Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/ten-player...021-nba-draft/

Tried to not write a novel but failed, tbh

Difficult to balance availability, San Antonio's historical preferences, short-term and long-term fit, and character-related intangibles ... but I feel okay with the order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give me the young Sengun. I know that nobody posts up anymore but it doesn’t hurt us at all to have a player that can. Would be nice to have a center who can put the ball in the hoop himself instead of just being spoon fed and ignored the whole time. He is also good at rolling to the basket and he seems to be a rim runner as well and just doing those 2 things will get him easy buckets. We need that type of player.

Defensively, we weren’t gonna rely on a rookie anyways and he can learn to slide his feet after adjusting to the speed of the nba. You can adjust a scheme to a big man who is bad defensively (somewhat) but what you can’t do is adjust an offensive scheme to a player who can’t make a basket unless he is a foot away from it. Cough cough Poetlt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’d be cool if Kai Jones or Kuminga gets down to 12 and the Spurs want to swing for the fences

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun is a better athlete than some admit. He does need to improve lateral mobility and his size may prevent him from guarding Embiid and Jokic. These are real concerns, but imo overblown. He's a smart player and that accounts for a lot. He has good steal and block rates, too.

A nice thing about his game is he doesn't really pound the crap out of the ball in the post. He's not an Aldridge or Barkley, where they risk five second calls; Sengun seems to get into his moves quickly. Plus he can get into posts and semi-posts from pick and rolls, meaning a switch can cause lots of problems for the defense. He also generates a lot of fouls, further pressuring the defense. And hits at a very high rate -- I don't doubt he can become a good outside shooter.

He's a strange case, but isn't a plodding Mark Eaton giant. He's a finesse post player who is slithery and has a great motor. A lot of his putbacks and offensive boards come from smarts and sheer effort. Big question about how he fits in the team, but he's not a guy who will clog up the middle. He's too mobile for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll always remember the first time I started looking at videos of Sengun's play-- it just happened to be after I'd watched a couple of games where I paid extra attention to Lonnie Walker, and the contrast was amazing. Keying on Walker, I couldn't help notice that he usually does nothing when a shot goes up. He's a ball watcher to the extreme. Sengun is the exact opposite. The second a shot is up, Sengun is either sidestepping his defender, or putting a body on him. He's never passive on the offensive or defensive end, always maneuvering for an advantage, and always in attack mode to the extreme.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 07-28-2021 at 09:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given how highly plugged in OP is to the Spurs, the fact that Jalen Johnson, despite what the national media think, isn't on this list is telling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's boom or bust.

No safe picks. That bodes well for the Spurs as they know how to recognize and develop the player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for this write-up. I agree that Corey Kispert if available will be a difficult proposition to ignore as he fits a need immediately. But if it's between him and Sengun, I will lean Sengun. The Spurs will be incredibly lucky if both of them are available at 12 though, methinks. Among the others, the only one that is realistically possible to get and intrigues me the most is Moses Moody. One of these three and the Spurs will have an efficient draft.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given how highly plugged in OP is to the Spurs, the fact that Jalen Johnson, despite what the national media think, isn't on this list is telling.
    Timvp is a paid Spurs informant? Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for this write-up. I agree that Corey Kispert if available will be a difficult proposition to ignore as he fits a need immediately. But if it's between him and Sengun, I will lean Sengun. The Spurs will be incredibly lucky if both of them are available at 12 though, methinks. Among the others, the only one that is realistically possible to get and intrigues me the most is Moses Moody. One of these three and the Spurs will have an efficient draft.
    I think Moody and Sengun drop a little bit thanks t others rising, but Kispert will probably be there at 12. It will be a hard choice for the spurs with those 3 available. Focus Pop & RC focus. Make a good choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a big fan of Jalen but timvp literally says in the article that the Spurs are tightlipped as ever this year and the list is his opinion, no inside sources.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see one of these 5 being drafted:

Kispert
    Garuba
    Giddy
    Sengun
    Kai jones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see one of these 5 being drafted:

Kispert
    Garuba
    Giddy
    Sengun
    Kai jones

my top 5 likeliest (meaning looking through Spurs’ lens, and not my own:

1. Wagner
    2. Duarte
    3. Giddey
    4. Sengun
    5. Mitc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the 12th pick in the NBA draft, the Spurs select....Jim Dunban.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my top 5 likeliest (meaning looking through Spurs’ lens, and not my own:

1. Wagner
    2. Duarte
    3. Giddey
    4. Sengun
    5. Mitc
    When you're looking through that 'lens' are you doing it from the perspective of what we might do on the FA or S&T markets? For instance, if we do the DeRozan deal with Washington for Bertans and Deni does that impact what you see or is it strictly a BPA thing?

