Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After giving it some thought, this board had a typical overreaction meltdown.

Is Brian Wright a bad GM? Yes, he's shown nothing to make us think otherwise.

But which free agents we missed out on? I don't see a single name that was a realistic target for us.

John Collins is obviously still in play and will be offered a max. He can't sign before Friday, anyway.

McDermott? A bit of an overpay, but when you're not a contender, that's to be expected. And considering the deals Duncan Robinson, THJ and some others got, it's a fair deal.
    He's an upgrade over Rudy and Patty.

Zach Collins? I don't like this one because I don't think he'll ever be healthy again, especially because it's a 3 year deal, but it's not like cap space used on him would turn this roster in a contender.
    On the other hand, if he does get healthy, he could even become a starter. Will be worth double the deal he got. Small market teams stuck in purgatory have to take risks. I don't like 3 year contract, but at least it's a risk instead of another average signing that wouldn't change anything.

There was not a single player we could get that would be a guaranteed thing and that would take this team to the next level.
    It's all about the guys who're already on the roster and if they can take the next step.

If DJ, Derrick and Lonnie can't elevate their game now that Demar, Patty and Rudy aren't there to suffocate them and keep chucking, then no matter who we get in FA nothing will change.

The only big mistake was not trading those 3 on the deadline for some assets.

If we don't get Markkanen or Oubre, I'll call this FA a success.
    Just take some bad expiring contracts and try again next year if Collins rejects us.

And don't bring back Patty or Demar.

Even if we get Collins, he's not a first option for a playoff team, it's still all on DJ, Derrick and Lonnie.

Either the young guys suck and we get a top10 pick or they improve. Win-win.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ahh someone who makes sense instead of just meltdown. we dont do that here.

though the ultimate meltdown will come once we sign back derozan

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Collins here on the max or he is back in Atlanta for the max or near max. No one else has any money to pay him. It's a two team race at this point. Sign and Trade possible if a 3rd team is involved but somebody has to give that 3rd team something good like a draft pick or young player and not sure the spurs are hawks will want to do that.

2. Sign and Trade Lauri for Derozan. Spurs get a guy they have wanted and Derozan gets somewhat close to the money he wants.

3. If Sign and Trade for Lauri then enough money for one more player. Patty might come back for whatever is left.
    I think that's exactly where we are..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking about that too. The question is who gets an asset and can other players be included or is it DeRozan for Collins straight up?
    I think it would be straight up but unbalanced salaries.... Say Derozan at $15M and JC at the max.... they might be haggling over doing this and replacing Derozan with DJ or White depending on if they value Derozan's scoring or perimeter defense more. At any rate it'd be an unbalanced Trade. Also, if it were white or dj we'd have about $16M in space left to use elsewhere or work a S&T for DeRozan elsewhere to get back assets...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's exactly where we are..
    4. S&T DeRozan to WAS for Kuz & Deni. :-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it would be straight up but unbalanced salaries.... Say Derozan at $15M and JC at the max.... they might be haggling over doing this and replacing Derozan with DJ or White depending on if they value Derozan's scoring or perimeter defense more. At any rate it'd be an unbalanced Trade. Also, if it were white or dj we'd have about $16M in space left to use elsewhere or work a S&T for DeRozan elsewhere to get back assets...
    I don’t think DeRozan at 16 million is realistic. More like DeRozan at 24 and Collins at 24 Million straight up or something like that. I‘m more than ok with that.

I‘m also not a fan of a Collins/DeRozan forward combo. That wouldn’t be ideal defensively and we all know that DeRozan hurts the spacing and needs the ball in his hand. Just roll with Collins and let DeMar leave.
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 08-03-2021 at 08:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After giving it some thought, this board had a typical overreaction meltdown.

Is Brian Wright a bad GM? Yes, he's shown nothing to make us think otherwise.

But which free agents we missed out on? I don't see a single name that was a realistic target for us.

John Collins is obviously still in play and will be offered a max. He can't sign before Friday, anyway.

McDermott? A bit of an overpay, but when you're not a contender, that's to be expected. And considering the deals Duncan Robinson, THJ and some others got, it's a fair deal.
    He's an upgrade over Rudy and Patty.

Zach Collins? I don't like this one because I don't think he'll ever be healthy again, especially because it's a 3 year deal, but it's not like cap space used on him would turn this roster in a contender.
    On the other hand, if he does get healthy, he could even become a starter. Will be worth double the deal he got. Small market teams stuck in purgatory have to take risks. I don't like 3 year contract, but at least it's a risk instead of another average signing that wouldn't change anything.

There was not a single player we could get that would be a guaranteed thing and that would take this team to the next level.
    It's all about the guys who're already on the roster and if they can take the next step.

