My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deadline could be 6pm West Coast time.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the desire is there. It’s more like being less unselfish. Pop had to push Kawhi also to come out from that s , barking at TP to give Kawhi the ball, albeit Lonnie still misses defensive assignments, but he’s asking questions, trying to get better, unlike Samanic. I like Lonnie, and by the end of the day, I want him in my team. He’s a good character kid.
    Thats all you can ask and he showing the willingness. He just needs his coach to back him full tilt this season.

He still managed to average 11 playing along other ball dominent players and a coach not fully invested in him. With Demar, Patty and Rudy gone. , the opps will be there to breakout. Pop has to put him in position to succeed. The security of a contract may have had Lonnie keeping his approach the same . This season his approach has to be different and yes Be more selfish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deadline could be 6pm West Coast time.
    Nope. All deadlines are based on NY, where NBA HQ is. Eastern Standard Time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn’t agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is past 6 PM EST so it looks like no extension for Lonnie.
    good

im always hoping to be proven wrong, but he doesnt look like he's really on a trajectory to justify an extension. nobody doubts the talent is there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if your reason for extending Lonnie is that Manu is an assistant, i have no words
    I would ask for you to show me wherever the I said that, but I know the answer already...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the desire is there. It’s more like being less unselfish. Pop had to push Kawhi also to come out from that s , barking at TP to give Kawhi the ball, albeit Lonnie still misses defensive assignments, but he’s asking questions, trying to get better, unlike Samanic. I like Lonnie, and by the end of the day, I want him in my team. He’s a good character kid.
    Yep. Too bad they didn't extend him; I could see the reasoning though, especially if, as everyone's saying, he's not been showing much improvements during preseason, even though it's hardly a good measuring stick for how a player will pan out through the year. Definitely agree that the desire is there (either some folks here don't know what "desire" looks like, or they can't distinguish between not wanting to do something and not (yet?) being able to, not sure which is worse).

We'll see whether he has a season that makes the Spurs regret this move, but it'd not be such a big deal either: if he plays out in such a way as to command big offers in FA, it'd definitely be more of a win for the Spurs' talent-ridden team to have one of their own blossoming like that, than the "lose" of having to match whatever offer. I'm cautiously optimistic (as with most facets regarding the next season tbh, now that the Mid 3 show is over).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Too bad they didn't extend him; I could see the reasoning though, especially if, as everyone's saying, he's not been showing much improvements during preseason, even though it's hardly a good measuring stick for how a player will pan out through the year. Definitely agree that the desire is there (either some folks here don't know what "desire" looks like, or they can't distinguish between not wanting to do something and not (yet?) being able to, not sure which is worse).

We'll see whether he has a season that makes the Spurs regret this move, but it'd not be such a big deal either: if he plays out in such a way as to command big offers in FA, it'd definitely be more of a win for the Spurs' talent-ridden team to have one of their own blossoming like that, than the "lose" of having to match whatever offer. I'm cautiously optimistic (as with most facets regarding the next season tbh, now that the Mid 3 show is over).
    I feel the move is to make him prove himself than any other. Besides Samanic (which ship has sailed), I have high hopes on Lonnie to be a high ceiling guy and I’m rooting for him to have a breakout year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie with a potentially instagram-baller emotional post, he kinda cropped out the spurs jersey out of the photo he posted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie with a potentially instagram-baller emotional post, he kinda cropped out the spurs jersey out of the photo he posted
    That'll really show Pop.

Maybe he should figure out what to do once he breaks down his first defender, or...you know, just do something that resembles defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good move on several fronts:

1. You can't pay everyone and KJ and Devin will be up soon. We'll probably have another expensive high draft pick on the books next year too.
    2. Maybe it will put some fire in Lonnie. Or attention to detail or whatever he lacks.
    3. It'll send a message to the younger guys that extensions are earned. After DJ and White, maybe most of our high draft picks sort of EXPECTED they'd get that extension. This is a reminder you must work and develop (As White and especially DJ did). Luka being cut plus no-Lonnie extension show nothing is given to you. Must be earned. Good message for KJ, Devin, Primo, etc.
    4. If he does break out, he may be worth a big contract given his athleticism. If he's meh or begins to lose time to Primo and Forbes(!) then even 4/40 is way too much and we should be happy we didn't do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, for the backup SG position it was either an overpaid Lonnie or an underpaid Forbes. Can’t believe I would ever use “underpaid” to describe Forbes, but relative to Lonnie he is. If Forbes continues his play from pre-season, that’s not a bad off-the-bench player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully they can give him some early burn and try to flip vs letting him walk for nothing like another first rounder Luka.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would be a goddamn fool to re-sign under Popovich lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully they can give him some early burn and try to flip vs letting him walk for nothing like another first rounder Luka.
    Luka didn’t walk for nothing, he was shown the door for sub par performance and effort. Spurs still have Lonnie’s matching rights next summer, so if he were to totally blow up this season, he’ll be retained. Lonnie bet on himself, and the Spurs bet on the SG market.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will be curious to see if his minutes change after this, especially when Tre returns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will be curious to see if his minutes change after this, especially when Tre returns.
    This is probably what will happen. Lonnie will get Trey Lyle’d. Team needs to see what Tre has to offer.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. The team has a way of minimizing minutes sometimes, often for good reason, but sometimes to lower their value, in my opinion. But hey, we’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably what will happen. Lonnie will get Trey Lyle’d. Team needs to see what Tre has to offer.
    Not my boy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, for the backup SG position it was either an overpaid Lonnie or an underpaid Forbes. Can’t believe I would ever use “underpaid” to describe Forbes, but relative to Lonnie he is. If Forbes continues his play from pre-season, that’s not a bad off-the-bench player.
    Facepalm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. The team has a way of minimizing minutes sometimes, often for good reason, but sometimes to lower their value, in my opinion. But hey, we’ll see.
    While Lonnie got 31 min last night, wtf was he taken out after leading the team to the 13 point lead?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Facepalm, indeed. He didn’t continue his play from pre-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Lonnie got 31 min last night, wtf was he taken out after leading the team to the 13 point lead?
    i thought the same thing although i'll admit that i wasn't paying too much attention to how he was doing defensively. still, we needed offense and during that pivotal 3rd quarter run the lakers had-and lonnie was on the bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not signing him is making him hungry out there. Spurs could end up paying more as a result, but it would be all worth it.

Thread Information