Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For context, I had Primo going at No. 20 to Atlanta in my final mock. Per sources, Primo was believed to be one of the players the Hawks were targeting in trade-up scenarios. I viewed him as a first-round lock, but the interest in him was much hotter than it seemed based on public mock drafts and whatever information had trickled out on the matter. Per sources, the Hornets (who opted for James Bouknight, after he slid) and Thunder (who could have taken Primo at No. 16 or 18) were also quite interested. The Spurs also loved Primo and were intent on landing him.
    The market for Primo was so silent that many rival teams even had no idea he was in play that high. But as I understand it, San Antonio felt there wasn’t a clear opportunity to trade back and completely ensure Primo was still available. When in doubt, you just take the guy you like the most on the board. Like many around the league, the Spurs felt there was a good deal of untapped upside hidden by his role at Alabama. He’s was the youngest player drafted (he turns 19 in December) and in the past couple years has grown to 6'6” while maintaining his coordination and guard skills.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/30/20...rting-thoughts
    This bolsters the thought that media mocks lag behind what's actually happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It also suggests that trading back to OKC was NOT on the docket becaue OKC might have taken him at #12. (Often Presti and the Spurs are of the same mind.) The Spurs likely knew this and didn't try to hit them up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve watched videos of Primo defending bigs in the post and defending them extremely well. Very rare for a guy his size. IMO, probably another reason the Spurs were high on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching the combine scrimmage is really helpful to see Primo in a different environment where he's utilized differently.

He definitely plays within a team concept and understands spacing. If he's not handling the ball as a secondary playmaker, he goes directly to the left and right corners to spot up for a 3. It's a natural tendency for him to go to those spots.

I HIGHLY suggest watching the game. He is #32 on the team with the white jerseys.

He had some SICK passes in this game. Including one where he did a no-look.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I must reiterate how big Joshua looks on the court. It's one of those things where you can't believe Jrue is listed 6'3" (?) but looks huge next to someone else who is listed 6'3". I wanted to refresh my mind how Jaylen Brown (a legit 2) looks and watched a video and I wouldn't be surprised if Josh is bigger. In this scrimmage, he was guarding the opposing 2.

Another note is that his handles seem impressive. He seems to understand how to control his speed and can slow down and speed up with ease.

He was also matched up with Sam Hauser (6'8") during this scrimmage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgive me, I'm posting as I go. Another match-up for Primo in this scrimmage: Johnny Juzang.

So 2/3rds into the video, his primary match-ups are: Austin Reaves, Sam Hauser, and Johnny Juzang.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be interested to track Primo's development in contrast to Jaden Springers.

Primo has him for height, wingspan and 3pt volume shooting atm but I would give the nod to Jaden on everything else.

Jaden's father is heavily involved with his game too which may have scared the Spurs off some.
    Philly may end up trading him with a Ben Simmons type deal but we'll see.

Good luck Mr. Primo, we'll all be rooting for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know. Camera angles and everything.

Primo is not going to have a hard time guarding wings in the league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this is not yet posted. This guy predicted what was to happen more than 1 month ago.

https://frontofficegurus.com/2021/06...nting-my-flag/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs sure do put a lot of stock in these combine scrimmages. Wasn’t that the same reason they made a promise to Livio Jean-Charles?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's got good handles...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So 2/3rds into the video, his primary match-ups are: Austin Reaves, Sam Hauser, and Johnny Juzang.
    OMG Reaves, Hauser, AND Juzang?!?! How’d somebody who competed against such top flight talent fall to us at 36, erm, 12.

Somebody pinch me, I’m dreaming …

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More nice handles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea im definetly not seeing anything in these videos. I will agree primo looks bigger,wide framed if you will then 6'4 190

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OMG Reaves, Hauser, AND Juzang?!?! How’d somebody who competed against such top flight talent fall to us at 36, erm, 12.

Somebody pinch me, I’m dreaming …
    That's not the intended takeaway from my post.

None of the scouts watched this scrimmage to see who would beat who. It's a scrimmage. You're there to gauge skillsets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

None of the scouts watched this scrimmage to see who would beat who. It's a scrimmage. You're there to gauge skillsets.
    For sure. And the takeaway here is that our boy can hold his own, sorta, against D level talent like Juzang. Quite the display of skills to be gauged

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this is not yet posted. This guy predicted what was to happen more than 1 month ago.

https://frontofficegurus.com/2021/06...nting-my-flag/
    Nice find.

Wieskamp is on the list too and even got his own article.

https://frontofficegurus.com/2021/06...-joe-wieskamp/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Vy65 just wants attention; we have another ball handler oozing with potential! The riders will be out soon enough������

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs sure do put a lot of stock in these combine scrimmages. Wasn’t that the same reason they made a promise to Livio Jean-Charles?

This kid is gonna be another Livio Jean-Charles tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bit nuts that Primo was bar none the youngest player in all of college basketball last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bit nuts that Primo was bar none the youngest player in all of college basketball last year.

He def hung in there his freshman year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vy65 just wants attention; we have another ball handler oozing with potential! The riders will be out soon enough������
    Yes!!!! Please attention!!! I need this soooo much. You got me all Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are cranky, and it's actually quite humorous. The posts can be funny.

Reminds me of this:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really do hope spurs found something special here. At the very least should be a solid rotational piece

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may be the worst draft pick the Spurs ever had when u factor in the position we were in and where he was slated to go... He may never see significant minutes on an NBA court, especially with Pop coaching... He will be 3 years in and getting pulled up from the G league just to be yanked out the game and benched indefinitely the first mistake he makes

Thread Information