Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

Anyway, can someone confirm this is the last day to extend him? Or is it tomorrow?
    Yeah today is the last day to decide who to cut and who to extend or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah today is the last day to decide who to cut and who to extend or not.
    Thanks bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No problem, 6 PM ET is the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just FYI, the deadline for extensions for this draft class is 6 PM, EST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not NOT extending him, at this point. IIRC, both DJs and White’s extensions happened on the last day. They have an offer on the table, and I’m sure Lonnie and his representatives have a figure they want. If the Spurs think that the number they have offered is wildly below market, they may make a final offer to avoid having to match next summer. If not, the extension deadline will pass, and he’ll play for the QO, and be restricted next summer.
    Thanks for the explanation. Lonnie is a good kid who is only 22 years, and a great character both on and off the court. He gets alomg well with the other players, and he’s always out there helping the community. I don’t see him being all about the money in that he likes to win than anything else. He’s a team player, Manu-esque very much like Derek. But sometimes that unselfishness gets the better of him. I wish he could be more selfish and get his own. He is an athletic freak who can have a very high ceiling if he gets them together. Unlike Samanic, he is not lazy about it, but again maybe too unselfish. I see him taking the offer because again he is not all about the money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Save the money for Vassel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its still early, but not like he's done to earn one yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its still early, but not like he's done to earn one yet
    He played very well last year before he caught covid. Elite perimeter defense, and 40% from beyond the arc. He wasn’t the same after his hiatus. I expect a lot from him this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll go against the grain and say I hope they extend him today.

I don't think the non-security of playing for a QO will make Lonnie play significantly hungrier than he would otherwise play, especially now that we've seen Primo is a capable player and practically "stepping on his toes". He's got the hunger already; his question marks lie elsewhere. And given that, and given his sub-par performances up to now, this would be an excellent time to snag him on the cheap (someone mentioned 4/40 and I think that's a great number) and not have the risk of a breakout year performance and having to overpay him later on (I can already see ST experts crying about not having extended him sooner...).

Besides, given Lonnie's youth, eye-popping athleticism, and above-average shooting, any extension that falls somewhere along $10-12M/per is bound to be good value and easily tradeable should the Spurs want to move on from him down the line. This isn't a DJ o DW situation where you'll be dropping close to $70M on a player. Barring injury, I see Lonnie outplaying a reasonable extension; maybe not this season, but the next one. He's still too raw around the edges, so the hope is that a season of increased usage, role, burn, teaches him the things that riding the bench (obviously) didn't.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll go against the grain and say I hope they extend him today.

I don't think the non-security of playing for a QO will make Lonnie play significantly hungrier than he would otherwise play, especially now that we've seen Primo is a capable player and practically "stepping on his toes". He's got the hunger already; his question marks lie elsewhere. And given that, and given his sub-par performances up to now, this would be an excellent time to snag him on the cheap (someone mentioned 4/40 and I think that's a great number) and not have the risk of a breakout year performance and having to overpay him later on (I can already see ST experts crying about not having extended him sooner...).

Besides, given Lonnie's youth, eye-popping athleticism, and above-average shooting, any extension that falls somewhere along $10-12M/per is bound to be good value and easily tradeable should the Spurs want to move on from him down the line. This isn't a DJ o DW situation where you'll be dropping close to $70M on a player. Barring injury, I see Lonnie outplaying a reasonable extension; maybe not this season, but the next one. He's still too raw around the edges, so the hope is that a season of increased usage, role, burn, teaches him the things that riding the bench (obviously) didn't.
    This blind faith or you see something he improved in the preseason?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disregarding the ceiling for the moment, his compe ion seems to be Forbes. That’s not great. I think he has a future and can improve but I question if it’s in this system/team, unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This blind faith or you see something he improved in the preseason?
    I didn't catch a single preseason game due to personal reasons, tbh, so no eyeball-test from me at least. Just "hope", or rather, I like Lonnie as a player, despite his shortcomings, and also think it makes sense for the Spurs to keep him for at least a couple more years. Not only is he a very intriguing player if/when he "puts it all together", but also, he fills a position and role of need as a floor spacer, high-volume-shooting, dynamic guard.

I do think eventually Primo will take his role, and even DWhite's role, as the definitive starting SG, but I don't think he's quite there yet, maybe a year in Austin and another one in the bench away from truly being starter material. In the meantime, either Lonnie or, idk, Forbes, can fill out this role, and I'd damn rather have the former than the latter, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

C'mon RC, lock him up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

C'mon RC, lock him up
    Manu can only teach skills, not desire or hustle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if your reason for extending Lonnie is that Manu is an assistant, i have no words

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu was/is smart
    Lonnie well…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu can only teach skills, not desire or hustle.
    I think the desire is there. It’s more like being less unselfish. Pop had to push Kawhi also to come out from that s , barking at TP to give Kawhi the ball, albeit Lonnie still misses defensive assignments, but he’s asking questions, trying to get better, unlike Samanic. I like Lonnie, and by the end of the day, I want him in my team. He’s a good character kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sure am glad more of this couldn't have been figured out last year.

Seeing LMA, Gay, Patty n Forbes develop was surely a necessity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lonnie is willing to take 4/$40mil it's a no brainer tbh. Either he takes a step forward and the contract becomes a bargain or he doesn't and you can sell another team on him for his "potential" and move him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i havent seen him justify earning 10 mil per year tbh

gerald green used to sign contracts for under 2-3 mil per year all time and he was a better version of the Lonnie we've seen

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does one have to do with the other? Pretty sure the Spurs can go over the cap for Vasell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Huerter just got 4 years 65 million drafted the pick right after Lonnie in the same draft.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Huerter just got 4 years 65 million drafted the pick right after Lonnie in the same draft.
    They have similar stat lines as well. That's too rich for me. 10-12 million is the sweet spot I wouldn't hate a reach to 14 if he actually has a good season but 16 is way too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have similar stat lines as well. That's too rich for me. 10-12 million is the sweet spot I wouldn't hate a reach to 14 if he actually has a good season but 16 is way too much.
    I agree, Landry Shamet just got 4 years 43 million, he was drafted the year prior.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is past 6 PM EST so it looks like no extension for Lonnie.

Thread Information