Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will probably never draft a white again.
    Disagree. But I wish Wagner was on the board for this pick.

If Wagner was on the board and they did this pick, I would be going ballistic; but nothing to do with racial reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's the overlap on people who about the Morris Carrol deal and people who absolutely believe the spurs could get a two for one with the 12 pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've just watched a couple of interviews. I'll say this, and I hate when people say this about black people, but he sounds highly intelligent. Not just a chill guy, but high IQ.

Also, spotting up or off a dribble, his 3-ball comes out quick.

Bad side: he's not an athlete.
    Most white people are ing idiots, so it's not rare to find black people who speak better than them.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most white people are ing idiots, so it's not rare to find black people who speak better than them.
    Maybe that sounded racist the way I wrote it. I meant we don't like hearing when people say we "sound intelligent" or "so well-spoken" because duh. But for a super-young hooper, dude sounds really notably smart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some thoughts:

1. After what happened with Kawhi, the Spurs might value character more than ever. If taking a project, might as well take the project, that will probably stay after you grew him.

2. It doesn't matter, that he is a other guard. Senguns drop showed that bigs are not worth much anyway. You can get a Montrez Harrell as a drop in to your trade these days. So why waste a pick on a big? Until Primo becomes an NBA ready player, our team will Look different anyway and some other guards will be gone.

3) We don't really know, if a team like the Pacers didn't really want to take him. I trust the Spurs in evaluating the options and the talent. Rather have him than two guys the Spurs don't think will pan out.

Sure, the night was a bummer, but I have a lot of trust when it comes to the Spurs drafting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2. It doesn't matter, that he is a other guard. ...

It matters when the team is so short of forwards.

Number of power forwards on the current roster: one. Samanic.

Number of small forwards on the current roster: one. Keldon.

As they are currently listed.

There’s one combo 4/5: Eubanks.

Two players, Vassell and Wieskamp, could possibly be listed as small forwards I guess.

One center. One power forward. One player backing up both. That is the current roster.

Something is going to change. But that’s why people talk about too many guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It matters when the team is so short of forwards.

Number of power forwards on the current roster: one. Samanic.

Number of small forwards on the current roster: one. Keldon.

As they are currently listed.

There’s one combo 4/5: Eubanks.

Two players, Vassell and Wieskamp, could possibly be listed as small forwards I guess.

One center. One power forward. One player backing up both. That is the current roster.

Something is going to change. But that’s why people talk about too many guards.
    Well, it's not like they are going for a deep run anyway. Should be ok to have kind of an unbalanced roster in a year, you are probably looking more at some Mock Drafts than Playoffs positioning.

AND as I said, it's not that hard to get some somewhat competent big just to fill in for a year or two. Maybe you even can do a team like Boston (Tristan T) a favour and snag something extra with that (not that the Spurs are doing maneuvering like that, but well).

AND I'm still hopefull we will get Lauri.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it's not like they are going for a deep run anyway. Should be ok to have kind of an unbalanced roster in a year, you are probably looking more at some Mock Drafts than Playoffs positioning.

AND as I said, it's not that hard to get some somewhat competent big just to fill in for a year or two. Maybe you even can do a team like Boston (Tristan T) a favour and snag something extra with that (not that the Spurs are doing maneuvering like that, but well).

AND I'm still hopefull we will get Lauri.

Yeah it seems bigs are a bit less valuable. Jarett Allen Collins kristaps? On top of what you have mentioned.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some thoughts:

Sure, the night was a bummer, but I have a lot of trust when it comes to the Spurs drafting.
    I don't. They hit a a couple of draft picks twenty years ago. Nothing all that special recently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2. It doesn't matter, that he is a other guard. Senguns drop showed that bigs are not worth much anyway. You can get a Montrez Harrell as a drop in to your trade these days. So why waste a pick on a big? Until Primo becomes an NBA ready player, our team will Look different anyway and some other guards will be gone.
    I call BS. That's the current zeitgeist, but look at the recent history of Champion and finalists.

