Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101 LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2513
    Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NYC stats were also mentioned in this 8/12 NY Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/n...w-yorkers.html

Evidently the underpinning is a distrust of government based on the articles interviewing of "some" residents, with a myriad of explanations set forth.

Locally, this is from the left leaning Texas Tribune out of Austin.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08...e-republicans/

Blacks have the lowest shot rate in Texas at 32.9, whites at 42.9, Spanish at 41 and far easterners at 60%.

I think the message mo7888 is presenting is to not frame Corona shot rates as right wing conservatives comprising the vast sum of holdouts. It's across the board in political demographic terms based on this month old TT article. ...The Times article explains a possibility of misgivings among the NYC group, yet truly if the intent is to safeguard health then dismissing (sanctioning?) non-compliance of any sort doesn't jibe (my thinking). RE: June 2020.

Regardless, irrespective, and Irregardless to all of that, Wiggins, Irving, heck even James may not have gotten the shot. Of issues from which you can cut a clear partisan slice, Coronavirus shots has a mold of soggy noodles. Gleaning off of what these periodicals are presenting, tbh.
    The large majority of those who aren't vaccinating are doing so as a result of the storm of misinformation, misleading articles and general lies that originate from one general group.

Those same people who are passing on this vaccine are largely vaccinated for all the regular stuff like polio, measles, chicken pox etc. There decisions aren't rooted in a long standing belief of being vaccine hesitant. Those new revelations were born out of the alt news campaign that has been created within just a few small circles. IE ute, natural news and the 50-60 alt news sites that are all owned and run by the same company with the same circle of contributors back linking each other. Some of those sites pivoted overnight from election expertise to viral expertise all because that's what's selling to their base.

Until the data addresses causation then its really a moot point. We have yet to see a stat or data set that suggests unvaccinated black people or minorities in general have long held those beliefs. You know, because its not true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, could you imagine having so much money that you’re like “nah, I’m cool, keep your 8M, I don’t want a little booboo on my arm for 3 days.”
    Unreal...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone's favorite iconoclast, FSU legend, and God willing future San Antonio Spur signee, Jonathan Livingston Isaac, gave remarkable background on his vacine opinion along with general commentary that's worth a full listen.

***Clips of this Q&A are trending on Twitter if you want just the prominent soundbites.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One question I have is why are we still referring the shot as a Vaccine? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t a Vaccine STOP you from getting the disease? So with the Delta variant it has shown it does not stop you from getting Covid but it does STOP you from dying. So it’s like a Flu shot and like the Flu which is always mutating different shots will have to be created every year.

Also since only a very small percentage of the world has been given the shot we are seeing a variety of Mutations that appear I wonder how long or the likely hood that a more dangerous variant appears? And since this is not a disease created by nature ie. Created in Wuhan Covid lab to be able to make the human to human transfer what variants were created in lab and are more serious ones yet to come?

So unfortunately since no one has created a True Vaccine we still will be wearing masks and dealing with the Flu/COVID shots every year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One question I have is why are we still referring the shot as a Vaccine? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t a Vaccine STOP you from getting the disease? So with the Delta variant it has shown it does not stop you from getting Covid but it does STOP you from dying. So it’s like a Flu shot and like the Flu which is always mutating different shots will have to be created every year.

Also since only a very small percentage of the world has been given the shot we are seeing a variety of Mutations that appear I wonder how long or the likely hood that a more dangerous variant appears? And since this is not a disease created by nature ie. Created in Wuhan Covid lab to be able to make the human to human transfer what variants were created in lab and are more serious ones yet to come?