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1 - Sengun
    2 - Duarte
    3 - Butler (wishful thinking)
    4 - Kispert
    5 - Jones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you're looking through that 'lens' are you doing it from the perspective of what we might do on the FA or S&T markets? For instance, if we do the DeRozan deal with Washington for Bertans and Deni does that impact what you see or is it strictly a BPA thing?
    strictly through a historical Spurs perspective and what they say they look for in prospects

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write-up Timvp. You were gone too long, and you give us Kispert as your no. 1 choice? But knowing how PATFO disappoints me every year with their selection, and fairly wins me back over as the season progresses, I will take your word for it. Kispert might just be the boring prospect the PATFO will get the ST ing about for days after the draft. But as you mentioned, he is tailored-fit for the Spurs looking for shooters. I’d prefer Duarte myself as a more finished product, and has that international culture to be a Spur favorite. I’d jump the gun and pick Duarte at 12, but hopefully before then PATFO have made a S&T deal for Demar to get another pick. But I will priorities Duarte, because he is a positional need right now. If PATFO could get a Collins in FA, then Spurs would be balling.

If Kuminga would fall to 12, heck I’d jump on him too for his Star potential. But why when you give him slacks for his age for having lackluster at ude, why doesn’t Jalen Johnson get the same pass? He was also 18 and could also be immaturity. They both have the same Star potential imo.

My top 5 at pick 12, Duarte, Jalen Johnson, Moody, Sengun, Wagner

Note: Moody and Jalen big hands. Nothing wrong with thinking about great players with big hands.
    Last edited by John B; 07-28-2021 at 09:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like Kai Jones has bust potential, but he also may stick somewhere. However, he will be really bad to start. He will probably be sent to the Gleague and depending on how quickly he progresses may be there longer than expected. He is right around that category of guys that are drafted on physical tools and look a couple of years away from being a couple of years away... I like my gambles, but frankly not the ones that look to be years away. His improvement from one season to the next though may indicate he simply is still learning to play, and will imrpove yet, so if the Spurs pick him, I'll look at the sunny side.

Safer picks are Kispert, and Duarte.

If I am reaching for the sky, I am gambling on Sengun or Giddey because I tend to think the opposite of Timvp in the sense that I think its a mistake to assume guys who know how to play basketball and who have high basketball IQ won't figure things out. Now the upside may be limited unless you are a Jokic, but I'd bet these guys will figure it out. Of the two, Giddey has the most bust potential to me. If he doesn't learn how to shoot I don't see how he sticks in the league, but he is so young that the gamble may pay off.

The high risk gambles are the physical phenoms that don't have BBIQ and that you hope at some point in the next 4 years a light suddenly goes on and they figure things out. Some guys do obviously, but it's difficult to tell who and that is where age at least helps. If the guy is really young chances are he is still developing and will improve with experience. If he's older, well maybe you leave that guy for the second round. Kai is right around the edge at 20.

I saw an article that mentioned the same with Kuminga, who is a prospect whose real age is impossible to know. The reason age matters this early is that when evaluating a prospect if he is still 18 you expect a prospect to still somewhat raw, somewhat undersized, somewhat needing to add strength, needing some refinement and improvement. He's at that point still a teenager. He will get better undoubtedly. Now if that guy is older, the potential for improvement decreases, since when he's 20 or 21 you assume that guy is done growing, has had a few years to fill his frame and add refinement. You'd assume the older the player has already been improving for a longer period of time and at some point in his mid 20s will reach a ceiling. An older prospect is going to be closer to his ceiling. If Kuminga is older than advertised he's probably not going to be as good as projected for example, but the rumors are that he doesn't fall to the Spurs anyway.

Thanks for the novel Timvp, it was a fun read, with a joke here or there to keep it interesting.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Kai Jones, let's keep in mind he's not your typical 20 years old guy, as he started playing bb at age 15, so I think there is major room for improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I think about the prospects, although it makes sense for the spurs to draft a big wing or a big man, I really hope they draft the best player available regardless of position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a hunch but if the Spurs draft Kai Jones, he may not be the long-term Austin project we all are assuming.

The initial training he receives will likely be from Pop and potentially Duncan -- Duncan is an island guy like Kai and came to basketball relatively late, like Kai. He could be a mentor in all senses of the word.

In addition, Austin doesn't seem like the kind of place where big men go to learn the game, more like wings and potential playmakers. While Kai might play some games in Austin, he might also be on the floor with the big team fairly early on, perhaps earlier than we think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a hunch but if the Spurs draft Kai Jones, he may not be the long-term Austin project we all are assuming.

The initial training he receives will likely be from Pop and potentially Duncan -- Duncan is an island guy like Kai and came to basketball relatively late, like Kai. He could be a mentor in all senses of the word.

In addition, Austin doesn't seem like the kind of place where big men go to learn the game, more like wings and potential playmakers. While Kai might play some games in Austin, he might also be on the floor with the big team fairly early on, perhaps earlier than we think.
    this “initial training” hasn’t worked for past bigs: Aldridge, Eubanks, Poeltl, Luka. Stop overestimating the Spurs development team to work miracles with raw guys like Kai.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this “initial training” hasn’t worked for past bigs: Aldridge, Eubanks, Poeltl, Luka. Stop overestimating the Spurs development team to work miracles with raw guys like Kai.
    After all their years in the league, I don't think Aldridge or Poeltl got any "initial training" from the Spurs.

The point is, Kai would be someone the Spurs could mold into a player (after coming to the game as late as he did) They wouldn't want him to learn any bad habits too far away from the SA facility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I think about the prospects, although it makes sense for the spurs to draft a big wing or a big man, I really hope they draft the best player available regardless of position
    Me too. Ultimately they need the best talent they can get.

Thread Information