Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting to see how he plays alongside Jalen Green in Houston. Rockets have some mismatched parts and may need to make trades, but there are some good things going on there.
    yeah-i thought houston had a solid night. sengun might fit next to wood as more traditional 4 and, of course, green will make them better in all kinds of ways. picking up garuba was a nice addition as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have no idea what their board looked like.
    Yea we do... they said they were taking BPA...they made a selection...case closed on that.. you may think their board is wrong (I think their board is wrong) but there board was what it was...and you or I disagreeing with their order doesn't change their view.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My problem is that the spurs didn't pick the BPA. The player with the most upside left at the time they picked Primo was the 18 year old who dominated the third best basketball league in the world. He is barely a few months older than Primo and had a way stronger resume than any 18-19 year old including those who were picked ahead of him. If his defense was the sticking point, there are more ways to iron that out over time than they are with Primo. What a bad miss by PATFO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While the Spurs' scouting ability should still get the benefit of the doubt in my opinion, I don't think their developmental ability should. I don't know that they've done an above-average job with a player in a long time. So no, I don't think the idea of drafting Samanic as a two-year d-league project or stowing Primo away is a good idea. That's not the way most teams develop their top prospects, and it shouldn't be the way a team with such a lack of talent does so either. Doing so suggests the team is still a contender that has a full 10-man rotation and can't afford to give minutes to developmental players. That's not even close to true anymore. Devin Booker stared 51 games and averaged 28 minutes his rookie season despite being 18 years old when the season started. Giannis was starting two weeks after his 19th birthday. If you don't think Primo is good enough to unseat ing Tre Jones, you can't draft him at 12. You just can't. Samanic should've been in the running for starting PF going into last year. Nothing about Lyles or that goddamned tiny hydra lineup should've stopped him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea we do... they said they were taking BPA...they made a selection...case closed on that.. you may think their board is wrong (I think their board is wrong) but there board was what it was...and you or I disagreeing with their order doesn't change their view.
    Um... we don't know what their board looked like. We know what they said. We don't how what the truth is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the silver lining Popsucker take is that we are tanking so hard and want to tank the tankiest of all tanks that we actually tank our own lottery pick to ensure our next pick is even higher? Wut?
    Pretty much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't the time to be doing a "draft and stash" as if we're in the mid-2000s dynasty. We needed somebody who can make an immediate impact.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... we don't know what their board looked like. We know what they said. We don't how what the truth is.
    Well, I guess we can assume they were sitting there and had somebody higher than Primo on their board and just said...well it, let's screw with the fan base for s and giggles...

It makes no logical sense for any GM to put himself on the line like that... So we can deduce that Primo was the top of their board at 12...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks TimVP for your article writeup. Well... Idunno about this one.... Beyond a head scratcher... It was funny when the website crashed last night after the pick, though! You talk about the ST posters having a meltdown! Any who, as the smoke is starting to settle a little bit, like everyone else, I'm trying to wrap my mind around this pick by PATFO! From the commentators last night on the draft, to the post draft discussion panel on NBA TV, everyone looked shocked & didn't really know how to comment on the matter, so they just rolled to the next draft pick. I just thought that Sengun would be the best pick at 12 since he was available... but in the NBA, when the NBA goes right, the Spurs go left! I just hope they know what they are doing here. I understand that they were locked in on this guy because of his character & IQ and all, & he has a nice shooter's touch. Yeah, that's nice; that is fine & dandy, but at 18 & a whole lot of development to go, he's pretty much a draft & stash in the G-League for a year or two, perhaps. Is he insurance just in case if LW4 doesn't pan out? Well, perhaps, but to me, wings & SG's are dime a dozen! Just look at our roster for starters, before we go out to get someone from free agency! I'm sure that PATFO's vision is to have players who are positionless, & Primo may eventually fit that mold, but Duarte was there; so was Moody; Kispert, even; and Murphy, Mann, Jalen Johnson & Keon Johnson; even Isaiah Jackson was available! And any one of these guys could address immediate needs in the wing or SG positions, since PATFO seems to be infatuated with these positions! Oh well, just venting, but with free agency coming up, I'm expecting PATFO to make a BIG SPLASH with F/A signings such as with Collins at ATL, & perhaps make good choices with signing some other productive bench players who can space the floor & play defense. They will have all of that cap space, so, hopefully, they will have success there & won't disappoint, but with this team, I'm not going to hold my breath or I'll be dead, 50 times over! I'm looking forward to the press conference as the Spurs will be introducing both Primo & Wieskamp, soon, to hear what Wright & the new draftees have to say. Also will be looking forward to Summer League in August to see these guys in action. Hopefully they will not disappoint & prove us wrong! GSG!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d note that a couple of times I saw rumors …. They are out there and not made up but dont ask me to find them bc I dont have time for that… anyways, the local SA media commented that the Spurs worked out and looked at a lot of guards. I remember the fans, mostly led by Dejounte bc hes the most thorough with scouting as its a hobby I think, looked at other kind of prospects besides the guards that were slotted high in the lottery. No one was combing the guards who were unheralded and projected later.

