Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It helped a lot. Especially being on the ball," Primo said about his time with Austin. "It helped me feel a lot more comfortable bringing the ball up the floor. Coming off the screen. Making reads."

And Primo agrees with Bozic that Austin is the place to clean things up.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports...0-8bda5e09bb4c

Great to hear.

And Primo does not appear to be the type who would make an ass kissing comment re the organization just to survive / fit it.

Good news.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It helped a lot. Especially being on the ball," Primo said about his time with Austin. "It helped me feel a lot more comfortable bringing the ball up the floor. Coming off the screen. Making reads."

And Primo agrees with Bozic that Austin is the place to clean things up.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports...0-8bda5e09bb4c
    Straight from the horse's mouth.

Now, he might just be parroting the company line here. But I'm going to take his words at face value, and if he thinks being on the ball in the G-League is better for his development than being off the ball in the NBA I will trust his judgment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It only makes sense…. Other professional sports do it��������

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Straight from the horse's mouth.

Now, he might just be parroting the company line here. But I'm going to take his words at face value, and if he thinks being on the ball in the G-League is better for his development than being off the ball in the NBA I will trust his judgment.

To be honest, I think the question of Primo-- at age 18/19-- bouncing back & forth between the NBA and the G league for one season will not matter very much at all in terms of his long term development. I see all the bickering and posturing here about it as a serious case of much ado about nothing. By next season, he'll be a full time NBA guy, and where he goes from there will depend almost entirely on how hard he works, his mindset, etc... I really can't picture a reasonable scenario where Primo is disappointing at, say, age 24, and it can somehow be blamed on what happened this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dejounte's ball handling improved plenty by playing in the big leagues
    Dejounte played a full season in the gleague. Then he played in SA afterwards. No one says Primo will be in Austin for multiple years. He needs this one, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte played a full season in the gleague. Then he played in SA afterwards. No one says Primo will be in Austin for multiple years. He needs this one, though.
    his handling still sucked when he started playing with the spurs regularly

they improved over time... in the nba

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played 15 games in the gleague his only year there (not even 1/3 of a full season). Same year he played 38 in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his handling still sucked when he started playing with the spurs regularly

they improved over time... in the nba
    As will Primo’s next year, and beyond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I think the question of Primo-- at age 18/19-- bouncing back & forth between the NBA and the G league for one season will not matter very much at all in terms of his long term development. I see all the bickering and posturing here about it as a serious case of much ado about nothing. By next season, he'll be a full time NBA guy, and where he goes from there will depend almost entirely on how hard he works, his mindset, etc... I really can't picture a reasonable scenario where Primo is disappointing at, say, age 24, and it can somehow be blamed on what happened this year.
    Well said.

I understand the argument that Primo should play in the Majors considering we are likely a lottery team (still a chance at play-in btw), however it is not in the Spurs or Primo's best interests to do so.

Most had been clamoring for the ball to be taken out of DeRozan, LMA, Patty Mills and Rudy Gay's hands for the last few seasons, me included.
    The line of succession, (a Spurs culture mainstay I might add), is now allowing DJ, DW, Lonnie and to lesser extent KJ and Vassell to have opportunities operating on ball which they didn't have before.

My read on Primo is that while undoubtedly talented and probably one of the more well rounded overall players on the roster, there are skill gaps in the basics of the game ie. Simple pass completion, Off-ball screens, lackadaisical effort etc.

There just isn't the practice time in the pros to give that much dedicated time to honing his craft whilst actually getting in-game reps. for implementation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wrong. Learn to use google. Free information for smart asses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As will Primo’s next year, and beyond.
    yes... in the nba. not in the gleague where players can get away with subpar handling and develop poor habits

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes... in the nba. not in the gleague where players can get away with subpar handling and develop poor habits
    All depends on your organization…..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you see the hops last night?? #springs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you see the hops last night?? #springs
    He also did that jab step, crossover step back 3 again. It’s officially a move when you do it multiple times. If he can extend the range by about a foot, it’s going to be lethal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regulating begins:

Just wrong. Learn to use google. Free information for smart asses.
    He played 15 games in the gleague his only year there (not even 1/3 of a full season). Same year he played 38 in the NBA.

and:

