fun hypothetical… for now.

North Carolina
    Duke
    Florida State
    Miami
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    arch mannings unlcle eli wanted to commit to texas mack brown chose simms..........sec or nary arch wouldve committed to texas.........
    the SEC back then hadn't yet turned into the monster its become

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If the SEC were to add two more schools and had to choose between these six schools then who should they add? This is just a fun hypothetical… for now.

North Carolina
    Duke
    Florida State
    Miami
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson
    Clemson and Florida St. And I say this without knowing the viewership coverage which might be more significant with a school like North Carolina.

But South Carolina and Florida respectively, would vehemently protest.
    Then just run over those schools like the Aggies got pancaked by UT and OU?

Speaking of Florida they are getting absolutely crushed with all the players committing and transferring elsewhere. And their schedule next year is absolutely brutal.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count

North Carolina
    Duke
    Florida State
    Miami
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson
    the sec covets both unc & virginia........unc va would have priority over all other schools.......

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Just fine?

Not for Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St. type recruiting which is clearly where UT wants to get to.
    The NIL $ and the transfer portal gave UT some avenues to do better than whatever just fine is.
    ATM had possibly the best recruiting class ever but without the coach on the field… ATM and College Station!

College football is more cut throat than ever imo. The old image of loving your school and the education has totally burst. The 12th man will come out of the stands and put on the hat if you pay him properly.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    the sec covets both unc & virginia........unc va would have priority over all other schools.......
    I can see this … geographical expansion and with that viewership. Virginia would need to change some of its student requirements, they are more rigid. Possibly NC as well. I’m not sure with them.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    fine, yes

better since SEC agreement? absolutely.
    Since NIL? absolutely.

But Texas was ranked #3 per 24/7 as recently as 2019. You only ever hear a few say "the reason I'm coming here is to play in the SEC."

Thread Information