Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moses Moody will have a better NBA career.
    Really? You just talking for the sake of talking�� How the do you know that? I got you..... you don’t!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? You just talking for the sake of talking�� How the do you know that? I got you..... you don’t!
    Moses Moody is already better and NBA ready.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question is. Will Pop let him run with the big team during his first year as he did with keldon?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The draft position and the team need one could argue necessitated a pick that could contribute immediately

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not likely as most people stop growing by 18. Did you grow much taller after you graduated high school?
    The human body isn't fully developed until age 25. Plenty of players grow from when they are drafted. Look at Giannis when he was drafted vs now. And my personal anecdote means nothing here as I am not blessed with nba genes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe primo will be our starting pg in the future......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah

Primo will be fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slurpers will convince themselves that anything this FO does is amazing. It's uncanny.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I would have wanted Sengun, the spurs were never going to draft him because of Poeltl. Sengun right now can only play center so there is no way you could have ever paired him and Poeltl together. I feel like if we did not have Poeltl then Sengun might have been the pick.

I'm not thrilled with picking Primo at 12 but I can see why they did pick him. Between Lonnie, Tre, Weatherspoon, and I hate to say it but White because of injury concerns, one or two of these 4 guys are probably going to wash out and not bee in SA for longer than 2 more years.

I thought white might be somebody who was off the table but right now him and primo have similar games. I've heard that any type of trade package any team wants from the spurs always has either dejounte or derrick in them. I wonder now that they drafted primo well they be more open to trading Derrick for something that they need.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think pop likes Derrick more than Dejounte to lead the team.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    i'll wait and see if the Spurs involve any of the other guards in the roster in any trades in the next couple weeks before i fully decide if i hate this pick or not. If they trade someone and relieve the logjam so this kid has a path to minutes, the pick makes a lot more sense. i've been watching videos of him the last few days and he's got talent and his shot is pretty pure. Spurs are generally only good at drafting and considering most picks are busts anyway they do a good job of finding rotation guys at the very least, so just gotta hope whatever they see in this kid truly blossoms

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 18 and can shoot already. His playing in the combine likely played a part in him moving up in the draft. Wishing the young man well!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like I said he's very advanced for his age. Nobody on our team can shoot 3s off the dribble like that. Most guys can't even shoot 35% from 3, let alone shake a defender and hit the pull up on a stepback

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like I said he's very advanced for his age. Nobody on our team can shoot 3s off the dribble like that. Most guys can't even shoot 35% from 3, let alone shake a defender and hit the pull up on a stepback
    it's just a workout but I’m with you. The team needs a player who is/ or will become a shot creator and be a go to guy on offense. Hopefully Primo is that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to over haul the front office. Get some guys who have the balls to make bold moves and get active with trades.
    You don't think taking a player far higher than his pre-draft mockings is, if nothing else, a bold move?

That would be stupid and a bad front office move to make promises without knowing who will be available on draft night.
    Teams make draft promises every year without knowing who'll be on the board come draft night. The Spurs themselves have made promises in the past. You completely misunderstood Chinook's post, which argued to the contrary regarding a possible Primo promise, and are still wrong.

His shot is not all that special. I see it hitting back iron when going in so not a pure fire top level future shooter. The best shooters hit nothing but net as they have the proper arc trajection.
    Multiple videos ITT show him hitting nothing but net in workouts and games. His Combine game had nothing-but-net 3's, look closer.

Not likely as most people stop growing by 18. Did you grow much taller after you graduated high school?
    It was literally reported and posted in this very thread that Primo had X-Rays done which showed his growth plates haven't closed yet, by far the biggest indicator of when a person stops growing. As others said, exactly the same happened with Giannis, who sure as grew a couple inches after being drafted.

Yeah, no. That was the cherry on top of your stream-of-consciousness bad takes, my guy. "Fattie"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More nice handles

The good pass I was talking about earlier
    I'm officially on board. I can absolutely see the Harden comps, that handles video is picture-perfect Harden ISO handles. Was only missing the step-back 3 at the end, which other videos show he can pull off. Just a matter of putting it all together.

