The remaining prizes in College Football realignment are:
    Notre Dame
    USC
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Miami
    Washington
    Oregon

The other teams with a good shot of making it based upon revenue capacity are:
    Virginia
    North Carolina
    Louisville
    Utah

Everyone else is probably ed. Yes, that includes formerly big-time programs like Pitt, Virginia Tech, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Colorado, and Stanford. Schools like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Rutgers, and Indiana just have to hope they get grandfathered in as members of the only two conferences that survive. The new reality is that Alabama’s starting QB makes $1 million a year in NIL money. NFL Junior is already here. The teams that can’t keep up money-wise will all end up as mid-majors.
    I mean if it's true that not even a Stanford, Colorado, or UCLA is safe in the next college football re-alignment, then what's the point of discussing any other of the 'lower' teams.

I for one am pumped that at here in Texas we will get to see our flagship school play in the super-league, and perhaps even be the best program with all that money that flows through Austin.
    I'm from Austin but never liked Texas at any point, stemming from my first exposure to them being that 46-3 drubbing by Miami in 1991, and secondly the league they played in.

I could not get excited as a t-shirt fan about Texas going up against Kansas's and Iowa's and OK St teams.
    Now Texas will be playing all the big dogs every week. It's an accomplishment to get any win in both this new 16 team SEC league and its successor super-conference.

We just got to accept it and find our team to root for among the 30-40 chosen teams.

Actually, SEC has been recruiting Texas for years. Texas going to the SEC will have ALOT of top rated recruits wanting to stay home and play there.
    On the one hand, Texas and A&M both benefit from all the other Texas schools getting wiped out. As do OU, Arkansas, and Missouri.

On the other hand, any school that wants to compete at the top level has to be able to recruit nationally. Also, the kind of provincial inflation of recruiting rankings that always has plagued Texas high school recruiting since forever ago will do absolutely zero good in this new reality, other than set unrealistic expectations.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Their TV deal is up in 2023, and who knows what kind of leftover deal they will get after ESPN and FOX throw a ton of money at the SEC/B1G. I'd agree with ES here.
    If the B1G were to suddenly poach the PAC and take USC and Oregon than yeah, they're ed but i think the B1G would much rather poach the ACC.

Not a lot of good options currently for the PAC to expand but they're not currently struggling either.

Wouldn't surprise me though if someday we just see two huge SEC/B1G super conferences with 32 teams each in them that completely ditch the NCAA and make their own rules.

If the B1G were to suddenly poach the PAC and take USC and Oregon than yeah, they're ed but i think the B1G would much rather poach the ACC.

Not a lot of good options currently for the PAC to expand but they're not currently struggling either.

Wouldn't surprise me though if someday we just see two huge SEC/B1G super conferences with 32 teams each in them that completely ditch the NCAA and make their own rules.
    Poaching the ACC is more complicated because the TV deal with ESPN lasts until 2036, they have GoR in the bylaws, and they have a hefty exit fee. The ACC also has an alliance with ND whereby if ND chooses to join a conference before 2036, it must be the ACC.

I agree that the ACC long-term is disadvantaged relative to the SEC and B1G, and I doubt it lasts until 2036. The issue with the PAC-12 is that things come to a head much sooner on account of the expiring TV deal. They can spout rhetoric about how consolidation elsewhere makes them more valuable all they want, but they cannot make such rhetoric make any sense. The brands are worth what their schools make them worth. The collapse of the Big 12 doesn’t make the National audience any more interested in Cal versus Oregon State. Publicly, of course they are going to say everything is great. But publicly, Texas and OU were “committed” to the Big 12 all while reaching out to the SEC.

The biggest thing the PAC-12 has going for it is its geographic isolation. If USC, Washington and Oregon decide they’d rather accept a permanent financial disadvantage against SEC/B1G than travel back and forth to the Great Lakes all the time, then maybe the PAC-12 can survive. I doubt they would decide that, though.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    14-0 vote for the Fighting Texas Longhorns.

Alabama would be a fitting first SEC game for Orange Nation.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    USC Trojans
    Post Count
    How dead is this place that tu going to the sec doesn't even get a second page

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    How dead is this place that tu going to the sec doesn't even get a second page
    Mostly all the posts on this are in the recruiting thread

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    The remnants...

"Report: Big 12, Pac-12 Commissioners to Discuss Potential Merger"

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/0...edule-alliance

I can totally see USC and Oregon bolting for the big ten if this happens

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    14-0 vote for the Fighting Texas Longhorns.

Alabama would be a fitting first SEC game for Orange Nation.
    Well we already have Alabama scheduled in 2023 third game anyway made with the Big 12.
    Then they come to Austin next year. So... Its not like we were running from them.
    We also rescheduled Ohio ST. and Michigan for later so thats looks gone.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Gonna end up with a 30 team super conference when this is all said and done which will practically be a minor league NFL with the rest of the schools playing for their own championship.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Well we already have Alabama scheduled in 2023 third game anyway made with the Big 12.
    Then they come to Austin next year. So... Its not like we were running from them.
    We also rescheduled Ohio ST. and Michigan for later so thats looks gone.
    I wasn't intimating anything other than Alabama is the only SEC team whose glitz and glamour matches that of Texas football.
    Those two along with Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Southern California, I think, are the nationally known teams among casuals.

But that's interesting the 2023 game may actually turn out to be UT first SEC game if the B12 plays hardball.

