Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want an alpha, you have to develop an alpha. I don’t know if he is or not, but he won’t be if he’s developed as a role player in SA.
    Exstatic with the mass troll.

Name the alpha who was developed in the G-League. I will wait

Now name the role players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want an alpha, you have to develop an alpha. I don’t know if he is or not, but he won’t be if he’s developed as a role player in SA.
    Kawhi was developed as a role player and developed into an alpha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi did not have anything resembling a "focal point" skill set as a rookie

astonishingly he improved despite not spending time in the gleague to hone those skills
    Bbb but kawhi wasnt 18 ,and weighed more

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exstatic with the mass troll.

Name the alpha who was developed in the G-League. I will wait.
    Does Khris Middleton count? Pascal Siakam? Would anybody object if Primo turned out to be as good as either one of them?

It's disingenuous to compare the "alphas" over the entire history of the league when the g league as we currently know it (with teams actually having their own de facto farm team) has only been around for a few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is not afraid of the moment, just letting them fly, and I’m just impressed with how he’s taking defense seriously, albeit he got bullied by one of the best scorer in the league. I also thought he has already gotten bigger than when he get drafted. I’m really hoping he gets to be 6’6” or bigger. He could eventually be a combo guard, and Devin playing SF. But the defense of DJ, Primo, Devin though. Personally I’m still not impressed with “ally-hoop recipient” Poodle. And Keldon is too small against bigger PF’s.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a huge range between "alpha" and "role player" too. Primo can become a Mitc /LaVine/J Murray/Booker-like scorer; teams led by those types tend to not go far in the playoffs but as second options they shine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Khris Middleton count? Pascal Siakam? Would anybody object if Primo turned out to be as good as either one of them?

It's disingenuous to compare the "alphas" over the entire history of the league when the g league as we currently know it (with teams actually having their own de facto farm team) has only been around for a few years.
    So there are 2 examples you can give. They aren't even really great examples tbh since Giannis is by far the alpha and Siakim is aight. And EVERYBODY else who ever played in the GL is a role player. And none of the Spurs who have played in the GL their whole first year has ever been anything but a role player. So this argument that playing in the GL makes you an alpha and a star is a stupid one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So there are 2 examples you can give. They aren't even really great examples tbh since Giannis is by far the alpha and Siakim is aight. And EVERYBODY else who ever played in the GL is a role player. And none of the Spurs who have played in the GL their whole first year has ever been anything but a role player. So this argument that playing in the GL makes you an alpha and a star is a stupid one.
    Great point since the g league has been around in its current incarnation for just a few years. It's like talking about how terrible all the three point shooters were before the league ins uted the three point shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, so we gotta pull this bus over before it goes off a cliff:

The question is not, "Which star played in the d-league?" Drom already answered that.

The question is, "Which players developed as d-league stars then came to the NBA as stars without having been role-players?"

Middleton played three games in the d-league and averaged 11/8/3. He was obviously not developed there (at all really, but certain not) as a star.

Siakam played five games in the d-league. He did average 18/8/3/2/2, which is closer to a star. But supposedly, as a multi-season, 22-year-old prospect, he has nothing in common with Primo anyway, according to Ex.

In reality, those guys developed with their NBA rosters and touched the d-league for very short stints. Primo has already played as much or more than those guys, and Gobert, who's the king of the d-league at this point, only stayed for eight games. There's not a history of a d-league bootcamp turning raw guys into "ready" prospects. There's a MUCH longer history of guys going for bit players to NBA stars, and that includes every player on the d-league list in addition to guys like Leonard and George and Butler. No, it's actually not very common for guys to go from role-players to stars. Most of them actually come into the league with the obvious talent. If that wasn't true, there wouldn't be any upside to tanking. But as a whole, the d-league hasn't shown itself to be a superior or even equal avenue to develop top prospects. It's a place to rehab and for marginal prospects to get the time investment that the big clubs can't afford to spend. No one was complaining about Wieskamp being assigned there, for example. But it's not a necessary path for Primo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Facts! Ppl don't understand a HUGE part of playing NBA defense is learning the tendencies of players... U don't do that by playing trash ass d league talent
    One of the big reasons Bowen was such an animal on defense is that he studied film on people he was guarding relentlessly. I remember a comment by Tim once that no one worked harder on defensive preparation than Bruce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great point since the g league has been around in its current incarnation for just a few years. It's like talking about how terrible all the three point shooters were before the league ins uted the three point shot.
    So since it's only been around for a few years does that mean you can't count Middleton? So just Siakim? In 5 years. That's it
    Also since it's only been around for a few years why do you trust this process? The NBA has 75 years of making stars and the Gleague apparently only has a few years and hasn't even made one yet. You are owning yourself

**edit**
    Just read Chinooks post. This nonsense has to stop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, so we gotta pull this bus over before it goes off a cliff:

The question is not, "Which star played in the d-league?" Drom already answered that.

The question is, "Which players developed as d-league stars then came to the NBA as stars without having been role-players?"

Middleton played three games in the d-league and averaged 11/8/3. He was obviously not developed there (at all really, but certain not) as a star.

Siakam played five games in the d-league. He did average 18/8/3/2/2, which is closer to a star. But supposedly, as a multi-season, 22-year-old prospect, he has nothing in common with Primo anyway, according to Ex.