If DJ, Derrick and Lonnie can't elevate their game now that Demar, Patty and Rudy aren't there to suffocate them and keep chucking, then no matter who we get in FA nothing will change.

The only big mistake was not trading those 3 on the deadline for some assets.

If we don't get Markkanen or Oubre, I'll call this FA a success.
    Just take some bad expiring contracts and try again next year if Collins rejects us.

And don't bring back Patty or Demar.

Even if we get Collins, he's not a first option for a playoff team, it's still all on DJ, Derrick and Lonnie.

Either the young guys suck and we get a top10 pick or they improve. Win-win.
    the thing is that won’t be the case. We either get Collins or they will resign DeRozan. No chance they gonna let him go if Collins is off the table.

Also if they would’ve just not signed anybody Spurs could sign Collins and still work out a sign-and-trade for DeRozan. That’s the thing. Or add Collins and still resign DeRozan since the market for him is that low. It all depends on if they get Collins. Then I wouldn’t be mad at the moves they made, but other than that this looks like a bad offseason so far

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the thing is that won’t be the case. We either get Collins or they will resign DeRozan. No chance they gonna let him go if Collins is off the table.

Also if they would’ve just not signed anybody Spurs could sign Collins and still work out a sign-and-trade for DeRozan. That’s the thing. Or add Collins and still resign DeRozan since the market for him is that low. It all depends on if they get Collins. Then I wouldn’t be mad at the moves they made, but other than that this looks like a bad offseason so far

It's a bad offseason if Demar stays, but how can you call it bad right now? Which other moves were there to be made?

Imo, Dallas messed up badly and I can see KP for Demar S&T happening if we don't get Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think DeRozan at 16 million is realistic. More like DeRozan at 24 and Collins at 24 Million straight up or something like that. I‘m more than ok with that
    could be wrong but DeMar has no leverage to be picky about how much he thinks he should make

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think DeRozan at 16 million is realistic. More like DeRozan at 24 and Collins at 24 Million straight up or something like that. I‘m more than ok with that.

I‘m also not a fan of a Collins/DeRozan forward combo. That wouldn’t be ideal defensively and we all know that DeRozan hurts the spacing and needs the ball in his hand. Just roll with Collins and let DeMar leave.
    I don't think Atlanta does it if the salaries are equal. They'd just keep JC in that scenario. I agree with you on not pairing Derozan and JC... I wouldn't want to see that pairing...if we got JC then Derozan needs to be part of the deal or head to another team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bad offseason if Demar stays, but how can you call it bad right now? Which other moves were there to be made?

Imo, Dallas messed up badly and I can see KP for Demar S&T happening if we don't get Collins.
    I would hate that move. I think they should’ve waited to be honest. You could’ve gotten Collins and Markkanen for example. The market dried up pretty fast, so players like Markkanen or Oubre (not that I‘m a fan of them) can be had for less than expected I assume. Plus more flexibility in doing sign-and-trades for DeRozan and Mills. I think that was the right move, not doing anything. Of course it all depends on what kind of deal they got on the table right now that we don’t know of. To me it’s all about Collins. That’s the only player that would move the needle

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could be wrong but DeMar has no leverage to be picky about how much he thinks he should make
    Spurs are just nice. But yeah he has no say as spurs can sign Collins outright. It's just being nice if we offer DeMar

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like there are still plenty of options on the table at this point.

Max offer to Collins, see what happens
    S&T Derozz to Atlanta for Collins
    S&T Derozz to Chicago for Lauri
    Offer to Lauri
    S&T Derozz to Toronto for Siakam
    Offer to Lauri and 2nd offer to Oubre
    S&T Derozz 3 way deal involving Miami
    and on and on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF there is a trade for Collins, I think Samanic is part of the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much chatter and giving way too much credit to the worst FO in the league about some possible creative moves

They're bringing Demar back and calling it an offseason, just wait tbh.

It's disgusting how many former Spurs front office guys are around the league while this team is left with a couple of TOSB has-beens and a guy that is completely out of his element in Brian Wrong. Just embarrassing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lack of leverage on the player's side has never, ever prevented this dumbass FO from shooting themselves in the foot tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waiting for that Reggie Jackson 3 year/24 Million contract for The Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Spurs fans be ok with this:

SA Gets: John Collins + Thad Young + top 5 protected first from CHI

ATL Gets: Dejounte

CHI Gets: Derozan

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why would we need Young?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would we need Young?
    To make the S&T work and he’s off the books next season

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No not Dejounte. More like Samanic or Walker.

Dejounte, White, Keldon, Vassell are the franchise pieces

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At least one Spurs fan would be ok with this.
    I’d guess ATL needs another asset to bring this deal home.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yup

Thread Information