Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 SG FiveThirtyEight Raptor WAR (minimum 1058 minutes, their default)

1) Paul George
    2) Luka Doncic
    3) Jrue Holiday
    4) Devin Booker
    5) Mikal Bridges
    6) Jimmy Butler
    7) James Harden
    8) Nicolas Batum
    9) Bradley Beal
    10) Fred VanVleet

28) Derrick White

36T) DeMar DeRozan

59) Patty Mills

96 out of 96) Lonnie Walker IV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is officially a Nike athlete.

“He’s a Nike athlete officially now,” said Primo’s agent Todd Ramasar. “He’ll be wearing more Nikes on the floor as well as some of those exclusive Jordans.”
    https://www.kens5.com/article/sports...2-8ac50b3efd94

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the concern, but I got the point in about the first 30 seconds....yet they kept talking and talking and talking about it.

Also, it was one shot from an 18-year old in a summer league game. He is obviously not going to have picture perfect form on every shot.

Some people obviously have way more time to dedicate to watching basketball than I do.
    Exactly m thought. While every player wants to be perfect in every part of the mechanics of shooting, I don't think it is possible during a dynamic move off the dribble. Your direction and speed of motion causes some subtle shift in the body's positioning and the planting of the foot. Not to mention the fact that we all have one foot shorter than the other that our mind factors in in split second. Shooting mechanics combine all sorts of body, hand, foot movements in an instant of time. It simply can't be the exact same way every time over 1000 shots since we are not robots.

Look at how some players like our new guard Jones contort his body while in the air on some shots and scores by using tremendous body control. Some players have that talent more than others. However, bad habitual shooting mechanics can be improved with good coaching. Remember the horrible form Murray brought into the league on his jump shot, he was coming down sideways on his off foot, giving the ball a sideways rotation??? I doubted he would ever overcome that, but Chip has done a great job and he is now a passable shooter with a proper rotation on the ball.

What Primo will have to look out for is habitually not landing in proper form or balance on that off foot. Eventually that can lead to injuries over a long season or career. Murray has learned and improved and I bet Primo will too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice job Primo....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet he spent most of his minutes as the backup point guard, which means he'll ride the bench or go to the G league because Tre Jones has that job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet he spent most of his minutes as the backup point guard, which means he'll ride the bench or go to the G league because Tre Jones has that job.
    They were just trying him out at that spot. Don't get hung up about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Folks still stuck on traditional positional basketball

The Spurs and most other teams are trotting out players who can play. Period. The ball is being handled by far more players than it used to be. You can play four guards and win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no worries about Tre and Primo overlapping: their games couldn't be more different. Primo's game is wholly based on his shooting, at all levels, to open up opportunities for him to score (or threaten to score and pass out of it, like his assist to Forbes tonight); meanwhile, Tre is much more of a "traditional PG", setting guys up, driving to the hoop as his main weapon to open up the offense and pass out of dribble penetrations, or score in a variety of layup-related moves at the rim. You could perfectly play them both together, in fact, if the opponent doesn't have too much length at the 1-2 spots.

That said, Primo's definitely bound for at least a half season of G-League, no matter the overlap with any other players. The best he can do is take it in stride, and try to literally score his way out of the G-L. A couple 20-30pt performances will get him demand on the big boy club, for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In two years this guy may be a cornerstone barring injury.... I like the kids demeanor!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In two years this guy may be a cornerstone barring injury.... I like the kids demeanor!
    In two years this kid is going to be twenty. Kind of crazy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In two years this kid is going to be twenty. Kind of crazy.
    That is super crazy.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me crazy but I see Tatum in his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reminds me a bit more of Gervin (as mentioned a few weeks ago), not that he'll be that good.

He has a long, lanky deceptive fluidity to his game -- very efficient and seeming almost effortless, especially around the basket. Also a calm (Iceman) demeanor at all times.

One difference is, Primo looks like he's all in on defense and at his age and build (at this point) is pretty effective on that end even now. Gervin was no defender.

In sum, the comparison is audacious and is more about style, build and potential -- not saying he'll be Gervin but just reminds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo has a level of confidence most people don’t possess..... manu esque

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reminds me a bit more of Gervin (as mentioned a few weeks ago), not that he'll be that good.

He has a long, lanky deceptive fluidity to his game -- very efficient and seeming almost effortless, especially around the basket. Also a calm (Iceman) demeanor at all times.

One difference is, Primo looks like he's all in on defense and at his age and build (at this point) is pretty effective on that end even now. Gervin was no defender.

In sum, the comparison is audacious and is more about style, build and potential -- not saying he'll be Gervin but just reminds.

i said at the time watching him at Alabama and summer league, you see Devin Booker with defense. Fingers crossed he stays healthy. He seems to have “it”

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo has a level of confidence most people don’t possess..... manu esque

hence why he’s back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hence why he’s back.
    Manu's back for Primo?

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Primo gets his handles together, he is going to be a serious problem for other teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to think we're gonna lose this kid or cost him his confidence by stashing him in the G-League. That Wiscamp kid too. I don't understand why isn't he getting heavy mins. The Spurs have always just felt they have to stash their pick except KaQuiter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to think we're gonna lose this kid or cost him his confidence by stashing him in the G-League. That Wiscamp kid too. I don't understand why isn't he getting heavy mins. The Spurs have always just felt they have to stash their pick except KaQuiter
    I think Pop is still delusional in the sense that he's playing to win games in hopes of getting to the playoffs when in reality even if this team tries hard they are still a lottery team.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wont be surprised if he's cut in 2 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wont be surprised if he's cut in 2 years.
    Doubt it.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see that too. Tatum reminds me of Kobe.. as such Primo really reminds me of Kobe as well with his demeanor and at ude. You see it come out on the court when someone blankets him and he splashes it in their face.

He has a..dare I say...Mamba Mentality. (Darn the interwebs for making me say that)

He is nowhere near the amazing athlete Kobe was, but the kid is an athlete and has a burst showing up once or twice a game in the preseason I hadn't seen in college tape. Awareness is very good. Was really impressed with his patience on plays last game. He pulled back on a switch and I was for sure he was going to let it fly with the spacing he got, but he knew the whole time where it was going. The mismatch created down low. Easy two points. May seem like a little thing to some, but that was big to me in his ability to be a true difference maker later on.

His Mentality could make him special.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Folks still stuck on traditional positional basketball

The Spurs and most other teams are trotting out players who can play. Period. The ball is being handled by far more players than it used to be. You can play four guards and win.

Thread Information