San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...season-game-1/

prayingdog.jpg @ This being the start of Brian Wright's redemption tour

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who you think at this point gets the cuts lj?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, LJ! Hopefully this season is easier to watch and grade for you compared to what it's been the past 2 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will give credit to McDermott... he looks like one of those players who plays solid all the time. Not great, not bad, just good enough. We've had vets who'd hurt the team when they played on the floor. Doug gives a positive contribution at the minimum.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    whoevers idea it was to keep lma/deroza/gay/mills on the team for so long needs to be fired

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landale... clearly needs to adjust to the game's speed and physicality. His turnovers were largely because of underestimated opposing quickness. Clearly a smart player; he'll adjust quickly.

Samanic... he remains highly intriguing to me, steps away from a bit of a monster, just... is going to find that door?

Walker... I like the dude, but he gets spooked. You can tell his brain just wipes when he's approaching the rim or has to do complex defensive rotations.

The rest are about as expected. Kinda wish Vassell were less passive. Primo spending much time down below will be an utter waste of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp. Thanks again. Glad basketball is back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So here's some of my thoughts...

Starting top and down...

DJ is definitely a keeper IMO, he's got that junk yard dog type at ude that helps him to take over for stretches. I think as a third option or when he's got it rolling, it couldn't be anymore ideal for the future of this team.

White on the other, and from how long I've followed him is very situationally based. He has to be comfortable to play to his ceiling. He can be Jekyll and Hyde so much. I think he needs to lead the bench ala a Ginobili role. He has shown to be fragile in the past and a slightly smaller role minutes wise with increased responsibility may yield wonders. I think as a head of the snake for the bench it would allow him plenty of touches to establish his rhythm that should help for late game. Right now as a starter and when he plays off the ball, he has to resort to being a spot up shooter and that's just not his game.

KJ, showed a lot tonight. I'd like him to develop a low post game to get to the rim and that nice little fade we saw. He might find himself with a mismatch often and a low post game to bully smaller players could really help the team dynamic.

Mc really surprised me. I had no idea how good of a finisher he was. Just a great role player and excellent addition for this team. He fits flawlessly as far as I'm concerned.

Poetl played really well but if White isn't taken out I'm just not sure how you alleviate the huge potential shooting problem of the SL. I think Jock would fit here. But if Primo keeps playing like the way he is, I don't know how you can keep him out the starting lineup and his skillset covers all the voids.

Bryn. fvck

Vassell plays great D. I think his ceiling is about Ariza. He doesn't really have a knockdown shot at this point, his handles are loose and he doesn't know how to create a shot. He's a perfect Ariza or Bowen type complimentary piece as it stands.

Primo. Part goat and part mamba. He gonna have to earn his stripes and that may be hard, but he's the best prospect we've had since probably Ginobili... He's much better then Kawhi when he came out, that is for certain.

Jock. His skill set is just so tantalizing. If you consider what he can offer a team and if he was being drafted he would most definitely be a lottery pick. With that being said he's much older but he's got game man. I freaking love Aussies. They are tough as nails, and they play smart like Euros. This guys shot looks better than a lot of wings and guards, no cap.

Eubanks and really one of my favorite but I definitely respect him. He is a low flash, high substance guy who can just play. He has mad heart and he does the intangibles. I love the guy man. He's a solid backup.

Walker. I really think a change of scenery would be best for him. I don't think he plays free and Pop's coaching style kind of hurt him in that aspect. I think he can still be a great player I just think at least for our team he is expendable. It's just how do you extract how much he is truly worth. I really think in the right situation he could be a star, i just don't think it will ever be with us. Lonnie my dude man, and I don't say this cause I hate him, I just feel for him so to speak... It's that kind of relationship that no matter how hard you try it just never works out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DISCLAIMER: It's only one game. Primo was a top 4 rook tonight. Others who had good games: Giddey, Bouknight, and Barnes.

Moses Moody, Franz, Suggs, Kuminga, Kai Jones, Davion Mitc , Jalen Johnson all appear to have played average-to-poor games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DISCLAIMER: It's only one game. Primo was a top 4 rook tonight. Others who had good games: Giddey, Bouknight, and Barnes.

