Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs get the number 1 pick next year, they'll draft someone in the 10-15 range. "That's our guy. Nice personality."
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my main concern with Primo is that he's slow footed and unathletic. Reminds me of a certain guy with a big head that used to play here. I get that he's 18, but so is Sengun and he was MVP in the turkish league. Spurs are trying to takeover the Timberwolves as dumbest FO in the league I guess
    As much as the board made fun of him Big head has had a much better career than primo will have imo.

We’ll have to wait until after the free agency period to take the award from the twolves but I think it will be a close call. Which really sucks for spurs fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my main concern with Primo is that he's slow footed and unathletic. Reminds me of a certain guy with a big head that used to play here. I get that he's 18, but so is Sengun and he was MVP in the turkish league. Spurs are trying to takeover the Timberwolves as dumbest FO in the league I guess
    He does look oddly unathletic on tape, but I think that's just his thing. He is athletic, not elite, but a good athlete. Which is weird because he looks the opposite of explosive in half the highlights ive seen.. I definitely don't got a read on it yet.

I'm hoping that slow movement is more of a cp3 harden type pace of just breaking people down and using leverage. Kid is seriously game smart. Was impressed with a couple of his tape interviews.

That pace he has bothers me tho. I need to see him against NBA players to be able to tell if it's a legit concern or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he’s very skilled for his age. But that slow first step is a concern especially for a guard. A Harden-esque game would suit him. Definitely needs to add muscle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will probably never draft a white again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the Spurs played it safe last year with more of a sure thing. This year they took a big swing at potential, I hope it works out. Just not feeling this kid…but gotta give it two years to really see what he can be.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaken by the pick of Primo? I'm still stunned by the pick but, big picture, it's not a huge deal. Yeah, they probably could have traded down and added an asset but if he was the player they really wanted, then just picking him isn't something that will shake my faith in their drafting ability. We'll see if we get any info about how high he was on the board, if they considered trading back, etc.

What the Spurs do in free agency could shake my faith, though. I was never on the "trade DeRozan and Aldridge for something, anything " bandwagon but they need to be smart this summer. This is definitely a summer where things can go off the rails and cause me to completely lose faith.

What other bandwagon was there to be on when it came to Derozan and Aldridge ? Now both are about to be gone and we got nothing for them, while they also provided nothing for us but 1st round canon fodder tbh...

Spurs have always had this problem of getting rid of a player 3 years after they should have gotten rid of him.
    Ask me again in a week, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there was any doubt that Walker IV's days were numbered, this ended it (not that Primo has any chance of being a rotation player for 1 and probably 2 seasons).

Unfortunately, they're so clueless that instead of cashing him in for whatever he can fetch like the Pacers did Holiday or packaging him in a trade they won't make because they're perpetually constipated, they'll let him walk in free agency next off season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there was any doubt that Walker IV's days were numbered, this ended it (not that Primo has any chance of being a rotation player for 1 and probably 2 seasons).

Unfortunately, they're so clueless that instead of cashing him in for whatever he can fetch like the Pacers did Holiday or packaging him in a trade they won't make because they're perpetually constipated, they'll let him walk in free agency next off season.
    I think that's the opposite, having Primo who will play mostly on G league will give Walker at least the same role as last year and if the season goes well, the plan can change.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's the opposite, having Primo who will play mostly on G league will give Walker at least the same role as last year and if the season goes well, the plan can change.
    Right, but he'd have to make a quantum leap, which I no longer believe he's capable of and I don't believe the organization does either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Holiday is much worse than Walker, but with the Spurs front office I'm not expecting anything back.

Probably will pull the qualifying offer so Lonnie can go wherever.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have drafted him with their 2nd round pick if they wanted him and taken a better prospect with their first.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woj just reported, that the Pacers where highly interested in Primo with the 13th pick, so we had to take him there.

J/k, even Woj never heard of this kid.
    Pacers played the Spurs into a reach pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pacers played the Spurs into a reach pick.
    I don't think so. I legitimately think the Pacers were gunning for him there.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so. I legitimately think the Pacers were gunning for him there.
    Why do you think that?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs drafted a three year project at 12 and passed NBA ready players.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure - Ive said it’s not like SA is in dire spot; it’s just frustrating because they leave so much meat on the proverbial bone and have no direction or creativity.