Man, I know he's kind of slotted as a SG, but if his passing ability keeps improving, I don't see why you couldn't play him at PG. I skimmed over the Combine game and he had some real nice possessions. His ball handling, fluidity on the move, and quick-thinking skills all stood out. That pass you posted (are you going to fill the void DrewShow left by posting YouTube clip highlights, D? I'm all for it if you spare us the wacko-persona ) is extremely fluid, reminded me of a Luka pass, where you can see he's composed on the court and just looking at the opportunities as they come in the flow of the game. I watch him play and think about Dejounte, who's so... Mechanical with his game, and especially his passing, and it's night & day.

I'm hoping some trade materializes still, but I'm liking the pick more and more. If the Spurs FO sees him as our future starting combo guard, he's definitely worth the pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People talking about the logjam at guard, but Primo can play a small wing. Wieskamp is definitely a wing, Primo will eventually play 1-3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm officially on board. I can absolutely see the Harden comps, that handles video is picture-perfect Harden ISO handles. Was only missing the step-back 3 at the end, which other videos show he can pull off. Just a matter of putting it all together.

Man, I know he's kind of slotted as a SG, but if his passing ability keeps improving, I don't see why you couldn't play him at PG. I skimmed over the Combine game and he had some real nice possessions. His ball handling, fluidity on the move, and quick-thinking skills all stood out. That pass you posted (are you going to fill the void DrewShow left by posting YouTube clip highlights, D? I'm all for it if you spare us the wacko-persona ) is extremely fluid, reminded me of a Luka pass, where you can see he's composed on the court and just looking at the opportunities as they come in the flow of the game. I watch him play and think about Dejounte, who's so... Mechanical with his game, and especially his passing, and it's night & day.

I'm hoping some trade materializes still, but I'm liking the pick more and more. If the Spurs FO sees him as our future starting combo guard, he's definitely worth the pick.
    Several people have been saying he’s a PG but I don’t see it. He’s not quick enough to chase 1’s full-time. I noted earlier that in the combine he was guarding Hauser, Reaves, and Juzang who are 6’8”, 6’6”, and 6’7” respectively. Primo was not overmatched at all. And now I’m going through college tape and he is consistently shown to be effective when assigned to defend other wings, like Trendon Watford who is 6’8”. Primo’s frame is big, and he is more of a vertical defender than one who stays with his man laterally. He is great at holding down his position against guys with strength. He has good fundamentals on defense too: arms up all the time.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 07-31-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People talking about the logjam at guard, but Primo can play a small wing. Wieskamp is definitely a wing, Primo will eventually play 1-3.

+1

And even if all develop well. You could have a murray white walker vassell primo playing the 1-2-3 with johnson at the 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as giving Primo ball handling opportunities, I am all for it. His handle gives him shot creation upside and he’s crafty with his passes. He was playing in that scrimmage like it was an All-Star game. I can’t wait for the summer league games to see more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we need to keep our expectations in check here.

I believe he offers some interesting Physical tools and Offensive skills but his Defence for me is the big Q mark.
    I’m not sure he has a position he can effectively check…yet.

That in all likelihood will determine whether he gets on the floor early in his career.
    He has length, yes, but not the foot-speed or strength to effectively guard a position.

