Page 24 of 101 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Collins gamble is somewhat defensible if the have a good medical report from the agent and they have outs in the contract. The Dermott signing I don’t get at all. Yes, we need outside shooting, but this team is devoid of all stars. Why spend so much on a 28 year old forward that is on a different timeline. If he pans out, he just makes you win games you need to lose and either way, he’s robbing precious minutes of players in need of minutes to develop.
    Why would POR not pay him 7M for only one year if he has any kind of upside?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they sign Collins to a max offer sheet, I could overlook McDermott and Collins. But the return of DD? Game over.
    Overlook implies you disapprove of the McDermott and Collins signings, regardless of whether John Collins comes here or not. I think the way the front office sees it is they're complementary pieces that would fit well in a roster with John Collins at the helm of the frontcourt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont know tbh…he was a marquee name in free agency and wasn’t even remotely considered for the teams with cap space. And we same questionable deals for sure

Now, it’s basically teams with MLE and they are still questioning making a hard push for him??? For the MLE…
    He’s never committed to the MLE. He will be a sign and trade player. I don’t think he’ll do a mid level unless it’s a one year player option on a contender. But I believe there are a bunch of teams that want him. It’s just setting the market and coming up with an attractive sign and trade offer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont know tbh…he was a marquee name in free agency and wasn’t even remotely considered for the teams with cap space. And we same questionable deals for sure

Now, it’s basically teams with MLE and they are still questioning making a hard push for him??? For the MLE…
    👋

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would POR not pay him 7M for only one year if he has any kind of upside?
    They don’t have time for upside or to wait 8 months. They have to keep Lillard happy and keep them compe ive as soon as the season starts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, even if PATFO want DeRozan back, why the would he want to play for this team at his age? Shouldn't he want to play for a contender?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, even if PATFO want DeRozan back, why the would he want to play for this team at his age? Shouldn't he want to play for a contender?
    He'll go where the money is tbh. No real contender is gonna offer him more than scraps at this point anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can wait it out on DDR. Offer Collins the max then when that doesn't work out sign DDR to a 1 or 2 year deal. I know DDR wanted more years but he wouldn't have much choice at that point but to take it once the market dries up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s never committed to the MLE. He will be a sign and trade player. I don’t think he’ll do a mid level unless it’s a one year player option on a contender. But I believe there are a bunch of teams that want him. It’s just setting the market and coming up with an attractive sign and trade offer.
    He has no choice….S&T isn’t just up to him and if SA says no? There’s no one with cap space..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don’t have time for upside or to wait 8 months. They have to keep Lillard happy and keep them compe ive as soon as the season starts.
    But losing him didn’t get them anymore money or anything..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i see McDermott as win now. So I think the Spurs are not tanking and would be good w DDR on a short and reasonable contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll go where the money is tbh. No real contender is gonna offer him more than scraps at this point anyway.
    True but maybe he'll sign and get traded to a contender by the deadline next season like LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i see McDermott as win now. So I think the Spurs are not tanking and would be good w DDR on a short and reasonable contract.
    Listen to what you are saying…McDermott is win now so sign DDR? So the only difference in the same team that missed the playoffs twice is a year older DDR and swapping Mills/Rudy for Doug/Injured Collins and that’s enough to reasonably say “yeah, the last two seasons weren’t enough, but this is!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True but maybe he'll sign and get traded to a contender by the deadline next season like LMA.
    LMA was bought out, not traded. Could see the Spurs "doing right" by him after he's resigned.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But losing him didn’t get them anymore money or anything..
    A roster spot. I don’t know. I think he is a good player, if healthy, but I can only assume that if everyone here understands that Collins has health issues, then the Spurs brass did too and exercised due diligence. I hope that’s the case. If not, then they deserve to pay 21 million for zero minutes played.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keeping Zollins could have been a public relations blessing for Olshey. If Zollins was able to play at the end of the year and look like he was an NBA rotation player, it would have been a feel-good story. I can picture the press conference now: "This is a family. And we have our family's backs. That's why we brought Zollins back, we believed in him, and now, he's like a comeback player of the year. As long as we stick together, we can do anything!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA was bought out, not traded. Could see the Spurs "doing right" by him after he's resigned.
    The past season is a blur to me so I forgot what actually happened lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A roster spot. I don’t know. I think he is a good player, if healthy, but I can only assume that if everyone here understands that Collins has health issues, then the Spurs brass did too and exercised due diligence. I hope that’s the case. If not, then they deserve to pay 21 million for zero minutes played.
    I mean, with Carroll the odds are more likely they pay him not to play than him contributing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listen to what you are saying…McDermott is win now so sign DDR? So the only difference in the same team that missed the playoffs twice is a year older DDR and swapping Mills/Rudy for Doug/Injured Collins and that’s enough to reasonably say “yeah, the last two seasons weren’t enough, but this is!”
    I’m just trying to make sense of signing a 28 year old player for this roster at what Spurs paid. I don’t get it. But I don’t think rebuild involves paying a 28 year old to steal valuable minutes from young players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just trying to make sense of signing a 28 year old player for this roster at what Spurs paid. I don’t get it. But I don’t think rebuild involves paying a 28 year old to steal valuable minutes from young players.
    He's gonna be 30 in January.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no making sense of it IMO…its just the same one foot in, one foot out FO. Too scared to really push for PO and trade youth/picks for better players and even more scared to truly rebuild.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DDR is back for another go, what really worries me is Pop doesn't get he shouldn't be playing either him or KJ at the 4. Split them up. Seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the sniffers deserve another 3 years of ddr and fighting for that 10th seed. This front office really are on the brink of total failure this offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A restricted free agent may sign an offer sheet with a new team, although the 48-hour matching period does not begin until the conclusion of the Moratorium.

Found that in the CBA. So, for example, the Spurs could sign John Collins right now ... but the 48-hour clock doesn't begin until Friday. Thus, the strategy would be to wait until Friday to officially give him the offer sheet, right?

I mean, obviously, you don't get that much of an advantage by delaying it -- but even a slight advantage may be helpful. If you try to put a poison pill in the contract or something like that, you'd want the Hawks to have only 48 hours to look it over rather than like a week or whatever it'd be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I have a baaaad feeling that the Spurs are keeping that salary cap room open for DeRozan

Thread Information