Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of those 20 something second rounders from 2019, I’d be curious how many were on two ways. The NBA seemed to take advantage of a covid rule change in maximum time with the big club to leverage cheap labor. I’m wondering if, when they change the rule back,you’ll see fewer second rounders playing games in the NBA at full labor cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two phrases I have difficulty with are "he's not an NBA player" and "he's not in the same league as [NBA player]" when the poster is referring to a player in the NBA, and therefore, a player that is in the same league as the other player.

26 players drafted in the second round of the 2019-2020 draft played in the NBA last year. 87% means that a 10-15% chance of being an NBA player is incredibly low compared to most 2nd rounders.
    By saying Wieskamp has a chance to be an NBA player, that was short-hand for stating that I think he can have a long, legitimate, ~10-year NBA career. Most second round picks at least get a cup of coffee these days, especially with COVID rules expanding rosters even further (two-way deals and the fact that second rounders don't count as much against the lux tax as other players signed to a minimum deal).

Looking at the 2010 draft, there's one second rounder still in the league (Hassan Whiteside at #33). The 2011 draft has two: Bojan Bogdanovic at #31 and E'Twaun Moore #55. 2012 has ~5 players still in the league after 9 years, while the 2013 has only two (Mike Muscala and James Ennis) in the league after eight years.

So that's ten players total in the four second rounds. 10/120 = 8% chance of a second round pick in that era having a long NBA career. I'm giving Wieskamp a 10-15% chance of joining that group -- which doesn't sound like amazing odds but it's almost double the odds of a random second round pick. Moreover, most second rounders that make it are drafted near the top of the second round and, IIRC, players drafted past pick 40 have like a 5% chance of becoming NBA lifers -- so I'm pretty high on Wieskamp given his actual odds.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wieskamp certainly has the type of skillset to survive in today's NBA. If the league changes as much in the next 10 years as it has in the last 10, who knows, but shooting and being able to move without the ball should always be valuable. I don't see him starting unless he greatly improves or it's for a bad team, but a long-term solid bench role is well within reach for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By saying Wieskamp has a chance to be an NBA player, that was short-hand for stating that I think he can have a long, legitimate, ~10-year NBA career. Most second round picks at least get a cup of coffee these days, especially with COVID rules expanding rosters even further (two-way deals and the fact that second rounders don't count as much against the lux tax as other players signed to a minimum deal).

Looking at the 2010 draft, there's one second rounder still in the league (Hassan Whiteside at #33). The 2011 draft has two: Bojan Bogdanovic at #31 and E'Twaun Moore #55. 2012 has ~5 players still in the league after 9 years, while the 2013 has only two (Mike Muscala and James Ennis) in the league after eight years.

So that's ten players total in the four second rounds. 10/120 = 8% chance of a second round pick in that era having a long NBA career. I'm giving Wieskamp a 10-15% chance of joining that group -- which doesn't sound like amazing odds but it's almost double the odds of a random second round pick. Moreover, most second rounders that make it are drafted near the top of the second round and, IIRC, players drafted past pick 40 have like a 5% chance of becoming NBA lifers -- so I'm pretty high on Wieskamp given his actual odds.
    Yikes. That really tough odds!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he all ready beat worse odds to make it in the NBA everything else is Gravy. Lol

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2011 has four, add Davis Bertans and Isaiah Thomas.
    2012 has six, add Tomas Satoransky
    2013 has three, add Raul Neto

timvp's point is still valid.
    Last edited by Drom John; 08-18-2021 at 03:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMHO SA should be looking to Eubanks KBD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMHO SA should be looking to Eubanks KBD
    They'll still have his RFA rights next year, so they can Eubanks him then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll still have his RFA rights next year, so they can Eubanks him then.
    Yup. I’m just saying I hope their mind is looking that direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information