Page 40 of 101 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2513
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can renounce DeRozan and still sign and trade him. In theory, if DDR and Lauri were S&T for say 8M each, SA would still have 20M to offer Collins. Obviously that is so unrealistic it’s not worth discussing, but it’s possible.

However, as I mentioned in my 3 team trade scenario which I think may be a likely framework IF SA really wants Collins:

SA Gets: Collins + Thad Young + Top 5 protected pick (likely from CHI)

ATL Gets: Dejounte Murray

CHI Gets: DeRozan (and then they still have Lauri they can keep or sign and trade as well).

I think CHI easily does that if they are serious about wanting DDR. Giving up only Thad + a pick is a no brainer IMO.

ATL very likely does it if they are truly willing to let Collins walk anyways; that’s a no brainer.

Question really is: Does SA do this? Do they even want Collins at his max? Are they willing to trade Murray for a lottery pick (or maybe just outside of lottery)?
    Outside of the Collins part - called the Bulls package and why they would do it pretty well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What bruh? Kawhi got a le and two max deals.

Spurs missed the playoffs, are dead last in the division and have no franchise player or chance of making the playoffs anytime soon. Yeah,worked out great lol
    Don't forget, Brian paid Masai for this privilege

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget, Brian paid Masai for this privilege

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think that's a great trade?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or when it’s all said and done are they closer to exactly where they have been: Seed 8-12? If the answer is 8-12, despite freeing the youth up, you have to ask? Was anything they did worth it?
    They'll be in the inner circle for the race for the 1st pick along with: Rockets, Thunder, Magic. Other candidates: Cavaliers, Pistons, Timberwolves, Kings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What bruh? Kawhi got a le and two max deals.

Spurs missed the playoffs, are dead last in the division and have no franchise player or chance of making the playoffs anytime soon. Yeah,worked out great lol
    We got rid of a cancer who caught the franchise by surprise...can't put a price tag on peace of mind. In return we got Mr. Olympian Keldon Johnson, potential bargaining chip contracts (aminu/young), some future 2nds(meh) and a future 1st. We won

Trust the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    5m
    Morris is agreeing to a one-year deal with the Heat, source tells ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Free agent F Markieff Morris is finalizing a deal with the Miami Heat, sources tell ESPN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the “good” side but it was bare min imo.

You could have let the vets walk as FA, that took no effort and should have been obvious. But you have a lottery pick and 50M in cap space and you land:

29 year old bad defender who literally conflicts with both the rebuild and cap space you seemed to value next year in Doug

Injured big man but at least hes young

Old Thad and Aminu

And a top 10 protected pick that conveys 4 years from now.

Is that a really creative good job for having 50M blank slate and a lottery pick? I’d say no. It’s not a disaster, but it’s bare minimum stuff and quite wasteful overall with still some conflicting plans which is worrisome.

Now, if the Collins deal is fully non guaranteed and Doug is team option 3rd year and they flip Thad/Aminu that can change things.

But as of now, 50M in space and a lottery pick turning into no good players along side your youth and one first 4 years away is hard for me to celebrate as a win. But the youth is freed so that is good (depending on how much Pop now relies on the new vets in Doug/Thad/Aminu).

Again - simple questions: Did they truly accelerate their future with players/picks in a meaningful way? Did they get closer to the playoffs?

Or when it’s all said and done are they closer to exactly where they have been: Seed 8-12? If the answer is 8-12, despite freeing the youth up, you have to ask? Was anything they did worth it?
    E: I apologize in advance for the length of this post my guy, I'll try and keep 'em shorter for next time, wasn't checking while writing

At this point, Dude, it's clear to me that you're kind of -bent on looking at everything the Spurs do in the worst possible light. Possibly to confirm your pre-existing biases. I wouldn't take the time to answer you if I didn't believe you truly want to discuss in earnest, because you have troll-levels of bad optics regarding any move the Spurs do, it's astounding tbh.

Letting the vets walk in FA was not obvious, as you want to make it seem, and hardly a "given"; you yourself have said the Spurs have been failing to pick a path, and in that vein of not picking, re-signing the vets was absolutely a possibility. So, far from brushing it off, why don't you acknowledge that this was a big step in the right direction? Not to mention, you and I both know you'd absolutely be complaining about bad asset management if the Spurs really let DDR walk for nothing; I've read previous posts by you complaining about the same thing. Now that they do get something for him, you wanna get picky on the specifics? Come on... SA ain't LA. No endless possibilities here.

