Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something’s happened recently. He’s made 3 in each of the last 2 games, and as Sean pointed out, his FTs even look better.
    Makes me wonder what they do in the offseason work outs. Are they just out of shape in the beginning of the year and are shooting on dead legs? Is it a problem with our strength and conditioning coach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes me wonder what they do in the offseason work outs. Are they just out of shape in the beginning of the year and are shooting on dead legs? Is it a problem with our strength and conditioning coach?
    KJ was one of the Covid kids last year. He said that even when he came back, he was out of breath quickly. He may have finally just recovered and gotten his wind back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KJ was one of the Covid kids last year. He said that even when he came back, he was out of breath quickly. He may have finally just recovered and gotten his wind back.
    Nah he wasn't complaining about Covid issues in the offseason. Last year during the season yes but he got his wind back by the end of it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah. the recovery from Covid for athletes can take some time and that has been observed amongst many players in different leagues. the bulls are going to have some problems even when they get their full roster back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate when people use just FG% to make an argument. The dude is barely averaging 1 made three a game and he is getting WIDE open looks. He's not even close to the top 50 in three pointers made. He's made 33 all year long. That puts him 20 made 3s from number 50. If one made 3 a game is what we are paying Chip for then yes he's doing a fantastic job.
    I mean if youw ant more context than percentage you might want to start off with the fact hatt he only hit 4 threes in the first 11 games. So he's made 29 in the last 15 games which is almost double 1 per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO Keldon's good shooting is due to one thing: Confidence. He started off the year ice cold and it spiraled to the point where he was passing up shots and refusing to take them at all. The fact that he's currently in so high in percentage is a testament to how dramatic that turnaround has been for him. People need to give these players an entire season to see where they are at, but I am very pleased with where Keldon, a 30th pick in the draft, currently is..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean if youw ant more context than percentage you might want to start off with the fact hatt he only hit 4 threes in the first 11 games. So he's made 29 in the last 15 games which is almost double 1 per game.
    So which Keldon is the real Keldon? You can't just ignore half the season. What if he goes back to sucking? He needs to be making near 2 a game for the rest of the year for his Fg% stat to really matter. Imo anyways. If you aren't making 140 threes in a season (or 1.75 a game) then to me you aren't on my 3 point list. If Keldon keeps up this pace then I agree he is doing his job at a high level. But otherwise, no point bringing up that he's a great shooter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude should be talking about Lonnie on this thread, not Keldon

I’m no stats guy, but I think Lonnie is shooting the lights out. I just feel it’s money every time he hurl those 3’s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude should be talking about Lonnie on this thread, not Keldon

I’m no stats guy, but I think Lonnie is shooting the lights out. I just feel it’s money every time he hurl those 3’s.

Statistically, Lonnie is shooting .295 on 3s, at 5 attempts per game. It’s money if you’re betting the under on total points scored. Lol. He should focus on the midrange, and on putting the dadgum ball in the dadgum basket on his fancy drives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Statistically, Lonnie is shooting .295 on 3s, at 5 attempts per game. It’s money if you’re betting the under on total points scored. Lol. He should focus on the midrange, and on putting the dadgum ball in the dadgum basket on his fancy drives.
    Yeah, he's shooting awfully since the start of the season for some reason, way below his shooting form of last year (haven't checked %s though, maybe it's closer than I think, but the dropoff has been noticeable even to the eye-test). But I disagree, he definitely needs to keep shooting 3's; not only because the only way to get out of a shooting slump is to shoot your way out of it, instead of starting to pass up shots and shy away from your game, but also because he's one of the few relatively good shooters on the team, so we need him to take those shots. Lastly, it's better for him value-wise to keep shooting even if he misses, as 3pt shooting is unarguably the most sought-after skill in the modern game, and a necessity for any guard.

His drives have been getting a lot better though, more consistent at least, there's definitely Manu influence there and I'm glad for it. Might take a while for him to flesh it out, but I like the development there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep rooting for Lonnie to improve to the point where discussions like this are moot. He is so damn graceful when he drives to the basket. But remember when he first came into the league. He'd make one of those great graceful drives and then miss the layup. (DJ did the same). But he's better at layups now, at least. And he doesn't lood so lost on defense. If he could take his athleticism to the defensive side, he'd be more of an asset. Shooting 3s isn't as difficult as some think when the strength and athleticism is there. Muscle memory is simply a matter of shooting hundreds of practice shots per day. Ice became the best shooter of his day by simply practicing shooting all day every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something’s happened recently. He’s made 3 in each of the last 2 games, and as Sean pointed out, his FTs even look better.

His shot is looking different compared to last year and early this year. The arc is noticeably tighter. It used to be a moon shot before. I'm sure we're witnessing the fruits of his labor with Coach Chip.

Otoh, he's completely abandoned midrange shots. He'll eventually have to start taking some once teams start running him off the 3pt line, assuming he keeps hitting them at a decent clip. Lets hope he's worked with Chip on that shot as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So which Keldon is the real Keldon? You can't just ignore half the season. What if he goes back to sucking? He needs to be making near 2 a game for the rest of the year for his Fg% stat to really matter. Imo anyways. If you aren't making 140 threes in a season (or 1.75 a game) then to me you aren't on my 3 point list. If Keldon keeps up this pace then I agree he is doing his job at a high level. But otherwise, no point bringing up that he's a great shooter
    I doubt the Keldon we're seeing now is the real Keldon as he's shot over .500 from 3 the last 2 months. But I do think his shot looks good, so if he can shoot over .400 for the season I'll be happy.

