Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Was able to basically catch the entire game this morning, so I'll throw my thoughts out here.

Lillard - F
    Apparently Lillard forgot to switch Dame Time to Japanese Standard Time. 3/10 from the floor with pitiful defense, and that doesn't even explain how passively he played. Most of his shots were his patented 30-footers but those weren't finding bottom. Also, 3 assists to 4 turnovers, the last one coming on a crucial play where the US needed a bucket and instead he just slipped and fell over, then committed an intentional tripping foul which all but sealed the game for France. Not exactly a great start for the supposed "leader" of this squad.

Tatum - C-
    Like Lillard, Tatum couldn't find the range today and compounded it by forcing contested shots. If he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he doesn't seem to know what else to be doing on the floor. Aside from cold shooting, he only provided 1 rebound and 2 turnovers in 24 minutes of action.

Durant - C
    KD started off the game well, but then got into foul trouble early and never really recovered. As a result, he only played 21 minutes and tallied 10 points, most coming in the first half. He tried to shoot the US back into the game late by putting up long jumpers in the face of the defense, but too many of his shots were untrue.

Abedayo - B+
    One of the few bright spots for team USA, Bam put up 12 points on 8 attempts along with 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block. He was also one of the few guys playing like he gave a damn, chasing after loose balls and playing physical defense. However, he did miss two key free throws late in the game when France was staging its comeback.

Lavine - B-
    Lavine had a fairly average game...8 points on 6 shots with a few boards and dimes. Even though he didn't have a huge impact on the game, he was one of the few guys who seemed comfortable out there and stayed within the flow of the game. That said, he missed a wide-open three late in the game that could've brought the US back within striking distance.

Holiday - A-
    Jrue Holiday tried to be the hero this game, and he almost pulled it off. With the US struggling, he came in and put up 18 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists...most of it coming in the 4th quarter. He was also playing his usual hard-nosed defense and was the walking definition of a spark off the bench. The only knock to his game was that he also missed a wide-open corner three which could have finished off his heroic attempt, but it was not to be.

Booker - D
    Devin Booker came off the bench firing but was only able to hit the strings once in 6 shots. Otherwise, he dished out a couple assists and provided some lackluster defense against Fournier. Booker is one of the players I worry about in this roster. He believes he has star power and is used to putting up big numbers on sub-optimal shooting for Phoenix, but the USA can't afford to let him go for 30 points on 25 shots.

Johnson - C-
    KJ got some early minutes off the bench but wasn't able to provide the same spark he had in Vegas. He was hustling and playing physical defense, but didn't show his usual aggressiveness which seemed to bog down the offense. He missed his only shot and most damning is that he was a team worst -11 in just 9 minutes of play, so even his intangibles weren't working for him today.

Green - C-
    Draymond didn't do much to write home about. He tried to play his usual point-forward role and managed to dish out 4 assists despite the cold shooting around him. However, the former DPOY was getting manhandled by France's post players and also found himself in foul trouble late in the game.

Middleton - C
    Not sure if Khris Middleton is still coming off his championship hangover or what, but he didn't do much of note. Only played 5 minutes in the first half in which he missed both of shots and mustered up a rebound and assist. I'd give him a pass considering he just arrived with the team yesterday...but that didn't seem to slow down Jrue Holiday.

McGee - D
    Tragic Bronson only played 2 minutes in which he knocked down 2 free throws and showed he has no idea how to defend a high pick and roll. His entire purpose on this team is to guard the opposing big and protect the rim, yet he kept switching out to the perimeter on screens and losing cutters which led to wide-open attempts for Gobert and Co.

Grant - DNP
    Grant got a DNP - Coaches Decision which is odd because he actually was one of the sparks during Exhibitions before he got hit with COVID safety protocols. I assume he's healthy if he is with the team, but he didn't see the floor this game.

Pop - D
    Not exactly what you want to see for your first Olympic head coaching job. Pop went deep into his bench and was mixing-and-matching too much for my liking. He played 11/12 guys but never consistently enough to let them get into a rhythm...which worked okay in the first half, but then fell apart in the second. This was compounded by Durant being in foul trouble for most of the game. I know they only had 4 exhibition games to work out the kinks, but this isn't an All-Star game where everybody gets a turn to play.