Secondly, I don't understand your insistence on McBuckets somehow being an "impediment" to the tank/direction and "conflicting plans". He's just a vet... A drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things. I think I've told you already - we might have to agree to disagree here - but I don't believe you can have a roster filled with under-25yo prospects all running around like headless chickens, and no vet presences on the team to right the locker room ship. And we signed the guy on a small-market-value deal, it's not like we maxed him and expect the world from him, he can literally come off the bench, Patty Mills style. I'll flip your question - would you rather have had McBuckets, or Thrillz, filling that shooter vet role? I sure know my answer

I understand thinking "oh, they could've done this, could've done that". But we don't know anything that goes behind close doors regarding FOs - I'm not about to start grading trades and signings on the belief that random, self-created scenarios should've happened, but didn't. Maybe that's just the optimist in me, I don't really care - I have no information to believe or disprove it. From the intel we have, the trades (except for Zollins, I'm not on board with that turd ass even if he's healthy) don't look nearly as bad as your apocalyptic posts make them seem.

It's why we started out the convo on my remark that you "drown in a glass of water". And here we are, with the biggest news by far in the off-season that DeRozan, a player almost universally loathed in this forum and fanbase, is finally off the team... And you're still in' about things? You see where I was coming from? Seriously, Dude, I understand things might not have worked out perfectly to your scenarios, but from where I'm standing, we're looking pretty in' good right now.

No vets to hog the ball down anymore, with the Mid 3 all gone; an entire "prove it" season for the young core to finally see what we have in Lonnie, DJ, Vassell, White, everyone; a lot of short-term deals aiming at freeing up a lot of cap space (I think it was $30M?) for next season's FA class which by all accounts seems to be better than this one; and the prospect of a tank, to go exactly for the player the team has always been missing (and ST has been obnoxiously clear that we're missing): a true lottery talent, #1 option.

-

So let me answer your questions: yes, Dude, they absolutely sped up the rebuild with these moves, to the point that I have to think you're purposefully obtuse if you don't see it. They definitely moved away from the playoffs, losing DeRozan alone was gonna do that, nevermind signing a redshirt player and no other big names. And no, they certainly (hopefully! we never know...) have moved away from the 8-12 seed "purgatory" state every team loathes. Like, seriously, you're missing the forest for the tree if these are real questions you're asking yourself....

We still don't know if the Spurs have more moves up their sleeve, but assuming this is "it", I'd give this off-season a resoundingly positive mark. Could've been better? You bet. But it's mighty ing good, and a sight for sore eyes for those of us (especially you, season ticket holder!) that have been subject to three straight seasons of the DeRozan-LMA Midrange Circus team. Praise the Lord, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure DeRozan is still trying to convince someone he's still worth $15+ million.
    28M

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that trade w tha bulls for Young & Aminu, who are older, was good. How do u thnk they're gonna do w pop ?? How many expiring contact dealers have done well w pop in their lone season under pop??

Ppl are high on them but if they DNT succeed, ya think mayb it's pop? The league has changed allot, pop hasn't!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is this yall king?

lmao he is holding out with nowhere to go.

you idiots wanted to max him and just give him a position in our core before you knew the first ing thing about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    E: I apologize in advance for the length of this post my guy, I'll try and keep 'em shorter for next time, wasn't checking while writing
    Don't worry. Nobody reads the essays you write. I just skip them like everybody else

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shams Charania
    ShamsCharania
    17s
    Free agent guard George Hill plans to sign with the Bucks after clearing waivers and the opening of league year Aug. 6, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. The veteran PG is set to return to Milwaukee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At this point, Dude, it's clear to me that you're kind of -bent on looking at everything the Spurs do in the worst possible light. Possibly to confirm your pre-existing biases. I wouldn't take the time to answer you if I didn't believe you truly want to discuss in earnest, because you have troll-levels of bad optics regarding any move the Spurs do, it's astounding tbh.

Letting the vets walk in FA was not obvious, as you want to make it seem, and hardly a "given"; you yourself have said the Spurs have been failing to pick a path, and in that vein of not picking, re-signing the vets was absolutely a possibility. So, far from brushing it off, why don't you acknowledge that this was a big step in the right direction? Not to mention, you and I both know you'd absolutely be complaining about bad asset management if the Spurs really let DDR walk for nothing; I've read previous posts by you complaining about the same thing. Now that they do get something for him, you wanna get picky on the specifics? Come on... SA ain't LA. No endless possibilities here.