So unfortunately since no one has created a True Vaccine we still will be wearing masks and dealing with the Flu/COVID shots every year
    I can't answer all of this, but the fraction of the world that been vaccinated is no longer small. Even some parts of the developing world (especially in the Middle East) are well into double digit vaccination rates. And for some of the population, I would anticipate that yes, like with the flu shot, they will likely need an annual COVID shot that deals with new strains. (I would be in this group)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you have to ask this question then don’t make any assertions about the shot ever again. You don’t understand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One question I have is why are we still referring the shot as a Vaccine? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t a Vaccine STOP you from getting the disease? So with the Delta variant it has shown it does not stop you from getting Covid but it does STOP you from dying.
    No vaccine is 100% effective, but in general they 'train' the body how to react should they encounter whatever malady the vaccine is for. You are misinformed about what vaccines are. Yes, the Covid vaccine can prevent people from getting the virus. If a person has what is called a breakthrough case, the case is likely to be much more mild than otherwise.

To be honest, I am completely astonished at the lack of education in the United States on very basic things.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hi. Yes it is true that vaccines are ideally supposed to eradicate disease. However, there is no such thing as a vaccine that is 100% effective. Current studies have shown that the COVID vaccines are effective in preventing infections 60-90% of the time, depending on the brand in question (Pfizer, Moderna, and Astrazenica seem to be the most consistently highly protective brands). In addition to it preventing the disease a certain % of the time, the vaccine prevents severe illness significantly once the patient finishes their doses. There was actually a study recently that it prevents transmission, infection, and death even further if you get a booster dose in the form of Pfizer. When compared to people who are fully vaccinated (2 doses for all brands except j and j) vs people who got the booster, reduction of rate of infection by about 80% was observed and severe ill ess saw a reduction of 90%. It's significant because those who have 2 doses are already protected to begin with. Those who get the booster are even further protected. I'll link it below if anybody cares to read.

I personally think refusing to call the vaccine a vaccine just because it isn't 100% effective is splitting hairs at this point. No one drug/therapy/management option is ever 100% efficacious. Even the small pox vaccine back in the first few years of its use still would only prevent severe illness.

A good portion of the world population is already vaccinated. We will achieve herd immunity eventually. It's just that if we continue to not educate and help remove vaccine hesitancy, the virus can mutate such that we will eventually have to consider yearly booster doses.

Also as a side note, it's difficult to make claims that the virus was created in a lab when genome studies show it started as several mutations that jumped between different animal species from the Wuhan wet market, where there's basically no quality and sanitary control.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2114255

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Vaccines don't stop the virus. They prepare your body to fight it. They give your body instructions for creating anti-viral tools. Those tools are better equipped to reduce the impact of the virus.

The quicker the body overcomes it, the less it spreads, the quicker it fades away, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 28 percent of Black New Yorkers ages 18 to 44 are fully vaccinate

I'll just drop this here for no particular reason...
    nah, the reason is because you’re a racist,

https://news.yahoo.com/hospitals-nur...080009768.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Mark Twain

I'm learning....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please have consideration to people who go to this thread for Free Agency forum. I have as much opinion on the subject of vaccine. But please, this thread is not the forum for it. Please take it somewhere else. Create a new thread for if you need to. Thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

a vaccine gives you the antibodies needed to fight off a virus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 28 percent of Black New Yorkers ages 18 to 44 are fully vaccinate

I'll just drop this here for no particular reason...
    just dropping a stat painting people of a particular race in a negative light

"for no particular reason"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just dropping a stat painting people of a particular race in a negative light

"for no particular reason"
    If you go back and read what this was in reference too you'll see it wasn't painting anyone in a negative light. It was simply stating a fact to counter a statement someone else made in regard to who is or is not getting vaccinated. It's not any particular demographic that is avoiding it...that was the point..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted to give a shout out to Danny Green who will pass 100M career earnings at the end of his current contract with 3 x

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I weep for our education system. People willing to get brainwashed by YouTube but unwilling to apply even a little logic or defer to experts that have studied science for decades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I weep for our education system. People willing to get brainwashed by YouTube but unwilling to apply even a little logic or defer to experts that have studied science for decades
    I just visited with my twin nieces. They're under 10 and their knowledge of social media is frightening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

Mark Twain

I'm learning....
    Check it out, this racist is quoting another racist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10609363[/URL]]Please have consideration to people who go to this thread for Free Agency forum. I have as much opinion on the subject of vaccine. But please, this thread is not the forum for it. Please take it somewhere else. Create a new thread for if you need to. Thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please have consideration to people who go to this thread for Free Agency forum. I have as much opinion on the subject of vaccine. But please, this thread is not the forum for it. Please take it somewhere else. Create a new thread for if you need to. Thank you.
    thank you for this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can close the thread because we are not signing anymore free agents of consequence in 2021.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One question I have is why are we still referring the shot as a Vaccine? Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t a Vaccine STOP you from getting the disease? ...

