Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh well, I guess all we can do now is wait and see. I can't help thinking though that if Primo had been picked by Sacramento or Orlando in this range, there wouldn't be pages & pages of analysis attempting to justify an almost universally panned pick... I think it'd be a lot of " Classic Kings move" and the like, & then on to other topics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $... that's an easy one, I'd say. The whole business is too high stakes to risk not coming out.
    Mm, dunno. He projected as late 1st round at best this year and potential lottery next. Falling into the 2nd this year would have been a disaster compared to the jack he'd make next time around as a lottery. I mean, it worked for him, but it's strange.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still puzzled why Primo came out this year.
    Same here. You're 18 years old, average 8 points a game & decide to enter the draft. The funniest thing about all this is that he couldn't believe he was picked as early as he was. As much confidence as he has in himslef, as much as he believed he could get drafted in the NBA, he was still surprised he was picked at 12. He even told his agent sarcastically "shut up" when he was told the Spurs were going to take him. What a colossal whiff. I have zero confidence in this front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh well, I guess all we can do now is wait and see. I can't help thinking though that if Primo had been picked by Sacramento or Orlando in this range, there wouldn't be pages & pages of analysis attempting to justify an almost universally panned pick... I think it'd be a lot of " Classic Kings move" and the like, & then on to other topics.
    I scoffed at OKC for picking Huestes, and that was a late first rounder, so, probably not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd been excited about the draft since the season ended, and then when we picked it was like those videos you see of the horrible parents who prank their kids with a PlayStation box on Christmas, and then fill it with socks.

My confidence in the Spurs FO has dwindled to zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd been excited about the draft since the season ended, and then when we picked it was like those videos you see of the horrible parents who prank their kids with a PlayStation box on Christmas, and then fill it with socks.

My confidence in the Spurs FO has dwindled to zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine with Primo the player. To be honest there was no one left that I personally felt bad about missing on. It’s, for me, about the bigger picture but it’s onto FA now and SA FO needs to show a pulse.

If they both let ddr walk for nothing while simultaneously throw big money at a player like Lauri they are toast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think using the phrase "exhibited flashes" on a prospect with underwhelming raw stats, metrics, and eye test moves has become the scouting equivalent of a teacher telling her classroom of 9 year olds that anyone can become president of the United States when they grow up... if they just work hard enough and dream. Sure, it's true in the most general sense...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pick felt like our Anfernee Simons pick and so far that has had middling results for Portland.

I like the kid's youth, perimeter shooting ability and defensive potential, but his lack of explosiveness athletically is very, very concerning.

He'll have to become a lot better and a more dynamic ballhandler to compensate for that lack of vertical pop/explosive first - step.
    Sir, 38 inch verticals aren’t run of the mill😂 we will see very soon if Patfo were misguided; I bet the rest of the league is second guessing themselves about primo!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the Spurs had him as BPA on their board. Frankly, I don't understand people questioning that... I do understand them questioning how accurate their board was but that's a different discussion entirely.. Hopefully, a trade or two is coming but, I'm not getting my hopes up with the FO anymore..
    We have no idea what their board looked like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his GF is hot, his stepmom is hot and he has a great basketball name that is tailor-made for HEB commercials. just focusing on some of the other positives. obviously, i'll root for the kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think using the phrase "exhibited flashes" on a prospect with underwhelming raw stats, metrics, and eye test moves has become the scouting equivalent of a teacher telling her classroom of 9 year olds that anyone can become president of the United States when they grow up... if they just work hard enough and dream. Sure, it's true in the most general sense...
    It's part a consequence of how the NBA drafts now. Used to be, even into the 90s, that you'd draft seniors, maybe some guys who left college a bit early, and you'd have a man. You'd have someone who knew how to play basketball. Knew team sets, knew what to do in many situations, had competed. This player was expected to step in and contribute quickly.

Nowadays there are hugely speculative picks and most players are extremely raw. Yes, there are studs that contribute quickly, but for the most part it's like sifting sand looking for tiny glints.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's part a consequence of how the NBA drafts now. Used to be, even into the 90s, that you'd draft seniors, maybe some guys who left college a bit early, and you'd have a man. You'd have someone who knew how to play basketball. Knew team sets, knew what to do in many situations, had competed. This player was expected to step in and contribute quickly.