He also put Holiday on the bench in the 4th when he was the only player on the floor getting things done, and France subsequently went on a 16-2 run that would win them the game. He tried to reinsert Holiday for the final minutes, but the damage was already done.

That said, I know everyone will be clamoring for an F here, but Pop can't be held responsible for Tatum, Durant, Lillard, and Booker shooting a combined 11/37 or the team defense as a whole letting Evan Fournier become Le Michael Jordan. He rightfully leaned on Bam, yanked McGee when it became apparent he was doing more harm than good, and trusted to put Durant back in with 4 fouls when the lead started to evaporate in the 4th.

Either way, Pop and the coaching staff needs to figure something out and fast. At this point, the U.S. cannot afford another loss if they want to get to the podium, and it's become glaringly apparent that they aren't winning this thing on talent alone.
    Last edited by Dex; 07-25-2021 at 11:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Grant was a head scratcher and if Jrue doesn’t start the rest of the way Pop must want to lose.

Guys have to accept lesser roles and it’s on the coach to implement that philosophy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop benching the hot player which let's the other team go on a run? Pop would never do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Was able to basically catch the entire game this morning, so I'll throw my thoughts out here.

Lillard - F
    Apparently Lillard forgot to switch Dame Time to Japanese Standard Time. 3/10 from the floor with pitiful defense, and that doesn't even explain how passively he played. Most of his shots were his patented 30-footers but those weren't finding bottom. Also, 3 assists to 4 turnovers, the last one coming on a crucial play where the US needed a bucket and instead he just slipped and fell over, then committed an intentional tripping foul which all but sealed the game for France. Not exactly a great start for the supposed "leader" of this squad.

Tatum - C-
    Like Lillard, Tatum couldn't find the range today and compounded it by forcing contested shots. If he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he doesn't seem to know what else to be doing on the floor. Aside from cold shooting, he only provided 1 rebound and 2 turnovers in 24 minutes of action.

Durant - C
    KD started off the game well, but then got into foul trouble early and never really recovered. As a result, he only played 21 minutes and tallied 10 points, most coming in the first half. He tried to shoot the US back into the game late by putting up long jumpers in the face of the defense, but too many of his shots were untrue.

Abedayo - B+
    One of the few bright spots for team USA, Bam put up 12 points on 8 attempts along with 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block. He was also one of the few guys out their playing like he gave a damn, chasing after loose balls and playing physical defense. However, he did miss two key free throws late in the game when France was staging its comeback.

Lavine - B-
    Lavine had a fairly average game...8 points on 6 shots with a few boards and dimes. Even though he didn't have a huge impact on the game, he was one of the few guys who seemed comfortable out there and stayed within the flow of the game. That said, he missed a wide-open three late in the game that could've brought the US back within striking distance.

Holiday - A-
    Jrue Holiday tried to be the hero this game, and he almost pulled it off. With the US struggling, he came in and put up 18 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists...most of it coming in the 4th quarter. He was also playing his usual hard-nosed defense and was the walking definition of a spark off the bench. The only knock to his game was that he also missed a wide-open corner three which could have finished off his heroic attempt, but it was not to be.

Booker - D
    Devin Booker came off the bench firing but was only able to hit the strings once in 6 shots. Otherwise, he dished out a couple assists and provided some lackluster defense against Fournier. Booker is one of the players I worry about in this roster. He believes he has star power and is used to putting up big numbers on sub-optimal shooting for Phoenix, but the USA can't afford to let him go for 30 points on 25 shots.

Johnson - C-
    KJ got some early minutes off the bench but wasn't able to provide the same spark he had in Vegas. He was hustling and playing physical defense, but didn't show his usual aggressiveness which seemed to bog down the offense. He missed his only shot and most damning is that he was a team worst -11 in just 9 minutes of play, so even his intangibles weren't working for him today.