That is the correct use of the term, yes.

For those who lack the ability to use an online dictionary:

---
    vaccine
    noun
    any preparation used as a preventive inoculation to confer immunity against a specific disease, usually employing an innocuous form of the disease agent, as killed or weakened bacteria or viruses, to stimulate antibody production.
    ---

Vaccines are for the prevention of a disease. They confer immunity.

Those who want to use the term to mean "any shot" are just ignorantly wrong.

And of course those who get most deeply involved in online discussions of this kind are almost always the ones who are the most ignorant of the subject. Those who are the most ignorant have the most room, in their own minds, to be preachy and pig-headed, at endless length.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is the correct use of the term, yes.

For those who lack the ability to use an online dictionary:

---
    vaccine
    noun
    any preparation used as a preventive inoculation to confer immunity against a specific disease, usually employing an innocuous form of the disease agent, as killed or weakened bacteria or viruses, to stimulate antibody production.
    ---

Vaccines are for the prevention of a disease. They confer immunity.

Those who want to use the term to mean "any shot" are just ignorantly wrong.

And of course those who get most deeply involved in online discussions of this kind are almost always the ones who are the most ignorant of the subject. Those who are the most ignorant have the most room, in their own minds, to be preachy and pig-headed, at endless length.
    I'm of the opinion that the thread should be used as intended, and not as some provax/antivax -slinging contest, but I'll correct you on this before going back to the shadows:

The COVID vaccine(s) are referred to as such, and correctly, because they do grant immunization against the virus - just not perfect, absolute immunity, like the anti-vax crowd "demands" in order to take the shot. Matter of fact, most vaccines don't offer absolute immunity, and historically there have been multiple vaccines which outright infected the people who took them. Take smallpox, for example: the original vaccines outright infected people with a different, less severe version of 'pox, called cowpox, and even the most widely available and used vaccine to treat smallpox, called Dryvax, wasn't 100%, and had a non-insignificant percentage of serious, do ented side effects: "The vaccine is effective, providing successful immunogenicity in about 95% of vaccinated persons. Dryvax has serious adverse side-effects in about 1% to 2% of cases". Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6532594/

So yeah, that's bull , the COVID vaccines, while obviously far away still from a %95 success rate, are still effective and worth taking.

Can we go back to discussing free agents now? That'd be great...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm of the opinion that the thread should be used as intended, and not as some provax/antivax -slinging contest, but I'll correct you on this before going back to the shadows:

The COVID vaccine(s) are referred to as such, and correctly, because they do grant immunization against the virus - just not perfect, absolute immunity, like the anti-vax crowd "demands" in order to take the shot. Matter of fact, most vaccines don't offer absolute immunity, and historically there have been multiple vaccines which outright infected the people who took them. Take smallpox, for example: the original vaccines outright infected people with a different, less severe version of 'pox, called cowpox, and even the most widely available and used vaccine to treat smallpox, called Dryvax, wasn't 100%, and had a non-insignificant percentage of serious, do ented side effects: "The vaccine is effective, providing successful immunogenicity in about 95% of vaccinated persons. Dryvax has serious adverse side-effects in about 1% to 2% of cases". Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6532594/

So yeah, that's bull , the COVID vaccines, while obviously far away still from a %95 success rate, are still effective and worth taking.

Can we go back to discussing free agents now? That'd be great...
    Don’t all these guys up with reality. They don’t understand it.

Crazy how these patriots are ready to take up arms and trade gun fire with imaginary enemies until it means getting a tiny boo boo on their shoulder then it’s all “ Americans”. Because they never gave a about anyone but themselves in the first place.

Thread Information