Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My 2 cents- if we landed Collins, to me, that signals a win now approach (or at least a compete now approach). So I'd want to use my remaining space and even white or DJ + maybe future/other assets to to go after another high level starter at the 2 or 3 spot. I'm not sure who that would be for sure...maybe McCollum or someone on that level..
    Probably a vet shooter like McDermott, resign Dieng. But I'm also in favour bring DDR back with Collins starting. But money would be tight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My shock scenario would be paying Fournier something like 4/80 and play him at SF.

Dude did a show off with FNT against USA.. I hope this is not going to give ideas to Pop...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope we can hold on to Dieng at a reasonable price. I know that would be breaking the "age rule", but he would fill a vital role as a stretch forward and could provide some veteran leadership to a young rebuilding team without putting us in position to lose too many lottery balls.

Also, he surprised everybody by choosing the Spurs when he was bought out, and I'd like that faith to be rewarded...I doubt he wanted to come along for a 1 month ride on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A topic for discussion : if the Spurs hypothetically manage to land John Collins, how would you use the rest of the cap space and the room exception?
    That’s a great question and by far the scenario I have thought most about. If SA gets Collins:

I would love to see them S&T DDR. I know him walking is most important but if they secure Collins, they will still have lots of cap space and I would like to see them get a player at the wing/or big + pick. You get Collins and that’s most important then give yourself the easiest way to more assets by doing a S&T vs trading a guard whose value isn’t higher yet.

Then as the roles expand this season you can trade white or Murray or Lonnie once they get value up.

One of the main reasons I want to see this is that I want to see legit signs of creativity and a plan from the FO and doing a S&T is a nice baby step vs having to trade the guards at pennies on the dollar due to cir stance.

But if they get Collins basically I want to see trades for assets: S&T first, absorbing a bad deal 2nd or trading logjams 3rd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing like embracing a rebuild with a 72 yo coach that still looks over to the bench trying to sub Manu in

Y'all are in for a world of hurt this Free Agency period tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a great question and by far the scenario I have thought most about. If SA gets Collins:

I would love to see them S&T DDR. I know him walking is most important but if they secure Collins, they will still have lots of cap space and I would like to see them get a player at the wing/or big + pick. You get Collins and that’s most important then give yourself the easiest way to more assets by doing a S&T vs trading a guard whose value isn’t higher yet.

Then as the roles expand this season you can trade white or Murray or Lonnie once they get value up.

One of the main reasons I want to see this is that I want to see legit signs of creativity and a plan from the FO and doing a S&T is a nice baby step vs having to trade the guards at pennies on the dollar due to cir stance.

But if they get Collins basically I want to see trades for assets: S&T first, absorbing a bad deal 2nd or trading logjams 3rd
    Unless they do some black magic with the moratorium dates, they wouldn't be able to offer the max to Collins while keeping DDR's cap hold ($40 mil) in order to do a sign and trade, they'd have to renounce him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article. One guy who could be an one year rental bet is Bobby Portis if neither Markannen or John Collins pan out for some reason.

But that said, John Collins is a must have. He fits the Spurs timeline, need and there can be a mutual getting together of aims.
    Another backup option for shooting could be Svi Mikhailiuk if Patty Mills is also leaving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless they do some black magic with the moratorium dates, they wouldn't be able to offer the max to Collins while keeping DDR's cap hold ($40 mil) in order to do a sign and trade, they'd have to renounce him.
    True; was thinking it would be an order of operations thing; tell Collins he will get full max. Him say he wants the Spurs (but without signing formal offer), execute S&T then present offer

Definitely requires trust from Collins but Sa most trustworthy team in NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True; was thinking it would be an order of operations thing; tell Collins he will get full max. Him say he wants the Spurs (but without signing formal offer), execute S&T then present offer

Definitely requires trust from Collins but Sa most trustworthy team in NBA
    Yeah it'd be difficult but doable if DDR takes around $20 mil per. S&T him , get Dragic + minor asset back, renounce everyone else and they might just squeeze a Collins max in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it'd be difficult but doable if DDR takes around $20 mil per. S&T him , get Dragic + minor asset back, renounce everyone else and they might just squeeze a Collins max in.
    And based on all this mle for ddr talk, 18-20M per is way more palatable for him one would think. Even if it’s not mia, if he wants LA/Cali, Clippers and GS are in Lakers for Westbrook type territory too. They should be options even though we haven’t heard anything on that front.