Secondly, I don't understand your insistence on McBuckets somehow being an "impediment" to the tank/direction and "conflicting plans". He's just a vet... A drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things. I think I've told you already - we might have to agree to disagree here - but I don't believe you can have a roster filled with under-25yo prospects all running around like headless chickens, and no vet presences on the team to right the locker room ship. And we signed the guy on a small-market-value deal, it's not like we maxed him and expect the world from him, he can literally come off the bench, Patty Mills style. I'll flip your question - would you rather have had McBuckets, or Thrillz, filling that shooter vet role? I sure know my answer

I understand thinking "oh, they could've done this, could've done that". But we don't know anything that goes behind close doors regarding FOs - I'm not about to start grading trades and signings on the belief that random, self-created scenarios should've happened, but didn't. Maybe that's just the optimist in me, I don't really care - I have no information to believe or disprove it. From the intel we have, the trades (except for Zollins, I'm not on board with that turd ass even if he's healthy) don't look nearly as bad as your apocalyptic posts make them seem.

It's why we started out the convo on my remark that you "drown in a glass of water". And here we are, with the biggest news by far in the off-season that DeRozan, a player almost universally loathed in this forum and fanbase, is finally off the team... And you're still in' about things? You see where I was coming from? Seriously, Dude, I understand things might not have worked out perfectly to your scenarios, but from where I'm standing, we're looking pretty in' good right now.

No vets to hog the ball down anymore, with the Mid 3 all gone; an entire "prove it" season for the young core to finally see what we have in Lonnie, DJ, Vassell, White, everyone; a lot of short-term deals aiming at freeing up a lot of cap space (I think it was $30M?) for next season's FA class which by all accounts seems to be better than this one; and the prospect of a tank, to go exactly for the player the team has always been missing (and ST has been obnoxiously clear that we're missing): a true lottery talent, #1 option.

-

So let me answer your questions: yes, Dude, they absolutely sped up the rebuild with these moves, to the point that I have to think you're purposefully obtuse if you don't see it. They definitely moved away from the playoffs, losing DeRozan alone was gonna do that, nevermind signing a redshirt player and no other big names. And no, they certainly (hopefully! we never know...) have moved away from the 8-12 seed "purgatory" state every team loathes. Like, seriously, you're missing the forest for the tree if these are real questions you're asking yourself....

We still don't know if the Spurs have more moves up their sleeve, but assuming this is "it", I'd give this off-season a resoundingly positive mark. Could've been better? You bet. But it's mighty ing good, and a sight for sore eyes for those of us (especially you, season ticket holder!) that have been subject to three straight seasons of the DeRozan-LMA Midrange Circus team. Praise the Lord, tbh.
    Excellent post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s all good - I definitely do want to discuss it in earnest. I dont troll. I may be witty, but it’s not trolling. I don’t think I look at it in the worst possible light at all. I for years though a have been beating a drum and been very clear on the path(s) I thought SA should take. I’ve explained my logic and all possible caveats.

When it doesn’t happen, it’s not me seeking out a way of being negative; it’s me having clear ideas and things not happening that way. Beyond that, I feel like I also admit the good aspects too and I dont think many would argue even what you call seeking out negatives as illogical or unreasonable given said context over the years leading up to this pivotal moment.

Again, context is needed. When I saw obvious, of course I am not talking about the FO . Nothing is obvious to them. I mean to most people with a brain outside of the FO and around the league. Secondly, I absolutely was on the trade DDR/Rudy/Mills train for something - but it was not just for the sake of it or for anything. I advocated for this 2 years ago when they actually had more value. I wanted SA to get to this spot quicker, have more years to decide on the youth and to get as much draft capital to make moves with.

So now that they waited until the last second, nuked their values? Yeah I am going to nitpick because the situation changed and getting something for them now vs 2 years ago now comes at the expense of cap space. Huge difference and key context.

Again context matters. I never said “only youth under 25” or that McBuckets doesn’t help the youth. Never. I said it’s conflicting strategies. It’s crystal clear SA prioritized youth and cap flexibility next year (not signing Collins or Lauri or anyone to a huge multi year deal). They did a S&T with strictly expiring contracts. So again, does Doug at 29 fit the timeline of growing with the youth? No. Does he fit the strategy of maximizing cap space next year? No. That’s conflicting and I dont see how that is debatable.

You may want to debate if he is WORTH conflicting the strategy for (he isn’t), but there is no debating it shows a lack of cohesive plan IMO. I would even be fine with Doug at 25M a year….if it was one year. AT least that makes sense with their other moves. As of now, rushing to sign Doug who is older and sucks on defense and punting cap space for that? Yeah, makes no sense with with the subsequent moves they made. Thats not being negative that is truth.

You can use words like apocalyptic posts and that’s all fun but it’s not reality. Re-read my posts…I have routinely said, they avoided any costly mistakes. That they at least avoided big landmines. That is not apocalyptic at all. That’s reasonable and also true. That doesnt change the other critics though and all the meat they continue to leave on the bone. We dont know all the deals; you’re right. But we know its’ a results business and they failed to trade any vets when they had value, missed the playoffs, ran back the same team, missed playoffs again then had 50M in cap space and a lottery pick.

