Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High school scouting report
    Date: 2/20

Versatile guard who is more of a secondary ball handler right now but should be a playmaker who can score and create regardless of position. Has smooth stroke with ability to hit shots off the catch and pull from both midrange and three. Also has impressive touch on floater. Changes speeds well off bounce. High feel usually aids his shot selection; doesn’t typically force too many bad shots. Combination of size, long/lean frame and feel give him potential as a multi-positional defender as he gets stronger. Has pretty safe floor to go with a very high upside given his potential on both sides of the court. High major starter with normal continued development.”

https://247sports.com/player/josh-primo-46059188/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you sure write long posts

Yes, he does. But I was disappointed in that one, since he didn’t show any creative use of fonts, or include any tweets or instagram pix. It was beneath the standards we’ve come to expect. Can’t expect a guy to be at the top of his game all the time, tho, and I hope he perks up soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s take a step back…

which player(s) are you upset about the Spurs not drafting?

if it’s one player, like say Sengun, what led you to the conclusion that he’s guaranteed to be something special? Is it your superior scouting skills? Or the consensus of mock drafts floating online? Next, you listed players that Presti had missed out on, so is it safe to say your scouting skills are perfect or the consensus of mock drafts have never been wrong?

just working out your logic here. There are two separate hot topics about the draft:

1) that there was definitely player or players that the Spurs missed the boat on
    2) they could have traded down (which has been disproven already by multiple reports)

we are arguing point 1. Just to be clear.

now, if we’re arguing playerS (plural), well it’s not a stretch that there could be ONE good player out of six players that could become good that the Spurs passed up on. You’re not actually making a hard prediction there.
    The point was that presti passing on a player doesn't equal the player being not good enough to draft

, presti passed on Primo when he had a chance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1/23/21 Article on Josh Primo

“… He’s progressed a lot. He’s come along, man. Like when he first got here, he was a nervous little freshman -- just how I was when I was a freshman. There’s a lot of older guys on this team. We all just try to give him confidence every day and give him little pointers every now and then. But he’s a very fast learner, so we’ve just been learning off of each other. We’ve been playing well together, I feel like, when me and him are on the court together.“

“He came in, played the first handful of games at 17 years old,” Oats said. “He’s young, looks young, at times, played like he was young, but you always could see the potential. You knew what he was capable of doing based on what you saw him doing in practice. And he spends so much time in the gym. He’s one of the biggest gym rats we have on the team. You knew that if he just kept working that good things are gonna happen.
    “Now, nobody could have predicted he’s gonna score 14 of the first 16 points we scored against Auburn or go 6-of-8 from three at LSU like he’s done, so he’s exceeding expectations in that regard. I think he’s got a lot more room to grow. His ceiling’s much higher than what he’s even showing. We’re just gonna keep working, working, working until we get him a lot closer to that ceiling.”

And Oats and company believe the freshman guard is just getting started.
    “I think he’s gonna be a guy that when he leaves here and goes plays professionally, he’s gonna continue to get better because he spends so much time in the gym and he’s 6-6 with a huge wingspan, weighs almost 200 pounds and is athletic,” Oats said. “He’s got all of those things that you can’t coach, and then he’s super coachable on top of that stuff. Really happy for him. He’s a great kid. If you have any conversations with him, he’s just all about the right stuff.
    “A great kid to have in our program, and he’s really helped us in our culture this year.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Alabam...row-159779799/
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-01-2021 at 09:15 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High school scouting report
    Date: 2/20

Versatile guard who is more of a secondary ball handler right now but should be a playmaker who can score and create regardless of position. Has smooth stroke with ability to hit shots off the catch and pull from both midrange and three. Also has impressive touch on floater. Changes speeds well off bounce. High feel usually aids his shot selection; doesn’t typically force too many bad shots. Combination of size, long/lean frame and feel give him potential as a multi-positional defender as he gets stronger. Has pretty safe floor to go with a very high upside given his potential on both sides of the court. High major starter with normal continued development.”

https://247sports.com/player/josh-primo-46059188/
    Worth mentioning again that he was supposed to be a high school senior this last year. Instead he was playing college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12/10/21 Article on Josh Primo

Quote is from a senior (at the time) and fellow NBA draftee, Herb Jones, saying this about a freshman:

There is plenty of basketball in front of the talented freshman, and his ability is starting to show on the court. But something his new teammates have noticed is the newcomer’s effort.

“He’s a great player,” said senior wing Herbert Jones on Thursday’s Zoom call. “He plays hard. He can defend well. He can shoot the ball well. He can handle the ball well. He doesn’t have a lot of holes in his game. I mean, I try to play as hard as him at times. He doesn’t know that, but yeah, I try to play as hard as him most times.”

https://247sports.com/college/alabam...all-156570343/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6/5/2020 Article on Josh Primo:

As Boone pointed out, guards thrive in Oats’ system, and several talented guards flourished in his tenure at Buffalo -- and even Alabama last year. But Primo stands out to the coach.