Post Count
    Sounds like it may be Florida State that is now begging to join the SEC.

Look at this though...
    During a board of trustees meeting in August, Florida State president Richard McCullough made it clear the school would "very seriously" consider leaving the league if things did not change.

Any ACC school that wants to leave the conference would have to challenge the grant of rights to be able to get out before joining another league. The grant of rights, which runs through 2036, gives the ACC control over media rights for its member schools -- including the broadcast of games in all sports.

In addition, any school that wants to leave the ACC would have to pay an exit fee of three times the league's operating budget, or roughly $120 million.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...owing-cfp-snub

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Wow there was a lot of wrong in this thread.

Frostking being champ.

But who knows in the coming years.
    Still looks fluid.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

This whole post is awful . The PAC is just fine.
    this aged well

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    FSU & Clemson are ideal adds. Miami I'd invite but they might prefer the package the BIG10 offers. Big want a foot in the Florida market.

Yah I remember when ACC added Miami/Vtech and looked brighter than SEC. Saban got the ball rolling by defeating the Sooners & Jason White. Those were the split le days. USC played in the Rose Bowl. Then Les Miles took over at LSU.

I remember the ' Game of the Century' Adrian Peterson & the Sooners vs Trojans at the Orange Bowl. SC traveled East very rare and put on a absolute butt kicking.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    FSU & Clemson are ideal adds. Miami I'd invite but they might prefer the package the BIG10 offers. Big want a foot in the Florida market.

Yah I remember when ACC added Miami/Vtech and looked brighter than SEC. Saban got the ball rolling by defeating the Sooners & Jason White. Those were the split le days. USC played in the Rose Bowl. Then Les Miles took over at LSU.

I remember the ' Game of the Century' Adrian Peterson & the Sooners vs Trojans at the Orange Bowl. SC traveled East very rare and put on a absolute butt kicking.
    I think the SEC could handle 3 Florida teams. I dont know Miami's financial situation. But the state of Texas as it stand will basically have 3 teams in the SEC. UT, ATM, and Oklahoma.
    Problem is those ACC long ass contracts with media rights for Fl. St.

BTW it is the first National signing day. So after work yous guys might want to come home and check out if your team had any surprises.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    this aged well
    yeah he hit it and I completely whiffed on that one. I honestly never thought USC would leave the PAC. I mean, I'm still trying to figure out how they're in the same conference as Rutgers now.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Wow there was a lot of wrong in this thread.

Frostking being champ.

But who knows in the coming years.
    Still looks fluid.
    ExtraStout was the thread winner

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    sec told fsu & clemson no
    FrostKing poverty school has to play in the little12

despite Florida State football's storied past and present strength, FSU wouldn’t be a serious candidate for expansion. Same for Clemson even with its recent national les.The SEC is believed to be a less likely option…The league is set to begin as a 16-team operation next season existing in contiguous states. It is already powerful. It is already rich. It has now taken over large swaths of Texas.
    The SEC's goal is to play a level of football that appeals to a national audience. It also already has schools in Florida (the University of Florida) and South Carolina (the University of South Carolina).
    ‘My sense is there is more opposition than interest,’ one SEC source said.”

Post Count
    sec told fsu & clemson no
    FrostKing poverty school has to play in the little12

The Big XII makes no sense. It's not a power football conference after this year. So FSU is really going to pay an insane exit fee to the ACC only to join a conference with UCF as their new rival?

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    The Big XII makes no sense. It's not a power football conference after this year. So FSU is really going to pay an insane exit fee to the ACC only to join a conference with UCF as their new rival?
    pitt & other acc members would join.......

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Personally I don’t want the Big 12 destroyed.
    I hope it holds as a fertile ground for innovation.
    A lot of good coaches made a bunch of evolutionary jumps that have their place in the game.
    Doing more with less got UT to stop being so lazy and definitely humbled. ATM pretends they are way above this but if you gave them that Big 12 schedule back they would get beat just like they did before they left. UT did not have a cakewalk to the first championship in many years. Going to Aimes Iowa in the cold is just flat out tough. In a very different way than SEC games will be.

Hopefully the SEC chanting is reserved only for special people. No rooting for a conference for me. Respect, not allies. I also would like to keep the Tech game if possible. I know UT does not want anything to do with giving the Big 12 any kind of money, I wish we could make a deal outside of the conferences. OU, ATM, Arky, and Tech every year would be great. We had to take 3 total boredom games the first year and only 8 conf opponents. Do better SEC. Fair and better.

edit: SEC did not give us the powderpuff game in the late season and then gave us OU and Georgia back to back. And they gave ATM some hope by giving them the softest SECschedule possible. Right now, We are their toughest game Imo. And a home game for them. I’m loving this. Bunch of my friends will have nervy Bs Thanksgiving week. This, I crave.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I think it the Big 12 wants Fla St and Clemson, they'll have to fork out the exit fee dough and give equal tv revenue immediately.

At best it would be a step sideways because these days it's the big 10, SEC, then everyone else. , those two conferences might break off from the NCAA and agree to form their own league.

Now if the ACC and big 12 were to join together.....
    Last edited by Blake; 12-22-2023 at 10:09 AM.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    fsu suing acc..........

The Florida State board of trustees voted unanimously Friday to file suit against the ACC to challenge the legality of both the league's grant of rights and $130 million withdrawal fee, a necessary first step to plot its future and potential exit from the conference.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    fsu suing acc..........
    Aww they don't want to play SMU?

Thread Information