Moses Moody, Franz, Suggs, Kuminga, Kai Jones, Davion Mitc , Jalen Johnson all appear to have played average-to-poor games.
    its not always about stats man... it's preseason... kids have good games and bad games. Personally I am looking at talent, skill, potential, character etc. This kid is special man. By the end of the year man, could be crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. It’s off to a good start for our guys, albeit it’s the pre-season. But they look good and they should feel good about themselves and the hard work they put in in the off-season. Way to share the ball with almost all have an assist or two.I’m excited for Primo. He feels he belong out there, and that’s a great thing. I remember Kobe was the same in his rookie year. I know they will play him in Austin, and fittingly so to develop more his game, and physicality. But he would be a player to get excited about. I like what I see from Jock. He will earn his minutes with his type of play, and shooting with range. That said, Luka needs to continue working hard. Boy we’re stacked at the PF and smallball C position, which really necessitates Keldon to play the SF. McDermont has that stretch 4 locked, unless we play the play the Lakers or similar which they could start Landale or even Zollins when he gets back. Pop should have a lot of options to play with. Good stuff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young on the move, then? Still a few teams, once you exclude 2-way and Exhibit 10 that have < 15 players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waller for Simmons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    according to who played.. it looks like Thad getting traded and Aminu getting cut. I assume Pop wants to see a little more but I don't see how they fit.

That would round out the roster if I'm not mistaken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have a package of Young, Aminu, Walker and/or Luka, going right now tbh with a pick and see what I could get.

Walker is close to contract and could use a change in scenery and Luka is just there for any semblance of value. I would put Vassel there but he got some good rookie years to use and he is very serviceable for depth as a wing.

Letting go of Lonnie also clears a path for Primo immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thad and someone else are going to one of these teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    List looks a bit outdated.

Suns and Blazers make the most sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just thinking man, with the wealth of "assets" so to speak even though I dislike that term in reference to ppl, we are set for a much quicker rebuild then I feel many think.

I understand it is very early, but my feel is that the team will be very compe ive and make the playoffs, and if someone comes available at the deadline, we theoretically have a compe ive offer that wouldn't hurt us much long term.

To me it's Thad, Aminu, Walker, and Luka... we got picks.. so. Could be interesting. Doesn't have to be a star either, just someone who impacts our odds of winning and clears space for those in the reserve. Like an elite role player type.

Draymond, Aaron Gordon, Jerami Grant... players like that, whether it be back court or front court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs basketball is back and so are the Grades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just thinking man, with the wealth of "assets" so to speak even though I dislike that term in reference to ppl, we are set for a much quicker rebuild then I feel many think.

I understand it is very early, but my feel is that the team will be very compe ive and make the playoffs, and if someone comes available at the deadline, we theoretically have a compe ive offer that wouldn't hurt us much long term.

To me it's Thad, Aminu, Walker, and Luka... we got picks.. so. Could be interesting. Doesn't have to be a star either, just someone who impacts our odds of winning and clears space for those in the reserve. Like an elite role player type.

Draymond, Aaron Gordon, Jerami Grant... players like that, whether it be back court or front court.
    I like our young guys but it’s just one game against another teams deep bench players so let’s not get to excited. As far as trades I would hold off a little bit I really want to see what our draft picks can do as far as guys we picked up yeah if you can get a draft pick then I am cool with a trade just don’t want any old broke down vets back unless it’s a one year contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like our young guys but it’s just one game against another teams deep bench players so let’s not get to excited. As far as trades I would hold off a little bit I really want to see what our draft picks can do as far as guys we picked up yeah if you can get a draft pick then I am cool with a trade just don’t want any old broke down vets back unless it’s a one year contract.
    Agreed to all points. It was an indicator though of what this team is capable of on a sunny day so to speak. I don't really look at numbers too much...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m glad that DJ and Keldon were shooting 3s. I don’t worry about percentages. Just have that mentality to keep launching. That said, I didn’t see the game so idk if they passed up open looks or not. Lonnie looks like he is always gonna be a pup. No dawg in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad, Samanic, and/ or Landale starting and getting heavy minutes the next game is the kind of Pop pulls. It would throw the whole trade theory out the window. We’ll see.

I do think if Primo continues to impress, regular minutes in the rotation are there for the taking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When was the last time a rook got this much love and respect from both fans and teammates? Peep Murray at the end. Murray doesn’t usually warm up to rooks this quick. Primo will have bad games, but this is a great sign.

Thread Information