Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s get this thread back on topic.

Is there a chance in Primo earns and is awarded the backup PG position in the 2022-23 season? Makes Tre Jones a decent sweetener if a trade presents itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is there a chance in Primo earns and is awarded the backup PG position in the 2022-23 season? Makes Tre Jones a decent sweetener if a trade presents itself.
    His ball handling needs work. I think he’s a rotation player next year, maybe taking Lonnie’s minutes if he moves on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget to take in consideration where they were picked ( number ) too���� Not to many people have done it better.....
    Important point. Makes the list look more impressive actually since half of those were late 20 picks. Lonnie and Luka clearly in the big swing territory of the draft too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tre has little to no value. There’s nothing he actually does that’s super impressive aside from occasionally looking like a pass-first PG that many Spurs fans about. IMO, he’s one of the lower ceiling guys, but with a higher floor. If his head never gets big, he would be a nice, cheap third string PG to keep forever and the Spurs never have to worry about their PG depth and go after old ass veterans at that spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he is a guy without a 3 ball which is not worth much to this team.

As far as Walker I don’t see him with the Spurs next season so definitely can see Primo moving up and getting those minutes. Also, if White goes out due to being injury prone he can and should get those minutes so definitely enough to see a little bit of playing time every game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo can absolutely get minutes next season, and the team doesn't even need to shed Lonnie for that to happen. It's curious how pervasive that correlation is, when Lonnie is on the team this season, and yet Forbes still manages to find his way into 8-10MPG. I've little doubt that the team moves on from him, which will open up minutes for Josh regardless of what the team does with Lonnie - matter-of-factly, I'm pretty sure the Spurs would try to re-sign Forbes, or get another cheap player at SG, if both Forbes and Lonnie moved on, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo can absolutely get minutes next season, and the team doesn't even need to shed Lonnie for that to happen. It's curious how pervasive that correlation is, when Lonnie is on the team this season, and yet Forbes still manages to find his way into 8-10MPG. I've little doubt that the team moves on from him, which will open up minutes for Josh regardless of what the team does with Lonnie - matter-of-factly, I'm pretty sure the Spurs would try to re-sign Forbes, or get another cheap player at SG, if both Forbes and Lonnie moved on, tbh.
    If they even thought they wanted Forbes for next year, they could have signed him to a 1+1. It would have given them more flexibility, and allowed them to trade him at any time. Instead, by signing him to a straight 1 year deal, they can’t trade him without his consent.

I see both Forbes and Lonnie’s as gone, with Primo picking up Lonnie’s minutes, and Vassell tacking on Forbes minutes to his own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they even thought they wanted Forbes for next year, they could have signed him to a 1+1. It would have given them more flexibility, and allowed them to trade him at any time. Instead, by signing him to a straight 1 year deal, they can’t trade him without his consent.

I see both Forbes and Lonnie’s as gone, with Primo picking up Lonnie’s minutes, and Vassell tacking on Forbes minutes to his own.
    Yep, I don't have any doubts about Forbes being gone (hopefully for good this time....) next season.

I don't think Lonnie's as clear-cut a choice, especially if he continues his upward trajectory into the second half of the season, but it's definitely a toss-up. At any rate, I feel like this will majorly depend on how "ready" Primo looks by the end of the season/training camp maybe? I could see the Spurs holding onto Lonnie as a "placeholder" if they feel like Primo's due for some more G-L burn, or if he's not ready for a major role in the NBA. We'll see how it goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And let's be clear about each of those players and our record: Currently 5 games below .500

'16 -- Murray -- clearly the player that has shown the most upside and our current best player and the only one recognized league wide with any awards (all defense)

'17 -- White -- oft injured, streaky player that has shown top notch play in only parts of 2 seasons and often struggled with his confidence.

'18 -- Walker -- A player the team chose not to extend and whom this board is routinely frustrated by his occasional flashes of brilliance, though it seems he may finally be putting it together under Manu's tutelage.

'19 -- Keldon -- An undersized player that has been underwhelming, until MAYBE, the last month or so when Chip maybe said or did something to greatly alter his 3 pt percentage, which is his only viable path to making a long term impact on this team.

'19 -- Luka -- FAIL

'20 -- Vassell -- Jury is still out but he looks to be our best all around draft pick since Murray with a chance to be an impact player for years to come.

'21 -- Primo -- Jury out. See Vassell above.

ulatively, they might have figured something out in the last 2 weeks, but we'll see if it was just a flash in the pan.
    Still, 5 straight years of finding rotation level players with mid to late draft picks. That's pretty remarkable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, I don't have any doubts about Forbes being gone (hopefully for good this time....) next season.

I don't think Lonnie's as clear-cut a choice, especially if he continues his upward trajectory into the second half of the season, but it's definitely a toss-up. At any rate, I feel like this will majorly depend on how "ready" Primo looks by the end of the season/training camp maybe? I could see the Spurs holding onto Lonnie as a "placeholder" if they feel like Primo's due for some more G-L burn, or if he's not ready for a major role in the NBA. We'll see how it goes.
    Lonnie’s QO will be $13M, and I think that’s a figure they’d like to see for 3 years, not one. It would be a disaster if he signed it. He’d clog the cap, and almost certainly leave. The QO is considered a one year contract, so they can’t trade him without his permission. No wonder that almost no one who signs it ever stays with their drafting team.

