Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    87-88,88-89, and 96-97 would like a word.
    If we're going with semantics, I wouldn't call the roster in 96-97 weak. It was injuries, not lack of talent, that did the Spurs in that season.

This is certainly looking like the weakest Spurs roster, talent-wise, in decades. The Spurs have had at least a borderline All-Star level talent on the roster every year since Robinson joined. This includes DeRozan and Aldridge in recent years. The only way I can see the Spurs getting an All-Star this year is if Murray or White makes a huge leap and starts putting up big numbers, and I don't see that as being very likely at all.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we're going with semantics, I wouldn't call the roster in 96-97 weak. It was injuries, not lack of talent, that did the Spurs in that season.

This is certainly looking like the weakest Spurs roster, talent-wise, in decades. The Spurs have had at least a borderline All-Star level talent on the roster every year since Robinson joined. This includes DeRozan and Aldridge in recent years. The only way I can see the Spurs getting an All-Star this year is if Murray or White makes a huge leap and starts putting up big numbers, and I don't see that as being very likely at all.
    Even before Robinson we had Alvin Robertson as an All Star and obviously Ice before that. In this narrow criteria of having a an All Star on the team, this could be the first time EVER. Which is amazing.

Obviously, we need a star, but I am sort of ok with an egalitarian approach to a team while getting back to contention and eventually having a star. But way less interested in drafting poorly. Let’s hope Primo is a fan favorite and isn’t recovering from injuries by the time he can legally drink.

But I digress...

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even before Robinson we had Alvin Robertson as an All Star and obviously Ice before that. In this narrow criteria of having a an All Star on the team, this could be the first time EVER. Which is amazing.

Obviously, we need a star, but I am sort of ok with an egalitarian approach to a team while getting back to contention and eventually having a star. But way less interested in drafting poorly. Let’s hope Primo is a fan favorite and isn’t recovering from injuries by the time he can legally drink.

But I digress...
    Good points. My Spurs fandom started when Robinson came into the league, so I don't know a lot about the team prior to that.

Bkref shows that Alvin Robertson made the All-Star team in 86-87 and 87-88, and while he missed it in 88-89 his stats weren't much different than 86-87 so "borderline All-Star" seems like an apt descriptor. You're quite right that, given my criterion, this year's Spurs team might be the worst one ever. Amazing.

Primo appears to have been a rather big gamble. Those are an unfortunate necessity in the Spurs' position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Popovich leaving at some point, the culture will change even more, and the long era of greatness in the post and hard defense will recede further in the mirror.

Certainly feels strange.
    Let's get you off your sniffing Pops shorts habit.
    California luxury addiction rehab (sunshinebehavioralhealth.com)

.jpg of Patty n Bryn defending on the floor at the same time.

the culture of the Spurs is heavy wine drinking by the FO. Bringing in good character guys while basketball skill is secondary and getting Pop the alltime winning record. That's the culture. I been saying they need a change in that department, but Spurs gonna Spurs
    The defense will undoubtedly massively pick up if ever Grandpa retires / passes away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo appears to have been a rather big gamble. Those are an unfortunate necessity in the Spurs' position.
    I did not save the link but thought it was a reputable source that had OKC or some other team not far behind the Spurs as going after Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow that puts it in real persoective. But I hated the Forbes/Beli/Mills combo the most, so you should put 19-20

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But I digress...
    If nothing else happens from now until game 1, I swear Spurs would be Sacramentoville. Damn, this is like bizzare universe. I’ve been a Spurs fan since DRob rookie year. The last two seasons have been unimaginable. It might just get worse.

you Kawhi… oh and you too Brian! Whose in nephew is he anyways??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted that right after my post-draft meltdown but before the FA signings and the Demar S&T. So, agreed, probably not our WORST roster ever at this point. Free agent signings and the aforementioned trade probably got us up two or three notches from "horrible" to "not compe ive".

If this ends up being the group we go with I'd say we'll land in the 25-35 win range.

Thread Information