Nowadays there are hugely speculative picks and most players are extremely raw. Yes, there are studs that contribute quickly, but for the most part it's like sifting sand looking for tiny glints.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if this is how the Spurs are going to draft, I'm official off of Team Tank. max out DePression and double Mills' salary while we're at it.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly my thoughts. This player is still there next year. They punted this year for a player who would still only be around #12 next year. Big opportunity cost in doing so.
    This is a Jerry Jones esque level ing up of the entire concept of being a GM.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the silver lining Popsucker take is that we are tanking so hard and want to tank the tankiest of all tanks that we actually tank our own lottery pick to ensure our next pick is even higher? Wut?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sir, 38 inch verticals aren’t run of the mill�� we will see very soon if Patfo were misguided; I bet the rest of the league is second guessing themselves about primo!
    Actually, in a guard, these days that is pretty pedestrian. I mean, you had a guy jump 10” higher at the combine this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mm, dunno. He projected as late 1st round at best this year and potential lottery next. Falling into the 2nd this year would have been a disaster compared to the jack he'd make next time around as a lottery. I mean, it worked for him, but it's strange.

I don't know his or his family's financial situation, but I guess I'd look at someone like Tre Jones as a worst case scenario, and he made $900,000 this year and will make $1.5mil next season. For a lot of people that's a permanent financial fix, with the prospect of much more coming down the road, so I can totally understand going for that instead of returning to a college that doesn't looked primed to do anything especially unique, and risking injury.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun being there would have been a better risk/reward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily. Maybe Sengun busts completely. I doubt it, but he could. But at least he can contribute right away. Even if he's a Luis Scola redux, he's something we don't have on this squad.

I'll never really understand it. Maybe they didn't want to deal with a non-English speaker or he's a supporter of Erdogan or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep hearing over and over that players like primo and luka get drafted for their potential in 2 years, or that they don't think they'll be available in the 2nd round so they drafted earlier than they should. Why not draft a player that can help immediately ? They were available.
    Do you really think that developing in Austin against G-league talent is better than developing on an NBA bench playing against NBA talent. All star compe ion in the G-league is not all star compe ion in the NBA. If Luka averages 8 pts and 5 rebounds a game next season, we are all going to go nuts, but think of all the players picked after Luka that have done that already for two years. Now think if Primo averages 8 pts per game 3 years from now, think how well known players like Sengun or Duarte or even Kispert will be be doing next season and the season after that. Again they were available.

To add insult to injury they will be paying Primo a top salary to play against G League talent making 100 times less.

I know I know experience and repi ions, but after two years where has that gotten Samanic. I just dont think that's all that great of a strategy for drafting players especially in the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think timvp may have been correct in ruling out sengun to the spurs before the draft based on how the spurs have moved away from the post-up philosophy. sengun, for now at least, is a low blocks player that the spurs would have had to turn into a stretch 4 and so i wasn't shocked that sengun was left on the board.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That pick felt like our Anfernee Simons pick and so far that has had middling results for Portland.

I like the kid's youth, perimeter shooting ability and defensive potential, but his lack of explosiveness athletically is very, very concerning.

He'll have to become a lot better and a more dynamic ballhandler to compensate for that lack of vertical pop/explosive first - step.
    He will need to develop old man game like James Harden.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know his or his family's financial situation, but I guess I'd look at someone like Tre Jones as a worst case scenario, and he made $900,000 this year and will make $1.5mil next season. For a lot of people that's a permanent financial fix, with the prospect of much more coming down the road, so I can totally understand going for that instead of returning to a college that doesn't looked primed to do anything especially unique, and risking injury.
    Second round is still always a risk because you can still get cut and not make the team. Once that happens then you are looking at possibly going to G-league or Europe. Europe is also more compe ive now from what I have heard it's not as easy to make a ton of money down there for an American like it once was 10 years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think timvp may have been correct in ruling out sengun to the spurs before the draft based on how the spurs have moved away from the post-up philosophy. sengun, for now at least, is a low blocks player that the spurs would have had to turn into a stretch 4 and so i wasn't shocked that sengun was left on the board.
    It'll be interesting to see how he plays alongside Jalen Green in Houston. Rockets have some mismatched parts and may need to make trades, but there are some good things going on there.

Thread Information