They may not, and probably shouldn’t offer it to him. That would likely cause them to lose him for nothing, but at least they wouldn’t pour $13M down a rat hole, and then lose him for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie’s QO will be $13M, and I think that’s a figure they’d like to see for 3 years, not one. It would be a disaster if he signed it. He’d clog the cap, and almost certainly leave. The QO is considered a one year contract, so they can’t trade him without his permission. No wonder that almost no one who signs it ever stays with their drafting team.

They may not, and probably shouldn’t offer it to him. That would likely cause them to lose him for nothing, but at least they wouldn’t pour $13M down a rat hole, and then lose him for nothing.
    Are you saying to offer him a 3 year 13 million dollar deal? Or that we should sign him to a 13 million a year for 3 years deal?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty confident that in the next draft we have 3 picks one will be Walkers and Forbes replacement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think 13mm is his cap hold if my mind serves me correct. His QO to at least keep him as an RFA for a 1 yr deal is around 6mm. Whether they execute the QO in June 2022 will depend on how how finishes the season. Given the backlog of players at the 2 I’d wish him luck with another team unless he really turn it around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you saying to offer him a 3 year 13 million dollar deal? Or that we should sign him to a 13 million a year for 3 years deal?
    I think what he meant was that the Spurs should tender a qualifying offer in order to be able to match should another team make an offer. If he signs it it's a 1 year deal after which he's an unrestricted free agent.

I'm pretty sure, though, that his QO isn't $13 mil - his cap hold would be $13 mil, but his QO would only be about half that.

I think he'd be fine to keep on some contract that's short of MLE. Like say 3/25. There's value in players like him even if he's not efficient. And there's probably still some untapped potential left. It depends on what their other FA plans are though.

Edit: KingKev beat me to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what he meant was that the Spurs should tender a qualifying offer in order to be able to match should another team make an offer. If he signs it it's a 1 year deal after which he's an unrestricted free agent.

I'm pretty sure, though, that his QO isn't $13 mil - his cap hold would be $13 mil, but his QO would only be about half that.

I think he'd be fine to keep on some contract that's short of MLE. Like say 3/25. There's value in players like him even if he's not efficient. And there's probably still some untapped potential left. It depends on what their other FA plans are though.

BG has it. If Walker doesn’t show out the next few months knowing the implications pribably says enough not to offer him anything. Few teams will have anything more than excpetion money to give him.

I’m no capologist… what is the relevance of his cap hold if his QO is 6mm? For example, we decounce his 13mm cap hold but tender the 6mm QO in June 2022, end up signing him for 8mm for the 22-23 season. Have we lost his bird rights from here because we declined the cap hold?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty confident that in the next draft we have 3 picks one will be Walkers and Forbes replacement
    Walker’s replacement is Primo. Forbes replacement is more minutes for Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3/13, not 3/39. He’s really only worth Forbes money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You are correct. The cap hold is$13M. It remains until he is signed or renounced. If he’s renounced, we can still make him an offer, but he’s unrestricted. We can also make the QO to keep him from being poached immediately, and then rescind it at the rescind deadline, when most teams have spent their cap. Kind of a move, but it’s been done.
    Last edited by exstatic; 12-31-2021 at 09:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BG has it. If Walker doesn’t show out the next few months knowing the implications pribably says enough not to offer him anything. Few teams will have anything more than excpetion money to give him.

I’m no capologist… what is the relevance of his cap hold if his QO is 6mm? For example, we decounce his 13mm cap hold but tender the 6mm QO in June 2022, end up signing him for 8mm for the 22-23 season. Have we lost his bird rights from here because we declined the cap hold?
    If you renounce, yes, you lose Bird rights, etc. Then it's like he's just a free agent you are trying to sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you renounce, yes, you lose Bird rights, etc. Then it's like he's just a free agent you are trying to sign.
    So his QO still loses bird rights… his free agency is basically Zollins’ decision but we’ve seen Walker at full health with a long leash, even for coach Pop. That Houston game was iight, he had a meme where he didn’t even dunk it when he could have. He is an afterthought for me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So his QO still loses bird rights… his free agency is basically Zollins’ decision but we’ve seen Walker at full health with a long leash, even for coach Pop. That Houston game was iight, he had a meme where he didn’t even dunk it when he could have. He is an afterthought for me.
    Extending the QO does not lose Bird rights. Even if he signs the QO the team retains Bird rights they just have no leverage other than being able to go over the cap to sign him. Only if he is renounced do you lose Bird rights. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is how it works.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His cap hold is what the spurs would have to count against the cap until he is signed or released. at that point his actual number would count. I believe the reason for the hold is picks are paid less then their value so it is to better estimate how much they should be paid so people dont put off signing them so they can sign other players. only time it really matters is for teams under the cap. dont know if tax payer exemption goes off last year payroll or predicted future payroll.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No point in watching tomorrow's game besides seeing this guy and Vassell put up 20 FGAs each.

If that doesn't happen, we riot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10660844[/URL]]I am pretty confident that in the next draft we have 3 picks one will be Walkers and Forbes replacement
    Whoever we draft will play very little their rookie year. We all know this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Walker, Forbes and White’s replacements are already on the roster

Thread Information