Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have known better than to criticise the Spurs' scouting department. When was the last time the Spurs had a first round pick and didn't get, at least, a rotation player?

'20- Vassell, 19- Keldon, 18- Lonnie, 17- White, 16- Murray.

The streak ends in 2015, but that year they drafted Milutinov, who could have easily played in the NBA. Then we have Kyle Anderson in 2014. The only time in recent years where they really drop the ball was in 2013 with Livio Jean-Charles.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Quindary having resurrected career with Warriors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have known better than to criticise the Spurs' scouting department. When was the last time the Spurs had a first round pick and didn't get, at least, a rotation player?

The streak ends in 2015, but that year they drafted Milutinov, who could have easily played in the NBA. Then we have Kyle Anderson in 2014. The only time in recent years where they really drop the ball was in 2013 with Livio Jean-Charles.
    Luka Samanic.

But I think that it was a homerun swing worth taking at that spot. Just sucks that we struck out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka Samanic.

But I think that it was a homerun swing worth taking at that spot. Just sucks that we struck out.
    More like didn’t play the game….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is consistently blocking the shots of guys 6’7” and up when he’s guarding them one on one. His height is fine for a wing (2 and 3).
    Positionless basketball works better with the more variance in sizes you have. It won't hurt to be taller and longer with his skillset. That's the area they're lacking most right now. True forward size with those intangibles. The best teams in the league have great size/reach at the forward position.

It looks like Landale and Collins along with a standout rookie sf/pf scorer/creator will go far for them next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC was never the same after his injury. He looked very promising before. Same with the Anderson kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Milutinov- was drafted because he wasn't coming over anytime soon and Spurs wanted cap space (Signed LMA that summer). I think style of play changed so that he was no longer an option.
    Livio was long and athletic. Post injury just long.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJC was never the same after his injury. He looked very promising before. Same with the Anderson kid.
    Yeah, Anderson was looking to be a solid starter but once he broke his foot it was all over such a shame he was a good kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka Samanic.

Yeah, but we still got Keldon out of that year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka isn't done yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New ESPN+ article

Who's got next? The first-round picks and G League standouts ready to be called

First-round rookie check-in

Of the 60 draftees from 2021, 24 have played at least five games in the G League this season, several of which took to the hardwood at the G League Showcase. How did the 2021 first-round picks fare in Las Vegas? Will any be able to crack the rotation after the New Year?
    Joshua Primo | 6-6 | SG | San Antonio Spurs | Age: 19.0 | No. 12 pickWhen the Spurs drafted Primo No. 12 overall ahead of more productive collegiate prospects like Chris Duarte, Corey Kispert or Moses Moody, they were essentially buying in a year early on a prospect who could have ultimately been selected in the top-5 if he stayed at Alabama and entered the draft in 2022. The thought amongst Primo's biggest supporters league-wide was that the 6-5 Canadian guard had far more shot-creation than most scouts saw during his freshman season with the Crimson Tide, where he came off the bench and played mostly a catch-and-shoot role.

Primo showed exactly why that thinking had merit with his play in Las Vegas, where he averaged 17 points, 6 assists, and 5.5 rebounds in 31.5 minutes in two wins while shooting 8-of-18 from 2 and 5-of-11 from 3. Primo went for 23 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 threes in a blowout win over the G League Ignite and fellow teenagers Dyson Daniels and Jaden Hardy. He made 3s off the catch, changed speeds impressively in pick-and-roll, rose up in mid-range, dropped in finesse shots in the paint and showcased the ability to both hit the roller and the wing shooter out of ball screens. Primo also flashed his stellar defensive potential, using his length and improved frame to bother both jump shots and finishes around the rim as both the primary and helpside defender.
    The recently-turned 19-year-old was still a turnover machine out of pick-and-roll, coughing the ball up 7 times per game in Vegas due to inaccurate deliveries. He struggles to finish through length and contact consistently. For all the potential he displays defensively, he'll still get stuck on screens or get beat in a box out situation. But Primo showed enough of his two-way talent in Las Vegas to instill optimism about his long-term upside, even if it takes until next season to see his talent come to life in the NBA.
    With the Spurs still in the playoff hunt and perimeter players such as Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Keldon Johnson, Devin Vassell, and Lonnie Walker all ahead of him on the depth chart, will his jolts of G League success be enough for him to earn real NBA minutes in 2022? Primo scored an NBA career-high 9 points in 15 minutes during a blowout win over the Pistons following the G League Showcase, as he knocked down two spot 3s and a late-game step back. That, along with Murray still being in COVID-19 protocols, helped earn him four minutes in a compe ive game against the Jazz. Given how high he was drafted and the flashes of long-term potential we've seen so far, Primo's development is something scouts league wide will have a close eye on for the rest of the season. -- Mike Schmitz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And let's be clear about each of those players and our record: Currently 5 games below .500

