Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't like Walker or Vassell? lol

they aren't done quite yet. they have the most flexibility they have ever had. let's see how the rest of the summer goes in terms of free agency and trades.

i don't really gaf what draftcentral.net or whatever says.

these "draft experts" are ing astrologists - there's no way to know which 18 year old kid is going to be TMac.
    Guess what. They passed on a guy (Sengun) who has a chance to be top talent last night... You aren't going to get top talent by not drafting the chance when it comes by.
    So did 15 other teams. Including three teams after the Spurs (maybe more if count those that traded out)
    I'm disappointed in the pick. However when I think about it- why I am I disappointed. Because I've read all these mock drafts listened to all these pre-draft discussions etc.
    However go back and look at post draft grades for 2016, it's been 5 years so enough time to tell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...gram/86303580/
    https://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/24/nb...brandon-ingram

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which players from the 2020 draft should they have taken last night?

this doesn't even make ing sense
    I think it means they selected a player who could be a lottery pick next year. Spurs were not picking 29th! They’re still in that “late 1st round strategy” he would be a lottery next year, let’s pick him now!. We’re actually picking a lottery this year, and should’ve picked a lottery pick for this year.

He’s a good kid. But nobody does a project with a lottery pick. Just not the same process as picking in the late 1st round. That’s what Timvp is saying. PATFO needs to change the process when selecting in the lottery. Primo is NOT a lottery pick RIGHT NOW, so don’t pick him now, especially since there were BPA more in-tune with lottery, Sengun, Moody. Heck, I’d be ecstatic if we chose Jalen Johnson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have this halcyon vision of how draft teams work.
    Nah, man. Making a draft board is so common and fundamental that timvp made one up for an article. Every team has one. You're doing backfilps to try to explain how PATFO could evaluate players so differently than you do. There's no need. We aren't them. They make their judgments, and we make ours. They don't have to be the same, and the Spurs don't have to be (W)right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly my thoughts. This player is still there next year. They punted this year for a player who would still only be around #12 next year. Big opportunity cost in doing so.
    So did 15 other teams. Including three teams after the Spurs (maybe more if count those that traded out)
    I'm disappointed in the pick. However when I think about it- why I am I disappointed. Because I've read all these mock drafts listened to all these pre-draft discussions etc.
    However go back and look at post draft grades for 2016, it's been 5 years so enough time to tell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...gram/86303580/
    https://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/24/nb...brandon-ingram
    my personal favorite

4. Phoenix Suns
    Pick: Dragan Bender, forward, Croatia
    Grade: B+
    Analysis: The addition of this year's top international prospect should be a difference-maker in the Suns' frontcourt ... eventually. Despite Bender's 7-1 frame, he's versatile enough to play either forward position or center, but there will surely be an adjustment period for the 18 year old Croatian. Could he be this year's Kristaps Porzingis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you having trouble reading? No one's literally talking about Josh Primo next year. And next year is 2022, not 2020.
    I said that without giving the context to tell him to GO BACK TO ING SCHOOL, because he’s not ready yet.

We make an actual lottery pick this year, not a second rounder, and when we’re in the lottery next year, and he PROVES to be a lottery pick, we select him.

I still don’t see the fuss. He has no great physical gifts, and no standout skill. He’s ‘a guy’.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way I would expect them to pick Primo against BPA is if they were specifically trying to trade him to a team that thought Josh was BPA and wanted him in a deal.
    I’m still holding on to this thought to keep my sanity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it means they selected a player who could be a lottery pick next year. Spurs were not picking 29th! They’re still in that “late 1st round strategy” he would be a lottery next year, let’s pick him now!. We’re actually picking a lottery this year, and should’ve picked a lottery pick for this year.