Looking forward to watching him in Summer League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three years ago, Chris Cheng walked into a gym in the Toronto suburbs and saw something he had never seen before.
    The head basketball coach at the University of Windsor, Cheng was there to scout other players.
    But as the day went on, Cheng could not take his eyes off a kid who seemed so young he might have pedaled to the game on training wheels.
    Josh Primo was 15 at the time, playing with and against players two years his senior. At first glance, he looked to be about 11.
    “He’s always had that baby face,” Cheng said. “But then you see the way he is on the court and you think there’s no way he’s that age. He didn’t back down from anyone.”
    As an assistant coach for Canada’s junior national team, Cheng would come to see much more of Primo since that day in 2018.
    Over time, Cheng grew to understand this much about the tenderfoot guard from Alabama the Spurs stunned the NBA world by drafting 12th overall Thursday: Underestimate Primo at your own risk.
    No matter the level, no matter the compe ion, Cheng said, Primo always looks like he belongs.
    “He plays against older guys and never looks out of place,” Cheng said. “He’s absolutely fearless.”
    It took a later conversation with an NBA scout friend for Cheng’s thoughts about Primo to fully crystallize.
    “(The scout) said, ‘His mannerisms, compe iveness, the lion in him — it reminds me of Kobe Bryant when he was that age,’” Cheng recalled. “He has that swag.”
    Don’t get it twisted. Nobody in San Antonio or anyplace else is expecting the youngest player in this year’s draft pool to morph into one of the greatest players of all time.
    Up until two months ago, most draft analysts projected Primo — who will not turn 19 until Christmas Eve — to drop into the second round.
    In using their second consecutive lottery pick on the 6-foot-6 Primo, the Spurs are betting that his blend of skills, outsized confidence and sky-is-the-limit growth potential eventually can make him into one of the stars of this year’s draft class.
    To Spurs general manager Brian Wright, Primo’s youth was not a detriment but a selling point.
    “He was the equivalent of a high school senior playing starter level minutes in the SEC,” Wright said. “We do think there is big upside there, and he will continue to improve.”
    Primo’s early selection was perhaps the surprise of Thursday’s draft.
    There were more established, NBA-ready prospects available at No. 12, among them Arkansas guard Moses Moody, sharpshooting Gonzaga forward Corey Kispert and Turkish phenom Alperen Sengun.
    The Spurs instead took a player who looks like he still gets carded at Chuck E. Cheese.
    Even Primo admitted he was not expecting to hear his name called so early.
    Not among the prospects invited to await his big moment inside the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Primo watched the draft with friends and family at the Hunt and Fish Club, a steak and seafood restaurant across the East River in Manhattan.
    When Primo’s agent, Todd Ramasar, informed him of the Spurs’ choice, the teenager broke down.
    “I let my emotions flow,” Primo said. “It was an amazing moment for me and my family, to know that I was able to go to the Spurs.”
    Young and restless
    Raised primarily by his father, Michael, after the death of his mother, Sandra, in November 2012, Primo grew up with an older brother, also named Michael, and older sister Keisha.
    Primo said he felt his late mother’s presence with the Spurs on the clock at No. 12.
    “She was born Jan. 12,” said Primo, who was 9 when his mother died. “So it was amazing to honor her by getting drafted (12th) like this.”
    Primo’s rocket ship ride to the NBA lottery has been the stuff of a Jeff Bezos fever dream.
    A native of Toronto, Primo spent time at five high schools — including prep schools in West Virginia and Arizona — before deciding to press fast forward on his NBA dream.
    With enough credits to graduate early, Primo reclassified as a senior midway through his 11th-grade year at Compass Prep in Chandler, Ariz. He returned to Toronto to finish school and graduate early.
    In April 2020, Primo signed with Alabama, instantly becoming the youngest player in all of college basketball at age 17. By late December, coach Nate Oats had elevated Primo to the Crimson Tide starting lineup.
    Primo started 19 of Alabama’s 33 games as a freshman, averaging 8.1 points and shooting 38.1 percent from 3-point range.
    Though his final college numbers don’t pop off a page, a pair of sweet-shooting 22-point games against LSU and rival Auburn gave hint at Primo’s untapped potential.
    “In some of those, he was as good as anybody on the floor,” Oats said. “And he was 17 years old.”
    Playing beyond his years
    The ability to hold his own with older players has been a lifelong theme for Primo.
    Before landing at Alabama, Primo spent time with Canada’s junior national team, where at age 16 he was the youngest player on the squad.
    Cheng was an assistant coach with Team Canada at the 2019 Under-19 FIBA World Cup in Greece.