Dallas traded their pick for Luka. And while it was the other teams own picks, they allowed themselves to get them vs being stubborn and lying to themselves and delaying the inevitable despite having every opportunity SA had to lie to themselves too.

But this is a results business and in any way imaginable SA FO has put SA at the bottom of their division while supposedly having a “goal” and making moves to win. They failed at winning and failed at rebuilding too so far.
    I knew when Duncan retired the front office would be exposed as not being all that great. Way too conservative and fearful to pull the trigger on trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, the thing about Woj saying the Pacers wanted him was a joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you think that?
    apparently jalen rose thought it was the pacers pick and not spurs. Therefore the pacers must have wanted primo at13

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moses Moody was the better pick at 12

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apparently jalen rose thought it was the pacers pick and not spurs. Therefore the pacers must have wanted primo at13
    Interesting. I just wish I could have more faith. The office loved Samanic enough to reach for him too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, the thing about Woj saying the Pacers wanted him was a joke.
    Yeah, people falling for it is pretty funny

Even if it was true, Kevin Pritchard has been pretty bad the past few years, if he wanted Primo that's enough reason to pass. Aaron Holiday, TJ Leaf ... Come on

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting analysis that helps one take a few steps away from the cliff:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021/...-atlanta-hawks

What struck me is that he played almost completely off the ball this season. I think GMs like that he had some production while being the 5th option, and when combined with his genial personality, they feel content with a player like him. I suppose what I'm wondering or suggesting is that GMs like him for his potential for upside but his low potential for drama and the fact that he will come into the league already used to having to be a role player. If true, it's sort of a convoluted way to get on board with Primo, and maybe this is only my speculation, very likely is just that, but the fact that GMs seem to get warm fuzzies around him and people constantly talk about character as a positive attribute with him makes me think that GMs need players who will not be headaches and get them fired.

Now the irony is that we completely reached for him, even with a positive outlook on his future, but perhaps he is a player the FO can feel content with in regards to the intangibles of team building. And so, maybe the Spurs FO does privately acknowledge that we will suck next year and have a higher pick and an actual chance for a more sure thing, and so they drafted a role player this year even though we all were looking for a star.

Of course wild speculation, but what else can one do to pierce the veil of secrecy of the FO. It's like living in East Berlin in the 1960s. Whispers, rumors, conspiracies. Just all speculation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've just watched a couple of interviews. I'll say this, and I hate when people say this about black people, but he sounds highly intelligent. Not just a chill guy, but high IQ.

Also, spotting up or off a dribble, his 3-ball comes out quick.

Bad side: he's not an athlete.
    Last edited by tim_duncan_fan; 07-30-2021 at 08:58 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the lowest. And the grade would’ve been lower had it not been the Spurs, with our history of selecting good players.

I mean Avery summed it up. It’s a “long-term play for the Spurs with plenty of guys ahead of him in the line.” He’s a project basically. But nobody does a project with the 12th pick. I mean the kid is great if we were selecting at 26th. But there’s the rationale that teams are not trading up to 10-20, and see more value at 20-30 picks.

Still, to pick another Guards when there is a positional need for a 4-5 who can facilitate. Sengun and my favorite Jalen Johnson. Now, I have to expect that there’s a play for Collins or Simmons (hopefully and not just Lauri) as part of the building blocks. PATFO better wow me with their next moves. Our selections could be solid spacers who can depend, very athletic, now they need to bring a big man and I would grade this off-season higher.
    1. I agree that it's not very good to do project picks in the top fourteen. Spurs should've traded down to wherever and still likely gotten this guy along with some flexibility or added value in the short and long term.

2. I can at least see the rationale of picking this guy; him growing into his body and progressing and what not; but it's looking like a shaky pick on top of it all.

3. I don't think the position matters much if you're looking more than two seasons down the road.

Thread Information