Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of wishin and hopin and prayin about Kai Jones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/ten-player...021-nba-draft/

Tried to not write a novel but failed, tbh

Difficult to balance availability, San Antonio's historical preferences, short-term and long-term fit, and character-related intangibles ... but I feel okay with the order.

Thanks for the hard work here. Very helpful for a college ball casual like myself. I hope we swing for the fences this year; draft raw talent and throw him to the wolves for a whole season in a starting capacity. With that being said my hopes and expectations for PATFO to do anything interesting are so low these days that I think we should all anticipate risk averse drafting in the 10-15 spot for the foreseeable future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The analysis of Kispert sounds like the same stuff you'd say about Jimmer, who also came out as a senior after being told as a junior he'd be a 2nd round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That tattoo on Kispert's wrist is kinda funny: LTFF, Let That er Fly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this “initial training” hasn’t worked for past bigs: Aldridge, Eubanks, Poeltl, Luka. Stop overestimating the Spurs development team to work miracles with raw guys like Kai.
    You can add Davis Bertans to that list. I remember seeing photos of private coaching sessions that Timmy was giving him on post defense and positioning. I was super excited expecting him to show all that off but I think he’s still the same guy that he was when he came in when it comes to post defense, rebounding, etc.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...rom-tim-duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Kuminga in the next few years should be interesting. It seems like almost every scouting report I've read says the same thing: inefficient shooter, poor decision maker, horrible metrics, awkward on D, etc., but he has a "great NBA body" and if he "puts it all together" he can be a great player. When ever I hear the term "no brainer" I think of Obi Toppin from last year, as that term got tossed around a ton with regards to him. Turns out it was a yes brainer after all. It's always a yes brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can add Davis Bertans to that list. I remember seeing photos of private coaching sessions that Timmy was giving him on post defense and positioning. I was super excited expecting him to show all that off but I think he’s still the same guy that he was when he came in when it comes to post defense, rebounding, etc.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...rom-tim-duncan
    Thank you! This isn't magic. You're not going to imbue every player with dark arts of basketball arts just because you want to. Kai Jones isn't going to magically become a basketball player, isn't going to suddenly become Tim Duncan. He'll never be Tim Duncan. It's incredibly doubtful he'll be much of a basketball player at all.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The analysis of Kispert sounds like the same stuff you'd say about Jimmer, who also came out as a senior after being told as a junior he'd be a 2nd round pick.
    Wasn’t Jimmer much shorter? Kispert at least has decent height, a good vertical, and seems to be a jump shooter, not a set shooter. But yeah, drafting seniors who were on a team that got lots of media coverage does often inflate their ranking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously. You can’t teach feel for the game. And even if you could, it would take almost half a decade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn’t Jimmer much shorter? Kispert at least has decent height, a good vertical, and seems to be a jump shooter, not a set shooter. But yeah, drafting seniors who were on a team that got lots of media coverage does often inflate their ranking.
    Kispert is also much more athletic and stronger.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Initially picking Kispert seemed like a disaster. Now, compared to the prospect of rolling the dice with Ziaire or Kai, Kispert feels like a refreshing cool breeze.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously. You can’t teach feel for the game. And even if you could, it would take almost half a decade.
    So you could?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you TIMMVP! Your list is very reasonable - similar to mine. I have a feeling that Spurs either have a safe pick at Kispert or gamble on Kai Jones. Jones will be a good gamble. He's an intelligent and hard-working guy and will improve more quickly than most of us think. So, I would put Jones as #1, Kispert as #2. Also, I would also don't consider Jalen Johnson at all. I'm attracted to his talent and super star potential. But he doesn't behave or talk like a spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “even if you could”

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I think about the prospects, although it makes sense for the spurs to draft a big wing or a big man, I really hope they draft the best player available regardless of position
    I feel the opposite. I feel the spurs HAVE to draft a wing or a big even if their is a much better guard available. We already have to many guards. Any guard we draft, not matter how great a pick it is or how much upside he has or how good he shoots, is going to t compete with Dejounte, Derrick, Lonnie, Tre, and Devin (who i think will probably be a 3 or the "3rd" guard in a "3 guard lineup". Not to mention if Mills comes back or we sign a veteran guard in FA. Going to be almost impossible for that player to get on the floor, or if they do it will be at the expense of someone else not working out , like Lonnie, and then you are starting over from scratch with another young guard. Forward and Center are immediate areas of need, since the only ones we have either can't score like Poeltl, have marginal nba talent like Eubanks, or are still a complete enigma like Luka.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “even if you could”
    Why half a decade?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im looking at recent examples like Poetl and Murray and even White. Guys who are starting to look like they belong in the NBA.

half a decade =5
    almost half a decade =3-5 yrs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just as long as they don't select alfredrick hughes...

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If PATFO draft Kispert .....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Krispy would have to take a major step up.

Looks great when compe ion not great.

Vs NBA potential level compe ion defense he bricked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kispert and Moody both have that "Spurs with the 12th pick" vibe to me.

Nice write-up Timvp!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how Kispert could be 1 when Murphy III doesn't even make the top 10, which runs counter to the "Big Board" where they're ranked in the same tier.

If the former is a McDermott type and the latter a (Cam) Johnson type, it's probably wiser to go with the one whose unlikely to be a target for opposing defenses and is closer to a true combo forward/stretch four.

If they're going to go with an older, high floor role playing type though, might as well look into trading back with the Thunder or Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's tough to figure out the Spurs mindset here. One possibility is that they are looking for a replacement for DDR.
    Moody or Bouknight might be in play here.

My top 10 are:

Wagner
    Sengun
    Kispert
    Duarte
    Moody
    Mitc
    Giddey
    Jones
    Garuba
    Johnson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker IV is still on that quest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Initially picking Kispert seemed like a disaster. Now, compared to the prospect of rolling the dice with Ziaire or Kai, Kispert feels like a refreshing cool breeze.
    For sure. I think he’ll be a favorite eventually once fans see how the offense looks with a shooter like him.

I mean, I said elsewhere, I could eventually end up a big fan, he could change a lot of what they do on offense, provide a different dimension moving off screens and such.

Easily could end up being a favorite.

Thread Information