Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His speed/quickness is...underwhelming. I expected more.

Tonight's debacle is precisely the kind of game he needs to flex some athleticism and show he's a first round pick. Pop is out. It's a blowout. And he's turning the ball over and being beyond timid. He's looking like Luka out there, lost and shy.

I'm quickly becoming nonplussed by his upside potential

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely hit that rookie wall. I think he'll have a bigger second year jump than Lonnie.
    Meh...you could always see the raw athleticism of Lonnie though and that pretty stroke. Can you say what you see in his game (beyond his nice shooting form) that is in anyway ihopeful he can become a player that does more than shoot 3s?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still contend Primo is trying to think through his plays and rotations instead of simply playing. I'm not too concerned about him at this point. He just turned 19 a few months ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been a subpar athlete the whole time, most of why I haven't been on the all-star bandwagon. Hope he succeeds, happy to watch him instead of Forbes, but he's a lot closer to Kyle Anderson athleticism than people are comfortable admitting.

His upside is probably limited because of it. Had my first "uh-oh" on his first basket in summer league. Everyone was so impressed that he got a step back 2 on that play, I could only see him completely unable to get a step on some nobody summer league undrafted scrub.

And it's not like he's underdeveloped physically, he's a lot closer to his mature physique than most 19 year old players.

Nice looking shot, very promising passing touch especially over the top, seems like he can eventually be a nice defender as he develops, and maybe that's fair for his pick spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christ, he's definitely not Kyle Anderson in athleticism. Who thought he was a major athlete, though? We were talking last summer about how he'll have to develop advanced dribble moves to get open because he doesn't have the burst. What he does have is a big physique for a guard.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In open growth plates we trust.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am also not hopeful of him becoming a high level at this point in time, he seems to lose the ball everytime he puts it down on the floor, his athleticism is meh and his shooting/scoring is regressing. Only thing that goes for him is FT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christ, he's definitely not Kyle Anderson in athleticism. Who thought he was a major athlete, though? We were talking last summer about how he'll have to develop advanced dribble moves to get open because he doesn't have the burst. What he does have is a big physique for a guard.
    It's not as far off a comparison as one would think. Slomo had about the same ability to get past his defender as Primo has shown.

And while you're correct that we knew Primo needed handling improvement, that was because he was routinely getting picked by his defender especially on drives. It wasn't first step explosion handles. It was, dont turn the ball over each time he runs point.

What I was not seeing then yet, was his almost complete lack of a burst step young 1st round guard players have to get lane penetration. And maybe that's because he was turning it over so much I didn't catch his lack of quick twitch muscle.

He's gonna be a good pro. He'll likely average 15-20 at some point. But the hope for a 28ppg average scorer that many on this board had for him, like a Devin Booker type, are increasingly unrealistic projections.

Which, imo, means he's not untouchable as a trade piece to maybe move up in this draft, packaged with a draft pick or two, to go get that franchise pick if PATFO believes is there in this draft. The best talent looks to be 1-5 and well likely be in the 6-10 range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offseason can't come too early for Josh ... he needs to reset the clock

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me get this…… 19 yrs old playing in a league full of grown men is having growing pains……sounds about right! Some of you sound crazy as !!! Give him a year or two; I’ve already seen improvement in some areas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me get this…… 19 yrs old playing in a league full of grown men is having growing pains……sounds about right! Some of you sound crazy as !!! Give him a year or two; I’ve already seen improvement in some areas
    Very few people around here have a notion of player development. Mostly live in the moment reactionary types.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very few people around here have a notion of player development. Mostly live in the moment reactionary types.
    What's your view on Lonnie?

This is funny to me since exstatic liked your post, and he's been down on Lonnie and Luka pretty much since day 1. Spurstalk is a funny place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When he first came up to the big team he was taking open shots like a natural shooter. Now he's passing those shots up and trying to drive the lane or pass off. Is he getting too much criticism/coaching from coaches or players for taking those outside shots or just playing scared because of his shooting percentages? Whatever it is, his offensive development seems to be going backward with the more minutes he gets. On the other hand, I think his defense, passing, and all-around court awareness and BBIQ is better than expected for his age and experience.

OK. He's 19. I get it. But all of us were hoping for a faster offensive development if he got more time on court this year. Not happening. So we'll wait for Summer League and next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has primo grown in weight/height?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So our young first round lotto pick is a turnover machine who really cannot shoot too well but every now and then makes a play I guess is doing OK.
    He really just does not do much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So our young first round lotto pick is a turnover machine who really cannot shoot too well but every now and then makes a play I guess is doing OK.
    He really just does not do much.
    Yep……that about sums it up. You gotta love 19 year old Rookies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep……that about sums it up. You gotta love 19 year old Rookies
    There are other 19 yr olds and 20 year olds that showed plenty this year, and that do so in every draft class. He's gonna be a solid pro, but you might consider taking off the Spurs glasses if you think he'll be a Anthony Edwards or Devin Booker or even a Josh Giddey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are other 19 yr olds and 20 year olds that showed plenty this year, and that do so in every draft class. He's gonna be a solid pro, but you might consider taking off the Spurs glasses if you think he'll be a Anthony Edwards or Devin Booker or even a Josh Giddey.
    That’s just the point. He wasn’t 19 and he wasn’t 20 when drafted. He was an 18 YO kid. , he’s younger than a lot of the players in THIS draft. You can’t know what he will be at his age with just a handful of games played. If you had that ability, you’d be working in an NBA front office.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When he first came up to the big team he was taking open shots like a natural shooter. Now he's passing those shots up and trying to drive the lane or pass off. Is he getting too much criticism/coaching from coaches or players for taking those outside shots or just playing scared because of his shooting percentages? Whatever it is, his offensive development seems to be going backward with the more minutes he gets. On the other hand, I think his defense, passing, and all-around court awareness and BBIQ is better than expected for his age and experience.

OK. He's 19. I get it. But all of us were hoping for a faster offensive development if he got more time on court this year. Not happening. So we'll wait for Summer League and next year.
    it seems that coach pop was kind of right to send him to austin to get him more consistent playing time to learn the team's system. and he looked good playing with the main team whenver he was shuttling back and forth between austin and spurs. probably those additional mins in G league and having a more defined role help in his confidence and allowed him to work on his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe things will change but he has shown as of now he ain’t special

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comedic gold

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we give him a summer away from day to day game grind and let him reset for next season?
    Beezus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NM
    Last edited by GAustex; 03-19-2022 at 11:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy Duncan almost got red-shirted at that age

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Church of the Open Growth Plates…

Thread Information