He’s a good kid. But nobody does a project with a lottery pick. Just not the same process as picking in the late 1st round. That’s what Timvp is saying. PATFO needs to change the process when selecting in the lottery. Primo is NOT a lottery pick RIGHT NOW, so don’t pick him now, especially since there were BPA more in-tune with lottery, Sengun, Moody. Heck, I’d be ecstatic if we chose Jalen Johnson.
    my point is if they wanted him and he is there, take him.

you're only getting one shot at someone you want.

the spurs have generally smart and experienced people that work hard at this stuff. they have gotten a lot of these picks right.

all those smart people working hard and these idiots weigh in with "fire Pop bc he doesn't play Luka Sandwich"

jfc i wouldn't come to your job and start telling you when to take the fries out have some ing respect for GREGG ING POPOVICH.

these morons just want daryl morey bull because bill simmons said it was cool

and yes, the "Pop Defender" has logged on get at me you little smooth brains!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said that without giving the context to tell him to GO BACK TO ING SCHOOL, because he’s not ready yet.

We make an actual lottery pick this year, not a second rounder, and when we’re in the lottery next year, and he PROVES to be a lottery pick, we select him.

I still don’t see the fuss. He has no great physical gifts, and no standout skill. He’s ‘a guy’.
    I'm still puzzled why Primo came out this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 reasons to believe in GM Brian Wright (who is totally in control of running the ship).

1. This has to light a fire under Lonnie’s ass. The dude seems anemic for too long of stretches. It’s not even an icy hot thing either it’s more an effort thing. Some games he looks like the second coming of MJ and the majority he looks lost and doesn’t give a . I don’t know if we offer Lonnie another contract but if he continues his show of effort this coming year then we have a replacement down the line

2. You can never have enough shooting. Yeah we have another combo guard or whatever but he is a shooter. That’s his bread and butter. His form looks good, his leg/body placement seems ready at all times, and he doesn’t look like he will lack confidence in himself when it comes to launching 3s. Say what you want but we don’t have that many shooters. It would be nice to have a bench that are all threats from the 3 and can all switch and can defend (I know he’s not there yet defensively but that will be taught I hope).

3. He fits a role perfectly. As shown in Alabama, he has no problem waiting in the corner for the open look. It’s how he was used. This means he won’t complain about lack of touches and it also means that we can take our sweet ass time developing him right? Well the answer to that is kinda. Bc he already does the one thing that takes a lot of our players years to develop. Unlike DJ or KJ, we don’t have to teach him to shoot! That’s a big deal. Now we can just focus on getting him to learn the game. That’s harder for sure but he’s young enough to where his bad habits can be gotten rid of defensively and where he can absorb an offense. It’s the opposite of why I was opposed to making DJ a PG. They were chasing too many rabbits with DJ: shooting, defense, running an offense, high pick n roll, etc and that’s gonna take years and years to learn. But you can focus on 2 & 3 with him in a more natural game situation in Austin. It’s why White worked out better. He could just focus on playing the game. Primo just needs to focus on playing the game.

This pick gives me hope that we know what we are actually doing. He doesn’t align with our kids timeline but when we tank next year and get that high draft pick, those 2 guys are going to grow together. You keep the high character youth we have now that can teach them the game and the Spurs way and you do it right in a rubuild. It’s like what NO tried to do with Zion except they don’t have the locker room or culture. We do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not happy with the pick either, should've traded down if they really wanted Primo, but some of you people are being ridiculous.

You've never seen the kid play. Maybe he's the next big thing, maybe he'll be out of the league in 5 years, we can't know.
    Mock drafts and predictions have been wrong so many times, a lot of overhyped players fail.

With that being said, I have zero confidence in anything Brian Wright does.
    he'll be under Lord Popovich the next 2 years. We WON'T see him play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which one of these recent 12th picks do you think could take the Spurs back to contention?