I definitely agree that we don't know if this is sustainable long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt the Keldon we're seeing now is the real Keldon as he's shot over .500 from 3 the last 2 months. But I do think his shot looks good, so if he can shoot over .400 for the season I'll be happy.

I definitely agree that we don't know if this is sustainable long term.
    I would be really happy if he could do that. At this point, that's all I want him focused on. he helps the offense so much if he just hits open 3s. I just have to accept this year that Pop is always gonna play him out of position. I just hope that doesn't stunt his growth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His shot is looking different compared to last year and early this year. The arc is noticeably tighter. It used to be a moon shot before. I'm sure we're witnessing the fruits of his labor with Coach Chip.

Otoh, he's completely abandoned midrange shots. He'll eventually have to start taking some once teams start running him off the 3pt line, assuming he keeps hitting them at a decent clip. Lets hope he's worked with Chip on that shot as well.
    Lonnie’s so fast he blows by his defender every time. Yeah I’m really excited with the fruits of working with Manu, that dog mentality, when to take over games. Yup Lonnie is the perfect Padawan to Obi Wan Ginobili

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie’s so fast he blows by his defender every time. Yeah I’m really excited with the fruits of working with Manu, that dog mentality, when to take over games. Yup Lonnie is the perfect Padawan to Obi Wan Ginobili
    My response was to the conversation regarding the recent bump in Keldon's 3p accuracy.

But I do agree about Lonnie working with Manu. There's no reason why shouldn't be more aggressive with his athleticism and he has shown some fairly good finishing moves. As to his jump shot, I've no idea why its off as badly as it is. Maybe it's just about confidence. If so, then consistently getting easy buckets at the rim should bump that up a bit.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought this thread was about Lonnie but according to this last page I am wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My response was to the conversation regarding the recent bump in Keldon's 3p accuracy.

But I do agree about Lonnie working with Manu. There's no reason why shouldn't be more aggressive with his athleticism and he has shown some fairly good finishing moves. As to his jump shot, I've no idea why its off as badly as it is. Maybe it's just about confidence. If so, then consistently getting easy buckets at the rim should bump that up a bit.
    His shot looks balanced on live tv. I actually think it's going in most of the time. Maybe the arc is a little low? Unsure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shot looks balanced on live tv. I actually think it's going in most of the time. Maybe the arc is a little low? Unsure.
    He adjusted it, since it formerly was so high, his shot would go out of the TV picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is shooting 30% from 3 in his last 10 games. The slump is still there. The good news is that he has had 4 games of shooting over .500 from the field in these last 10 games compared to 3 all the other ones combined. But the thing about Lonnie is he is so useless when he isn't scoring the ball that there's still no point extending him. Him and Bryn are cheap labor for what they provide but both can easily be replaced. If Lonnie is no longer on a cheap contract then he really doesn't have any value to the team. 4 years in and the question is still there. What does Lonnie do that's really good? What is his niche?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is shooting 30% from 3 in his last 10 games. The slump is still there. The good news is that he has had 4 games of shooting over .500 from the field in these last 10 games compared to 3 all the other ones combined. But the thing about Lonnie is he is so useless when he isn't scoring the ball that there's still no point extending him. Him and Bryn are cheap labor for what they provide but both can easily be replaced. If Lonnie is no longer on a cheap contract then he really doesn't have any value to the team. 4 years in and the question is still there. What does Lonnie do that's really good? What is his niche?
    Well, you pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

Lonnie's good for scoring.

Is he really good at scoring? Not at this point, at least.

Is the door still open for him to get better at it? Most definitely.

Do the Spurs think it's worth it to keep developing him into the realization of his potential? That's the real question...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

Lonnie's good for scoring.

Is he really good at scoring? Not at this point, at least.

Is the door still open for him to get better at it? Most definitely.

Do the Spurs think it's worth it to keep developing him into the realization of his potential? That's the real question...
    Yeah but you can always find empty calorie bench guys for points who don't play defense. Like if Lonnie wants $15 million next season then no thanks. I wouldn't even want him for Poeltl money. The dude scores once every 3 games. He's not even good for scoring. I know everyone s on Forbes (and rightfully so) but there isn't much difference between him and Lonnie in terms of production (both on offense and defense). There's a pretty strong case that replacing Lonnie with Forbes doesn't really hurt us in any way. For Forbes level money, I would re-sign him and hope he can improve, you can't even say continue to improve bc he hasn't improved at all this year. A one year 5 million deal or a 2 for 12 deal. That's about it.

Ironically he would thrive though on the Lakers and I can see him going there next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think Lonnie was pretty close to losing his spot in the rotation to Primo before this recent surge. Maybe that was finally a kick in the pants that he needed. There aren't going to be enough minutes at his position to just let him flounder forever. I don't think he'll last the year in the rotation without playing at least this level. Devin needs minutes and is a much better player, Tre deserves minutes, and Primo will probably get more minutes as the year goes on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think Lonnie was pretty close to losing his spot in the rotation to Primo before this recent surge. Maybe that was finally a kick in the pants that he needed. There aren't going to be enough minutes at his position to just let him flounder forever. I don't think he'll last the year in the rotation without playing at least this level. Devin needs minutes and is a much better player, Tre deserves minutes, and Primo will probably get more minutes as the year goes on.
    Devin should absolutely be playing over him, but I get that they’re trying to see if there is any reason to keep him after this season. In my mind, Forbes money as a ceiling, and only if he gets his 3 point shooting % back up in the high 30s. If he doesn’t, I wouldn’t even give him a QO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fabulous game winner vs Jazz.

Thread Information