I kind of referenced it in a few posts in the predraft thread, but Ill be the first to admit I had no interest whatsoever in combing out through the lower ranked guards to find some that I liked. Even if I had done that I couldn’t have predicted this pick.

For the future, pay attention to good performers at the combine bc White, Samanic and now Primo were all combine standouts, and pay attention to the guards. They clearly don’t mind being guard heavy and here we are.

Thanks for the insight to all who scouted him some, since this guy was nowhere in my radar. Its why I find being laid back about the draft works out the best for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting to see how he plays alongside Jalen Green in Houston. Rockets have some mismatched parts and may need to make trades, but there are some good things going on there.
    Unless the Thunder subsequently flipped him, he’s in OKC, not Houston. OKC picked Sengun with #16.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also thanks for your candid impressions TimvP appreciate it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Thunder subsequently flipped him, he’s in OKC, not Houston. OKC picked Sengun with #16.
    OKC traded pick 16 to Houston for 2 future heavily protected firsts via Washington and Detroit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d note that a couple of times I saw rumors …. They are out there and not made up but dont ask me to find them bc I dont have time for that… anyways, the local SA media commented that the Spurs worked out and looked at a lot of guards. I remember the fans, mostly led by Dejounte bc hes the most thorough with scouting as its a hobby I think, looked at other kind of prospects besides the guards that were slotted high in the lottery. No one was combing the guards who were unheralded and projected later.

I kind of referenced it in a few posts in the predraft thread, but Ill be the first to admit I had no interest whatsoever in combing out through the lower ranked guards to find some that I liked. Even if I had done that I couldn’t have predicted this pick.

For the future, pay attention to good performers at the combine bc White, Samanic and now Primo were all combine standouts, and pay attention to the guards. They clearly don’t mind being guard heavy and here we are.

Thanks for the insight to all who scouted him some, since this guy was nowhere in my radar. Its why I find being laid back about the draft works out the best for me.
    They (Wieskamp and Primo) were also reported to have workouts with the Spurs so that’s a key thing to lookout for in future pre-draft speculation. It was out in the open. Not very secret.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, they had three first rounder from last night? Oh, and they picked up a future first from Utah for eating Favors contract.

They’ve got so many picks, eventually it will just become the Thundraft, sponsored by the NBA.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "My" board was a straight theft of Pelton's.
    Why do I like the Primo pick? Primo was 14th on my list. AKA, a lottery pick.
    Why don't I like the Primo pick? At the time of the pick Primo was 8th on my board.
    Who was 7th at the time of the 12th pick? Weiskamp.