“I think he’s got higher upside than all of them,” Oats told 247Sports last month. “He’s like a 6-6 point guard/combo guard, so he’s got size, and he’s a great kid. If you go back to the Buffalo days, we had some pretty good guards there, and that’s why we made it up to 14th in the country. But C.J. Massinburg, a really high character guy, Davonta Jordan, Wes Clark played for me in high school. Those guys all love basketball, high-character kids. Josh is the same way.

“He’s just 6-6 and really athletic, so that’s why he’s projected out a little higher than maybe some of those other guys. Hopefully, we get him down here and he’s as good or better than advertised. Obviously, he’s never done it at a college level, but he’s played on an international level, playing on the Canadian national team. He was the youngest guy in Greece last summer and the youngest guy on any of those teams from across the world. I think he’s got a really, really high upside, he loves basketball, wants to be in the gym and he’s a great, great kid, too.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the few draft related podcasts that had predraft coverage of Primo, Upside Swings

June 19th episode

Primo talk is near the end, about an hour in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quotes from Primo, right before the draft:

“Going into this season, what I figured out was just really trying to find out what my team needed most. Really just adapting to what my team needs from me. Whether that’s leadership or type of energy I need to bring, I really just focused on that. If it needs to be defensively, it’ll be defensively. If it’s offensively, it’s offensively. Sometimes it’s just lifting up my teammates. I can do all those things and am able to adapt.”

Additionally, the days of playing just one position are over. The best players in the world are able to play at least two positions as the game shifts to a more positionless style. Luckily for Primo, he fits that mold and understands the direction the NBA is going.

“I think this game has become more or less positionless. I’m able to play one through three and defend those positions as well. I think I’ll be able to fit well in this positionless league,” said Primo.

At 6-foot-6, Primo can shoot, facilitate, pass, defend and be an influential leader on the court. He’s also ambidextrous, saying that the only reason he shoots with his right hand is because that’s how his dad taught him, but everything else he does with his left hand.

In terms of a successful rookie season, Primo has his mind set on accomplishing his team’s goals. With the versatility he brings, he can fill any role he needs to and help impact winning immediately. With that in mind, he laid out a few goals for his first NBA season.

“I want the team that I’m on to have achieved the goals that they set out," said the projected first-round pick. "Second, being one of the most influential rookies, a guy that affects the game from the start. Being that guy with the energy all year that was able to help his team be successful through what he’s able to do. I think I’m a very intellectual player, someone who can read defenses well, offenses well, and adapt very quickly. Being able to adapt to whatever situation I’m in. I’m able to mold myself into anything I need to be.”

Primo has the right mindset and vision to be end up being one of the biggest steals in his class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....oungest-player
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-01-2021 at 09:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worth mentioning again that he was supposed to be a high school senior this last year. Instead he was playing college.
    one way to view it is that we drafted the first high school player since 2006.

we never drafted those kind of projects in our golden era, this should be fun to see if he becomes TMac or Jonathan Bender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a basketball savant that is the same age as an essentially straight from high school prospect. There was another notable prodigious high school age player taken for his potential around 12 in the 90s.

Are we convinced Sengun or Moody was the key to this orgs future? Time will tell. I liked Sengun but teams are privy to so much more in the way of workouts and meetings that I won’t pretend to know something they don’t.

The shock of this will pass. As the dust has settled, circling back to primo and doing a more in depth dive on him, it’s clear why this pick was made. He was the orgs best chance at a franchise altering talent in the first round of this draft and I’m confident time will bear that out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These quotes are the most telling for me:

He knows that this is an advantage for him and looks forward to the challenge. Being the intelligent young player that he is, Primo understands how impactful playing with professionals will be from a development standpoint.

“The best part about it is knowing that I’m going to learn so much at this age that I’m at right now,” said the Alabama prospect. “Being able to come into the league and learn those things first hand that I might not have learned going back an extra year. I know that at 21 or 22, I’m going to be a lot better off for this. I’ll have that much more knowledge.”

By the time Primo is 25, he’ll be an NBA veteran with upwards of seven years of experience. To the right team, that makes him as attractive as nearly any prospect.
    With that in mind, being the youngest guy on the court isn’t anything new to Primo.

He represented Canada in the 2019 FIBA Under-19 Basketball World Cup at just 16 years old as the youngest player on the team. Additionally, in both high school and AAU basketball, he frequently played with guys many years older than him.

Primo considers playing up as something that’s helped him get to where he is now and will prepare him for the NBA.