On May 5, 2017, with Tony Parker ruled out for the rest of the playoffs with a leg injury, the Spurs opted to start Murray at point guard in Game 3 of their second-round series against the Houston Rockets. He scored two points in 15 minutes, as the Spurs took a 2–1 lead in the series with a 103–92 win. He helped the Spurs clinch the series against the Rockets with 11 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists in a Game 6 win. He became just the fourth rookie in Spurs history to record a point/rebound double-double in a playoff game, joining David Robinson, Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard. The Spurs went on to lose to the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His passing over the top of guys is probably best on the team, better than Murray already despite the progress Murray has made

Whether that's feeding the post or getting early offense with his head up on the hit ahead from the backcourt to frontcourt

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also did that jab step, crossover step back 3 again. It’s officially a move when you do it multiple times. If he can extend the range by about a foot, it’s going to be lethal.
    Insane move!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Primo is going to grow into a beast physically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Primo is going to grow into a beast physically.
    I’ll co-sign that thought. Just turned 19. If those tree trunks for legs he has are any indication of how his upper body fills out he’s probably going to be 6’6 or 6’7 220ish in 2-4 years. Joe Johnson build. If he can master bis handles I’d like to see him predominately as a 2 guard able to bully other guards.

Getting tired of Pop playing guys out of position. Use guys size to their advantage when possible instead of making things harder on them. I understand why Keldon has to play some 4 based on his inability to guard quicker players but Primo and Vassell need to spend most of their time at the 2.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll co-sign that thought. Just turned 19. If those tree trunks for legs he has are any indication of how his upper body fills out he’s probably going to be 6’6 or 6’7 220ish in 2-4 years. Joe Johnson build. If he can master bis handles I’d like to see him predominately as a 2 guard able to bully other guards.

Getting tired of Pop playing guys out of position. Use guys size to their advantage when possible instead of making things harder on them. I understand why Keldon has to play some 4 based on his inability to guard quicker players but Primo and Vassell need to spend most of their time at the 2.
    He’s just rounding out his game, making him more versatile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s just rounding out his game, making him more versatile
    I understand why he is playing some point in Austin, I just don’t want Pop forcing him to be a 3 which is where he seems to be playing when he gets time in the NBA, which I’m hoping is because of our current roster and not where they hope to use him most going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand why he is playing some point in Austin, I just don’t want Pop forcing him to be a 3 which is where he seems to be playing when he gets time in the NBA, which I’m hoping is because of our current roster and not where they hope to use him most going forward.
    I see him as a combo guard/SF like Demar who can facilitate. While Devin is more of a natural SG with his smooth shooting. I think our frontcourt of DJ/Devin/Primo will be sick. Zach Collins is only 24 and a lottery pick and hoping he can play 4. Then I think Spurs need a Myles Turner who can defend bigs one-on-one at 5. I’m excited what our big cap and assets can bring this trading deadline or latest come Summer.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see him as a combo guard/SF like Demar who can facilitate. While Devin is more of a natural SG with his smooth shooting. I think our frontcourt of DJ/Devin/Primo will be sick. Zach Collins is only 24 and a lottery pick and hoping he can play 4. Then I think Spurs need a Myles Turner who can defend bigs one-on-one at 5. I’m excited what our big cap and assets can bring this trading deadline or latest come Summer.
    Him working on the point in the G makes a ton of sense. He can clearly score but can he facilitate? That has to be the big question, because he’s not a big so being more than a glorified role player(hi Keldon) will be predicated on his ability to diversify his game on a higher level.

The way they’re developing him makes a ton of sense to me. Despite what the snobs here say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo’s game is one of the most aesthetically pleasing I’ve seen from a rook in a while. Everybody tried to copy Harden’s step back jumper. I think Primo can revolutionize the NBA that way if he can keep improving his offensive skillset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo isnt really ready for the NBA physically. He will be there in time and once he develops confidence in his game at the NBA level he will be even better.

He looks confident in the G league from the little I've seen. He seemed less confident in the NBA, which is to be expected from a kid who just turned 19. I think so many forget how young he really is. When Parker was his age, he had been a pro for what? 5 years already? Allowing Josh the ability to mature and develop his game as a pro in a less pressure packed environment will do him wonders long term.

Thread Information