BTW, Pelton is an extreme numbers guy. Primo at 14 means, Primo had better numbers than eight eye-tested players drafted ahead of Primo.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll bet there's at least three busts 11-20, so Spurs won't be alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's premature to say anything until we know who is coaching the spurs this year and next. if pop circles the drain, then blind picking prospects may be the only strategy. We just have to accept that this team is going to fully bottom out before rising. And i mean that saying goodbye to pafto. What i mean, is that when the new coach comes in, they should preferably have a true lower lottery pick to rebuild the team and a set of young role players, and a few draft trade agreements . So swinging for the big star, despite having the capspace to do so, may be punted for two years to let Pop stat pad for up to two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "My" board was a straight theft of Pelton's.
    Why do I like the Primo pick? Primo was 14th on my list. AKA, a lottery pick.
    Why don't I like the Primo pick? At the time of the pick Primo was 8th on my board.
    Who was 7th at the time of the 12th pick? Weiskamp.

BTW, Pelton is an extreme numbers guy. Primo at 14 means, Primo had better numbers than eight eye-tested players drafted ahead of Primo.
    There's no way this is possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelton's stat based projection list-- probably can't see if you don't have ESPN+.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...stats-scouting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way this is possible.
    For context Pelton had Sengun number 1 on his board. Below are Primo and Wieskamp.

14. Joshua Primo

Guard | Alabama
    Top 100: No. 25
    Stats: No. 14

Consensus: 1.3 WARP
    Age is the biggest selling point for Primo, the youngest player in this year's top 100. He won't turn 19 until December. Given how much younger he was than his opponents, Primo was effective at Alabama as a part-time starter, knocking down 38% of his 3-point attempts.

18. Joe Wieskamp

Forward | Iowa
    Top 100: No. 52
    Stats: No. 13

Consensus: 0.9 WARP
    Given the nearly 40-spot difference between Kispert and Wieskamp in the top 100, their statistical projections are remarkably similar -- and even favor Wieskamp defensively. He was the slightly better catch-and-shoot option, shooting an effective 65% on such attempts last season according to Synergy Sports, good for 10th among players with at least 100 attempts. (Kispert was 18th at 63%.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelton's 2020 list :
    1.LaMelo
    2.Haliburton
    3.Edwards
    16.Wiseman
    31.Toppin

Some misses too of course.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...p-30-prospects

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with all Spurs' abilities is that they are outdated and do not correspond with current team needs and roster, so don't correspond with the reality. The whole strategy for 20 years was finding and creating good system players to support stars. The Spurs did it masterfully. Today it's different totally task, there is no Duncan shoulders to carry the team, but Pop or RC doesn't have abilities or experience in transforming an average team into contender. Surely it affects not only drafting, but also developing players. Personal skills are as important as basketball, all the Spurs stuff about which there is a lot of moaning at the Olympics.
    So for me the logic behind Primo's pick is that he can be really the best player by the Spurs outdated metrics and they truly believe to that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For context Pelton had Sengun number 1 on his board. Below are Primo and Wieskamp.

14. Joshua Primo

Guard | Alabama
    Top 100: No. 25
    Stats: No. 14
    Consensus: 1.3 WARP
    Age is the biggest selling point for Primo, the youngest player in this year's top 100. He won't turn 19 until December. Given how much younger he was than his opponents, Primo was effective at Alabama as a part-time starter, knocking down 38% of his 3-point attempts.

18. Joe Wieskamp

Forward | Iowa
    Top 100: No. 52
    Stats: No. 13
    Consensus: 0.9 WARP
    Given the nearly 40-spot difference between Kispert and Wieskamp in the top 100, their statistical projections are remarkably similar -- and even favor Wieskamp defensively. He was the slightly better catch-and-shoot option, shooting an effective 65% on such attempts last season according to Synergy Sports, good for 10th among players with at least 100 attempts. (Kispert was 18th at 63%.)

Well, now we know how the FO targets players. They just subscribe to Pelton's scouting reports on ESPN+. The code has been cracked!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, now we know how the FO targets players. They just subscribe to Pelton's scouting reports on ESPN+. The code has been cracked!
    I have to admit there’s some good value out of the free trials I get. I doubt the Spurs pay for it, just use multiple emails.

Thread Information