In reality, those guys developed with their NBA rosters and touched the d-league for very short stints. Primo has already played as much or more than those guys, and Gobert, who's the king of the d-league at this point, only stayed for eight games. There's not a history of a d-league bootcamp turning raw guys into "ready" prospects. There's a MUCH longer history of guys going for bit players to NBA stars, and that includes every player on the d-league list in addition to guys like Leonard and George and Butler. No, it's actually not very common for guys to go from role-players to stars. Most of them actually come into the league with the obvious talent. If that wasn't true, there wouldn't be any upside to tanking. But as a whole, the d-league hasn't shown itself to be a superior or even equal avenue to develop top prospects. It's a place to rehab and for marginal prospects to get the time investment that the big clubs can't afford to spend. No one was complaining about Wieskamp being assigned there, for example. But it's not a necessary path for Primo.
    argument over

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not a typical rookie in regards to confidence. He’s already more confident than almost everyone else on the team. His youth shouldn’t be the main factor here.

Edit: And, uhh yeah, what Chinook said.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 11-30-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with anything Chinook wrote and I'm not advocating for Primo to be playing in the G-league, either. I think he should be in the NBA, especially given the context of how (non)compe ive the team is.

All I'm saying is that we don't have a large enough sample size to say definitively that the G-league isn't a viable avenue to develop a superstar. You're talking 75 years of the NBA vs 6 years of all teams having their own d league affiliate. Just because something has been done one way for 75 years because it was the only option, doesn't mean that it is the only way. This is relatively new ground for the NBA. I'd like to see more data before writing it off as a waste of time.

Perhaps there is something to the process of not living the first-class NBA lifestyle for a little bit that is humbling to a young kid and can help with his maturation process? Maybe prevent him from becoming a prima donna later in his career, faking an injury and having his money grubbing uncle demand a trade? I dunno. I'm spit balling here. There may be some long term value there. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, even today. Could be a giant waste of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a huge issue with Primo playing in the d-league. When the team has an extra day off or whatever, getting a random game in where Primo can play 35 minutes is nice. I wouldn't even be against them sending him down there later in the year once the rotation settles down if it's then determined that he should. My issues are more with the Spurs defaulting to having him do that without giving him a chance to win a spot and with fans defending that mentality by creating a false impression of how players tend to develop. I think the Spurs have consistently taken a lazy approach to player development. At least that's what it looks like to me from what we've been told. They give a guy meh summer-league run, don't play them in the pre-season, shunt them to Austin for a year, give them a featured role in their second summer league and then either send them back to the d-league or try to work them into the rotation during their second season. How they think that same technique applies to guys as different as White and Primo, as Blossomgame and Samanic, as Walker and Weatherspoon, I don't know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know a crazy thing but Primo got a couple of minutes and contributed and he didn't die!
    Amazing right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beal abused him,mainly physically. Got so bad, they had to bring Lonnie in to defend.
    Seriously,?! Beal abuses most of the NBA as one of the best scores in the league, so according to you most of the NBA needs to go back to G league because they aren't ready.

Did Primo get bullied a bit, yes but lets nor forget it was by a All-Star player so let's try to keep that in context. Primo is a smart kid and I don't doubt that he will use this experience that he had guarding a top NBA player to make himself better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a huge issue with Primo playing in the d-league. When the team has an extra day off or whatever, getting a random game in where Primo can play 35 minutes is nice. I wouldn't even be against them sending him down there later in the year once the rotation settles down if it's then determined that he should. My issues are more with the Spurs defaulting to having him do that without giving him a chance to win a spot and with fans defending that mentality by creating a false impression of how players tend to develop. I think the Spurs have consistently taken a lazy approach to player development. At least that's what it looks like to me from what we've been told. They give a guy meh summer-league run, don't play them in the pre-season, shunt them to Austin for a year, give them a featured role in their second summer league and then either send them back to the d-league or try to work them into the rotation during their second season. How they think that same technique applies to guys as different as White and Primo, as Blossomgame and Samanic, as Walker and Weatherspoon, I don't know.
    That’s exactly what I’ve been saying! Only you said it much better

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at it this way, in baseball drafted players go through development period in minors majority of the time but in football they are expected to play & contribute immediately. Basketball use a mixture of both ideologies, so it shouldn’t be a shock when a group of some of the best talent evaluators ( not my opinion but the consensus of others ) determine said player be placed on a specific development path. In Primos case, they drafted him when & where no one on planet earth saw coming, so to say they’ve given this ( him and his development ) some thought would be an understatement WRIGHT?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will learn more from those 5 minutes than he will in 5 games "defending" G-League talent.
    so what, exactly, did he learn from those 5 minutes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so what, exactly, did he learn from those 5 minutes?
    Speed, pace of game, physicality of players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we having fun yet? This kid is different....imagine him in 4 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play now!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play now!
    Lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we having fun yet? This kid is different....imagine him in 4 years
    We pretty much drafted a top5 pick a year earlier, he'd still be one of the youngest draftees if he waited for another year.

He has to be playing more, but even if he's not over himself by Pop's standards yet, G-league and occasional minutes with the big boys is way better for his development than college.

People just need to have patience. Cade, Mobley and Barnes are the only players I'd have taken over Primo and we obviously couldn't get them.

Thread Information