Green - C-
    Draymond didn't do much to write home about. He tried to play his usual point-forward role and managed to dish out 4 assists despite the cold shooting around him. However, the former DPOY was getting manhandled by France's post players and also found himself in foul trouble late in the game.

Middleton - C
    Not sure if Khris Middleton is still coming off his championship hangover or what, but he didn't do much of note. Only played 5 minutes in the first half in which he missed both of shots and mustered up a rebound and assist. I'd give him a pass considering he just arrived with the team yesterday...but that didn't seem to slow down Jrue Holiday.

McGee - D
    Tragic Bronson only played 2 minutes in which he knocked down 2 free throws and showed he has no idea how to defend a high pick and roll. His entire purpose on this team is to guard the opposing big and protect the rim, yet he kept switching out to the perimeter on screens and losing cutters which led to wide-open attempts for Gobert and Co.

Grant - DNP
    Grant got a DNP - Coaches Decision which is odd because he actually was one of the sparks during Exhibitions before he got hit with COVID safety protocols. I assume he's healthy if he is with the team, but he didn't see the floor this game.

Pop - D
    Not exactly what you want to see for your first Olympic head coaching job. Pop went deep into his bench and was mixing-and-matching too much for my liking. He played 11/12 guys but never consistently enough to let them get into a rhythm...which worked okay in the first half, but then fell apart in the second. This was compounded by Durant being in foul trouble for most of the game. I know they only had 4 exhibition games to work out the kinks, but this isn't an All-Star game where everybody gets a turn to play.

He also put Holiday on the bench in the 4th when he was the only player on the floor getting things done, and France subsequently went on a 16-2 run that would win them the game. He tried to reinsert Holiday for the final minutes, but the damage was already done.

That said, I know everyone will be clamoring for an F here, but Pop can't be held responsible for Tatum, Durant, Lillard, and Booker shooting a combined 11/37 or the team defense as a whole letting Evan Fournier become Le Michael Jordan. He rightfully leaned on Bam, yanked McGee when it became apparent he was doing more harm than good, and trusted to put Durant back in with 4 fouls when the lead started to evaporate in the 4th.

Either way, Pop and the coaching staff needs to figure something out and fast. At this point, the U.S. cannot afford another loss if they want to get to the podium, and it's become glaringly apparent that they aren't winning this thing on talent alone.
    Thanks for this writeup. I missed the game, but this gave me a glimpse of our troubles. USA needs to bounce back pronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gregg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Pop can't be held responsible here..." has been the mantra of this sinking ship of an organization for the last few years tbh.

That gee golly we played a great team schtick might play in po-dunk San Antonio but the world is now seeing how senile this bum has become....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Pop can't be held responsible here..." has been the mantra of this sinking ship of an organization for the last few years tbh.

That gee golly we played a great team schtick might play in po-dunk San Antonio but the world is now seeing how senile this bum has become....
    I feel like I was fairly critical on Pop, aside from just giving him a flat out F- and saying he should be fired and sent to Siberia.

This loss isn't completely on him. Players on the floor need to perform, period.

We aren't going to win many games if a team full of All-Stars shoots 36% and are missing wide open looks. What the else do you want Pop to draw up in that case?

Maybe Lillard should pull his head out of his ass and start acting like a leader and Durant should learn that shoving guys in the back is, indeed, a foul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like I was fairly critical on Pop, aside from just giving him a flat out F- and saying he should be fired and sent to Siberia.

This loss isn't completely on him. Players on the floor need to perform, period.

We aren't going to win many games if a team full of All-Stars shoots 36% and are missing wide open looks. What the else do you want Pop to draw up in that case?

Maybe Lillard should pull his head out of his ass and start acting like a leader and Durant should learn that shoving guys in the back is, indeed, a foul.
    This game doesn't really matter much tbh or tells us anything we don't already know about Jerry Sloan 2.0 (at least to any Spurs fan that has watched the team since Duncan left)

I'm sure any passion the players had for playing their country was immediately zapped as soon as Gregg started with his "it's just basketball" or chortling other countries' bball program schtick.....just a defeatist/loser at ude from a s of a man who has lost any type of compe ive drive for several years now.....