2021 - Bucks (Giannis), Suns (Ayton)
    2020 - Lakers (AD), Miami (Bam)
    2019* - Raptors (Marc Gasol) Suns (Durant) *Durant got injured, otherwise I figure Suns win going away
    2018 - Suns (Durant) Cavs (Lebron at PF)
    2017 - Suns (Durant) Cavs (Lebron at PF)

Teams that get to the finals have good 2-way bigs. The team that wins, has the better 2-way big... (You can argue that 17 and 18 were a tie - at which points the rest of the Warriors had an overwhelming talent advantage).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call BS. That's the current zeitgeist, but look at the recent history of Champion and finalists.

2019* - Raptors (Marc Gasol) Suns (Durant) *Durant got injured, otherwise I figure Suns win going away

Teams that get to the finals have good 2-way bigs. The team that wins, has the better 2-way big... (You can argue that 17 and 18 were a tie - at which points the rest of the Warriors had an overwhelming talent advantage).
    damn I never knew the Phoenix Suns had KD and made the finals 3 times in a row

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn I never knew the Phoenix Suns had KD and made the finals 3 times in a row
    Yeah Ok, my brain short circuited. GSW. The point stands...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm really looking forward to watching him develop into an MVP caliber player and then leaving, or not develop and landing a long term contract with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you call Lebron, Giannis and Durant "bigs" you are 100% right. Some might call Lebron a PG and the other two SFs and well you are right, no team became Champion playing only guards.

Mentioning Embiid and Jokic alongside AD and Bam would have suited your argument way better.

I'm not opposed to getting a big, but I don't think we absolutely had to draft one just to balance out our roster. Especially while not playing for anything the next 2 or 3 seasons. Maybe a guy like Sengun becomes very good, but it's not likely we didn't draft the next league MVP here (I giess this gets bookmarked now ^^). Probably there are even better options available via MLE.

Long story short: I agree that bigs are important and this years Bucks and last years Lakers proved that during the Finals. But we are in rebuilding mode, thus making it ok to just get some stop gab big or even not that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't. They hit a a couple of draft picks twenty years ago. Nothing all that special recently.
    People think every late firstrounder becomes a productive NBA player. Take a look at the draft boards over the last years! So many guys (even in the lottery) that didn't get a second contract or not even really sticking around for more than some training sessions. Sure the Spurs missed out on some talents like Jokic as well (as did nearly everyone), but when going though the Spurs firstrounders and taking into account where they drafted, they did pretty well. Just look up any draft history of regular playoff teams and you wont remember most of the namens taken. I take White, Keldon, Murray and Co over all of them, even though I have to admit, that drafting higher and not effin' it up is a other story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People think every late firstrounder becomes a productive NBA player. Take a look at the draft boards over the last years! So many guys (even in the lottery) that didn't get a second contract or not even really sticking around for more than some training sessions. Sure the Spurs missed out on some talents like Jokic as well (as did nearly everyone), but when going though the Spurs firstrounders and taking into account where they drafted, they did pretty well. Just look up any draft history of regular playoff teams and you wont remember most of the namens taken. I take White, Keldon, Murray and Co over all of them, even though I have to admit, that drafting higher and not effin' it up is a other story.

Spurs can develop players period. Lets see what they can do with babyface PRIMo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude has some man hands,and fingers like edward scissor hands. JohnB is surely satisfied

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

SPURS SIGN 2021 FIRST ROUND PICK JOSH PRIMO

SAN ANTONIO (August 11, 2021) – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard Josh Primo. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not announced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

View originalFlag media

Tom Petrini
    realTomPetrini
    1m
    Fascinating nugget about Josh Primo’s ambidexterity, thanks to @big_oh_tea for pointing this out si.com/nba/thunder/dr… twitter.com/spurs/status/1…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far he has good form on his shot. He stumbles around a bit. Loose with the ball on the dribble.
    Patience I guess. Still waiting on some of that high draft pick class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Talent aside, Primo looks the part of a star for some reason. His facial features remind me of Kobe.

Thread Information