'16 -- Murray -- clearly the player that has shown the most upside and our current best player and the only one recognized league wide with any awards (all defense)

'17 -- White -- oft injured, streaky player that has shown top notch play in only parts of 2 seasons and often struggled with his confidence.

'18 -- Walker -- A player the team chose not to extend and whom this board is routinely frustrated by his occasional flashes of brilliance, though it seems he may finally be putting it together under Manu's tutelage.

'19 -- Keldon -- An undersized player that has been underwhelming, until MAYBE, the last month or so when Chip maybe said or did something to greatly alter his 3 pt percentage, which is his only viable path to making a long term impact on this team.

'19 -- Luka -- FAIL

'20 -- Vassell -- Jury is still out but he looks to be our best all around draft pick since Murray with a chance to be an impact player for years to come.

'21 -- Primo -- Jury out. See Vassell above.

ulatively, they might have figured something out in the last 2 weeks, but we'll see if it was just a flash in the pan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And let's be clear about each of those players and our record: Currently 5 games below .500

'16 -- Murray -- clearly the player that has shown the most upside and our current best player and the only one recognized league wide with any awards (all defense)

'17 -- White -- oft injured, streaky player that has shown top notch play in only parts of 2 seasons and often struggled with his confidence.

'18 -- Walker -- A player the team chose not to extend and whom this board is routinely frustrated by his occasional flashes of brilliance, though it seems he may finally be putting it together under Manu's tutelage.

'19 -- Keldon -- An undersized player that has been underwhelming, until MAYBE, the last month or so when Chip maybe said or did something to greatly alter his 3 pt percentage, which is his only viable path to making a long term impact on this team.

'19 -- Luka -- FAIL

'20 -- Vassell -- Jury is still out but he looks to be our best all around draft pick since Murray with a chance to be an impact player for years to come.

'21 -- Primo -- Jury out. See Vassell above.