Also, I wouldn't do that to Siberia. The old man belongs deep in the heart of Tex-ass.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lillard-Lavine-Booker-Tatum lineups are about the same as Patty-Bryn-Marco-Rudy.

Different personnel, same matador defense with awful ball movement on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll put this as a kick in the jaw, and move from there. I certainly hope Team USA learned their lesson from this embarrassment and not sleep on anybody, because every compe ion is gunning Team USA. Go USA Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lillard is playing this like an ASG. I’d consider benching him TBH. He looks like sh!t out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys have gotten so used to NBA rules they can’t play real basketball anymore.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't play any minutes. Not his fault if the "superstars" the bed against role players in the NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't know how to manage egos. Never did, which is why he traded Rodman for scraps to the Bulls(where PJax maximized his effectiveness). Pop is the luckiest coach of all-time in that he had a all-time great player in Tim who had no ego. TD allowed Pop to take shortcuts in his coaching career where he was able to ignore the managing-egos part of his job. Any time he actually did have to deal with a personality, he delegated that responsibility to his assistants (Mike Brown handling SJax). Pop struggled with coaching Kawhi, struggled with LMA(asked to be traded two years into his Spurs career), had to use kid gloves when coaching DeMar. Without TD's leadership and selflessness, Pop is just another Jerry Sloan

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach K taking a steaming hot dump all over Pop.

Imagine if Spurs fired Pop in '99 for him. Might have repeated and probably won more than five les.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had the game in the bag and gave up a 16-2 run to end the game

Also it's telling that Pop has given up drawing up plays in crunch time. Doesn't want to look like the senile dumbass he is on National TV

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a C, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach K taking a steaming hot dump all over Pop.

Imagine if Spurs fired Pop in '99 for him. Might have repeated and probably won more than five les.
    Coach K had the benefit of coaching the most talented USA teams since '92 & '96, so I wouldn't make stupid assumptions about what he'd do in the NBA.

And he is just as much a "senile, delusional, old ego maniac" like Popovich is accused of being.

Coach K, who stuck around too long to selfishly (IMO) coach the last super talented USA, would be struggling just as much with this group.

And with Lillard playing like this is NBA 2K jacking up terrible shots.

Everyone needs to do a lot better job to even get to the medal round at this point, IMO.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still just in shock that Pop thought he could plug them into the Spurs system and roll the ball out. Guys take all season to figure it out when they get here, and he thinks he can get everyone to learn it in a week? What a fool.

Also, he's running rotations like it's the All-Star game. Dude, pick your best guys and give them some run and a chance to gel a bit. eh, who am I kidding? We all know who he is at this point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still just in shock that Pop thought he could plug them into the Spurs system and roll the ball out. Guys take all season to figure it out when they get here, and he thinks he can get everyone to learn it in a week? What a fool.

Also, he's running rotations like it's the All-Star game. Dude, pick your best guys and give them some run and a chance to gel a bit. eh, who am I kidding? We all know who he is at this point.
    Come on, he is running basic sets with basic movements. Should they run the "I got he ball so I shoot it offense?' The game I watched the French big men caused some missed layups with Holliday one of few that remained aggressive. Durant in foul trouble and many missed shots in general . I don't always agree with Pop but the players lost that game. Holliday should play till he drops.
    Last edited by rogcl1; 07-25-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They said they lost because they are running San Antonio’s offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team clearly missing team leader DeRozan, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they also running our defense?

RIP

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game doesn't really matter much tbh or tells us anything we don't already know about Jerry Sloan 2.0 (at least to any Spurs fan that has watched the team since Duncan left)

I'm sure any passion the players had for playing their country was immediately zapped as soon as Gregg started with his "it's just basketball" or chortling other countries' bball program schtick.....just a defeatist/loser at ude from a s of a man who has lost any type of compe ive drive for several years now.....

Also, I wouldn't do that to Siberia. The old man belongs deep in the heart of Tex-ass.

Thread Information