I am sorry, but that isn’t good enough job no matter what; even if they did “ok”.

Agree - Ive said freeing the youth was the way for years now and great, the finally did it. All good there and no beef. Although they did add back 3 vets, 2 of which can’t shoot.

But the cap space stuff? yeah, that’s where it gets debatable. Sounds great to say “30M still!” But in reality if that was their plan to maximize space they failed. They should have 50M next year and now put themselves in a corner IF they need it to have to dump Collins and Doug? Why? Why paint yourself into that corner for no good reason…sign one year deal guys, your are losing anyways, and dont risk 22M in cap space for trades/free agents for the likes of Collins and Doug. It makes no sense no matter how you look at it and again, thats no being negative; it’s truth.

Context: They speed up the rebuild in your mind because DDR/Mills/Rudy are gone, but they were all FA. SA didn’t have to do anything for them to go. When I say “speed up rebuild” I am talking about having 50M in cap space + a lottery pick. Did they use that treasure trove of assets to speed up their rebuild and give them selves a brighter future?

There is no way in you can say, IMO respectfully, that this is a resounding success. That is an absolutely ludicrous position to take. It’s like 100x the inverse of you calling me negative .

They did ok. They did bare min. They also squandered an amazing opportunity to really do more for the franchise here even if it didn’t set them back too much either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those of you thinking that this is a tank are 100% wrong. This will not be a tank until they start moving players like Derek White and dejounte Murray. There's enough talent on this team as it's constructed right now to at least win 30-plus games. The strategy going into the season is obviously to see what the young players have and if any of them can make a leap but this is 100% not a tank.
    I agree but the fact that you have to explain that we are not in tank mode tells you all you need to know.

The fact the Spurs wasted 3 yrs on contracts for McDermott, an injured Collins, and two other role players to eat up 44 of 50 million dollars is an abject failure.

Just ing abysmal stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk why so many posters are hung up on John Collins. Signing him with the max would literally make Spurs exactly what we all feared they'd be with DDR, a treadmill team with a seriously overpayed player on a multi year deal.
    dude we have McDermott and Collins on 3 yr deals that ate up HALF of our cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are legitimate reasons to think the team might perform better by replacing DeRozan with either Young or McDermott in the starting line up tbh. DeRozan's production is easily replaceable by playing a 3-point shooter or capable defender instead. Bench unit should be worse though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude we have McDermott and Collins on 3 yr deals that ate up HALF of our cap space.
    And which superstar did we have waiting on the wings to spend that cap space on? None!

We're not the Lakers. Superstars are not gonna come here until we have a one of our own on the roster. Meaning we gotta draft one first and the best way to do that is getting a top 5 pick. Spending max cap on the likes of Collins actually hurts the tank, because it moves towards the path of becoming a treadmill team.

As far as signing McBuckets and Collins. Neither one moves the needle for this team as constructed. McBuckets is provides vet presence. As far as Collins, he may not even play till after the all-star break and is his deal even fully guaranteed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

-

Your best post that I have ever read!

I haven’t read them all mind you. I’ll add that for all the criticism on McBucketts (mostly bc his signing conflicted with the J.Collins max scenario that some fans hoped for), I never thought that Collins wanted to be a Spur to begin with. He leveraged the Spurs interest to get more money from ATL and that’s all that was.

Going back to McBucketts, he’s a lower usage player, and off ball player. He’s a complementary player to hopefully the team’s blossoming playmakers. Completely the opposite of the veterans the team had. Bucketts helps their development and I specially agree with you, even the youngest of teams need one or two veterans bc the season is a grind and the veterans help steady the mood, deal with frustration and usually encourage the youth.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 08-03-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Shorten

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tony Jones @Tjonesonthenba
    48m
    Deal is worth 6.7 million, according to league sources

Tony Jones @Tjonesonthenba

Georges Niang has agreed to a two year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers, league sources tell The Athletic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins was a bad deal though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins was a bad deal though.
    Its odd and makes no sense. Unless the Spurs know something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think that's a great trade?
    Yes. Most posters here are monkey brain garbage. It's hilarious how stupid this site is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some available free agents

Shooting guards

Player Team Age FA Type Starting Salary
    Danny Green PHI 34 Starter $8-10M
    Hamidou Diallo ® DET 23 Starter $8-10M
    Lou Williams ATL 34 Rotation A $6-8M
    Victor Oladipo MIA 29 Key Reserve $4-6M
    J.J. Re DAL 37 Rotation A $4-6M

Svi Mykhailiuk ® OKC 24 Key Reserve $4-6M