Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, after mulling it over, watching some video of play, reading actual pre-draft analysis, picking up on how the draft was shifting...

I think the Spurs nailed both picks. Doesn't mean these are both going to pan out, but I do think these were great selections. I don't think Primo was a huge stretch and this is supported by the sense that other teams were after him nearby. My intense disappointment came from 1) my interest in Sengun, 2) why couldn't they trade down?

It's now apparent that at least two other teams were highly interested in Primo. If the Spurs traded slightly down to the Oklahoma City picks, it was very likely OKC pulled the trigger for Primo. I am of the opinion that media mock drafts lag behind what teams are actually thinking. As I've mentioned elsewhere, these sites only caught up the fact that Ziaire Williams was rising into the top 10 very late, and most didn't even get there. I'm of the belief that had another week elapsed, the same sites would have picked up on Primo's rise.

Now, of course we have too many guards. Of course Sengun is intriguing. But we can get rid of Lonnie Walker, we can just have a banquet of guards until things shake out. Vassell and Primo can both play wing.

But what intrigues about Primo is that he's pretty crafty and smooth with the ball, poised, and has multiple skills even before his promise as a shooter, and then he already has good tools as a defender, both physically and in skill. If you watch the combine game, you see. This isn't even mentioning his leadership skills -- he's drawing teammates together to discuss sets during dead balls... during a game where guys are normally after themselves. They're listening to him.

And he was the absolute youngest player in all of college basketball last year.

That's a bit nuts. To be perfectly honest, he looks like he's a good bit older than he is -- I don't mean in appearance, but in skill level. We've talked a lot about how he's a lottery pick next year, but I see it now. He's a lottery pick this year, too. He sure as has a lot to work on. A really big amount. But I don't think he gets lost in the G-League this year. I think he actually contributes. I have no idea what his ceiling is, but there really is something here, and it's a really good bet to take. I don't think there's a single player drafted after him, barring Sengun, that I would draft before him.

In short, I think he was rising on many team boards for a very good reason.

As for Cuppa Joe... at least one good analytic website said he would be better value than Corey Kispert. They aren't terribly different in production and one would be a 2nd round pick. What's great about him is that he doesn't just have great shooting on multiple levels -- placement, getting open, etc. -- he's actually deceptively athletic. And well-coached, at Iowa. But I don't think Wieskamp is seen as a mistake on this board.

But honestly, I think, against the big, prevailing narrative here and elsewhere, the Spurs actually had a potentially great draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coming from one of the most optimistic spur fans on here..fck it im sold

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Count me in as well! Underpass crew lol I hope he shows out in the summer league, one thing that people forget is after I’d say pick 7 in the draft, the talent level from like 8 to 23 was pretty even so might as well take the guy that you believe in.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Support Cousin Josh!

I mean...what the else can you do other than support at this point, anyway?

I hope he has a growth spurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah I'm in too. that SI article SAGirl posted convinced me there was actual smoke to why they didn't trade down. after seeing that I posted in that thread I was wrong to be mad they didn't trade down if they had him as their BPA.

kid is gonna be good, of that I have little doubt. just hope he's better than Sengun, Moody, and Garuba though that seems to be unlikely to be demonstrated in first year or two given the traditional slow pace of developing young draft picks.

Here's to Cuz and a stellar career!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just in case no one knew….. he’s going to wear jersey #11 for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm very intrigued by both players after seeing videos of them and feel more confident about their abilities than Samanic's. They also come off as players that want to be good at what they do and improve along with being high character guys. I'm optimistic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at you guys growing up right before my eyes! I’m so proud of you guys......pulled your heads out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now get over the penthouse we have a little room....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I am in - he is wearing my old jersey number 11 so I will take that as a good Omen.lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Draft Pick Life Cycle

1. OMG! WTF! That was a terrible pick. Pop and all his minions need to be fired. There were so many better players on the board!
    2. Hmmm ... you know what, I actually kinda like the pick! <---- You Are Here
    3. I can't believe Pop isn't playing the pick! Pop is ruining the best young player on the roster! Like I said from the beginning, this pick is a special player.
    4. Wow. This player is so much better than everyone else in the rotation he's competing against.
    5. I'm so glad the Spurs drafted the player I wanted.
    6. Eh, he's pretty good but the new youngsters deserve his minutes now.
    7. OMG! WTF! Why won't Pop stop playing his pets? This guy sucks and always sucked. I don't even know why the Spurs drafted him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. OMG! WTF! That was a terrible pick. Pop and all his minions need to be fired. There were so many better players on the board!
    3. I can't believe Pop isn't playing the pick! Pop is ruining the best young player on the roster! Like I said from the beginning, this pick is a special player.
    4. Wow. This player is so much better than everyone else in the rotation he's competing against.
    7. OMG! WTF! Why won't Pop stop playing his pets? This guy sucks and always sucked. I don't even know why the Spurs drafted him.
    Holy it’s too accurate

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Spurs Draft Pick Life Cycle *for homers with no spine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of the same mindset that this is a good late lottery pick. A couple lesser known analysts had him top 10, likely the ones who actually researched him.

Everyone was saying he was a reach, without knowing why is a clear indication that they didn't do much homework on the kid.

His leadership and knowledge of the game at his age is very high. His shooting can be elite and he has the tools to be an above average defender. From all accounts of people close, he was actually asked to do very little but run the team. They had a losing record before putting him to start if I remember correct. It's been said a few times he can much more than what he was asked to do at school.

I think he has as good a chance as anyone late lottery to develop into an actual star player.

Every year people say the drop off from 15-25 really isn't much but go crazy if they pick a 25 guy at 15. Somethings gotta give eventually.

I haven't seen anything not to like about the kid besides his inexperience. And with what experience he has had, he has exceled every step.

I'm in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is hilarious.

- Murray and Walker have graduated to step 7
    - Keldon is at 4
    - Vassel at 3
    - is Luka still stuck at 1?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I 100% believe it if OKC was signaling they wanted the kid at 16. Honestly it’s a crap shoot after 10 anyway, though, man, that Sengun kid had such a unique skill set. I hope that one doesn’t come back to bite us in ass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All aboard the Primo express

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2.5. I think he’ll make the Hall of Fame

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tbh most of ST went from 1 to 2 very quickly once people started researching the kid more closely.

I remember the backlash after drafting Derrick White over ST darlings Josh Hart, Jonah Bolden and Jordan Bell was much worse. This one had more meltdown potential but it's not that bad really. People in stage 1 should dig up that 2017 draft thread and read some.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like I said in other threads, his game is pretty advanced for an 18 year-old. He has All-Star potential, I'm just worried about the lack of speed and athleticism. Maybe he can improve there, he's young. Ideal scenario is he grows some more and can slide up to SF. He won't have to be so quick playing the 3. That's what I'm hoping for
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 07-31-2021 at 09:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are We Talking Like Dejounte Now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like I said in other threads, his game is pretty advanced for an 18 year-old. He has All-Star potential, I'm just worried about the lack of speed and athleticism. Maybe he can improve there, he's young. Ideal scenario is he grows some more and can slide up to SF. He won't have to be so quick playing the 3. That's what I'm hoping for
    Tbh while athleticism is good, it's not much of an issue with how the current playstyle of NBA.

Prolly he could be a Bradley Beal, CJ McCollum type of player but worst maybe something like Nick Young or past prime JR Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude's a ing scrub and OP is a got.

Thread Information