Ideally, there’s truth to Washington etc. there are other teams that make a S&T way easier IF ddr isn’t set on MIA or LA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And based on all this mle for ddr talk, 18-20M per is way more palatable for him one would think. Even if it’s not mia, if he wants LA/Cali, Clippers and GS are in Lakers for Westbrook type territory too. They should be options even though we haven’t heard anything on that front.

Ideally, there’s truth to Washington etc. there are other teams that make a S&T way easier IF ddr isn’t set on MIA or LA
    I'm not sure I'd want anything from Washington or Clippers in a S&T. Rather use the cap space than taking back ty contracts just for the sake of saying they haven't lost DDR for nothing. Dragic I'd only want because Dallas are bound to burn a 1st rounder for him at some point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure I'd want anything from Washington or Clippers in a S&T. Rather use the cap space than taking back ty contracts just for the sake of saying they haven't lost DDR for nothing. Dragic I'd only want because Dallas are bound to burn a 1st rounder for him at some point
    I guess that’s where many vs me diverge. There’s really not anyone in FA I want other than Collins. I’d rather get back a low contract like Kuzma (no different than say wasting $ on Oubre) and at least get a pick too.

Or at least get Kuminga and/or Wiseman from GS etc…there’s no one after Collins I’d want SA to give more than a one year deal to in the scenario we get Collins.

If we whiff on Collins then getting picks is even more important imo since there is no one else they should be giving big $ too..

So it’s not at all just for sake of getting something imo; it’s about the situation with no FA worth the money and getting a pick(s) for that $ instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like Derozan + Murray for Wiggins + Wiseman + Kuminga even though Gs has shown no inclination to doing anything like that. They seem to want to hedge on winning now vs youth

Edit: yes I understand hard cap is an issue for GS. Not sure if there’s a way to make it work (haven’t done math) but just spit balling here
    Last edited by DPG21920; 08-02-2021 at 10:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop just read this and is now busy structuring FIBA Patty's three year $51MM contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My 2 cents- if we landed Collins, to me, that signals a win now approach (or at least a compete now approach). So I'd want to use my remaining space and even white or DJ + maybe future/other assets to to go after another high level starter at the 2 or 3 spot. I'm not sure who that would be for sure...maybe McCollum or someone on that level..
    I don’t think it would take too much to land Harrison Barnes. They’re motivated to move him. He’s a 3-4, but do we really need more 2-3s?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Hollinger reports that the only guy he is hearing about the Spurs - ..."Daniel Theis". Wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Hollinger reports that the only guy he is hearing about the Spurs - ..."Daniel Theis". Wow
    The Spurs are connected to everybody and nobody at the same time. They are everywhere and nowhere.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guaranteed to be no one on this list, though maybe THT because he’s short and can’t shoot threes. Joking?

I still like Exstatic’s Barnes idea, but that takes maneuvering.

I think resigning Dieng is a much higher probability than people think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Wright’s words post-draft, doesn’t sound like they would be going for THT. He said they would go for size and shooting.
    missed that, but that sounds like lauri to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that's what I been saying. If they can get Collins and then do a trade for a Myles Turner for example that team would look pretty good. Of course I don't expect none of that to happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something screwy was going on with centers & Chicago last year: Daniel Gafford and Luke Kornet flourished pretty dramatically after leaving, and Theis shot the worst 3pt% and eFG% of his career after arriving there, along with posting the worst metrics of his 4 year career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's what I been saying. If they can get Collins and then do a trade for a Myles Turner for example that team would look pretty good. Of course I don't expect none of that to happen
    You can’t get Collins without renouncing DDR and his $40M cap hold. Once you do that, you can’t S$T him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think it would take too much to land Harrison Barnes. They’re motivated to move him. He’s a 3-4, but do we really need more 2-3s?
    When I say get a high lever 2 or 3 I'm assuming we send some of our current 2's or 3's out in the deal so we aren't overcrowded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t get Collins without renouncing DDR and his $40M cap hold. Once you do that, you can’t S$T him.
    I know that. But you can sign and trade him and then throw some money at Collins. Just cause I mentioned it in the wrong order doesn't mean it wouldn't work. The Spurs should have a sign-and-trade deal in place already if they are smart. Of course I assume they don't

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s up timvp. Thanks for the write up. I feel the biggest needs are at the PF and SF position. Not many options out there for the SF position. Read somewhere that the Sixers are shopping Harris. I hate his contract, but I think his game fits here. Your thoughts? Maybe a S&T for DeRozan or is that too desperate as far as using that much money on him for a couple of years?

Thread Information