    He noticed how Primo gravitated to older players on the team, including A.J. Lawson, who this week signed with the Miami Heat; Karim Mane, who last season enjoyed a cup of cappuccino with Orlando; and Matthew Alexander-Moncrieffe, who played alongside No. 1 overall pick Cade Cunningham at Oklahoma State last season.
    “He would surround himself with guys who were at the level he aspired to be at,” Cheng said. “I hardly ever saw him playing with his own age group.”
    Assigned as Primo’s primary film partner in Greece, Cheng quickly recognized his new pupil’s basketball a en in the video room.
    “He saw things himself that I would have to point out to other young players,” Cheng said. “He has one of those minds.”
    After Alabama’s 2020-21 season ended with a Sweet 16 loss to UCLA, Primo decided to dip his toes in the NBA draft waters.
    The plan was for Primo to wade through the early part of the process, see where he stood, then return to Alabama for his sop re season if he didn’t get answers he liked.
    “A lot of people had me written off for this draft and had me in 2022,” Primo said. “What I just wanted to do was come in and work as hard as possible and just see where things went from there.”
    At first, those in Primo’s orbit assumed he would be back in Tuscaloosa in the fall.
    “I thought he was going to go back,” Cheng said. “He thought he was going to go back. Then he went to the combine and his agent started telling him, ‘I think you’ve got a chance here.’”
    Shooting up the draft board
    At the Chicago combine, the Spurs were impressed with a versatility Primo had not yet been asked to display in college.
    At Alabama, Primo had been deployed primarily as a spot-up shooter.
    “When we got to the combine, we saw him in a completely different role,” Wright said. “We saw him playing some point guard at times, playing off the ball and creating at times. You saw flashes that you would see in season.”
    The Spurs were not the only team to take note of Primo’s new bag of tricks. As the buzz around him began to grow, with a first-round selection now seeming not only possible but probable, Primo stayed in the draft.
    Though most mock drafts heading into Thursday had Primo slotted in the 20s, the Spurs believed they were going to face compe ion for him much earlier than that.
    According to a Sports Illustrated report, Charlotte was considering Primo at No. 11 before Connecticut’s James Bouknight surprisingly slid.
    Oklahoma City, with picks at No. 16 and No. 18, also was thought to be interested, as was Atlanta at No. 20.
    As the Spurs’ turn came up at No. 12, the mood in their draft room galvanized around the belief that if the team wanted Primo, now was the time.
    “We thought Josh was the best decision we could make for our organization moving forward at the time we picked him up,” Wright said.
    ‘No pressure from us’
    What happens next for Primo remains to be seen.
    At 18 years and 217 days, Primo is the youngest player drafted by the Spurs since they joined the NBA in 1976. He will be the youngest player to enter the league since Milwaukee drafted future MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2013.
    Had Primo elected to play a second college season, NBA scouts expect he would have vaulted into top-10 territory in the 2022 draft.
    The Spurs are wagering that spending the next year in their own development program will accelerate Primo’s learning curve.
    In the short term, the Spurs aim to keep expectations low for their newest wunderkind.
    “Josh’s development timeline will be Josh’s development timeline,” Wright said. “I think what we are focused on is the type of person he is, the work he will put in to continue improving his craft, and how he will impact our team long term.
    “There is no pressure from us.”
    For now, Primo will play with the club’s summer league squad beginning next week in Salt Lake City and then Las Vegas. A G League stint is almost certain once the regular season begins in October.
    Those who know Primo best say he is up for whatever challenge awaits.
    “How much he’s going to help this year, I don’t know,” Oats said. “He’s so young, but he’s going to be really, really good in the near future. There’s no red flags that will deter him from reaching his potential.”
    For Cheng, it is not a matter of if Primo will become a productive NBA player, but when.
    And he believes the answer will come sooner that most people expect.
    Watching the NBA draft on television Thursday, Cheng said he was struck by the moment Primo’s name was called.
    On the screen before him, Cheng saw the same baby face he remembered from that Toronto gym three years ago.
    The lion inside Primo is certain to follow him to San Antonio, too.
    “The Spurs got a good one,” Cheng said. “He’s going to be a really good pro for a really long time.”

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...h-16354837.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine how good he's going to look after playing his first two seasons in Austin!

Thread Information