“I think it was one of the biggest pieces for myself. I’ve always played up, whether it’s one, two, or three years up. I came into it giving everything I have, knowing I’m a basketball player and so is everyone else. Coming into every situation doing what I know how to do I think gives you that type of confidence that you can play in any situation. You’re able to adapt.”

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/draft...oungest-player

He always plays up. It's no wonder he wanted to play for the Spurs. He's seeking knowledge at every step of the way.

I've always said basketball is as much of a mental game as it is physical, if not more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything depends on his work ethic, he's behind other prospects right now but he can cover that ground if he's dedicated enough on and off the court. Too soon to say anything, too many variables

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look forward to watching him in SL, there’s not a lot of video on him. Share if you do find.
    The thread is long and I don’t know if this one was posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can tell he’s from the generation of kids that grew up watching steph in that shot form.

highly recommend checking out the combine scrimmage in its entirety if you haven’t already. Shows more on ball potential and is essentially his teams primary ball handler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can tell he’s from the generation of kids that grew up watching steph in that shot form.

highly recommend checking out the combine scrimmage in its entirety if you haven’t already. Shows more on ball potential and is essentially his teams primary ball handler.
    Yes, the scrimmage is the best source for getting an idea of his upside. The next best will be the upcoming summer league. His college tape is lackadaisical in seeing what he’s capable of. Really hidden by senior players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look forward to watching him in SL, there’s not a lot of video on him. Share if you do find.
    The thread is long and I don’t know if this one was posted.
    If you want more than one hour of Primo, here we go lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Can you link me where it is. I did a quick search and the only thing I found was a snippet of him doing shooting drills at the combine.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s saying the right things but also sounds like he’s expecting to impact the game at the pro level for his rookie year. That’s what I’m reading from his comments. I hope he isn’t put off by having to play in Austin. Surely he understands that it’s probably a 2 year plan to becoming a rotation player on the main squad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s saying the right things but also sounds like he’s expecting to impact the game at the pro level for his rookie year. That’s what I’m reading from his comments. I hope he isn’t put off by having to play in Austin. Surely he understands that it’s probably a 2 year plan to becoming a rotation player on the main squad.
    While I’m hoping it won’t take 2 years he did play a limited role for Alabama so I think he will be fine if he does get assigned to the Gleague. Seems like a very coachable player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grim short term out look with your highest pick in a while needing two years in the minors

I guess we knew that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would hold off on assuming he won’t play nice minutes with the big squad....... I think they want him as our point guard

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These quotes are the most telling for me:

He knows that this is an advantage for him and looks forward to the challenge. Being the intelligent young player that he is, Primo understands how impactful playing with professionals will be from a development standpoint.

Thank you Dejounte for all the information to collected and shared! Thank you for your insight and basketball wisdom! I'm all in and I trust the FO!

“The best part about it is knowing that I’m going to learn so much at this age that I’m at right now,” said the Alabama prospect. “Being able to come into the league and learn those things first hand that I might not have learned going back an extra year. I know that at 21 or 22, I’m going to be a lot better off for this. I’ll have that much more knowledge.”

By the time Primo is 25, he’ll be an NBA veteran with upwards of seven years of experience. To the right team, that makes him as attractive as nearly any prospect.
    With that in mind, being the youngest guy on the court isn’t anything new to Primo.

He represented Canada in the 2019 FIBA Under-19 Basketball World Cup at just 16 years old as the youngest player on the team. Additionally, in both high school and AAU basketball, he frequently played with guys many years older than him.

Primo considers playing up as something that’s helped him get to where he is now and will prepare him for the NBA.

“I think it was one of the biggest pieces for myself. I’ve always played up, whether it’s one, two, or three years up. I came into it giving everything I have, knowing I’m a basketball player and so is everyone else. Coming into every situation doing what I know how to do I think gives you that type of confidence that you can play in any situation. You’re able to adapt.”

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/draft...oungest-player

He always plays up. It's no wonder he wanted to play for the Spurs. He's seeking knowledge at every step of the way.

I've always said basketball is as much of a mental game as it is physical, if not more.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Not sure if this was posted here or not:

[Marks, via the Lowe Post] "I got a couple texts from GMs saying if not for the Spurs, we'd be getting lambasted right now" in reference to how mock drafts don't always align with teams' interests
    seems to confirm he was going to be taken in the lottery or just outside of it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My hot take is he'll be between Vassell's timeline and Keldon's timeline.

Vassell found playing time with the main team 1/4 through his first season.

Keldon found playing time with the main team 3/4 through his first season, and became a starter in his second season.

Talent finds a way. And IF Primo knows how to "sacrifice" and learn to play within a team concept as a role player immediately, he could find consistent playing time early.

Thread Information