2019 PJ Washington, Kentucky – Charlotte Hornets
    2018 Miles Bridges, Michigan State University – Charlotte Hornets
    2017 Luke Kennard, Duke – Detroit Pistons
    2016 Taurean Prince, Baylor – Utah Jazz
    2015 Trey Lyles, Kentucky – Utah Jazz
    2014 Dario Saric, Croatia – Orlando Magic
    2013 Steven Adams, Pittsburgh – Oklahoma City Thunder
    2012 Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut – Houston Rockets
    2011 Alec Burks, Colorado – Utah Jazz
    2010 Xavier Henry, Kansas – Memphis Grizzlies

Get a ing grip we are the Pacers until we land a top talent again.
    Good post. Some perspective is definitely needed.

i think we're all just looking for some excitement for this upcoming year and so far we have no real reason to be excited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shooting......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our Josh Huestes pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way to sugarcoat this....the Spurs FO did a fvcking horrible job with last night's draft. Picking 12 and they go the long-shot development route? My hope was with the 12th pick they'd get someone who could help us right away, not someone who won't be an asset for two seasons at least. If they truly wanted Primo, they could have easily traded down. Risk of losing him? Who cares if someone else nabbed him. This was a draft of middle tier talent after the first few guys left the board anyway. Primo's gone, get the next guy on your list. Dumb.

Typing this, my only thought is they are fully embracing the "tank" at this point. They lost LMA. They'll probably give up DDR for nothing, as per the team's recent M.O.. Why risk drafting a true lottery talent at the risk of him being really good, jelling with our other young talent, and messing up our chances at a top 3 pick next summer? In a relatively weak draft position, draft a long-term prospect, commit to being as horrible as possible next year, and get the full rebuild launched in earnest.

It's the only explanation I have for some of this team's recent ridiculous choices. This might be the cherry on top.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 07-30-2021 at 10:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

dude he was not going back to school because brian wright told him to lol. he was an early-second rounder AT WORST

under that scenario he could be the 5th pick next year or something.

do you remember when we used to have people that could make a ing three? that is his skill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team's highest lottery pick since Duncan
    The Spurs literally had a higher pick last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    38% from 3 is a elite skill? Trey Murphy’s shooting line was 50/43/93, and he was taken 5 picks later. That’s elite shooting. Oh, and he’s pretty elite with help defense. He’s also 6’9”. Just sayin’.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    38% from 3 is a elite skill? Trey Murphy’s shooting line was 50/43/93, and he was taken 5 picks later. That’s elite shooting. Oh, and he’s pretty elite with help defense. He’s also 6’9”. Just sayin’.

Yep...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs literally had a higher pick last year.
    Oh yeah. Vassell felt like a 14 or 15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. He could be lottery next year at 19. But heck, the Spurs picked him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said nothing of elite and asked what his standout skill was..........

Shooting (or three - point shooting to be exact).

Plus, I didn't like the pick either (actually hated it) but the reality is that is who they chose.

They'll need to either pick up some size in FA or hope Samanic + Bates-Diop can really contribute (I'll cry if it's the latter alone).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually like KBD still and think he'd be a fine rotational forward for the team. I'd just rather see him have to earn those minutes from good compe ion and not be gifted them due to a ty roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $... that's an easy one, I'd say. The whole business is too high stakes to risk not coming out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pick felt like our Anfernee Simons pick and so far that has had middling results for Portland.

I like the kid's youth, perimeter shooting ability and defensive potential, but his lack of explosiveness athletically is very, very concerning.

He'll have to become a lot better and a more dynamic ballhandler to compensate for that lack of vertical pop/explosive first - step.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, and I'm hoping they trade someone, as I've said enough now to where it's annoying. Even if they were planning on getting rid of a guard, I still think they'd believe Primo was BPA. Their are other ways to fill the guard minutes like free agency. They didn't HAVE to draft one at 12 to do that if there was more talented prospects at other positions. The only way I would expect them to pick Primo against BPA is if they were specifically trying to trade him to a team that thought Josh was BPA and wanted him in a deal.
    Yes, the Spurs had him as BPA on their board. Frankly, I don't understand people questioning that... I do understand them questioning how accurate their board was but that's a different discussion entirely.. Hopefully, a trade or two is coming but, I'm not getting my hopes up with the FO anymore..

Thread Information