Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether Primo will one day be a contributor is irrelevant. The bottom line is that our GM took a guy at 12 that nobody else would have taken in the next 10-12 picks when a more experienced GM would have either drafted a player than can contribute now, or, if their mind was set on Primo, simply traded down to get him later.

It’s embarrassing how ineffective Brian Wright has been as GM of the Spurs

He screwed up the Morris signing and allowed Bertans to walk

He got zero return for Aldridge

He had 4 UFA contracts to dangle (DeRozan, Mills, Gay, Lyles) and got nothing for any of them

He’s missed the playoffs 2 straight years

In any other field, he’d be swiftly terminated and relieved of his duties
    This is the only move I don't blame Wright for. What the Knicks and Morris did was bush league. He made that trade to get rid of Bertans to clear cap space. That was a creative move. One of the few creative moves he has done. You are right about the rest of the stuff that you listed.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether Primo will one day be a contributor is irrelevant. The bottom line is that our GM took a guy at 12 that nobody else would have taken in the next 10-12 picks when a more experienced GM would have either drafted a player than can contribute now, or, if their mind was set on Primo, simply traded down to get him later.

It’s embarrassing how ineffective Brian Wright has been as GM of the Spurs

He screwed up the Morris signing and allowed Bertans to walk

He got zero return for Aldridge

He had 4 UFA contracts to dangle (DeRozan, Mills, Gay, Lyles) and got nothing for any of them

He’s missed the playoffs 2 straight years

In any other field, he’d be swiftly terminated and relieved of his duties
    Wright is a diversity hire. They're scared of firing him even though he sucks at his job. Can't think of any other reason why they would hang onto someone with such a poor Spurs resume(on top of his underwhelming history with the Magic and Pistons front offices)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's important to separate two vital issues here.

1. Is this a good player?

2. Was this a good pick?

Let's not slag off on Primo. He really looks like a good prospect and there were a lot of people liking him later in the round. Fact is, there are tons of guards in this year's class and it was hard to differentiate them. He has defensive potential, offensive skills, seems like a great kid, and is extreeeeemely young. I believe the youngest in this class.

Now, the question is whether the team could have pulled more value out of the spot, and that's where we're all rightfully peeved.

But let's not slam this kid for the pick. The Spurs believe in their picks. They do not make trades, generally, the squeeze value, because they are conservative and know what they want. That's irritating, but it is what it is. Consistently they've been drafting well for several years now. But now's for next steps.
    I guarantee those people would have liked him a lot less if they were picking in the lottery

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could have gotten Reddish and 20 from the Hawks and still gotten him if nothing else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So...a completely wasted season right?

Easily. Lauri markkanes will be the cherry on top

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Plus if this was the pick, why not just take the 2 Knicks picks and draft him later? Knicks were keen on getting ahead of teams to draft Duarte, which went at 13.
    Knicks traded their picks completely out of the round. They did have one pick later.

Fact of the matter may be no one wanted to trade up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could have gotten Reddish and 20 from the Hawks and still gotten him if nothing else.
    But then you'd have Cam Reddish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is in Austin for at least one season. Probably two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Front court? We will play super small ball with DeMar at the 4, but without 3-point shooting. We will just outsmarten our opponents and eat dinner together to talk about the moon and the stars"
    I’m chubbin just thinking about this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honesty right here.
    Def cringey af. Nobody sat there ,and heard primos name then went YeS!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well for those of us who wanted to go into full blown rebuild mode. This is what a rebuild looks like. He is going to be another guy like Luka who we won't know if he is even a good nba player until the 3rd year of his nba career...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12th pure SG (ie not counting PG/SG and SG/SF hybrids) on tankathon's big board. We drafted him 12th overall! With a potential special guy (Sengun) still on the board...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well for those of us who wanted to go into full blown rebuild mode. This is what a rebuild looks like. He is going to be another guy like Luka who we won't know if he is even a good nba player until the 3rd year of his nba career...

Is it a rebuild? Or do spurs bring back two of derozan/mills ,and gay fighting for that playin again

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Express News guys on Twitter fluffing HARD

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks traded their picks completely out of the round. They did have one pick later.

Fact of the matter may be no one wanted to trade up.
    Yeah, but later. Not when 12 was still on the table. They wanted to move up to get Duarte, so they appear to have been motivated.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    So...a completely wasted season right?
    At least we drafted an injury prone teenager with the third worst PER in the draft. Maybe, if we're lucky, he can be a poor man's Will Barton in a few years

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a signal they expect Samanic to make a leap? Is this a sign the Spurs are going hard at John Collins? Where are the Spurs looking to get front court depth?
    I do take this as a sign they will address all their front court needs in free agency. They HAVE to come away with at least one of Collins, Lauri, or Holmes though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note the Spurs have a lot of guards and tweeners. Dejounte,White are both guards. Vassell he's a tweener between a guard and Forward. Keldon looks to me at best 6'6 but he's built like a truck so you can play him at SF but he also looks like a tweener. Now the Spurs have added Primo who is another guard. So the Spurs now have 3 guards and two tweeners for perimeter players. They have no legit PF, and have a garbage C in Poetl and his backup Eubanks is a scrub, Samanic still can't produce.

This team is terribly constructed. Too many guys are undersized and out of position and it has a lack of good bigmen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wright is a diversity hire. They're scared of firing him even though he sucks at his job. Can't think of any other reason why they would hang onto someone with such a poor Spurs resume(on top of his underwhelming history with the Magic and Pistons front offices)
    What a dumb ass take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is in Austin for at least one season. Probably two.
    Answer me you coward !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except they're not. They'll probably throw stupid money at somebody like Markkannen and be in the 9-11th range in the West again with a same bottom of the lottery pick next draft.

This organization has absolutely zero direction and it's probably going to take them another 5-7 years before they are even close to relevant again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Answer me you coward !

Nobody is dmb enough to spin this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note the Spurs have a lot of guards and tweeners. Dejounte,White are both guards. Vassell he's a tweener between a guard and Forward. Keldon looks to me at best 6'6 but he's built like a truck so you can play him at SF but he also looks like a tweener. Now the Spurs have added Primo who is another guard. So the Spurs now have 3 guards and two tweeners for perimeter players. They have no legit PF, and have a garbage C in Poetl and his backup Eubanks is a scrub, Samanic still can't produce.

This team is terribly constructed. Too many guys are undersized and out of position and it has a lack of good bigmen.
    Don't forget the worst coach in the league tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except they're not. They'll probably throw stupid money at somebody like Markkannen and be in the 9-11th range in the West again with a same bottom of the lottery pick next draft.

This organization has absolutely zero direction and it's probably going to take them another 5-7 years before they are even close to relevant again.
    Agreed. Spurs are going to keep drafting at 10-12 for the next 4-5 years the way they have designed their team. This is a re ed front office that really has no direction.

Thread Information