ulatively, they might have figured something out in the last 2 weeks, but we'll see if it was just a flash in the pan.
    Don’t forget to take in consideration where they were picked ( number ) too���� Not to many people have done it better.....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon -- An undersized player
    ???
    He's not undersized, he's just playing out of position because we don't have an actual power forward. If anything, he bullies most starting SFs in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???
    He's not undersized, he's just playing out of position because we don't have an actual power forward. If anything, he bullies most starting SFs in the league.
    Agreed. He isn’t the only player playing out of position recently. 3-4 players each of the last few years continue to play 50% of their minutes out of position. Position-less basketball does not mean playing people out of position when they have no clear advantage to play out of position. Pop hasn’t learned this 15 years later. Half of the Dirk tribute video was him shooting over Finley and Manu.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crazy to think that all of the Spurs recent first round draft misses have been foreign players. Hopefully we're past the days of pundit's lazily mocking Eros to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crazy to think that all of the Spurs recent first round draft misses have been foreign players. Hopefully we're past the days of pundit's lazily mocking Eros to the Spurs.
    Well it’s harder to find out if white guys from Europe have parking tickets or jay walk so they will remain probable top candidates. If we can find more Euro’s like Manu, Tiago and Scola we will be back to greatness!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it’s harder to find out if white guys from Europe have parking tickets or jay walk so they will remain probable top candidates. If we can find more Euro’s like Manu, Tiago and Scola we will be back to greatness!!!
    Yeah, that’s not going to happen. The first real Euros to show they belonged were Sarunis Marciuliones and Drazen Petrovic. Both smashed the perception of Euros as soft. Unfortunately, Marciulionis’ career was cut short by injury, and Petrovic was killed in an auto accident in his mid 20s. The next wave included Dirk, skinny Gasol, Tony, and Manu, and they proved to have more staying power, being so successful that there will never be any more undiscovered Euros to be found late in the 1st or 2nd rounds. If you want to know why they drafted Sammich at 19, that’s why. He was about as unknown a Euro as your ever going to find, and we still would have missed him drafting in the late 20s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that’s not going to happen. The first real Euros to show they belonged were Sarunis Marciuliones and Drazen Petrovic. Both smashed the perception of Euros as soft. Unfortunately, Marciulionis’ career was cut short by injury, and Petrovic was killed in an auto accident in his mid 20s. The next wave included Dirk, skinny Gasol, Tony, and Manu, and they proved to have more staying power, being so successful that there will never be any more undiscovered Euros to be found late in the 1st or 2nd rounds. If you want to know why they drafted Sammich at 19, that’s why. He was about as unknown a Euro as your ever going to find, and we still would have missed him drafting in the late 20s.
    Their race and/or country of origin hardly matter. Half of this board thinks Manu is from Europe. 25% of this board can’t point out on a map the country Primo is from. If you can play ball you should get a shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their race and/or country of origin hardly matter. Half of this board thinks Manu is from Europe. 25% of this board can’t point out on a map the country Primo is from. If you can play ball you should get a shot.
    I’m not saying players don’t deserve a shot, I’m saying you’re not going to find HOF Euros at the end of the first or second rounds ever again. It would be like driving out to the American river in Cali to pan for gold. Everyone found out about that, and mined it bare over 150 years ago. The last really good Euro taken late in the first was Gobert, and he was raw AF, and it was 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not saying players don’t deserve a shot, I’m saying you’re not going to find HOF Euros at the end of the first or second rounds ever again. It would be like driving out to the American river in Cali to pan for gold. Everyone found out about that, and mined it bare over 150 years ago. The last really good Euro taken late in the first was Gobert, and he was raw AF, and it was 2013.
    Jokic disagrees. Is Serbia in Europe or Russia? I forget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic disagrees. Is Serbia in Europe or Russia? I forget.
    Fair. I guess you might pan a nugget or a bit of dust if you went to the American river. Not going to make a living at that, though. Jokic was like Samanic in that he had some red flags, fat, didn’t really care, etc. He panned out, and Sammich didn’t. Thinking this is a path to building a team around isn’t a good percentage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair. I guess you might pan a nugget or a bit of dust if you went to the American river. Not going to make a living at that, though. Jokic was like Samanic in that he had some red flags, fat, didn’t really care, etc. He panned out, and Sammich didn’t. Thinking this is a path to building a team around isn’t a good percentage.

What about Giannis? 2 time league MVP.
    Luka?

Sabonis (had a split upbringing in US and Lithuania)
    Saric
    Valanciunas
    Vucevic
    Nurkic
    Fornier
    Porzingis
    Bogdan Bogdanovic ATL
    Bojan Bogdanovic UTAH
    Satoransky

etc.

There's still lots of gold in them thar hills and not all of it is highly prospected immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ex didn't say that good players don't come from Europe. He didn't even say some guys from Europe won't end up vastly outperforming their draft spot. What he is saying is that teams aren't going to be able to do like SA did a couple of decades ago and find a huge untapped prospect market in Europe. Guys are getting scouted now, and obviously good prospects are going where their domestic counterparts are going ( , some of them WERE domestic college players). Most of the guys on that list were first-rounders if not lotto picks. Sam was certainly a more scouted prospect than Primo. The Spurs used to be able to get guys are a discount because of the European exchange rate. Now the currency is about the same, so they're gambles will look similar no matter where the players come from.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sammie probably didn't fit the Spurs culture for them to keep investing in him but he's only 2 years in. By year 4-6 he'll be a rotation piece for another team the Spurs will get credit for finding...and maybe he comes back

Thread Information